Dry cutting Xanax looking for buddies

[Bn...]

Lori

How are you doing. I know you saw my son has become estranged from me. I’m ok. You got this. Keep doing this on your time.

Kristin

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Lo...]

• [Bn...]

• [to...]

• [Ar...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, I've been reading thru this post and wanted to reach out just so I can keep following it.

I'm struggling with reducing and its good to know I'm not on an island. Just like a lot of people I got on it for anxiety without researching the medication and didn't even realize I had a dependency till this year and immediately started going to work.

Today for whatever reason is particularly not so good and I planned to cut 1/4 mg. Stay strong!

Hi everyone, I've been reading thru this post and wanted to reach out just so I can keep following it.

I'm struggling with reducing and its good to know I'm not on an island. Just like a lot of people I got on it for anxiety without researching the medication and didn't even realize I had a dependency till this year and immediately started going to work.

Today for whatever reason is particularly not so good and I planned to cut 1/4 mg. Stay strong!

Welcome Tapering Today!

This thread was once quite busy but has slowed down.  I think so many people on here are doing a crossover so us "direct cut Xanax" people seem to be a rare breed.  :)

I did end up updosing back to 2.0 mgs.  It was just too much through the holidays.  I host Christmas for 15 people every year and I wasn't sleeping.  Additionally, my son came home from college and I needed to be more functional.  Low and behold, I caught a nasty cold several days after Christmas (still have it) and even though I'm back at 2 mgs., I'm still struggling with sleep!  UGH!

So... on that happy note, I'm going to stay at 2.0 until I get rid of this cold and then continue a slow taper.  It's becoming apparent that I'm most likely one of those people who is going to have a lengthier taper than I'd hoped.  Maybe I'm wrong... maybe it will get a bit better once things calm down and I feel better physically.  Who knows! 

Nevertheless, welcome to the thread!  Keep us posted on your taper.  Wishing you the very best! 

Fondly,

Lori

Lori

How are you doing. I know you saw my son has become estranged from me. I’m ok. You got this. Keep doing this on your time.

Kristin

Kristin, I am beyond sorry for what you are going through with your son right now.  Over the past week I kept thinking to myself, "For all that she has endured over the past year, and for all the strength it took to get where she is, she doesn't deserve or need this right now!"  My heart has truly been breaking for you reading all about what has transpired.  I saw the note from your daughter as well and although you're right in saying that she took a risk with it, I admired how steadfast she is standing by your side!  The whole situation is truly heartbreaking.  Please know that I'm thinking of you and sending tons of prayers your way!  Let me know if I can do anything.

Much love and hugs to you!  You're such an amazing person... from the first day we "met".  You have an abundance of compassion and empathy.  I know that your sons problems are not because of you!  I hope you know that as well!  Hang in there and we'll catch up soon..

Love,

Lori

Lori

That was so kind!!!  Thank you. I am struggling. And yes I have had to fight my thoughts on the events of last year leading me to this. My anxiety is high but that is to be expected. I’m going to NAMI classes now. Got myself set up fast. I’m not sure yet how but this is supposed to be a good thing. Not that it’s happening but that we know the reason. Anyway. BOOK WRITING!!!

I’m with you Lori. Saw you have a cold. Not sleeping. It’s tough. Get well and post when you can.

Thinking of you my friend. You got this!!

Kristin

Hello all! I know this was an old thread but I just joined and attempting taper from xanax. I read thru ..this and you are all sooo strong!! I've been on some form of benzo for the past 7 years. Been on 2mg of xanax the last 2 years. I know might not seem like alot but its ruined my life and I'm ready to take the jump and journey. Hoping we can keep ..this thread active!! 🙏 I'm soo new to this not really sure how to start. Just this week started cutting from 2 mg to 1.75. Does that seem right ? Any info appreciated. Hope you all are doing ok!

Hello all! I know this was an old thread but I just joined and attempting taper from xanax. I read thru ..this and you are all sooo strong!! I've been on some form of benzo for the past 7 years. Been on 2mg of xanax the last 2 years. I know might not seem like alot but its ruined my life and I'm ready to take the jump and journey. Hoping we can keep ..this thread active!! 🙏 I'm soo new to this not really sure how to start. Just this week started cutting from 2 mg to 1.75. Does that seem right ? Any info appreciated. Hope you all are doing ok!

Welcome Drew!

This thread used to be quite active but several members have completed their taper (which is exciting) and doing quite well.  Others have found other threads mostly because they decided to crossover to Valium.  Nevertheless, a few of us are still here.  Welcome to the thread and please know what we are here to help!  Wishing you the best of luck on your taper.  Please keep in touch.

Fondly,

Lori

Congratulations Bnzoh8trforever!!

Great achievement of yours. So wonderful accomplishment!

I guess you must be enjoying no to depend on taking that poison anymore...

Please let us know how you continue.

Rodolfo

PS/ The dependence: that is one of the reasons I hate benzo: as I have to travel abroad often for my job, during those trips I am over-concerned to carry the pills with me, checking they didn't fell down in the airport, very afraid to lose them, etc.)

Rudolpho, You're off!  I'm sooooo excited for you!  Please keep us posted on how you're doing!  I am beyond elated for you, SeakingPeace, and Kristen!  You guys are giving me hope to keep pushing along!  I had to go back up to 2.0 due to this nasty cold because I desperately needed sleep and it seems like every cut hits me the same day now and insomnia is my worst symptom. 

Ugh.... enough about me... Again, CONGRATULATIONS!  I'm so happy for you!

Again, please keep in touch!

Fondly,

Lori

That's seems like pretty big cut to me.

I'd try to stay within the 5-10% range especially as you start to see how your body responds.

I cut too much in the beginning and went through hell.....

But when I slowed down things eased up tremendously.

:smitten:

SS

I'd try to stay within the 5-10% range especially as you start to see how your body responds.

SS

Hi SufferingSixty!  It's so nice to see your name again.  I'm still plugging along here.  A few have "jumped" since we started this thread last year.  It looks like you're still moving along.  I hope things are going well for you and that your taper is much smoother now.

I keep in touch with Kristin and am happy to report that she's doing very well post jump at the end of August.  She really got lucky as far as her taper because by all standards, it was very rapid for starting at 6 mgs and being on them for 20 years!  No word from SeakingPeace1 in a long time.  I'm assuming that no news is great news! 

Again, so nice to see you name!  Please keep us posted on how your doing.  Kristin drops in for moral support and encouragement for me as much as she can.  She's awesome!

Fondly,

Lori

SS

Hi SufferingSixty!  It's so nice to see your name again.  I'm still plugging along here.  A few have "jumped" since we started this thread last year.  It looks like you're still moving along.  I hope things are going well for you and that your taper is much smoother now.

I keep in touch with Kristin and am happy to report that she's doing very well post jump at the end of August.  She really got lucky as far as her taper because by all standards, it was very rapid for starting at 6 mgs and being on them for 20 years!  No word from SeakingPeace1 in a long time.  I'm assuming that no news is great news! 

Again, so nice to see you name!  Please keep us posted on how your doing.  Kristin drops in for moral support and encouragement for me as much as she can.  She's awesome!

Fondly,

Lori

Hi Lori,

thanks for the response!

Yes things are going along quite well at the moment, with a snail's pace of tapering.  But the snail's pace allows me to have some life and it is the trade off.  I'll be doing this forever but at least I'll be doing other things as well...

I can taper about 4-5% a month of my Xanax without too many sxs to take me out.

I credit this change to some supplements that I am taking! 

So good to hear about some walk offs!  We can all get there at our own pace.

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Welcome Tapering Today!

This thread was once quite busy but has slowed down.  I think so many people on here are doing a crossover so us "direct cut Xanax" people seem to be a rare breed.  :)

I did end up updosing back to 2.0 mgs.  It was just too much through the holidays.  I host Christmas for 15 people every year and I wasn't sleeping.  Additionally, my son came home from college and I needed to be more functional.  Low and behold, I caught a nasty cold several days after Christmas (still have it) and even though I'm back at 2 mgs., I'm still struggling with sleep!  UGH!

So... on that happy note, I'm going to stay at 2.0 until I get rid of this cold and then continue a slow taper.  It's becoming apparent that I'm most likely one of those people who is going to have a lengthier taper than I'd hoped.  Maybe I'm wrong... maybe it will get a bit better once things calm down and I feel better physically.  Who knows! 

Nevertheless, welcome to the thread!  Keep us posted on your taper.  Wishing you the very best! 

Fondly,

Lori

Hey Lori, thanks for the welcoming message. I've been struggling with the cut. The 2mg did not work out and set me back, very discouraging. I started to balance back out st 2.25mg at had two really bad days this week. Today being the worst.

Metal distortion, sensory overload and a panic attack at work today. Thank God it's Friday. I'm going to end up having to take about 2.75 today and try to go back to 2.25 tomorrow and hit the reset button.

Has anyone else had to do this? You take a higher amount for one day because it was a just a really bad day and then resumed the scheduled amount the next?

I just want to make sure I get sleep, it's the only way to rest my mind and prepare for a new day. Cant do it with tinutis and anxiety..

Hi Kristen, sounds like you are doing really well on what you are doing. I am going off of Alprazolem very slowly too. Started with 4x.50mg pills in October. (Have been on this medicine for 40 years. Yes, 40 years.) It was increased to this dosage in Feb 2015. November I cut the pill in half and was on 3.5mg, December 3 mg and now I am on 2.5 mg a day. Going very slowly. Want to be on 0 on June 1st. I am counting the days. The total was 213 days and I am on day 73 today. Yay! Keep on, keeping on.  :smitten:

Welcome Tapering Today!

Fondly,

Lori

Hey Lori, thanks for the welcoming message. I've been struggling with the cut. The 2mg did not work out and set me back, very discouraging. I started to balance back out st 2.25mg at had two really bad days this week. Today being the worst.

Metal distortion, sensory overload and a panic attack at work today. Thank God it's Friday. I'm going to end up having to take about 2.75 today and try to go back to 2.25 tomorrow and hit the reset button.

Has anyone else had to do this? You take a higher amount for one day because it was a just a really bad day and then resumed the scheduled amount the next?

I just want to make sure I get sleep, it's the only way to rest my mind and prepare for a new day. Cant do it with tinutis and anxiety..

Hi Taperingtoday.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond.  This cold had knocked me out!  Horrible three weeks!  Talk about needing sleep. 

To answer your question, yes, I have updosed but only twice going back to my previous dose for a day or two then going back down to the cut dose. You can see that in my signature.  For example, I had cut below 2.0 was trying to stabilize and got nailed with this headcold.  I knew that sleep was far more important for my recovery than dealing with the insomnia from my cut (which incidentally is my worst symptom)! I believe that I mentioned this in an earlier post.

I plan to resume my taper within a week once this thing finally passes.  However, in looking at your signature, you seem to be making pretty large cuts in a short period of time which may be why you're having such a tough time.  Just a suggestion, I'd slow down a but and stabilize so that you don't have to continue to updose.  Again, just my personal opinion.  I feel that once we get in the habit of updosing, we can tend to do it more frequently which can really mess up the taper progress. 

All that being said, hang in there!  You're still down quite a bit from your starting dose so that's a huge accomplishment!  Somehow, someway, we'll get through this!  Wishing you the very best!  Please keep in touch.  We're right around the same dose right now so hopefully we can help each other along the way!

Fondly,

Lori 

Hi Kristen, sounds like you are doing really well on what you are doing. I am going off of Alprazolem very slowly too. Started with 4x.50mg pills in October. (Have been on this medicine for 40 years. Yes, 40 years.) It was increased to this dosage in Feb 2015. November I cut the pill in half and was on 3.5mg, December 3 mg and now I am on 2.5 mg a day. Going very slowly. Want to be on 0 on June 1st. I am counting the days. The total was 213 days and I am on day 73 today. Yay! Keep on, keeping on.  :smitten:

Sounds like you're moving along nicely!  I'm still holding at 2.0 until this nasty cold passes.  Praying to resume sometime next week.  Please keep us posted on your taper.  Since we're close taking the same dosage, it would be great to have a buddie to share stories with.  Wishing you the best of luck!

Fondly,

Lori

Hi:

I’m very new to this site and magrita suggested I check this out.

I still have 2 more cuts on my antidepressant, then I’m done! Three long years.

Then onto Xanax.

I take 1mg 3 times a day.

I’m so nervous about tapering off this and don’t know why. :idiot:

I’m wondering if someone would like a new buddy that could use some help.

I need suggestions on how much to taper, how often etc...

What symptoms do you get? I got nausea really bad tapering my antidepressant.

I hope someone can help me out. I would greatly appreciate it!

Looking forward to a buddie to be able to help each other  :) :)

Thanks again. ::)

SS2

I'm a long time Xanax user. Just joined this forum yesterday. My struggle is that we just moved out of state and my psychiatrist gave me a few refills but said to find a doc here. Went to a primary doc, they won't prescribe it. Referred me to a psychiatrist who can't see me for three months. I hate this horrible drug. 14 years. I'm on 2 and a half per day. I cut .25 off one does yesterday and don't feel great. I feel very alone.

Hi:

Then onto Xanax.

SS2

Hi SS2!  So sorry nobody responded.  Welcome to the thread.  Congratulations on getting off your antidepressants.  I know that must not have been easy!  I'm still  holding at 2.0 mgs. and and praying to make a cut next week.  Have been sick with a nasty cold which turned into a sinus and ear infection last week.  It's been a miserable month to say the least.  This thread was once quite busy but a few have completed their taper "SUCCESSFULLY" I may add!  :thumbsup: so there's hope for us all! 

Please stay in touch and keep us posted on your progress.  I'll do the same.  We can use all the support we can get! 

Best,

Lori

I know that I am very late to the post. It was started in May, hoping some people still follow it. I'm wondering how I'm going to dry cut my 1mg when I go to .5.  I will have to split this pill up 3 times because that's how I take it now and I'm nervous to switch my schedule up. How do you guys dry cut efficiently? I know I don't have time to do the titration taper. My schedule is way to insane to be tied to the kitchen otherwise I would definitly go that route. My pysch was kind enough to give me 60 .5 pills to make it easier to cut but when I get into the very small doses I'm wondering the best way to approach this. Advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hi unseen

If your psych will give your.5. Perhaps they will give you .25. There is nothing more frustrating than worrying about that. Good luck

Lori. I’m so proud of you. Keep trucking woman. I’m out here. Need you!  I know you are sad because of your son. So am I because my son is sick.

You all can do this. Keep tapering somehow. Get off the benzos.

Kristin

I know that I am very late to the post. It was started in May, hoping some people still follow it. I'm wondering how I'm going to dry cut my 1mg when I go to .5.  I will have to split this pill up 3 times because that's how I take it now and I'm nervous to switch my schedule up. How do you guys dry cut efficiently? I know I don't have time to do the titration taper. My schedule is way to insane to be tied to the kitchen otherwise I would definitly go that route. My pysch was kind enough to give me 60 .5 pills to make it easier to cut but when I get into the very small doses I'm wondering the best way to approach this. Advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I agree with Kristin... if your psych was willing to give you .5 mg pills, I would think/hope that he/she would be happy to supply .25 mgs pills as well.  Fortunately, my doctor will give me anything I ask for as long as I'm tapering.  He's so excited with my progress that he trusts me to simply tell him what I need and he writes the script for a 90 day supply.  He's truly in my corner and is extremely vested in my taper and recovery.  I think if you talk to your psych, heck, show him my post, that he/she will help. 

Also, I'm using a Gemini gram scale (purchased through Amazon) and I file my .5 mg pills with a metal nail file.  I filed a ton a few weeks ago before I got sick.  I simply weigh the pills, do the math on taking off 2.5% or (.05) of each pill by weighing each pill, file it to that weight, put in in the pill box, and move on to the next one.  I did 25 pills at a time..  It was annoying but not overbearing.  I simply can't do the titration  right now. 

Here's an example:

Dose Cuts:

one .5 mg pill weighs @ .131 milligrams

File to .118 (depending on starting weight - sometimes the pills weights vary slightly)

Dose cuts based on 4 doses per day:

1 dose cut per day is a 2.5% reduction

2 dose cuts per day is a 5.0% reduction

3 dose cuts per day is a 7.5% reduction

4 dose cuts per day is a 10% reduction

I'm not sure if my body can handle a 5-10% cut in a single daily dose so I'm going to try to cut out 2.5% every few days.  Granted, it's unconventional regarding the posts I see of the 5-10% weekly reduction in a single cut, or the 1% daily micro reduction, but it's something I'm trying. I'll see how I feel and if it's tolerable and I'll keep doing this every 3 days (or however much my body adjusts to) and work from there.  This is my plan until I get down to 1 mg.  After that, I guess I'll do the same with .25 mg pills.  Right now I'm simply focusing on getting back on track with my taper after having been sick for over a month!  UGH!

Will keep you posted!

Fondly,

Lori

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in to see how everyone is doing.  Unfortunately, this thread has gotten very quiet.  :(

Cutting another small percentage today.  fingers crossed!

Lori

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

Then onto Xanax.

SS2

Hi SS2!  So sorry nobody responded.  Welcome to the thread.  Congratulations on getting off your antidepressants.  I know that must not have been easy!  I'm still  holding at 2.0 mgs. and and praying to make a cut next week.  Have been sick with a nasty cold which turned into a sinus and ear infection last week.  It's been a miserable month to say the least.  This thread was once quite busy but a few have completed their taper "SUCCESSFULLY" I may add!  :thumbsup: so there's hope for us all! 

Please stay in touch and keep us posted on your progress.  I'll do the same.  We can use all the support we can get! 

Best,

Lori

Thanks for responding. I haven’t been on for a while as you can see. I haven’t started tapering yet, not quite done with the AD. It’s been brutal.

I think I’m going to do 7-10% a month starting out and see how I do. I’m just terrified to taper Xanax for some reason. I wasn’t when I tapered my AD, so I could use all the encouragement I can get! I would love to have a friend  :thumbsup: SS2

• 2 weeks later...

Where did all my buddies go?  I feel like I'm literally talking to myself on this thread these days.  LOL! 

So.... hello self!  You're cutting to 1.5 today!  Fingers crossed.  Hope this goes well.  :)

Hope all are doing well! 

Lori

Hi Lori- I've worked my way down from 1.25mg down to 1mg over the past two weeks.  Rough night last night but I did get a couple hours of sleep which is good.  You're not alone.