Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Thanks Barbara and Mary - my birthday is not until next month though!

Sorry  :)

How are you doing Mary?  I know you were needing to hold for a bit to ease some things....

thinking of you and hoping the benzo beast releases it's claws soon....

:smitten: :smitten:

I have been holding 2 weeks, doing better.  Always before as soon as I felt better, I would go right back to tapering but this time, I'm taking a week more.  I need a break :). Stalking you on bb while you are on the 🌴 island.  You know we are all glad you are on the island 🌴 but might be a little jealous ;):smitten:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Barbara and Mary - my birthday is not until next month though!

Sorry  :)

How are you doing Mary?  I know you were needing to hold for a bit to ease some things....

thinking of you and hoping the benzo beast releases it's claws soon....

I have been holding 2 weeks, doing better.  Always before as soon as I felt better, I would go right back to tapering but this time, I'm taking a week more.  I need a break :). Stalking you on bb while you are on the 🌴 island.  You know we are all glad you are on the island 🌴 but might be a little jealous ;):smitten:

Sure get needing a break!  I think that's part of my dilemma -- I pushed so fast so hard in the beginning that the mere thought of those sxs can make me nauseous....

And this island deal I'm living is a unicorn thing!  Last summer when I was so very very sick with sxs I couldn't find a way out of the city for love or money... the heat, the noise it all got to me, but  --  I know I'm very lucky this year... I'm grateful every day for this opportunity.

Hope your week goes well and that you get the break you so deserve from the bulk of it all.  (I stalk you a bit too cautious chicken sister!)

SS

And after a wonderful week or two of good sleep , wham ...... back to three nights in a row of only 3-4 disjointed hours ! Such a leveler !! No hum .. love to all xx

And after a wonderful week or two of good sleep , wham ...... back to three nights in a row of only 3-4 disjointed hours ! Such a leveler !! No hum .. love to all xx

Sorry BB, hope it comes back quickly, it means so much :smitten:

Thanks Mary.. me too !

It’s great tho because I’m not as stressed about it as I was in withdrawal . And because of that it doesn’t seem to be effecting me so much during the day ... I guess age is a factor too. I’m not so sure we sleep as much as we grow older. Can you remember when we were kids. It took forever for Xmas to come around .. the year went so so slowly !!  Now ... I just can’t believe it’s august all ready .. crazy.. love to everyone xxx

Oops, sorry, Marg.

NOt sure why I thought it was now!

Well if I forget next month then I was just early with my greetings this time!

:laugh:

61years old and anxiety is so bad in the throat and chest. 1 year off 0.5 xanax. What can help the anxiety?

Hi Storm,

Welcome to the group.  That's a big question as there are so many variables around anxiety.

Firstly congratulations on being off this stuff -- that huge!

Did you taper slowly? are you a short term user?

there are some supplements that folks find helpful, as does exercise, diet, therapy, etc etc.

Anxiety is awful! but there are things that can be done....

So glad you're here with us seniors  ;)

SS

I am 1 year off 0.5 xanax 3 times a day due to my thyroid beine removed. My heart rate got so high. I was placed on xanax to take the surgery . I took it for 3 months. I did not know about tapering but I did cut down for 5 weeks.

For anxiety, I usually want to take something.  If you can relax a little, sipping on chamomile tea will be soothing.  I usually brew a tea bag, settle down in my easy chair, and let my mind wander.  Sip slowly.  It will make you a little sleepy.

Benadryl will also calm anxiety, and it doesn't affect GABA, and so is safe.  Benadryl is often used for sleep, but it takes up to an hour to kick in.  I get by on half a 25-mg. tablet.  It does make a difference.

I wish you well.  Meditation will also help long term, but if you are anxious, you may not be able to settle down to a mantra.

Let us know how you are doing.  Stay in touch.

Uh, I kind of updosed.  I was going to see dr. for new rx (she does not know about taper) and ask a few things in general... could not go.  Just so need a night of sleep.  Did take a half a Lunesta which was lying around, and Lunesta really never worked for me.  Took half ( 1.5 mg) and slept 4 hours.

Thing is I need like 8 or 10 or 12 hrs...  don't feel a lot better.

Nobody to call or anything-- do I reinstate my original clon?  up the xanax?  feel defeated and this has been such a long, long time.  I don't see how you do this without sleep or support people...

:-\

I meant valium, not xanax.

I thought I was made of pretty strong stuff, but a year and a half of this and no sleeping I am just crumbling which is scary.

I meant valium, not xanax.

I thought I was made of pretty strong stuff, but a year and a half of this and no sleeping I am just crumbling which is scary.

I answered on the other thread.... not sleeping is hell.

But you've got some folks here who really care about you ....

SS

I responded on the "under 3 mg. Valium" thread.

People here really do try to help, and I hope that reading the stories will give you some insight.  I recommend the "long holds" thread also, because you have been holding a long time.

Take care.  Write often.

BA .. I empathise .. I really do. Not sleeping is hell on wheels and makes the days ghastly as well . There is nothing to say that will make it any better . It’s just awful.  It goes on and on and on , and then it gets better.

We do all care about you. Keep writing ..xxx

Hi all, new to this forum and learning a lot from you all and grateful to find this group. I am 62 tapering off 4mgs a day July 30, 2018. I went down 1mg the first two weeks and down another 1mg on Monday so I a. On 2mgs total. I think I may be doing this a little fast so next cut in a week will be by .50. I got off Oxycodone in 2014 and Flexeril in 2016 and now working on Diazepam my last controlled substance. All three we prescribed in 2006 for low back disc herniations. I have had chronic nerve pain and then RLS for ten years and thought it was due to my back but my MRI looks great and my neurologist did a nerve test on my legs and he said I had no nerve problems. Oh yeah? Tell that to my legs. I am wondering if these nerve pains... constant buzzing/throbbing in both legs is really from Diazepam and that I might have been in tolerance withdrawal all these years and did not know it. I never upped any of these doses and have gradually been taking less Diazepam going from 5mgs 2x a day to 2mgs 2x a day holding for 4 years. I can’t walk much or wear different shoes as it causes severe muscle spasms so bad I ended up in the ER from fainting from pain. I think once I am off Diazepam I might be able to walk again. Currently I just do water aerobics. Anyway I am so happy to be among you and cheer all of you on. Thank you for all of your sharing, I have an awesome supportive husband but you all understand.

You are reducing VERY fast, and the withdrawal may not have hit you yet, because Valium stays in the body a long time (half life eight days).  This site recommends only a 5 to 10 percent cut every 2 to 4 weeks.

Read some of the other posts to see what I am talking about. 

I wish you well.  Some people are able to cut rapidly, but most cannot, and the withdrawal symptoms can be brutal. 

I am concerned about you.  Please write again.

Thank you, Of course I ran this by my Dr and he thought it fine. I only have 2mg tabs to cut in half. I see him Tuesday. Is there liquid as I find cutting pills impossible. I thought Ashton said cut one mg every two weeks and when you get down to .25 jump. Too fast?

Thank you, Of course I ran this by my Dr and he thought it fine. I only have 2mg tabs to cut in half. I see him Tuesday. Is there liquid as I find cutting pills impossible. I thought Ashton said cut one mg every two weeks and when you get down to .25 jump. Too fast?

Hi Larsson,

Many many people find Ashton too quick for doing a sxs based taper, which appears to have the best long term outcome in the end.  And lots taper right down to fumes; that's what I intend to do as I've seen so many people walk off without going into any kind of acute. 

Welcome to this thread!

SS

Thank you SufferingSixty! I am amazed by all I have learned and horrified at the same time. I am shocked that such a “low” dose I was on is causing such trouble... I guess there is no such thing as a low dose. Learning what I can about MT, sad they took the video off YouTube... guess the powers that be don’t really want us off.

Thank you SufferingSixty! I am amazed by all I have learned and horrified at the same time. I am shocked that such a “low” dose I was on is causing such trouble... I guess there is no such thing as a low dose. Learning what I can about MT, sad they took the video off YouTube... guess the powers that be don’t really want us off.

Y'know Larsson,

A good thing about the video on You tube being removed -- not that I saw it so what I say is heresay-- is that much of it was inaccurate and confusing.

I know there is a method of liquid micro tapering that encouraged people to throw away part of their dose of meds... no need to do that!

There are lots of knowledgeable people around here who have done well with LMT.  It been great for me, and I do a combo of pills and liquid that I have found to be the best for this body...

I know "low" dose is a very unreliable term..... my doc said I was on a low dose at 1mg of Xanax  :sick:

But things have gotten batter as I go down,  :thumbsup: and although I'm not off yet I can see where this is going, just don't know how long it will take yet.  ;)

I've learned not to worry or ponder about that too much...

Welcome again!

SS

I am new to this forum and am 68 and committed to stopping xanax.  This is my second day on this sight and would appreciate support and encouragement.  Hoping I'll be able to offer the same when I'm free of this evil drug. 

I am new to this forum and am 68 and committed to stopping xanax.  This is my second day on this sight and would appreciate support and encouragement.  Hoping I'll be able to offer the same when I'm free of this evil drug.

Hey Basil,

Welcome to the site and to this thread!  We'll be able to support each other as we go down on this stuff.....  it's a journey to be sure!

:thumbsup:

SS