SEVERE DEPRESSION

[ca...]

[ca...]

Hi all,

Has anyone started on a antidepresant while weaning off of Klonopin? I have very low energy and bad depression. I'm aware that I'm not sleeping well or enough hours and my energy level will be low but the depression is making things worse. 

Simple task like putting laundry in the washer is a mission due to lack of energy,motivation and everything that comes with depression.

Anyone that can share their personal experience on the same scenario?

[Ka...]

Hello @[ca...]

sorry you have ongoing difficulties.
There are several threads & I think you currently are trying to stabilise after a cut in klonopin? You also already take AD mirtazapine I5mg - is that correct? I am hoping you doctor is supporting you & during the severe sleep problem you have.

I have a hunch that the depression is coming from wd & sleep deprivation. If you are still thinking of a AD then that would be another medication on top of  what you are already trying. If this were me, I would try to stabilise before considering anything new such as a different AD. 

[ca...]

Hi Katrina,

I am so desperate. Yes, I do take 15mg of Mirtazapine to "sleep". 

I was suffering from depression before starting this whole tapering thing as a result of a heart condition I developed. That's when the whole abuse of the Klonopin started 

I just feel so drained, and tired ALL the time, with no drive, motivation, and more.

Maybe you are right and getting into a new psych med is not the smartest idea.  My head and body feel weird as it is. Adding another psych med will probably make matters worse. 😪. I'm crying like a baby right from frustration and desperation.

[Ka...]

Oh so sorry @[ca...] I know this is really difficult. & you are looking to fix the sleep. There have been lots of contributions on insomnia thread & we all try different methods. 
Given heart condition then a cautious safe approach is really vital. Maybe your doctor is the best person to review your meds. For example mirtazapine could be tried at 30mg to tackle depression….yet lower dose is more sedating. But if you are trying to stabilise klonopin then too many changes are not recommended. 

• Like 1

[ma...]
8 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Oh so sorry @[ca...] I know this is really difficult. & you are looking to fix the sleep. There have been lots of contributions on insomnia thread & we all try different methods. 
Given heart condition then a cautious safe approach is really vital. Maybe your doctor is the best person to review your meds. For example mirtazapine could be tried at 30mg to tackle depression….yet lower dose is more sedating. But if you are trying to stabilise klonopin then too many changes are not recommended. 

@[ca...] much ❤️

[Tw...]
1 hour ago, [[m...] said:

@[ca...] much ❤️

I had to go to a hospital for benzol withdrawal syndrome. I quit Xanax 14 mg per day 6 weeks ago. The hospital put me on Prozac for depression, Trileptal to prevent seizures, and Seroquel and Trazadone for sleep. 

3 hours ago, [[c...] said:

Hi all,

Has anyone started on a antidepresant while weaning off of Klonopin? I have very low energy and bad depression. I'm aware that I'm not sleeping well or enough hours and my energy level will be low but the depression is making things worse. 

Simple task like putting laundry in the washer is a mission due to lack of energy,motivation and everything that comes with depression.

Anyone that can share their personal experience on the same scenario?

@[ca...], i think low energy and depression can be expected while tapering. In fact it's normal and highly probable to retrieve for itself over time. Benzo also might be partly responsible. It inhibits our cns causing all the unpleasant things and when you're off benzo, the things must be improving. But i think you know it already. Just in case)

In fact i agree with Katrina but my experience was a bit different. I didn't have depression while tapering but had experienced it while being in tolerance prior to the benzo taper. As for low energy, i have had it more than enough. I think my rescuer was the same mirtazapine, which you're taking, but the dose was full, 30 mg. I grew it up by and by throughout the taper for 6 months and when i eventually jumped off benzo it reached exactly 30 mg. In my case it really helped. Now i'm tapering mirt. It's ok+-. Hope things will soon get better for you! Good luck:classic_smile:

[ca...]
8 minutes ago, [[c...] said:

Thank you for your feedback.  So the Mirtazapine started as a sleep aid and transitioned into an energy help?

29 minutes ago, [[c...] said:

Thank you for your feedback.  So the Mirtazapine started as a sleep aid and transitioned into a depression help?

Yes, Carlos, i think so. In fact i was prescribed it to treat my headache but my mood also improved, especially when it went upper 15 mg.

[Hu...]

I have depression, from WD. There are a lot of different types of depression and it's different for every person etc. But as long I can enjoy music, movies, sentimental things, food: I know it's WD depression. Now, that still feels awful. I've got a lot of SI also. But at least it's not dark..all the time.

Will an AD help? Probably. But that also brings SE.

[ca...]
4 hours ago, [[m...] said:

@[ca...] much ❤️

Hi Margiflower, indeed, with my heart condition I'm very limited with the medications that I can take. Mirtazapine increases cholesterol levels in the blood but is the only non-habit forming that I can take to help me get some sleep 😏.  I just hope that God has a plan for me as I need rest for my 6 months old Open Heart Surgery. This whole journey has been very difficult for many of us under different circumstances

• Like 1

[ba...]

@[ca...] I'm new but trying to help. Ehat dose of clonazepam are you on my friend if u don't mind me asking? 

And I agree with everyone that depression is a killer for me I have to much energy and anxiety is the killer but I've experienced depression.

I just got doctor to increase mirtazipine to 45 mg that will help sleep.

But my doctor isn't listening much. He just says uh huh when I'm telling him my hallucinations panick everything.

No appetite but yes I just prey he will slow my taper. He barely increased the mirrwxipine and barely talked him into three day  dispense of klonopin rather than daily delivery.

He's getting harsh. 

[tb...]

Your not alone in suffering depression. 

I am a 64 year old man and have never had depression like I have now. Simple tasks for me have to be planned in advance. I have tried numerous anti-depression drugs with no luck. I may try Wellbutrin next time I am at my doctors affice as I have read some good things about that drug. 

I am also experiencing severe agoraphobia which I hope will go away when I am om completely off Clonazepam.

[Bo...]

Lower dosss for mirt actually are more sedating…. 7.5mg and below are used for sleep where mirt is more activating at above 15mg.

Drs don’t understand that the lower doses are the most sedating and up peoples dosage where with this med the lower you go the more tired and knocked out people are.

[ba...]

@[Bo...] i have read that and i was told by my pharmacist don't believe the net lol.

I now am thankful u confirmed that. So 45 mg will be a waste? Should I just takr 15 or something? 

@[tb...] ssris don't work for me either. At least the 7 or 8 I tried back years ago did nothing. And facts agree but doctors just have no understanding. Its too bad i cant find anyhing else. Omg it's just a scary thing.

[tb...]

Yes, I break my Remeron pills in half because half a pill seems to work better and I am less tired the following day. The Remeron pills keep me from taking extra Clonazepams to sleep. For me it's day three of only taking .25 Clonazepam. I may try all this week of .25 Clonazepam at night then next week half of a half.

I have tried Zopiclone to sleep, they worked the first few nights then they stopped working. 

Also tried Seroquel and Trazadone without success. 

[ba...]

Zoplicone takes the edge of completely. Works better or close for me to Ativan.

I mean that's true though the effects of zopiclone go but I find mirtazipine stops working if taken everyday.

I guess everything for me is as needed or should be but lol on a long taper looks like tolerance has set in after 3 months taper. I now feel anxious always. Such is life I guess.

I'd love to see another doc but that would possibly suspend my taper. Oh well but thanks everyone.

[ca...]
On 27/04/2024 at 13:39, [[t...] said:

Your not alone in suffering depression. 

I am a 64 year old man and have never had depression like I have now. Simple tasks for me have to be planned in advance. I have tried numerous anti-depression drugs with no luck. I may try Wellbutrin next time I am at my doctors affice as I have read some good things about that drug. 

I am also experiencing severe agoraphobia which I hope will go away when I am om completely off Clonazepam.

I'm 52 with a heart condition which I'm battling while doing this whole tapering. Depression really sucks plus the anxiety. I am so happy for you that you are off clonazepam already. The agoraphobia will dissappear eventually. I am currently experiencing some of that because of the anxiety and lack of sleep. It makes it difficult for me to be in public places. 

How much clonazepam were you on and how long did it take you to come off of it? 

Thank you in advance for sharing

[ca...]

Today I started 25 mg of Zoloft. Depression and anxiety have me with almost three weeks of only 1-2 hours of sleep every night during this tapering process. I have no idea how I'm standing. No energy whatsoever. 

I will hold my .75mg dose of Kloni for a couple of weeks as Zoloft settles to see how it goes.

Please wish me luck 🙏🏻

[ca...]
1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

Good luck & really hoping things improve for you. 

Thanks Katrina. Hope to one day post my sucess story in here. 🙏🏻 In the name of Jesus.