Jordan Peterson's year of 'absolute hell': Professor forced to retreat....

[co...]

This is NOT a political comment but, it is a documented recently instituted Russian law that the Peterson family should be aware of while being a Russian guest:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/02/world/europe/russia-foreign-agents-law.html

"In Russia, an Updated Law With New Restrictions on Freedom of Speech:

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia on Monday signed a law that could require anyone distributing information and being paid from abroad to register as a foreign agent.

."

best wishes

I was unable to access the article. But from what I know it is definitely not safe there. I have been watching certain developments in Russia for some time that are becoming critical. I am politically neutral. My post is only to say things are heating up in that area of the world as I type this post.

Sadly, I know of a friend who was ruffed up, and then hospitalized and underwent surgery due to his acute injuries. He was sent to a hospital as a result. Hospital tests showed that my friend was suffering from starvation, since the prison administration confiscated the special food he needs to cope with celiac disease.

Imagine that…the food that someone had brought him from outside the prison system was confiscated. As a result he is not only suffering from the treatment he was given, but is also suffering from starvation.

Hopefully, JP and his daughter are aware of what’s going on. Things can escalate rapidly. :(

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Fl...]

• [id...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Phenibut is given to Russian astronauts too and was part of the cosmonaut first aid kit. If it’s good enough for outer space you can bet JP was given some. This is all very humorous to me since I used to use a lot of Russian gear during WD and listen to JP on the Joe Hogan podcast. I even bought JPs book on iTunes but never read it though. Wonder if I ever will now.

Blue Rose, was your friend in prison in Russia?

Yes, and he was imprisoned for his beliefs. His particular case occurred September 2019, and just this past week information has come out as to what happened to him while in prison. It sounds like he is suffering badly.

In the September 2019 article it indicates over 250 of my friends in Russia are facing criminal charges, with 41 in detention (pretrial or prison) and 23 under house arrest). It is horrible what has been/is happening in Russia.

As I said in my previous post…things can escalate rapidly. Jordan Peterson is hopefully aware of what is happening. Granted injustices can be found in many corners of the earth. But it is wise on our part to be alert to them.

And as we know, going through benzo w/d is trying enough in itself.

Sadly, I know of a friend who was ruffed up, and then hospitalized and underwent surgery due to his acute injuries. He was sent to a hospital as a result. Hospital tests showed that my friend was suffering from starvation, since the prison administration confiscated the special food he needs to cope with celiac disease.

Imagine that…the food that someone had brought him from outside the prison system was confiscated. As a result he is not only suffering from the treatment he was given, but is also suffering from starvation.

Hopefully, JP and his daughter are aware of what’s going on. Things can escalate rapidly. :(

Google drug rehab in Russia.  The picture isn't pretty.

Peterson and his family were at the end of their rope after unsuccessfully having gone through several treatment programs, and they were understandably desperate.

According to his daughter they took him to Russia to do a benzo cold turkey detox with a medically induced coma--which no place in North America would do.  She described him almost dying several times.  They may have got him off Benzos, but he could now wind up in a long term protracted withdrawal.  They may be using other meds to attempt to deal with it.  They mentioned him being on anti-convulsants.

Keep in mind that the information that we get from the daughter isn't complete or always forthcoming and accurate.  In September she first announced that her father had entered rehab to deal with benzo withdrawal.  Then 11 days later later she claimed that it was all due to a severe allergic reaction to a medicine and that he was off it and fine.  Then in early Feb she made the video about him being in a rehab in Russia after several failed hosptializations in the US. 

I am not trying to judge anyone.  Obviously they were trying to make the best decisions that they could.  But in reading the available information provided by his daughter, the story has changed, and many things were done that would make his situation worse.

confuseduser, you make some very good points!

Indeed, they may have tried to make the best decision given the circumstances, but I am afraid they made the worst decision they possibly could. The fact that no place in North America did not have ”the guts” to put him trough something like that should have been a red flag and a warning sign! I live in Eastern Europe and I am HIGLY suspicious of any ”Russian detox facility”. I know what is going on here. I was shocked to read what ideallifevision said, that they prescribe phenibut to babies, but it wouldn't be entirely inconceivable.  :sick:

That, and the other concerns regarding freedom of speech and personal freedom the others have raised. I hope, in the end, things will turn out well for him and his family, and I do pray for that. But for the moment, the situation seems disastrous.  :'(

Hi All,

JediMindTricks posted this RT (Russian news outlet) interview with JP's daughter Mikhaila on another thread yesterday. It was posted online on Feb. 16, so it's quite recent. While it's not all about JP himself, there's definitely a fleshing out of the picture regarding the decision to go to Russia for treatment. There's also some discussion about Mikhaila's health issues, as well as her mom's.

Can someone help me out here: why are we using RT as a source for anything? I have not not been following this, or read anything beyond a headline about what's happening with Jordan Peterson, so I might have missed the point here.

Hi Colin,

Dr. Jordan Peterson is a Canadian psychologist/author/professor/international speaker who has been in the news lately with some benzodiazepine withdrawal issues (starting last fall). His daughter Mikhaila recently posted a Youtube video about the family's decision to go to Russia so that her father could get a certain kind of "detox", and this RT video (shared by JediMindTricks on another News thread yesterday) features Mikhaila giving a bit of an update on her father's condition.

There's been lots of other media -- mostly articles commenting on Mikhaila's Youtube video. But I haven't seen any other first-person interviews where she talks about benzos and withdrawal.

Here's the thread where it was first shared:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=237131.0 

Russia Today is totally a propaganda channel, but to be honest, the interviewer was actually less optimistic than Mikhaila towards the doctors in Russia. I understand that the familiy was desperate, because the paradoxical reaction situation, but I am concerned that due to his popularity other people will thke him as an example, and think that CT ”detoxing” from benzos in a facility, is a good idea, when in fact it is HIGHLY dangerous.

Hi Colin,

Dr. Jordan Peterson is a Canadian psychologist/author/professor/international speaker who has been in the news lately with some benzodiazepine withdrawal issues (starting last fall). His daughter Mikhaila recently posted a Youtube video about the family's decision to go to Russia so that her father could get a certain kind of "detox", and this RT video (shared by JediMindTricks on another News thread yesterday) features Mikhaila giving a bit of an update on her father's condition.

There's been lots of other media -- mostly articles commenting on Mikhaila's Youtube video. But I haven't seen any other first-person interviews where she talks about benzos and withdrawal.

Here's the thread where it was first shared:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=237131.0

Oh, I know of Jordan Peterson. I just wondered why RT was being used as a source. And the intro to the interview (I did not watch it beyond that) with Peterson's daughter was full of anti-medicine nonsense. Not what I'd expect from a responsible broadcaster - but then, RT is clearly not that and just a Russian Government mouth piece.

Russia Today is totally a propaganda channel, but to be honest, the interviewer was actually less optimistic than Mikhaila towards the doctors in Russia. I understand that the familiy was desperate, because the paradoxical reaction situation, but I am concerned that due to his popularity other people will thke him as an example, and think that CT ”detoxing” from benzos in a facility, is a good idea, when in fact it is HIGHLY dangerous.

A solid case can be made for rapid withdrawal in cases of a true paradoxical reaction. And, it even might be an option for those with addiction problems if they cannot manage a taper (this is not the situation for the vast majority of our members). But, as you rightly point out, there is a high potential for suffering grave withdrawal reactions after a detox withdrawal. Yes, a responsible detox facility will know how to mitigate against the danger of withdrawal-induced status epilepticus, but this will not prevent protracted withdrawal symptoms in those so predisposed (a very significant percentage of patients).

I took the interviewer to be taking a general anti-doctor position. And, it should be remembered, that's RT's English-speaking channel, primarily aimed at the US  (and to a lesser degree, the UK) and their citizens.

At the very least, it was good to hear Mikhaila's responses to someone else's questions. And at least we learned a bit more about the reasoning behind the trip to Russia. I still have many questions and would prefer to hear from JP himself, but this appears to be the closest we can get for the time being. Perhaps she'll do other interviews that can shed more light on the situation.

I started out believing this story as it unfolded here at benzobuddies.  Had never heard of this guy or his daughter.  No reason to not believe them.  The more I read and hear about the story as it’s been evolving the more skeptical I’ve become about the truth of some aspects of the story.  As a result, the whole story is subject to skepticism. 

No disrespect to all here who are suffering, or others elsewhere as I once was and am still sorting out the damage caused by a lifetime of benzos, but this whole Peterson story is full of holes and questions that need answers.

Honestly, along with the questions I have about the story I’m also questioning some of the Peterson motives involved in the highly public nature of disclosing what they claim has happened. 

The suspect nature of the story makes it a bad example for all the benzo warriors who would like the story of our benzo experiences to become common knowledge. 

Yes, I think most people would agree that there are many unanswered questions. For better or worse, this man has an enormous platform. And his benzo story -- what there is of it -- has made the news here, there and everywhere. He could use that platform to help expose certain truths about benzodiazepines and its withdrawal. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

Oh, I know of Jordan Peterson. I just wondered why RT was being used as a source. And the intro to the interview (I did not watch it beyond that) with Peterson's daughter was full of anti-medicine nonsense. Not what I'd expect from a responsible broadcaster - but then, RT is clearly not that and just a Russian Government mouth piece.

No one blinks an eye when someone posts a Vox piece, but everyone loses their minds when RT or some other non mainstream source that leans away from the popular narrative comes up.

Watch the video. It was an absolutely outstanding interview. A frank discussion of the sort that you will likely never hear on any mainstream media sources.

I started out believing this story as it unfolded here at benzobuddies.  Had never heard of this guy or his daughter.  No reason to not believe them.  The more I read and hear about the story as it’s been evolving the more skeptical I’ve become about the truth of some aspects of the story.  As a result, the whole story is subject to skepticism. 

No disrespect to all here who are suffering, or others elsewhere as I once was and am still sorting out the damage caused by a lifetime of benzos, but this whole Peterson story is full of holes and questions that need answers.

Honestly, along with the questions I have about the story I’m also questioning some of the Peterson motives involved in the highly public nature of disclosing what they claim has happened. 

The suspect nature of the story makes it a bad example for all the benzo warriors who would like the story of our benzo experiences to become common knowledge.

I'm not sure why you would post something like this without specifically stating what it is you don't believe.

No one blinks an eye when someone posts a Vox piece, but everyone loses their minds when RT or some other non mainstream source that leans away from the popular narrative comes up.

Watch the video. It was an absolutely outstanding interview. A frank discussion of the sort that you will likely never hear on any mainstream media sources.

'Vox'? Really? Vox is more reliable than Fox News (I am talking about, specifically, the online content which is more reliable than their broadcast division). And, irrespective of what any of us might make of Fox News (even the broadcast division) or Vox, they are not controlled by the US government. To put RT in the same box as Vox is seriously blinkered. There is a huge difference between an editorial line (and biases) and state-sponsored propaganda.

Irrespective, I will watch the full interview. I was considering it anyway. But since you are so strongly recommending it, I'll definitely watch it.

I guess I have different expectation from what is supposed to be an informative interview. I just watched the interview. I wasn't very impressed. I am not sure what it is I was supposed to have learned. No need for anyone to reply to me to inform me. I don't get it. Each to their own, I guess.

I am listening to the interview.

It seems to me they are very ill informed. She said that the Drs in the western world didn't understand that her dad needed to be rid of the medication from his body faster than they were willing to do it. This is an idea that almost everyone on here who had to taper had to get the f over if they were going to survive this.

You're not trying to get the drug out of your body. You're down regulating. Why don't they know thus by now?

That's one of the reasons why this interview is so enlightening. It shows us type of thinking that went into the decision-making processes and the trips to here and there to get the offending medication out of his body quickly.

Getting the med out of your body doesn't cure you, as we all know. It's rather sad.

I just wanted to make a couple points.

With regards to them potentially being uninformed and making poor decisions, I feel like this is pretty common.  It's a small minority of people who do a thorough search of benzo withdrawal methods, study the literature, and begin a sensible taper.  Its likely that the majority of people do either what their doctors tell them or what their gut tells them.  And when that goes wrong, that's when they do the research and find the literature and websites.  For some reason, their gut told them to go to Russia.  They must have read something or somebody who has influence on them made the suggestion and it seemed reasonable at the time.  Jordan was likely under duress from the pills when it was suggested to him. 

In terms of the different news outlets, quality unbiased journalism has never been harder to find.  I put CNN, MSNBC, Fox news, and RT all in the same category.  Even NPR has become somewhat biased.  Reuters, PBS, and the Associated Press are really all we have left in the US in terms of the least amount of built in bias. 

It seems to me they are very ill informed. She said that the Drs in the western world didn't understand that her dad needed to be rid of the medication from his body faster than they were willing to do it. This is an idea that almost everyone on here who had to taper had to get the f over if they were going to survive this.

You're not trying to get the drug out of your body. You're down regulating. Why don't they know thus by now?

They said he was paradoxical, or they at least believed he was.

Well, if Peterson was suffering a paradoxical reaction, and the reaction was as severe as indicated, then, actually, a very accelerated (or cold turkey) withdrawal is probably appropriate - with applicable precautions of course. Though, this does not negate possible/probable problems of suffering from protracted withdrawal symptoms.