Open Group  ·  68 members

Music Lovers

I AM Rockfan, therefore I am... a rock fan: You knew I was going to do this...

[ro...]

I read up on it yesterday, and then realized that this is the original and that the Bananarama version was just a cover. Learn something new every day. It wasn't that long ago that I discovered that Hanging By the Telephone was actually The Nerves track, and that the Blondie version was just a cover, either.  :)

My brain is so fuzzy, but I barely recall that some of this was called mod-rock. I remember listening to some 90's indie rock bands that were drawing heavily from these kinds of sounds.

Actually, even today, there are still bands that I love that bring some kind of a modernized version of that. I mean the influences are definitely heard....

Hah - mazel tov on the first one.

Next week seeing this fellow if I can function.  Sadly, the guitarist died 2 weeks ago. 

Well, I was an optimistic kid growing up  ;). I remembered Bananarama "Cruel Summer" on the radio, and I've always heard it as "Blue Summer" for some reason. Maybe it just sounded more romantic/blue to my ears, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick and Minstrel in the Gallery. 

I remember when the Thick as a Brick album came out in the 70's with the big newspaper layout.

Blue Oyster Cult-Secret Treaties

Collective Soul-Hints, Allegations and Things Left Unsaid

Why doesn't anyone mention Pearl Jam?  I like Eddy Vedder.

I didn't know that actually. I've never seen the movie though. I've read Krakauer's book "Into the Wild" after I read "Into Thin Air". They were both really good reads.

What is Into Thin Air? 

My all-time favorite southern rock band is The Outlaws.  Their Greatest Hits album is fantastic.  A perfect greatest hits album; the songs follow each other very smoothly.  They were a great band and played together so well.  Wish I'd seen them in concert.  Their other album, Lady in Waiting is good too.

"Into Thin Air" was a book written by Jon Krakauer. The same guy who wrote the book Into the Wild. I am not sure if "Into the wild" movie was based on his book, or on the accounts of other people or both, but I know that Jon actually went to Alaska multiple times, and saw that abandoned bus and interviewed a lot of people about Christopher McCandless. He originally wrote an article, which eventually became the book.

But "Into Thin Air" is a book about Jon's own autobiographical experience when he climbed Mt. Everest during that fateful 1996 year where  a handful of people lost their lives due to many different factors (extremely brutal weather and human factors). It was a very controversial book, because everyone had a slightly different account of what actually happened, lots of blame going around, etc. I believe Krakauer still has a PTSD experience from it, mostly because of survivor's guilt, as he escaped physically unscathed, while a dozen people lot their lives. I am not sure I'd recommend reading the book in benzo withdrawal. If you want to, sure, but I found it a difficult read even when I was at my healthiest, to tell you the truth. It was a very compelling read that it was not just about climbing, but complexities of human nature, decision making in extreme conditions.

The whole book was controversial because the author pondered the ethics of taking willing but relatively inexperienced climbers to a journey that was far beyond their physical and technical abilities. Essentially, the inexperienced climbers would pay a hefty sum to the tour guides/climbing experts to take them to the highest summit. But the thing is that a guide can only do so much when dealing with inexperienced people. A couple of guides lost their lives on that climb and some of their paying clients did, which created a lot of blame and criticism. Krakauer got a lot of flack for going straight back to his tent after summiting, but Krakauer himself was an average climber at best, and probably not well suited for rescue missions due to his own lack of experience.

It was a very compelling, yet a very tough read

Chris McCandless's family and friends were in a PBS documentary called Back Into the Wild which recapped his journey and final death. 

• 3 weeks later...
    IRON BUTTERFLY - IN A GADDA DA VIDA - 1968 (ORIGINAL FULL VERSION) 

Nick Cave - The Ship Song

YES - GOOD TASTE LF--- that is one of my fave Nick Cave songs -- saw him sing it in NYC 20 years ago?  Could it be that old?  Also loved this one and The Weeping Song.

DId you catch him do a cameo in that movie about Jesse James?