Discussion: Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

[dr...]

Bill,

PM me anytime.  I am here for you.  We are together in this little dinghy on hurricane high seas.  We feel vulnerable and fragile, but we are far from it.  Very few people could weather storms like these.  We are strong sailors in gale force winds.  We will make it to dry land, Bill, and never look back.

Sofa

Hi Sofa,  I'm at 3.  Sleeping 6-8 hours at night.  The cortisol mornings have gone away.  Still have tinnitus. But I do get weird head if I exercise too long in the warmer weather or over do it. I walk an hour everyday.  My stomach is working it's way through healing.  My GI symptoms are my biggest issue.  Thank you this makes me feel better. 

Val

Hey Buddies,

My angel and mentor through this withdrawal mess is someone who survived benzo withdrawal herself, supported and cared for her husband during his withdrawal, and has observed and supported hundreds of people on BB through this process, all of whom have healed and are out living lives of complete rebirth and utter bliss.  They have all healed.  She has read thousands of posts and followed hundreds of journeys and, as a third party observer, she has concluded there are four distinct phases to this withdrawal process.  I thought it might be interesting to some people (me) to try and figure out where we are in our journey and maybe how much longer we have to do "time" before we're released from our temporary prison.  I also think it may give some people (me) hope that we are progressing and this will, one day, come to an end.  Maybe these phases don't ring true for your withdrawal experience.  Tapering versus cold turkey would likely make our journeys different for that reason alone.  I hope lots of people chime in with their experiences through withdrawal, as the collection of more anecdotal evidence helps all of us.

PHASE ONE

This is what we commonly refer to as the Acute Phase, which commences once you jump off the medication.  It is marked by a severe onslaught of unrelenting symptoms that make us suffer non-stop 24/7.  If you tapered and went through tolerance withdrawal, perhaps the shock and horror of this phase is a smoother transition.  For others, it may be the same hell we all go through in Acute, whether we tapered or not.  Over time, we all even out and catch up with each other.

PHASE TWO

This phase is, unfortunately, not much easier than Phase One, but is marked by symptoms "morphing" in nature, becoming intermittent, decreasing in intensity and frequency, and even disappearing altogether.  New symptoms may even pop in and out periodically.  Some people start detecting the Windows and Waves pattern beginning.  Others may start seeing relief in the late afternoon and evening.  In this phase, you can pretty easily identify your "core" bugger symptoms versus the auxiliary ones, kind of like a circle within a circle of your close "friends" versus your "acquaintances."  Even if you experience windows, the waves crash down on you for no apparent reason too.  It's still a very hellish phase, to say the least, but it IS progress.

PHASE THREE

This phase is better than One and Two because it is more situational and predictable.  It is the Sensitivity Phase.  You might never have noticed you reacted to things earlier in withdrawal, mostly because you were dealing with horrific symptoms all the time and didn't make the sensitivity connection.  How could you?  You were suffering ALL THE TIME.  Now that you are further along in your healing and notice a definite dampening down of symptoms, you'll recognize a big difference when you get upticks and flare ups.  For some people, their sensitivity reaction will come the following day in the form of a wave and they will pull out of it in a matter of hours. This delayed wave reaction and short duration is evidence that your system has healed a LOT.  Others might get hit with a wave that lasts a few days or weeks.  It probably depends on what caused the sensitivity reaction.  Here are just a few things that may or may not cause a sensitivity wave: 

1.  You eat something that doesn't agree with you, or contains preservatives or too much sugar.

2.  Caffeine, alcohol, weed.

3.  Missing meals which makes your blood sugar drop.

4.  Too much strenuous exercise, activity or over-stimulation.

5.  Stressful life circumstances.

6.  Antibiotics.

7.  Drugs and supplements.

8.  Chemicals in cleaning and personal products.

These are just a few of the sensitivity triggers that may or may not cause a wave.  I'm sure the buddies on this forum could name many others and I HOPE THEY DO, so the rest of us can keep our antennas up.  Bottom line:  These are situational upticks and waves that are not random and come out of nowhere.  You are further along in the healing process.  You'll bounce back and keep moving forward, avoiding the things that trigger your waves.

PHASE FOUR

This is the Recovery Phase.  Almost all of the debilitating symptoms that kept you dysfunctional are gone.  The remaining one or two symptoms are more annoyances than anything.  Your systems are still healing, so you need to walk gently into re-entry.  You also need to keep living the healthy lifestyle you've acquired throughout your withdrawal journey.  You will feel better and better each day because your systems are continually healing.  You will KNOW your suffering is over, but you need to keep your antennas up and abstain from your previous vices for another year.

So that's it in a very big nutshell.  I'd love to hear feedback from other buddies on whether or not these phases strike a familiar chord, or really don't seem to apply.

My own journey has mirrored these phases so far.  I seem to be in Phase Three.

Where are all of you in your journey so far?

Sofa

She has read thousands of posts and followed hundreds of journeys and, as a third party observer, she has concluded there are four distinct phases to this withdrawal process.

well she is wrong

My healing followed none of this.

Kinda ticks me that one would suggest this is standard.

Not trying to upset the apple cart but I find this suggestion of healing pathology nonsense and can lead to people feeling desperate and alone when they don't fit.

Anecdotal evidence concludes that 96% of us are symptom free by 2 years.  99% are symptom free by year 3. 

Sofa

how can anecdotal  evidence conclude anything? With proper data it may suggest I suppose.

where are these case studies that these numbers are derived from?

Thanks

Mentor,

This thread is meant to give people hope.  The Four Phases progression through the recovery process has rung true for most of us.  Just because it has not proven accurate for your journey, it is not the least bit helpful to others for whom it has to have you call it nonsense.

Your user name does not fit your lack of compassion and positivity that are hallmark characteristics of true mentors.  Before you post such negativity, please think about what it may do to others.

Thank you in advance for your future respect of the hope this thread gives to many buddies, even though you seem to be exempt.

Sofa

Mentor,

This thread is meant to give people hope.  The Four Phases progression through the recovery process has rung true for most of us.  Just because it has not proven accurate for your journey, it is not the least bit helpful to others for whom it has to have you call it nonsense.

Your user name does not fit your lack of compassion and positivity that are hallmark characteristics of true mentors.  Before you post such negativity, please think about what it may do to others.

Thank you in advance for your future respect of the hope this thread gives to many buddies, even though you seem to be exempt.

Sofa

glad to see you had good intent as did my post.

I found he opening post potentially frightening to those suffering the most and my reply was in defense of those folks. Be they the overwhelming minority or not.

Still, I'd like to see the data that supports the two and three year claims.

thank you again

Mentor,

I rethought my previous post and I apologize for my insensitive remark regarding your lack of compassion.  I know you have been suffering for many years, both on the drugs, in withdrawal and in recovery.  My heart truly sympathizes for you.  I suppose I get defensive of my original post because I get so much positive feedback from many people that it gives them hope and comfort that there is a progression in healing, even when the present seems chaotic.

I know you are being protective of those who are suffering like you who do not derive much hope from the Four Phases.  I wish people could see that the Four Phases still apply but, for some people, they just take longer.  The progression through the phases still exists; the duration of recovery varies.

I want you to get well, Mentor.  I know you will.

Sofa

I'm off of Xanax about the same amount of time that you have been. It's frustrating because I have symptoms that raise it's ugly head sometimes completely unexpectedly. It's discouraging! I keep coming back here and am reassured that I will get better. Thank you for this post. In 4 months it will be 2 years. I am hopeful that I will be symptom free by then. I will be mindful that I need to allow 1 more year to be 100% healed. Thank you again!

I'm off of Xanax about the same amount of time that you have been. It's frustrating because I have symptoms that raise it's ugly head sometimes completely unexpectedly. It's discouraging! I keep coming back here and am reassured that I will get better. Thank you for this post. In 4 months it will be 2 years. I am hopeful that I will be symptom free by then. I will be mindful that I need to allow 1 more year to be 100% healed. Thank you again!

Be careful, as you have leaned, to expect to be healed by such and such a date.

At 3 years I was still living a nightmare. The good news, even though at 4 years I though I would never heal at a 5 years I finally had a decent amount of improvement.

I now firmly belive all improve and improve to the point of a navigable life.

Thank you for your experience and encouragement! I really thought I would have this behind me by now. In hindsight, it was much worse a year ago. I've had stretches where I felt pretty good but not exactly 100%. In the last 6 months, I've had one nagging symptom that is just a little more than an aggravation. Jaw pain and at times my throat has a sharp pain go right through it. Pins and needles feeling sometimes just under the chin and neck area. I usually sleep very good and upon waking don't have issues until I have been up for a little while and then I will have a symptom creep in. Watching the News sometimes creates a symptom or so it seems. The feelings of passing out, dizziness, imbalance, panic, vibrations, internal shaking are all but gone. People in the medical profession kind of give me this look  :idiot: As if it is all in my head. My poor wife tries to understand and I do my best not to let this stop us from doing things that we want to do although at times it does. I'm recently retired which is good from the standpoint that my stress level is reduced quite a bit. I would however enjoy my retirement more if I didn't still have to deal with these painful moments. As i stated earlier, it would be nice to be finally symptom free in 4 months or at least to the point that it doesn't bother me. I'm just encouraged to know that this won't last much longer! I won't be afraid of anything after this because I have been to Hell and kicked it's ass!

Camre,

I'm sorry you are still suffering at 20 months out like me, but we are the norm, not the minority.  Old symptoms may cycle back around, new ones may appear, the same ones you've always had may dampen down a bit, it's all par for the course.

Hang in there.  You've put the time in.  Your healing is just up ahead.

Sofa

Phase 3 is amazing, everyone! Just a quick update! Since I turned the corner, (which, trust me, you'll just know, like I was always told.) I've gone to Florida, go to the movies, socialize with friends, socialize with family, I'm going to Florida AGAIN in a week and starting a job when I return!

Glory to God! It's been a tough road, but I'll never forget my big turn and it's been great ever since! And to think, I still have a bit to go?! BRING IT!!!

Prayers for all!!!!

[ec...]

but we are the norm, not the minority. 

So being in protracted withdrawal for years is the norm? I better apply for disability right now, but I don't know if they're going to give it for benzo withdrawals.

What a great way to start a Monday morning.  :thumbsup:

Idm,

Way to go!  Watch for things that trigger flare ups for you.  We are all different.  My triggers are preservatives.  Yours may be different.  Keep your antennas up.  You will no longer be randomly bashed in and out of waves.  Your symptoms will be situational with some normal crummy WD following along for the ride.  Make it easier to deal with by avoiding foods and stressors that over tax the CNS.

Sofa

Mentor,

I am so happy for your healing.  Eventually, this all dampens down like coals in a BBQ.  First you add the kerosene and light the fire on black coals.  It blazes.  Eventually the flames subside and the coals glow red hot.  In Phase 3 we can inadvertently pour a shot of kerosene on the hot coals and they catch fire again.  The fire dies out and we are back with the red hot coals.  Then the red glowing coals die down to a hot white.  Lower and lower the temperature drops.  Eventually, the coals turn to ash.  That's the way this goes, no matter how long it takes.  It inspires me to watch your healing.  You are getting to the ashes.  Then the Phoenix rises!

Sofa

Weishaupt,

I've been suffering for 20.5 months after two months of low dose sporadic use.  Your journey is as unique in symptoms and duration as we each are.  Most people heal in 2-3 years.  Sometimes less.  I am doing the best I can to help the process speed up and be more manageable with a hypoglycemic diet, no processed foods or preservatives, no alcohol, no weed, no supplements.  Many others have found this to be key to faster recovery.

Sofa

"Most" is a very strong word. Most people who come off benzos have no problems and are not reading these boards in my opinion.

Everyone is different.

[ec...]

"Most" is a very strong word. Most people who come off benzos have no problems and are not reading these boards in my opinion.

Everyone is different.

That used to be me. I successfully tapered from Xanax in 2015 (starting from 2mg with 0.25mg cuts every week). It was the smoothest taper you can imagine, I did not have any symptoms, and a week after I completed the taper, I went on a trip. I wondered what the fuss was all about that quitting benzos was dangerous and has to be done slowly. I thought that it was ridiculous and it didn't apply to me.

But I was stupid enough to reinstate and a year later I found out...

I apologize if someone already asked this and I just didn't see it, but do any of you phase 3 people (or previous phase 3) have constant symptoms? I've been trying to figure out which stage I am in because I still have migraines/akathasia/agoraphobia/anxiety stuff going on, but not nearly what it was a few months ago. I do have waves where it gets that bad, but I have found that typically it seems more like it does get triggered.

For instance, it's been 100+ here and I've noticed that I tend to feel worse in the heat. So I try to stay indoors (while still walking around outside for exercise). Or if I've had poor sleep. Also seems to make days worse, but it's hard for me to be unbiased for my healing so I was just curious if others in stage 3 constantly had symptoms or if it was more of if you ate/drank/slept poorly/etc that things went bad but most of the time you felt okay?

thanks!

Jingles

I am approaching 6 months out and I am healing a lot at a very fast pace it seems. The last two weeks I have been having many windows. I believe I have entered Phase 3. I am still sensitive so I am careful on what I ingest. Exercise and heat don't seem to bother me but I stay away from vitamins, supplements, sweets and over the counter stuff like Unisom etc. Tylenol doesn't seem to bother me. But we do need to watch out for things that could possibly cause a flare up. My sleep has been improving and I think for most of us that when sleep improves we do tend to heal more. Lately, for the last two weeks I have been feeling a lot better. We just have to keep pushing through!    :thumbsup:

ldm27

Jingles,

What I have found with me, and have seen on this forum with many others, is a "core" of symptoms that seem to attach themselves to us for the long haul.  Then there are adjunct symptoms that pop in and out and don't stay around, but the core symptoms stick close to us.  The good news is that the core symptoms gradually decrease and eventually leave over time.  We are all healing every day, even when it doesn't feel like it.  Remember that you are in recovery and the symptoms, both core and adjunct, are part and parcel of the healing that's going on.  The adjunct symptoms oftentimes just poof! go away, but the core symptoms seem to linger, decrease, then disappear.

Sofa

Hello BB'S!

I would like to share with my fellow warriors that I have transitioned with both feet firmly planted in Phase Three!

I still have waves (I'm currently still in a wave) but I can see and actually FEEL (which is something I struggled with for a long time) that lots of progress has been made.

I also want you all to know that I have loads of love, compassion and respect for each of you! I can't say it enough how very thankful that I am for this forum and all the love and support that is given here. You will all forever hold a very special place in my heart!!!

When I say I love you all, I truly mean it!! When I am completely healed, I will continue to stick around and support those who are and will be where I once was....Wow, so thankful to be where I am now and I know that in more time....I will be COMPLETELY HEALED!! We ALL will and do heal from this torturous mess!

Keep the faith, keep your seat belt buckled and dig very deep to know that it REALLY DOES get much better!!!

Love you all TONS and TONS!! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: