Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Hi all,

I’m over 60 and want into this thread. I started my taper last night. Wow so many over 60’s!

The compliant generation...

Hugs to all

AC2C

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I’m over 60 and want into this thread. I started my taper last night. Wow so many over 60’s!

Hugs to all

AC2C

You (we) COMPLIED with the wishes of Big Pharm when we believed the Doctors, who also believed, there was a safe way to manage our pain which took many forms (pick one) grief, anxiety, physical pain, need to escape  etc etc

and gave us the magic pills that made everything better till they made everything worse.

Welcome to the baby boomers trying to get free of benzo hell.

He has a little bunny toy for Easter that he's carrying around...such a spoiled guy. Your rescue chipin, is this the one you mention in another post as not cared for by neighbors,did you take in the pup? You are marvelous  :angel:

No, they kept him and they moved.  He was very old.  My guesss he didn't live much longer  :(

My baby came from a rescue shelter.  He's a fine little boy  :smitten:

I want to alert you about a good thread called "long holds."  I am definitely doing that, and it is helping.  At our age, does it really matter how long it takes?  We want to live a good life at our age.

"Valley Um" has a lengthy post on the last page that puts in one place the wisdom of the whole thread.

Best wishes to all of you. 

I agree Julianna on both points. The 'long hold' thread is excellant. Some really good folks over there. And what's the rush ! I'm 10 months out from benzos and trying to knock that last tiny bit of the Z drug for sleep on the head.  I absolutely want off , but I'm not 'manic' about it like I was with the benzo. At our age ( or any age !) life is for living as well !

Hi all,

Hugs to all

AC2C

Welcome AC2C!

Jut saw you sig... Whoa that's some cut!  how are you feeling?  Hope it all goes well...!!!

SS

Hi SS,

Two days so far... not looking for anything....feel okay so far....will keep posting.

Much love and recovery to all of us!

AC2C 😘

So I'm the only discouraged one?

i've been holding onto ambien for sleep but now I get 2 hrs total that is it, feel awful.

I either take half or 3/4 or one... the least I can get away with.  But 1 is not working.  And I feel cannot do this without some sleep.

Very vibratey and hyper and agoraphobic and feel, as you say, no quality of life.

Have gone very slowly... mostly sideways, from 1/8 klon to 5 valium (well 4. something)...  but a year and 1/4?  Am alone so can't not function on ALL days.

Thinking of updosing.  I am supposed to go to dentist tomorrow so what is a person to do when they've been bedbound last few days?  Think my brain too old to heal, perhaps.

Glad you guys mostly doing better!

Barbara Ave .. I'm not going to say don't be discouraged .. there's nothing more soul destroying when you are craving sleep and someone says just keep going .. ! My mind doesn't even think straight when I have had little sleep .. sometimes I feel like I'm too old to waste any more time trying to get off these. I'm also on my own and 'get' now you have to function . If you want a cup of te you have to go and make it yourself. If you run out of milk you have to force yourself to get to the shop ...

is the dentist urgent ? If it's not xxln , and wait until you are feeling better.

I have nothing to say  that will make it better .. just know you are doing the best you can and we will support you whatever is the best for you .. am thinking of you xxx

Also in answer to your question a few pages back.. ' why is it worth it ' .. for me it's worth it having a sense of normality .. too many years have been clouded in a drug haze that I was not even aware of at the time.. since being benzo free I am noticing how I 'feel' things better . How my brain isn't as 'fogged' up .. how I am relating to other people. For me that's how it's worth it. I want to be able to be ' normal' before I pop my cloggs. I want to be me .. too many years spent pretending ..

it's even important for me to get off the tiny bit of zopiclaine .. I'm in no hurry but I want to get off it .. so I guess it being 'worth it' is an individual experience . I just know my world is one hell of a lot better than it was five years ago .. xx

Also in answer to your question a few pages back.. ' why is it worth it ' .. for me it's worth it having a sense of normality .. too many years have been clouded in a drug haze that I was not even aware of at the time.. since being benzo free I am noticing how I 'feel' things better . How my brain isn't as 'fogged' up .. how I am relating to other people. For me that's how it's worth it. I want to be able to be ' normal' before I pop my cloggs. I want to be me .. too many years spent pretending ..

it's even important for me to get off the tiny bit of zopiclaine .. I'm in no hurry but I want to get off it .. so I guess it being 'worth it' is an individual experience . I just know my world is one hell of a lot better than it was five years ago .. xx

Yes, yes, yes!  :smitten: :smitten:

I have been suffering the past 4 days with “ benzobelly” - yet I am grateful, even when my body rebels and gives me pain and does not let me sleep, that I am free of the monkey ( as I call dependence on pills)

Bozo,

I have to agree about the sleep.  Unless you live it, as I have all my life, you don't know how it destroys your life.  Which is why the benzos in the first place.

Anyhow, I'm not happy that I took slightly more valium last night, but I AM happy that I got 5 hours and felt like a human being today.  Did the dentist... no problem.  Amazing that a tiny bit more of the drug can do so much for me.

Re the "haze" you say you were in that you did not realize, I kinda of wonder what you mean.  I have seen others post that they were emotionally blunted and other stuff but I have never felt that way.  So wondering what you did not realize at the time you do now?

Anyhow, not sure if I will go back down to my "regular" dose of benzo or what.  But boy, it was a break I needed.  I know chronic not sleeping is hard on your heart, your brain, and leads to obesity and cancer. 

If I did not have the sleep disorder and insomnia problem, I'm sure I'd long since have been off these drugs.  For that matter, would never have gone ON them!

Thanks for the support.

I think the 'haze' is only obvious once you're done with the drug.. when I was in it didn't realise.. I know it was a haze now as I am thinking sharper . I understand what people are saying a lot quicker . Now if you'd asked me that when I was on the Ativan I would have thought I was quite sharp then ! But I wasn't .. I see things differently . I see in colour more than pastels . Once again I wouldn't have thought that was how it was before ...it's only now I realise. I was sluggish before . It took me a long time to decide to do something and my attitude was quite negative about a lot of things. Now , I'm a lot more positive in my outlook ... that's what I mean by haze.

Glad you managed well at the dentist. Don't feel bad ab

Whoops posted before I had finished..

Don't feel bad about increasing the Valium. We do what we have to do ... x

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SS

• 3 weeks later...
Started magnesium citrate several days ago and what a difference! I'm getting plenty of good restorative sleep now and feel a lot better.I take 250 mgs at noon then another 250 mgs before bedtime.I plan on getting to a health food store to pickup magnesium glycinate to try out.Thanks to BB I was able to research things to try for improvement,this place and the people here are lifesavers!

Started magnesium citrate several days ago and what a difference! I'm getting plenty of good restorative sleep now and feel a lot better.I take 250 mgs at noon then another 250 mgs before bedtime.I plan on getting to a health food store to pickup magnesium glycinate to try out.Thanks to BB I was able to research things to try for improvement,this place and the people here are lifesavers!

I'm so happy you are sleeping better, sleep changes your whole outlook.  And you know who gets big pet and kisses from me :D

Soup:

I use mag taurate and find it excellent! The best (for me).  Another great option.  No GI issues, taurine helps relaxation, gaba and sleep also...glad you're sleeping better

Mary5588 : yes,lots of pets and kisses to all the puppers & doggos!

ToughNights2451 : thanks for the taurate rec,I will try that also. I want as many tools to sleep and for health as possible.

Hi Suffering Sixty,

I’m 21 days and holding until May 6 (traveling). Just wondering if you or anyone else cranky? I am feeling okay just cranky. Sleeping well... when I get back I was going to cut by another 25% I think I will cut .50 mg in half then quarter that. I felt okay with the first cut, I am holding about 4 weeks. Slow and steady.

Hugs to all,

AC2C

Hi AC2C,

I can get pretty irritable when I'm waiting for my next dose...  This longer than regular for me hold is doing wonders though.  I've had a few days where things have been a bit tough but today is one big day of normality!  My energy level is low but that's a given.

Holding for a month between cuts is super wise AC2C, you may be able to get off this easily-- I'm hoping that is so for you!

Hope everyone else is hanging in there and/or doing well.  The magnesium sounds like something to incorporate into the day!  So glad it's working well for you Mary!

:) SS