Seroquel Support Group

[be...]

I c/t Seroquel and it was awful. My whole body and head hurt, I vomited, I was depressed. I had to reinstate it. It was a nightmare.

I had the same thing. I felt so horrible. Now I’m on a higher dose but ER. I don’t feel like it makes all that much of a difference than before I tapered off. I feel like there’s no progress at all. :(

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [be...]

• [Co...]

• [lo...]

[d4...]

I'm going to make an appointment with my psychiatrist and see what she thinks...  thanks for addressing this, Bets! I think I'll ask her how long I've been on it too... I just know I'm loosing it...

A lot of people have memory problems on it. Even low doses at times. I think you're right in going back to your psych and questioning it. I've been off since 18th Jan after coming down from 150mg back in the summer. All it ever did for me was make me sleep but my psych thought it would treat my depression as an add on which is off label.

I decided to get off of it after finishing my Lyrica taper on a harm reduction basis as Seroquel can have some unpleasant side effects of which memory issues is one.

Good luck.

Staz

Thanks, Staz!

Seroquel actually worked really well for my depression (the type that would have me go to the hospital). It saved me. But now? I have dropped from 300mg to 250mg on my own this week. I feel the difference... my thoughts are racing more... I will be seeing my doctor for sure... I can't risk going back to that deep, deep pit of hell  >:D  I have bipolar disorder...

If you are bi polar then you may need this med as you said it worked for you at 300mg. I didn't do a thing for me but your case is different Redwood.

Seroquel was prescribed to me when I was diagnosed with Lupus, only 50mg tabs.  Not sure why.  Also my family doc years ago wanted to prescribe it for me and said it was something "safe" besides the benzo's since I was suicidal then.  I have some pills of Seroquel which I split into tiny pieces and take just a few milligrams at night.  I don't know how anyone could function taking even 50 or 100 gms. let alone 200 or 300 mgs?  That's alot of Seroquel.  I guess you get used to it.  Doc told me it's very powerful which it is.

I finished tapering off klonopin a little over a month ago.  I was taking both klonopin and seroquel 50mg.  Now that I am only taking seroquel I was wondering would it be too early to start tapering now?  I have trouble staying a sleep as I get weird dreams every time i wake up and go back to sleep.  My hot flashes come at night as well and idk wether I should wait a few more months.  I am hoping there is somewhere where I can find info on cutting seroquel

I started tapering it about six months after I c/t the benzo.  I was still in w/d and still am.  I don't know whether it has made things more difficult but my insomnia has remained under control.  I was on 25 mgs and am now on 3.  I used the gram scale and would make a very small cut every five days.  Small as in one third of a mg.  It took a year to drop from 25 to 3.  I now had a compounding pharmacy compound it into one quarter mg capsules and will be starting the taper again in a few weeks.

The good news is that the antihistamine effect which promotes sleep actually is effective even as you drop the dose.

Good luck!!

Carol

I've been off of all meds since january, seroquel was my last, and i still feel horribly sick. Bed bound. Tremors, shaking, akathesia. Dislocating joints.

I'm still looking at alternatives , i think histamine is a big issue for me. So i wouldn't reinstate seroquel but i might consider trying an antihistamine until i have a better solution. Low dosage of seroquel definitely works as an antihistamine (with other properties) so for me the clue is there. (mast cell activation syndrome)

Cors: I do think that benadryl etc is safe.

Also you might consider an BP med like propanolol. I used them briefly post jump, I think they helped some

I've been off of all meds since january, seroquel was my last, and i still feel horribly sick. Bed bound. Tremors, shaking, akathesia. Dislocating joints.

I'm still looking at alternatives , i think histamine is a big issue for me. So i wouldn't reinstate seroquel but i might consider trying an antihistamine until i have a better solution. Low dosage of seroquel definitely works as an antihistamine (with other properties) so for me the clue is there. (mast cell activation syndrome)

Dee, makes a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Can seroquel be causing me to get up and have to urinate every 1 hour or so.  Lately I have to use the bathroom a lot especially at night.  After that I can't go back to sleep.  I can only sleep 1 or 2 hours a day.  Psychiatrist gave me Trazodone to calm down at night.  Idk if this makes it worse

Can seroquel be causing me to get up and have to urinate every 1 hour or so.  Lately I have to use the bathroom a lot especially at night.  After that I can't go back to sleep.  I can only sleep 1 or 2 hours a day.  Psychiatrist gave me Trazodone to calm down at night.  Idk if this makes it worse

Seroquel does not do that to me. Trazodone did not do that to me. Trazodone did not work for me for sleep. I tapered off it ages ago. I take low-dose Seroquel (25mg) 2 hours before bed on an empty stomach. I sleep about 6 hours on it.

Gard

it can mess with blood sugar. i had some rare urination issues, but not every hour. happened for 1-2 days and never again.

check your sugar levels

i had that symptom it's because of adrenal fatigue in my case. Your adrenals also produce aldosteron , seroquel does have some effect on the adrenals it's dependable on your own combination of meds and body i think.

Since being off i have some nights where it happens less or not and other nights i have to pee multiple times

• 2 months later...

Sifted through thread, good info.

I am tapering both xanax and seroquel. I do one, then the other, at low cuts.

I have a question.

I am in day 6 of an acute asthma episode and wondering if it's seroquel. I accidently upped my dose from 425 to 500 (benzo brain) Counted back, the asthma started when I did that.

Really want to know of others who experience asthma on this med.

Updosing/ Downdosing? trigger asthma?

Asthma is the worse thing I go through, it is a nightmare. I see no other change since this started, other than adding .75 by miscalculating. My base dose is 450. Was tring to cut to .25, instead went up by .75 (It's been 6 days, asthma started right after)

Ps, I never had asthma until I got on these meds, the benzos and the seroquel.

input appreciated,

I'm really sorry you're having such trouble, baddove. I take a very low dose of Seroquel, only 25mg, and haven't had asthma from it. I had one asthma attack in my whole life that was an allergic reaction to a guinea pig. Nothing ever since then. Maybe you have been exposed to an allergen or developed a new allergy?

I'm glad you're tapering the Seroquel. If you're taking it for sleep, I don't think anything over 100mg is doing you any good. My pharmacist even told me she thought I should taper my Seroquel first and my benzo last because Seroquel was a more dangerous drug. But I have no answer to my insomnia problem yet, so I can't quit the Seroquel. And my dose is very low. Just my opinion, but getting lower on the Q is probably a very good idea.

Gardie (new nickname gifted to me by Cantfly who thought I should sound more girlie ::))

Gardener et al...

Hi!  I am another one with terrible insomnia (pre benzo as well).

Dr. does not think can taper off if I have such terrible sleep.  So revisiting all the many drugs could never take... tried 2.5 Saphris... felt very sleepy, did sleep, but not too good.  Tried another couple days a bit more and really bad muscle aches.  Wow.  OK, so so much for that.

Came across a few seroquels and 3/4 of a 25 mg did put me to sleep.  But I am reading what a horrible med it is and more difficult to come off than benzos? 

So this does not sound advisable...  why not up the benzos?

I am so tired of this... been over a year and  a  half and no stabiity.

Thank for any input at all!  I know I am a very tough case.  And old... hard to rebound from stuff when you're mid 60's and been on benzos decades.

Hi Barabara, In my case, I had habituated to my Xanax and upped it several times in only 6 months. And I still lost my sleep. I take 25mg of Seroquel. I've been taking it for 3 years. I haven't habituated to that dose. It gives me an awful morning hangover. It has the scary potential side effect of a permanent movement disorder. I hope to be able to get off of it or at least lower on it after my benzo is gone. I chose the Seroquel because I can take such a small dose and still sleep so-so. I was heading for a huge dose of Xanax which I didn't want to take. The Xanax was also causing me very significant memory issues. I still have them on the Librium. So the Seroquel for me was the lesser of 2 evils. I would rather take amitriptyline or doxepin, which are also a powerful antihistamines, but I don't process it properly so a bedtime dose zonks me all day instead of just at bedtime.

Gardie :)

I doubt 25MG can cause TD. the lowest amount I found online which caused TD was 200mg.

I also found that seroquel is relatively easy to get off/taper, from doses lower then 50mg. you can take antihistamines or propanolol temporary, to counter the minor w/d effects.

I still have much box of seroquel and wouldn't mind to use it occasionally for insomnia. it is much better then insomnia.

Hi Barabara, In my case, I had habituated to my Xanax and upped it several times in only 6 months. And I still lost my sleep. I take 25mg of Seroquel. I've been taking it for 3 years. I haven't habituated to that dose. It gives me an awful morning hangover. It has the scary potential side effect of a permanent movement disorder. I hope to be able to get off of it or at least lower on it after my benzo is gone. I chose the Seroquel because I can take such a small dose and still sleep so-so. I was heading for a huge dose of Xanax which I didn't want to take. The Xanax was also causing me very significant memory issues. I still have them on the Librium. So the Seroquel for me was the lesser of 2 evils. I would rather take amitriptyline or doxepin, which are also a powerful antihistamines, but I don't process it properly so a bedtime dose zonks me all day instead of just at bedtime.

Gardie :)

I doubt 25MG can cause TD. the lowest amount I found online which caused TD was 200mg.

I also found that seroquel is relatively easy to get off/taper, from doses lower then 50mg. you can take antihistamines or propanolol temporary, to counter the minor w/d effects.

I still have much box of seroquel and wouldn't mind to use it occasionally for insomnia. it is much better then insomnia.

I doubt it, too, so I don't know why my pharmacist was concerned. I did have a nasty time trying to reduce it once, but I was not very stable at the time.

So amitryptilene (how much0  or doxepin considered preferable?  Doxy 10 mg did not put me to sleep  Amitryp I would have to revisit.

OTW, can't tak antihistamines... only did th e  seroquel once...  wow 'new gmail' dos not work sorry..

if doxepin 10mg did not work, I highly doubt more will work. also amitp most likely won't work then.

So amitryptilene (how much0  or doxepin considered preferable?  Doxy 10 mg did not put me to sleep  Amitryp I would have to revisit.

OTW, can't tak antihistamines... only did th e  seroquel once...  wow 'new gmail' dos not work sorry..

These all work because they are antihistamines. :(  I can't remember whether ami or doxi is a more potent antihistamine.

Seroquel is not antihistamine..?  Took 3/4 of 25 mg and does make you sleep but then you are totally out of it.  hmmm.  Maybe is better to stay on benzo  if it will work still? hmm

Seroquel is not antihistamine..?  Took 3/4 of 25 mg and does make you sleep but then you are totally out of it.  hmmm.  Maybe is better to stay on benzo  if it will work still? hmm

Yes, low-dose Seroquel is an antihistamine.

Is a 13 % cut too much. Thats what i done and suffering. Did anyone else

Sorry, I'm not tapering now, but when I did it was painful. I think you should be careful with tapering it. Slow, symptoms-based taper. If you cut recently (in the past week or so), you could try reinstating and see if that solves it. If it does, wait a month and try again with a much smaller cut is how I'd do it.