Discussion: Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

[dr...]

[de...]

Jingles,

What I have found with me, and have seen on this forum with many others, is a "core" of symptoms that seem to attach themselves to us for the long haul.  Then there are adjunct symptoms that pop in and out and don't stay around, but the core symptoms stick close to us.  The good news is that the core symptoms gradually decrease and eventually leave over time.  We are all healing every day, even when it doesn't feel like it.  Remember that you are in recovery and the symptoms, both core and adjunct, are part and parcel of the healing that's going on.  The adjunct symptoms oftentimes just poof! go away, but the core symptoms seem to linger, decrease, then disappear.

Sofa

Interesting, that's exactly what I've felt so far in my withdrawal journey. Core symptoms like boatlike dizziness, detached limbs, twitching fingers and toes are always there, but tend to ease up at times. Secondary symptoms like burning skin, sensitive/upset stomach cycle around.

Blessed,

What a beautiful update.  Congrats on your arrival at Phase Three!  It is amazing when we can finally see the healing going on after so many months in the pitch black of withdrawal.  Come on Phase Four!

Sofa

Weishaupt,

You are doing really well in your recovery.  It took me 16 months to step into phase 3.  Keep plowing through this!

Sofa

[de...]

Weishaupt,

You are doing really well in your recovery.  It took me 16 months to step into phase 3.  Keep plowing through this!

Sofa

Thanks! I don't think I'm in phase 3 just yet. At the moment I'm having a sort of a window for a 2nd day, where some of my symptoms have dampened down, but it's still a long way to go.

Help please:

Hello,

I'm 3 months benzo free,  I'm not sure in what phase I'm now.    I did a very slow taper,  but seems like the small dose of valium count.  I was taking 0.20 mg,  the pill was 2 mg,  so It was a  half pill divided by 5, little piece of a pill. 

But seems like it was working, I was sleeping fine, my 7 hours, had some waves, some of them nasty, but mostly was a Tinnitus, 

but now that I'm benzo free, things started changing,  my acid reflux came back after a year,  I can't sleep very well, I have a adrenaline rush, It's a burning chest feeling,  some nightmares,  nervous in the morning.

I was told by my sister to take an Antidepressant like Prozac. 

Question will Prozac help me with my suffering ?   

Thanks

TEX

[de...]

Help please:

Hello,

I'm 3 months benzo free,  I'm not sure in what phase I'm now.    I did a very slow taper,  but seems like the small dose of valium count.  I was taking 0.20 mg,  the pill was 2 mg,  so It was a  half pill divided by 5, little piece of a pill. 

But seems like it was working, I was sleeping fine, my 7 hours, had some waves, some of them nasty, but mostly was a Tinnitus, 

but now that I'm benzo free, things started changing,  my acid reflux came back after a year,  I can't sleep very well, I have a adrenaline rush, It's a burning chest feeling,  some nightmares,  nervous in the morning.

Thanks

TEX

This definitely sounds like benzo withdrawal.

I'm by no means qualified to give medical advice or anything, but I'd skip the anti-depressant. You don't know how it's going to affect you. Just give your CNS and brain time to heal.

Blessed,

What a beautiful update.  Congrats on your arrival at Phase Three!  It is amazing when we can finally see the healing going on after so many months in the pitch black of withdrawal.  Come on Phase Four!

Sofa

Thank you so much Sofa!! :hug: Wow, just wow!  Yes, come on phase four!!

Love you sweetheart! :smitten: BIG :hug:

Hi Tex,

As far as taking an AD, please visit survivingantidepressants.org before taking this route.  You will find many people who are suffering immensely trying to get off these drugs.  They carry their own brand of hell that is very similar to benzo withdrawal.

You are, most likely, still in the acute phase.  Valium has a long half life which stays in your system longer and remains in the organs, leeching out slowly over time, which is why many people feel worse after a "honeymoon" period of sorts.  You are very early on in the process and how the recovery unfolds is very unique to each individual.  Some people have little to no difficulty withdrawing.  Others have a tougher time.  When you hit a rough patch know that it will pass and learn coping skills to keep yourself calm until the storm blows over.  It will dissipate eventually and the symptoms will all disappear in Time.  Time is the healer.

Sofa

Help please:

Hello,

Thanks

TEX

This definitely sounds like benzo withdrawal.

I'm by no means qualified to give medical advice or anything, but I'd skip the anti-depressant. You don't know how it's going to affect you. Just give your CNS and brain time to heal.

thanks Weishaupt,

you are right is time to let the CNS heal and  recover.  I will wait to get better.

have a nice day !!

Tex

I am writing for my wife who is too sick to write. She is 55 days benzo free after 42 day detox preceded by one year of taper misguidence by her psychiatrist. I am assuming she is in stage one but had 3 windows and two very horrible waves. While in the first wave, seizures developed. In the second wave attempted suicide and is now hospitalized and does not want to live. Has anyone experienced this. Drs will not listen when you try to discuss the long term effects of benzo w/d. I don't think she will get the right help but where she is. Please anyone who has been through this help us.

Withdraw tolerance (down to 0.6 mgs of Klonopin) and tolerance to therapeutic doses before (1 mg).  :-X

I feel miserable.  :-X

Hi:

I have a question....  After two and a half years, I'm now happily in phase #4; however, for a dental surgery, I took half an ativan and

was amazed at how happy and peaceful I felt for those 24 hours....wow!      Now, I wonder what to expect as I find myself with

withdrawal symptoms.

I live in California and can not find a doctor, treatment center nor support of any kind here.

Any suggestions? 

Ixoyc,

I'm so sorry your wife is hospitalized due to withdrawal.  She is in the acute phase and it is very rough.  Are they giving her meds in the hospital?  If so, what meds?  She needed to be hospitalized to keep herself safe.  This is a very harrowing experience.  Unfortunately, most hospitals attempt to keep the patients sedated with many different types of drugs in order to prevent them from harming themselves.  Benzo withdrawal cannot be accomplished in a hospital due to the fact that there is no medical treatment that will get rid of the awful symptoms.  Time is the only healer. 

You might get more support from other buddies if you add a signature of your wife's drug history.  Start a new thread on the main forum, rather than post on this specific thread, to get the most responses.  There is also a caregiver thread started by Pattylu.  You can PM her for the link.  This will help you immensely in caring for your wife and keeping yourself grounded for both of you.

Thank you for joining Benzo Buddies for your wife.  Please find that caregiver thread immediately.  One of the moderators can direct it to you quickly.

I wish your wife the best.  It is a tough excruciating battle, but she can do this and she has you in her corner.

Sofa

Fading,

Have you found the Klonipin thread in the tapering section?  I think this thread would give you the best support.

Sofa

Fading,

Have you found the Klonipin thread in the tapering section?  I think this thread would give you the best support.

Sofa

I have, but I had planned my tapering with my psychiatrist before. Personally I consider my case to be a bit particular because of the tolerance withdrawal and at therapeutic doses as well. I just have to get used to those random crazy symptoms I get every day I guess, and yesterday was a particularly harsh day. Today I feel calmer.  :o Maybe it's just the fact that the symptoms come in waves to scare me so much...

HI, I'm not sure.  5 weeks off Lorzanpem.  The bad days are bad.......like they say a very bad case of the flu.  I do have a few good days off and on.  My 'wave' seems to either be there when I get up or comes late am, I'm always better by bedtime..

what's up with that?  The latest is the metallic taste in my mouth...have had it about 10 days, does not go away..  Also, back pain...is this part of it?  Mr. Dr. and the pharmacist are really on well read on this subject and the withdrawals..... I did a step down of one and a half month to come off two .05mg. a day for 16 months.  Maybe it was too fast?  I need encouragement...

this has been unreal and not what I expected.  I went off because Drs. and NP's around here are not writing the RX for this anymore.  I was given it for grief.  Thanks so much, I just found this site...

Simplfy,

You are in the acute phase of WD.  It can get rough at this time, but you eventually step into phase two and you could start getting a windows/waves healing pattern.  I get my windows every evening, never all day and never 100%, just a dampening down in the intensity of symptoms.  That's just me.

Sofa

Fading,

Good plan.  Listen to your body.  It will tell you how slowly to taper.

Sofa

Indeed. I've also removed my valerian sleep aid and this is a little shock as well. I'll stay on 0.5 mgs for at least two weeks now. Then two weeks on 0,4 mgs, two weeks on 0,3 two on 0,2 and two on 0,1. It should be smooth enough to allow my receptors to heal meanwhile.

Basically I cut my initial dose down of 50% in less than a month.  :o And was able to manage the symptoms. :o

But I don't want to hurry up now I stabilized a little bit... on higher doses I couldn't.

Yay!!!!

I have hit the 6th month mark and have definite, significant improvement. I have turned the corner!!! I am healing and growing stronger everyday. I will recover 100%. Was and still am bound and determined that I will beat this monster. I already have!!!  I am in Phase 3!!!    ;)

ldm27    :thumbsup:

Well I thought I was in stage 3 at the end of April....hahahha wishful thinking. I was in stage 2.  I'm now finally starting to enter stage 3.  I'm sensitive to a lot of things. However, my systems can bounce back way better now.  Thank goodness!  :D

Thanks Sofa, you are the best!  You really are quite observant about this whole process.  I'm so glad that you posted this thread.  ;)