Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Open Group  ·  70 members

Music Lovers

I AM Rockfan, therefore I am... a rock fan: You knew I was going to do this...

[ro...]

Joni Mitchell as a genius using alter chords, like a sus chord. She did it w/o even thinking about it. I recall that Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan were amazed at her ability to do several in a row.

Hi all!

Can I play?

Anyone ever hear Judee Sill? She made the first Asylum LP released. One of my most cherished of lost artists.

The Kiss:

Nice pick. Never heard of her. I don't have to post anything, you guys are filling it up with some good stuff. Non Top-40 and B sides are always best. :thumbsup:

Hi all!

Can I play?

Anyone ever hear Judee Sill? She made the first Asylum LP released. One of my most cherished of lost artists.

The Kiss:

Never heard of her. Beautiful song, though. Thanks. It reminded me a little of a song that was released some 25 years later. Who knows, maybe her music was influential to this band.

Hey Free,

Yes, good tune. Judee Sill has a really interesting and tragic story. You could google it. Warren Zevon covered "jesus was a crossmaker" and the Turtles did "Lady-o" She used to open for crosby and nash but she hated opening slots, like Nick Drake. She died young. I'll post one more, and say that these songs have been the greatest inspiration to me in the darkest moments.

Joni Mitchell as a genius using alter chords, like a sus chord. She did it w/o even thinking about it. I recall that Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan were amazed at her ability to do several in a row.

Genius with a capital G. Almost all Joni's (guitar) songs are in alternate tunings. She gets chords that you can't get under normal conditions. She calls them "Chords of inquiry"

Hi all!

Can I play?

The Kiss:

Never heard of her. Beautiful song, though. Thanks. It reminded me a little of a song that was released some 25 years later. Who knows, maybe her music was influential to this band.

Hey Free,

Yes, good tune. Judee Sill has a really interesting and tragic story. You could google it. Warren Zevon covered "jesus was a crossmaker" and the Turtles did "Lady-o" She used to open for crosby and nash but she hated opening slots, like Nick Drake. She died young. I'll post one more, and say that these songs have been the greatest inspiration to me in the darkest moments.

Funny you should mention Nick Drake because I've felt that quiet desperation, too , when I listened to the song you posted. I thought of Karen Carpenter's "Superstar" for some reason when I listened to Judee Sill for the 1st time....

Free: Glad you enjoyed it. I was listening to her when I had this horrible discontinuation- DR/DP reaction (w/ TMJ) after stopping remeron. That's when I first got a benzo and the rest is history. But I'll never forget the feeling of those songs. Silver lining I guess.

I vaguely remember her so thanks for the links. I enjoyed them. I like good folks/rock singer. Too bad she came to a tragic end. :'(

Thus is one song I used to slam to at CBGB's in NY when I was a teen.

Blitzkrieg Bop . The Ramones.

Interesting.  Not surprisingly, Nick Drake figured highly in my teen and, not so ironically, tolerance years.  Poor soul, he was. 

I vaguely remember her so thanks for the links. I enjoyed them. I like good folks/rock singer. Too bad she came to a tragic end. :'(

Thus is one song I used to slam to at CBGB's in NY when I was a teen.

Blitzkrieg Bop . The Ramones.

Lately, I've gotten into listening to their "I believe in miracles" song

https://youtu.be/GHbNxzi2vvQ

Pearl Jam does a nice cover of it, too:

WBB: Pretty cool. I guess they caught him off guard.

LF  I like that song too. I remember it well. Speaking of which:

i wanna be sedated :laugh: Ramones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBN1CkyRzmE

I wish someone had videotaped one of Nick Drakes shows. Too bad video cameras were the size of a cow back then. And they cost more than a cow too....

WBB: Pretty cool. I guess they caught him off guard.

LF  I like that song too. I remember it well. Speaking of which:

i wanna be sedated :laugh: Ramones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBN1CkyRzmE

I'm from Jersey. I must have seen the Ramones 100 times. They were great.  My fave for recovery.  (RIP Joey) 

Here ya go:  Man, they were cute, too.  I feel like reaching for something mood altering when I hear this stuff, though.  That impulse never leaves I guess.