Discussion: Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

[dr...]

Really nice write up Sofa, well done. I'd like to think I'm between 3 and 4, and leaning more towards 4.

Really well done, thanks for writing this.

:thumbsup:I want to thank you for this very helpful guide! Since we don't have anyone in the medical community that has any knowledge about the recovery process, we rely on those that have gone through it. By your guide I see myself entering into the 4th phase. I wasn't on Xanax very long (1 month) but the tapering and withdrawal stage was far longer than I was expecting. I have noticed that any kind of stress will indeed trigger a symptom. In my case the symptom is not always the same. Recently, it has been jaw and neck pain (pretty severe at times). We need this kind of reassurance that this is all part of the healing process and with time and a lot of patience we will be healed. Thanks again!

Aw, Challis, you are the BEST.  I love you, my friend.

You can copy it, wrap fish in it, light fire to it, it's yours.  I hope it gives one person hope.  That would make me happy.

Love, Sofa

:laugh:

Thank you!  I have saved it in my notes via a link, that way you'll always get due credit for it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sofa...

Perfectly written and explained! 

Love you!

P.S.  Challis...  Think about making this "permanent" on the forum.  This is truly needed for one and all....  Hugs to you! 

I shall give it a go!  :thumbsup:

It will be a while yet before I jump, but reading just about Phase 1 scares me death now.  I almost wish I hadn't read it.  :-\

That's a great idea/classification of the stages because its irrelevant to time but still gives optimism for healing and seems pretty accurate to the healing levels.

Sadly I am still in the phase 2 and praying I'll get to phase 3 soon!

Well done, Sofa. This is brilliant.

I'm at the tail end of Phase 2 with one foot FIRMLY planted in Phase 3. What a refreshing way to look at recovery.

GrandmaD: Try not to worry. Not everyone experiences a horrific acute period. I didn't, my first 2 months free were actually quite decent. It's normal to worry about acute (I sure did) but don't let it overwhelm you. We are all unique in this.

I think I am in phase 2.  These are things that trigger reactions

black pepper-makes my neck and face tingle

certain foods make my whole body tingle

people shouting or loud noises on the TV

anticipating upcoming events where I will have to be around people

driving by hospitals-

hearing scary benzo stories

heavy scents-perfumes etc

certain music

opening mail

waking up in the am realizing what has happened and that it is still happening to me

people doubting this could be real

driving by dr office

hospital bills

trying to sit in a restaurant

loud singing or babies screaming in church

these are things that have helped me recently-

spending time alone

walking Sadie ( my dog)

cleaning house

hot baths

warm milk

almonds

eating the right foods

reaching out to positive people

Grandma,

Please don't be scared.  Remember what I wrote about tapering versus cold turkey and Phase One?  Most likely, you will make a smooth transition to the acute phase and slide right into Phase Two healing.  That's the whole purpose of tapering slowly and steadily.

Sofa

It will be a while yet before I jump, but reading just about Phase 1 scares me death now.  I almost wish I hadn't read it.  :-\

Grandma - I CT'd off a high dose. Trust me, you can do it! You're on a taper which alleviates a lot I hear. Keep it up! You're doing great!

Thank you Kiddo.  You are very kind.  I hope people find this somewhat useful and comforting.  There seems to be a method to this madness after all.  Our brains aren't in turmoil.  They know exactly what they are doing.  They are healing us systematically.  I know I feel better when I look at it this way, rather than think my brain is a chaotic mess.

My biggest surprise (and joy) is that many people who have responded feel they are in Phase Three!  They feel almost healed!  Isn't that great?  And those who are in Phase Two can definitely see they are headed towards Phase Three.  People are healing all around us!  What we are going through doesn't always feel like a miracle, but clearly our brains and internal healing systems are just that.  Miracles of human nature.

Love, Sofa

Trying,

I didn't put timelines to the healing phases because we are all so unique and how long each phase lasts is different for everybody.  What we do seem to all have in common is a steady progression through each phase as I tried to describe them.  If you read the success stories, you'll see all sorts of different timelines, but the healing phases are unmistakable.

Sofa

Why has nobody thought of this before?  It's like a great invention...once it's there you're shocked it didn't exist before.  If we (sofa and co) can identify phases that jump out to us like black on white where are the counsellors? Drs? Etc...so sad the lack of resources we have.  I've educated several Drs on this.  So sad...

Is it possible to be in Phase 2 even though I'm still tapering? I've experienced windows as I have tapered and have had some symptoms get better as I go into the evening.

GrandmaD,

I CT'd so I'm unfamiliar with tapering.  Drew28, who posted above, is an expert on tapering.  If he sees this, he will respond. He is a personal hero of mine.  You can always PM him. 

Drew said the Four Phases mirror his withdrawal experience.  He would be the best person to tell you how his healing unfolded.  He is almost in Phase Four.  He can almost touch the open door to freedom and I respect his opinion.  He can also give you a great perspective of this journey with a very long taper (2 years).

Sofa

Is it possible to be in Phase 2 even though I'm still tapering? I've experienced windows as I have tapered and have had some symptoms get better as I go into the evening.

Anything w this journey is possible...a few lucky ones step off and feel relatively well when done tapering. Not the majority here though. A good rule of thumb is the more difficult the taper the more difficult the recovery.  There is no way to predict what your situation will be.  Wish you the best

Drew i read you are expert on timelines?

I am being hit hard w insomnia anxiety all kinds of sx...i ve had few windows but i felt better  in the winter. I m really confused!! Im feeling like i need a caretaker. I was sick most of my time on klon. with my history, am i headed to major protracted?  Im having hard time thinking theres anything to look forward to w my lfie

I'm not an expert on anything except making it through each day  :laugh:  All I can say is everyone who healed says the longer they are off the better they fee.  even years later.... so I just keep in mind the worst is behind me and I just do what I can to reach the next day.

yes i kept thinking that but this month i have been falling back. mentally emot and physcially. Is this really the brain repairing like i heard??? Im feeling like im in ct

pls someone explain, help me

Don't want to hijack this great thread but in short it's non linear healing Kris.  Completely normal. 

so we can go phase1  to 2 to 3 back to 2... I can understand small or short waves here n there in a phase but if its so extreme its like goin back to 1