Discussion: Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

[dr...]

Shania,

I've read many of your posts and I'm so happy you are seeing your progression through the healing phases.  I've been rooting for you on the sidelines and I've been observing your improvements day by day, month by month.  You are definitely moving towards that healing door, Shania.  Maybe we can celebrate our victories with some sparkling water!

Sofa

Drinking alcohol in moderation has not been a problem for me in my recovery.

you are in the very small minority. It works directly on GABA receptors. That's a miracle, but enjoy!

Hello Sofa! :smitten:

Thank you so much for posting this awesome information! It is spot on!! BIG :hug:

I consider myself with 1/2 of a foot in phase two and 1 & 1/2 foot in phase three.

I'm very thankful for this awesome community and I have much love and respect for each and every one of you very brave people!! We really are very strong individuals!!!!! :smitten:

We will ALL get thru this, together! :smitten: BIG :hug:

Thank you so much for posting this awesome information! It is spot on!! BIG :hug:

I consider myself with 1/2 of a foot in phase two and 1 & 1/2 foot in phase three.

I'm very thankful for this awesome community and I have much love and respect for each and every one of you very brave people!! We really are very strong individuals!!!!! :smitten:

Awesome, Blessed! Keep it up! How sweet will it be when we're in Phase 3 completely?! And imagine 4!

Blessed,

You are one of my favorite people on this forum.  I read all your posts, which are full of love and encouragement. 

I'm so pleased you can see your progression through these healing phases.  I can too and it makes me so hopeful about our recovery.  We are walking (trudging) warriors and miracles.

Sofa

Illneverdothisagain,

Your enthusiasm is comforting and contagious.  I am grateful you are a member here.  You are moving so rapidly through your journey.  You will leave us all in the dust!

Sofa

Illneverdothisagain,

Your enthusiasm is comforting and contagious.  I am grateful you are a member here.  You are moving so rapidly through your journey.  You will leave us all in the dust!

Sofa

From your mouth to God's ears! Apparently, I am, though, and I have to remain grateful! Remember, I'll be waiting at the finish line!!

Awesome, Blessed! Keep it up! How sweet will it be when we're in Phase 3 completely?! And imagine 4!

Thank you, illneverdothisagain! How sweet it will be!! It's gonna happen, and for all of us! :hug: You are doing awesome with your progress, keep doin' what your doin'!! BIG :hug:

Blessed,

You are one of my favorite people on this forum.  I read all your posts, which are full of love and encouragement. 

I'm so pleased you can see your progression through these healing phases.  I can too and it makes me so hopeful about our recovery.  We are walking (trudging) warriors and miracles.

Sofa

Thank you, Sofa! :hug: You are so sweet, you share great knowledge and very supportive! I want you to know that I pray for you, and I'm truly thankful for you! I too read your posts, and I love your humor. On some of my darkest days, you have been a true ray of sunshine, and put a smile on my face. You are a very strong person and you will get thru this!  We will get there all intact! Yes, miracles in the making. You will be blessed for the love, hope and comfort you share and give to each of us!!! Keep your chin up and know that you will cross that finish line...because you will sweetheart! :smitten: BIG :hug:

Oh, Blessed, you brought me to tears.  Sometimes it's just enough that someone believes in you.  We're all going to make it through the dark forest into the healing meadow.  I know it.  We progress every single day, even when we don't feel like it.  Our internal healing systems were designed for this recovery.  I will hold my arms open and wrap them around the shoulders of everyone who healed alongside me.  What a joyous time that will be!

Love you, Sofa

Oh, Blessed, you brought me to tears.  Sometimes it's just enough that someone believes in you.  We're all going to make it through the dark forest into the healing meadow.  I know it.  We progress every single day, even when we don't feel like it.  Our internal healing systems were designed for this recovery.  I will hold my arms open and wrap them around the shoulders of everyone who healed alongside me.  What a joyous time that will be!

Love you, Sofa

Oh yes, we are all wonderfully made! I hope your day if full of sunshine, peace and comfort!!

Love you, too, hun! BIG :hug:

Thanks, Blessed! You keep it up, too! We're all around the corner from it!

Hello illneverdothisagain! :smitten:

You're very welcome!! And thank you as well! :smitten:

This is a great general guideline and I thank you for making it. Like FloridaGuy, I don't think that everyone will find themselves firmly in one phase or another, but it's still useful to have a general map in which to view one's progress (even if that map happens to be mislabeled here and there, with streets and coordinates that are constantly shifting). Unfortunately for many people, recovery is often <i>very</i> non-linear, and there is a lot of back and forth and overlap between these stages (at least as they've been presented here). Also, one may progress in one realm (physically, emotionally, or cognitively), but plateau or even go backwards for a time in another realm. This is tricky business, and a very individual process. Some might have four phases of withdrawal, but some might only have one or two phases, while others might have a dozen or more.

But again, any map is better than no map (especially when you're lost in the thick fog of benzo withdrawal), and I think that this list will provide much more help and comfort than harm and confusion.

And for what it's worth, phase 2 seems to fit me best right now.

http://themighty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/12027517_10205835686906412_6886242177370630353_n.jpg

I like this graph!, you nailed it! it shows a somehow linear improvement despite the crazy behavior.

I, once again, find myself loving this post. It's so accurate, excel for the fact that I think I'm stuck between 2 and 3, which is very common I read and hear. This rollercoaster can come to a stop whenever it's ready. My symptoms dampen down to the point where I forget I have them, and then boom. My ears really took a beating.

Prayers for all,

Never again

Never,

It happens this way between 2 and 3.  Relief, bash, relief, bash.  It is a transition and you will keep moving forward.

Love, Sofa

I am, I guess, influenced by the Sofa's four stages of withdrawal. So I wrote the below silly paper. Please be kind in your comments if any, my brain is still tender, still idiot, you will see that if you manage to read my imaginary paper. Surely you will think I am brain washed with yoga, and you will be correct.

THE EFFECT OF ANCIENT THERAPIES ON BZD WITHDRAWAL

Clona*

* Active member of BB since 2014, she has tapered Rivotril in 11 months after 8 years dependency, she is 9.5 months out as to 11 of May, 2016.

Abstract

This paper aims to find a scientific explanation of the effect of therapies such as deep breathing, meditation, yoga, Reiki, massages, conscious exercise, hyperthermia, hypothermia on the healing that takes place specially on Sofa’s second and third healing stages of benzodiazepine withdrawal (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=156111.0). An evident chemical imbalance, caused by neurotransmitters down regulation that took place as soon as the first dose was intaken, has been shown to be the cause of pain and illnesses at the end or after finishing the taper of BZD. The thesis is this: any chemical imbalance leads to energy imbalance. Thus, any simple therapy able to balance atomic energy inside human body leads to health improvement.

Introduction

The powerful mechanism of action of Benzodiazepines (BZD) consists of creating a chemical imbalance in brain. This chemical imbalance can be described as an interstitial BZD molecules accommodation into GABA neurotransmitters site. The more the dosage, the more the interstitial sites occupied by BZD. These drugs cause also dependency, due to the neurotransmitters lack of work. As an analogy, the decay of alive organisms, such as cells, when are not being physiologically stressed is well known.

Due to this chemical imbalance, dependency and down regulated GABA, BZD are difficult to withdraw. This due to the fact that chemical imbalance becomes evident.

Thesis

Benzodiazepines withdraw may lead to a condition in which both physical and mental states become severely affected. This is due to the GABA neurotransmitters down regulation (1). Neurotransmitters are the chemicals which allow the transmission of signals from one neuron to the next across synapses (2). As stated in the introduction section, BZD intake leads to an imbalance of brain and body chemical, which becomes highly evident while tapering the drug or when the intake of these drugs has ended. Once the acute has passed, this chemical imbalance can be worse after eating highly processed foods or foods containing special chemicals.

As stated by famous physics equations (Einstein and Planck’s) matter is proportional or equal to energy (3,4).  Therefore, human body is made of energy, atomic energy, energy of atoms vibrating in a characteristic manner. An endochrine gland is a matter that secretes a substance (a hormone, a chemical) into the bloodstream (5). Hypothesis is that glands, as matter needed for living, are also centers of energy, centers to store and deliver required chemicals for human body to function properly. If glands do not work properly, as it may be the case in BZD withdraw, then a general unwellness and potential illnesses take place (1). Medicines and supplements are then needed which make withdrawal symptoms worse since chemicals, in addition to healing from an specific condition, may increase chemical imbalance (1).

Exercise, natural foods and alternate ancient therapies, that make endocrine glands to function properly, have demonstrated to be successful in helping human body during BZD withdrawal in cases when either high (anxiety) or low (depression) energy are involved during this chemical imbalance (1). As stated below human body is made of energy = or proportional to matter = to atoms = to energy. This by correctly increasing/reducing chemicals such as stamina, serotonin, dopamine, cortisol, adrenaline…chemicals secreted by glands.

A good quantity of oxygen, from breathing deeply, is necessary for glands to function properly. This is well known, since glands are, after all, living matter. Living beings require oxygen.

Food is also important, simple food, without excess of chemicals, maintains body atomic energy in balance. Vitamins, aminoacids, proteins and calories are needed. An excess of calories may be required for these to be transformed into chemical energy.

In ancient oriental cultures endocrine glands are known as chakras, that is why Yoga, Reiki, Meditation and special massages help. By using these therapies, glandular proper work (balance of chemicals) can be obtained. As an example, by meditation it is possible to concentrate on the glands site and oxygen them, therefore feeding them, balancing them, taking out the excess of energy and make this energy flow to the other parts of decreased energy. Same with yoga. Same with Reiki. Reiki has been approved as a therapy by the world health organization. However, Yoga seems to be the most successful therapy.

Finally, exercise, hyperthermia and hypothermia. It is well known that temperature has a strong effect on the kinetics of chemical reactions. Thermal energy can be transformed into chemical energy and vice-versa. Mechanical energy, from exercise, can be transformed also into chemical and thermal energy. Thus, the three of them (exercise, used wisely, hyperthermia, hot baths, sauna, temazcal and hypothermia, ice, cold baths, air conditioning, swimming) are important tools in recovering from BZD withdraw by balancing/secreting chemicals, increasing body temperature, detoxing, putting cells and glands to work, making matter to vibe as needed. Releasing/transforming energy.

References

1) Benzobuddies posts  :D

2) Google  :-X

3) Einstein

4) Planck

5) Google  :P

Important notes

These ancient alternate therapies may not be efficient if:

i) During taper or if taking other specific drugs. Even Benadryl is far too much powerful than the more powerful type of Yoga.

ii) The first stage of postaper withdrawal, acute, supplements surely work better.

iii) If you have an underlying condition which is no BZD related.

Clona,

Excellent paper!  So well written!  Lots of helpful information presented perfectly!  Thank you!  I will reread it again and again.  I pick up something new each time.

Sofa

Clona,

Excellent paper!  So well written!  Lots of helpful information presented perfectly!  Thank you!  I will reread it again and again.  I pick up something new each time.

Sofa

Thank you Sofa...your stages inspired me. Not very well written, I just corrected Planck's name  :laugh:

I have to say that your "So well written" is the compliment I like the most, even I see many mistakes  :laugh:

[ec...]

I'm between phase 3 and 4 at 15 months out.

Can I use this, translated into Italian, for my FB benzo help page?

I'm between phase 3 and 4 at 15 months out.

Can I use this, translated into Italian, for my FB benzo help page?

Of course, Elizabeth.  Use it as you see fit.  I hope it helps even one person and gives everyone hope that this is a progression and will come to an end for one and all.

Sofa

By definition, I'm in stage three, got there quite suddenly after reacting to some cleaning fluids. But here's the odd thing, I seem to be doing it in reverse! Year one was not too shabby, not excellent, loads of physical symptoms, but nothing overwhelming. Year two was a little worse, but still fine. Then at 2.5 years, boom, sensitivities like crazy (It faded after 7 months, and I thought yay, its going away!! Right at the 3 year mark, woo hoo, but then I reacted to, get this, frying some hot peppers and inhaling the steam. Not recommended. That seems to have slammed me back to where I was 7 months ago, only worse, frankly). I never had sensitivities before the drugs and the fear is that this new phase won't go away, but I guess that's what everyone thinks in every phase. Still, I feel like I'm now in 3 going into 2!

Could I still be on the verge of stage 4? I have to be, seriously, I mean, c'mon!

m

ps wonderful post, thank you.

This is so awesome. Sofa wrote it based on he experience of a ton of people coached by pattylu. I've seen this before. Sofa and I think I'm still in phase 2, with a foot in phase 3. Either that, or just getting really good windows in phase 2. Either way, it's a good guide. I'm glad you found it. Guess I didn't think to share it because to me, you're healed. We'll get there!

Marina,

You are almost there.  The sensitivities have always been there.  You were just too sick with symptoms to "peel the layers of the onion" and detect the sensitivities.  Now you see them clearly and can avoid them.  Your journey through the four phases is not in reverse.  It is in fast forward and you are firmly planted in phase 3 stepping into phase 4--RECOVERY!

Love, Sofa