Dry cutting Xanax looking for buddies

[Bn...]

Hi Lori- I've worked my way down from 1.25mg down to 1mg over the past two weeks.  Rough night last night but I did get a couple hours of sleep which is good.  You're not alone.

Congratulations on your recent cut.  I know what you mean... this is NOT easy!  I'm under a great deal of stress in my personal life and it's so not helping my situation.  My mom is having very risky surgery (valve replacement) in two weeks.  One doctor refused to do it because she's so high risk after suffering a ruptured aortic anyurism this time last year (which put my taper on hold then!  She literally had a 3% chance of survival.  This is insanity!  To make matters worse, I've developed gastritis from all of this stress.  Tack on trying to make these reductions and you can only imagine where my mind is. 

Okay, enough of my complaining!  Here's to praying that I can get through this 1.5 and hopefully continue.

Best of luck to you!  Please keep in touch!  I'm kind of out on a island here and it's nice to communicate with someone. 

Take care!

Lori

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Lo...]

• [Bn...]

• [to...]

• [Ar...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lori- I've worked my way down from 1.25mg down to 1mg over the past two weeks.  Rough night last night but I did get a couple hours of sleep which is good.  You're not alone.

Congratulations on your recent cut.  I know what you mean... this is NOT easy!  I'm under a great deal of stress in my personal life and it's so not helping my situation.  My mom is having very risky surgery (valve replacement) in two weeks.  One doctor refused to do it because she's so high risk after suffering a ruptured aortic anyurism this time last year (which put my taper on hold then!  She literally had a 3% chance of survival.  This is insanity!  To make matters worse, I've developed gastritis from all of this stress.  Tack on trying to make these reductions and you can only imagine where my mind is. 

Okay, enough of my complaining!  Here's to praying that I can get through this 1.5 and hopefully continue.

Best of luck to you!  Please keep in touch!  I'm kind of out on a island here and it's nice to communicate with someone. 

Take care!

Lori

I have two very little kids and a brand new sales management position where I need to be at the top of my game everyday. Some days are better than others but I just keep thinking that this is only temporary. I haven’t been on Xanax for long so I’m hoping that I can balance everything along the way but this really is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.  I feel like I’m in disguise or something. I don’t want anyone to know what I’m going through so I’m just trying to get by day by day.

With your cuts have you noticed them right away or over a couple days then stabilize?  With Xanax it’s more of a rollercoaster but since I only dose once a day at night I think my body might be used to it.

I just want this to be over.

Take care!

Lori

I have two very little kids and a brand new sales management position where I need to be at the top of my game everyday. Some days are better than others but I just keep thinking that this is only temporary. I haven’t been on Xanax for long so I’m hoping that I can balance everything along the way but this really is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.  I feel like I’m in disguise or something. I don’t want anyone to know what I’m going through so I’m just trying to get by day by day.

With your cuts have you noticed them right away or over a couple days then stabilize?  With Xanax it’s more of a rollercoaster but since I only dose once a day at night I think my body might be used to it.

I just want this to be over.

I completely empathize with your situation!  You certainly have a lot on your plate.  I did as well when I started this darn drug!  Oh, how I wish I'd known what I was getting myself into!  Nevertheless, to answer your question about when I feel the cuts.  It's been a non-linear pattern since I started.  The first few cuts early on hit me hard within a few days.  Then the cuts got much easier as I got down a bit (around 2.75-2.5) and didn't seem to hit much - usually just some insomnia that would pass once I stabilized.  However, my cuts lately have hit me the same day.  I'm assuming this is because xanax doesn't stay in your system very long.  Keep in mind, I'm coming from a high dose and 20+ years of taking them!  UGH!  Hence, I may not be the best person to give advice on your situation.  As they say on these threads over and over again, everyone is different.  I know, that's not much help to all of us who are hoping and praying to get answers from someone in order to reassure us or at the very least, prepare us for what's ahead.  It really does suck!

I guess the best advice I have for you is to listen to your body, try to not overthink it by obsessing over symptoms as this will just exacerbate your situation.  Just know that you've taken a much lower dose (I'm not sure how long you've been on it by your description), and that you WILL succeed getting off this poison! 

Hang in there!  I'm here if you ever want to talk! 

Lori

I read on the web, a system of filing the pills and that’s how I have tapered.

I’m almost at the end of my taper.

It hasn’t made my taper any easier, but that’s how I’ve done it.

Hi all,

I am here with you all!  We all need support and just know someone is here to be supportive.

I just did a cut yesterday and it hit me last night and this morning but I am feeling some better now.  I hope it continues to get better so I can continue on and just wait for the next cut.  I am not sure how much and how quickly I should be doing the cuts but I am listening to my body but any advice is welcome!  I started in January 2019 at 3.5 mg of Xanax and as of yesterday I am at 2.75 mg a day.

Know you are all in my prayers.

Julia

I'm feeling better today.  Had a presentation in front of 60 people and while I didn't feel 'present' in the moment, my brain went on autopilot and was able to cruise through.  Even made some jokes along the way that got a laugh out of the whole room.

I got my script filled for the first time on October 11th 2018 so it hasn't been long.  I wish I would have sorted this out sooner but I've never had a consistent benzo level in my system... it's been only at night then nothing during the day.  I've been tempted by dosing during the day but never did it.  This really should help with the process but cutting hasn't been fun.

Hi all,

I am here with you all!  We all need support and just know someone is here to be supportive.

I just did a cut yesterday and it hit me last night and this morning but I am feeling some better now.  I hope it continues to get better so I can continue on and just wait for the next cut.  I am not sure how much and how quickly I should be doing the cuts but I am listening to my body but any advice is welcome!  I started in January 2019 at 3.5 mg of Xanax and as of yesterday I am at 2.75 mg a day.

Know you are all in my prayers.

Julia

Hi Julia!

I saw your post on the other thread as well.  It looks like you're at exactly where I was this past summer and fall.  I got railroaded with a major cold, then sinus infection, and more issues over the past 2 1/2 months and was finally able to resume my taper. 

To be honest, the first few cuts weren't terrible.  Although I must admit, I'm one of those people who has never really been stable on any dose for years.  I never realized there was such a thing as interdose withdrawal an/or tolerance.  I have probably been suffering from that for at least 5-7 years but mistook it for my anxiety simply getting worse (despite most areas of my life calming down).  Hence, I did a bunch a research and low and behold, I found that the drug was the culprit!  It was crushing!  Had I ever known what this drug could do to someone, like most others, I would have NEVER taken it!  Unfortunately I was prescribed it over 20 years ago and told it was safe!  I assumed I'd be on it for the rest of my life or just stop at some point.  Again, little did I know!

To answer your questions, the rule of thumb is to not make more than a 10% reduction in two weeks.  Some people find that a 5% reduction every two weeks is easier or a daily liquid micro taper (DLMT) - which you'll see a lot of on here. Or a crossover to a longer acting benzo (Valium) and then a gradual reduction of Xanax followed by a taper of Valium.  For me?  I'm doing a dry cut for these reasons:

Crossover:

1.) When I found out about what the Xanax was doing to me, I researched everything I possible could.  I came across The Ashton Method (the only "bible" on this), got my doctor onboard and was ready to follow the protocol with a gradual crossover to valium.  First dose of Valium was 5 mgs.  I didn't even cut out my Xanax yet.  In fact, I hadn't tapered at all.  Long story short, I had a paradoxical reaction to Valium!  I did not sleep for 4 days straight and had major depression.  Keep in mind that I've never suffered from depression!  For the sake of keeping it upbeat and factual, I won't go into the details of how bad it was.  It lifted by day 5, I tried it again two weeks later with 2.5 mgs of Valium, and the same thing happened but for only 2 days (which seemed like forever).  Coincidence?  Not a chance!  I've never been that depressed on sleep deprived since!  It seems a subset of us to not tolerate Valium well.  Unfortunately, I'm one of them! 

This upset me so much that my doctor insisted that I put my taper on hold.  I did for almost a year.  I managed to cut out a milligram on my own over the period of time but I was so devastated because the Ashton Method was all I knew.  I didn't think you could taper directly from Xanax and I hadn't heard of anyone who did or how they did it. 

Fast Forward a year or so and I found Benzo Buddies and some help!

2.)  DLMT  I simply can't wrap my head around it.  I know it's not difficult to do (although it seems tedious).... but let's face it, what method isn't tedious?  Simply put, I was doing well cutting at higher doses so it was easier for me.  I know quite a few people who have successfully come off Xanax doing the dry cutting method.    (Kristen, SeakingPeace, etc).  Once I get lower in my dose, I may entertain the liquid titration if dry cutting becomes too difficult.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

Also, my last cut was probably too much!  I got myself so upset about my taper being on hold for two months due to being sick, that I probably got overzealous with this cut.  I'm feeling it!  However, I'm going to stick with it for two weeks in the hopes that I stabilize and then doing smaller cuts from that point forward.  To be honest, I'm drained right now as I type.  This had been one hell of a year!  I just can't wait to be off of this poison. 

Please forgive me as I'm in an anxious state today.  I'm usually much more friendly!  :)  I swear!  LOL! 

I did create another thread that isn't as long as this one or the one that says, "Me again, etc...."  I'll send you the name of that.  But by all means, go through this post and you'll see Matt, Kristen, SeakingPeace, and others who have since come off of this after long term use.  Their schedules may help you as well (they are listed on their signatures).  However, Kristen (with whom I keep in touch with and is doing very well, went VERY fast)!  I would not recommend following her taper. 

I'm so sorry that I'm all over the place today.  Just not feeling well at all!  All that being said, Welcome to the group!  I'm so happy that you chimed in and I look forward to being "Buddies" through this process!  And I promise I'll do my best to be more helpful in the future!  :)

Fondly,

Lori

Hello all!

I started a new thread since this one is quite lengthy and quiet a few who were on here over the past year or so have completed their taper. 

Here is the name of the new thread under "General Taper Plans"

LT High dose Xanax direct taper 1/2 way there!

I hope we can all continue on that thread as it's only one page long.  :) 

Wishing us all the very best!

Lori

Saw your post Lori, thanks.  Just knowing I am not alone is worth its weight in gold.  Your post was very helpful and I appreciate when you are not feeling good that you took the time to do all you did and how you explained so much!  You are wonderful!!  I can already tell you have a beautiful heart!!!  You helped me a lot!!!!!

Julia

Made another cut on Friday and feeling all right. Actually fell asleep on the couch watching a movie before bed last night. That’s extremely rare.

My wife and my 4 month old have the flu which means I’m pretty busy taking care of everyone. I’ll probably get it next.

Made another cut on Friday and feeling all right. Actually fell asleep on the couch watching a movie before bed last night. That’s extremely rare.

My wife and my 4 month old have the flu which means I’m pretty busy taking care of everyone. I’ll probably get it next.

Hi Jim!

Just checking in to see how you are.  I pray that your family has recovered from the flu and that you didn't get it!  Hope you're doing well.  Keep us posted.

Fondly,

Lori

Hi Jim!

Just checking in to see how you are.  I pray that your family has recovered from the flu and that you didn't get it!  Hope you're doing well.  Keep us posted.

Fondly,

Lori

Hi Lori- kicking butt over here!  I’ve tried to stay off the forums the second half of this week to ease my mind a bit. I had an appointment with my Psych doc on Wednesday that gave me a better perspective on things and I made another cut on Friday. I actually feel good which has reset my mind a bit...  since I’m not a long, long time user and I’m doing a reasonable taper I just need to keep my head in the game and not worry about everything.

I didn’t get the flu either!  I’m just looking forward to having this behind me...  Also, square breathing is my new favorite activity. Works like a charm.

Hi Jim!

Fondly,

Lori

Hi Lori- kicking butt over here!  I’ve tried to stay off the forums the second half of this week to ease my mind a bit. I had an appointment with my Psych doc on Wednesday that gave me a better perspective on things and I made another cut on Friday. I actually feel good which has reset my mind a bit...  since I’m not a long, long time user and I’m doing a reasonable taper I just need to keep my head in the game and not worry about everything.

I didn’t get the flu either!  I’m just looking forward to having this behind me...  Also, square breathing is my new favorite activity. Works like a charm.

Awesome news!  So glad to hear!  Keep rocking it.... you're doing fantastic!

Fondly,

Lori

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is doing ok.  Doing another cut starting today down to 2.50 mg.  Its been 16 days since the last one so I am hoping it is not too much too soon.  Of course I get anxious each time.  I just want to be off this horrible medicine if you could call it that! 

Thoughts and prayers to all.

Julia

I'm thinking about dry cutting my Ativan with a nail file and measuring the weight each time so that I am shaving off the precise amount I want. What I worry about is the reason I am taking Ativan - for sleep. If I wean OFF THIS benzo what will I do for sleep - CBT-I? I have failed so many different sleep meds since my ambien failed after 8 years.

I did a dry cut, im on my last cut, can’t go smaller than what am taking.

I read on the web a guy who recommended using a nail file to make the cuts, so I filed away my pills for almost two years and that’s how I got here. I didn’t have an easy tapering, but who does?

Filing my pills worked for me.

Best

Hi ~ Since I don't have any equipment (nail file, scale) yet,  I've been making my .25 Xanax slightly smaller by rubbing the pill between my fingers. 

I imagine the decrease is microscopic and I'm very surprised to find withdrawal symptoms: 

~ sleep interruptions

~ emotional/weepy

~ itchy

I think I'll hold here until I get a nail file.

Genevieve, I use a regular nail file. I started by cutting the .25 I’ll in two, I did my cuts every twenty one days and during stressful times if needed I waited more days. I filed both sides a little to make them the same size starting on the side of the cut. I read about this method on the web, after googling methods for cutting benzo use. I’m not saying this is the right method for everyone, but it worked for me. At the very end I find myself rubbing the tiny pieces just like you do. I’ve had every symptom in the book, so I’m not saying this is the best method, just the one that got me to the very end should jump in a couple of weeks.

Good luck.

Thanks, Demelza ~ That 21 day hold is helpful info for me.  I had no idea Xanax was this potent.  I hope you'll keep us posted about your jump :).

gen

Hi all,

Well, this is day 4 on this reduction and yesterday and today I feel like crap.  chest pains, stomach hurts and headaches.  I am going to keep going though, I know this too shall pass but I sure wish it would pass sooner than later.  I think I should have waited at least another week to do this cut but I will get through this one and wait longer to do the next one.

This is the hardest thing to do - WAIT  !!  It sucks as we all know what it is like to want to be off this poison and get back to whatever normal is.

I hope you all are having a good day!!

Julia

Hi All!

Julia, so to hear that you're not feeling well.  Hang in there!  It will pass.

I, too, am having horrible stomach problems but it's been over 3 weeks now.  I'm starting to think that it isn't related to the taper rather possible food poisoning or bacterial infection?  The gastro doc can't see me until April 10th which is the day before my husband leaves for Europe to see our son.  If this doesn't improve significantly prior, I'll probably end up in the ER to test for H.Pylori.  I can't keep going on like this.  My taper has been affected yet again.  I'm still hanging on at 1.35 but this is ridiculous.  The stomach issues happened long before the cut in my dose.  I'm at my wits end.  I've never had anything like this before.  It's a knawing burning in my stomach along with tightness on the sides (almost muscular in nature), and some other issues I won't gross everyone out with.  Worse, it's making me nauseous!  I can't get a break these days with the physical stuff.  Of course anxiety over this is only making symptoms worse.  I truly need to get to the bottom of this with the hope that it's something easily fixed so that I can take a deep breath, move on, and focus all my energy on the taper. 

I'm spent!

So sorry all for being a downer!  I don't like to be.  Hope all are doing okay!

Fondly,

Lori

Hi Lori,

I am so sorry you are still having stomach issues.  I had the H Pylori and it was treated with the antibiotics and then the doctor said I had gastritis and I am still being treated for that.  I am also having stomach pains in my lower abdomen and a pain on the right side .  I am going to the doctor Monday to have it checked out because I do not think it is related to my taper either and has been going on for about 3 or so weeks too.  It is not as bad during the day but when I lay down at night for the last several nights, I can not get comfortable as it hurts on either side I lay on.  It sucks I know.  If I were you I would go to the ER before your husband goes away so you will have someone with you. 

If it is H Pylori, it is a 14 day regimen  (for me) 4000 mg of antibiotics and it did help at first then the doctor said I had gastritis but I had taken ibuprofen 800 mg 3 x a day for 17 months so that explained why I got gastritis. Then she put me on prilosec.

I know what you mean, these physical things are ridiculous .  I am hoping you will feel better soon.  I am hoping my doctor Monday will tell me what is going on.  She will probably have me do an ultrasound.  Mine feels like where your gallbladder would be but I had gallbladder removal in Oct 2017 and then did the h pylori treatment.  So - I have no clue as to what the heck is going on.  I am so tired of having physical problems too.

Hopefully we both will get answers soon and get treatment and feel better and be able to concentrate on this taper.

I hope anyone else that is having issues will feel better soon too.

Take care.

Julia