Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Doodle Dog,  I'm so sorry you had to go through that. How frightening. Damn benzos :tickedoff: I hope you are doing better today :)  It stinks, never knowing what the day is going to be like, what W/D symptom will we deal with today? I know I have been needing to pull some beets to can pickled beets, and for three days now I have been too fatigued, am aiming for today now. Even though you aren't cutting at the moment, you are probally dealing with some tolerance W/D. Anyway, have a good day, Rose

Hi Rose,

Thanks so much.  Isn't that the truth that when cutting one does not know how they will feel from one day to the next.

Yes, I wasn't tolerating the liquid too well and went back on my pills.  I felt better for a couple of days then the tolerance thing started happening.

Today I still had lots of anxiety but the shortness of breath thing went away, so I was able to be productive.

Take care,

doodle dog

Hi doodle, Are you feeling better today I hope? wish you the best!

Hello Rose,

Thanks for asking.  I am doing better.  I have been out of town for a couple of days to attend a memorial service; it, of course, was very sad but also very challenging but I survived.

Being at tolerance on my ativan is yucky, so I guess it is time to start the cross over to valium.

How are you doing?

Take care,

doodle dog

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU SG.    So, .25mL x 14 days = 3.5% and if I keep cutting .25mL per day, by day 28 I would be at 7%. RIGHT?    To keep it at 5% and not over tax my math deficient brain.... how do I determine daily cuts? I have the graduated cylinder and the 1ml syringes, and I still get nervous about whether I am measuring "to the exact line on the cylinder".  TY!  Shaani

What is your dose and how are you mixing the liquid?

Hello all! I am a high dose long term user of klonopin. Since I got to 4mg I have been having a much harder time tapering. I'm currently at 3.206mg and I just cut 5% and it did not go as well as I hoped. I'm going to reevaluate in 10 days. I was wondering if there were people who are or have micro tapered at my dose? I notice so far I have really only seen it under 1mg. I am thinking about MT instead of cut and hold since I have issues even with lower cuts. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I just found BB in June and started using a scale. Before that I was just using a pill cutter. Thank you!

XO Maya

I think you are making a good decision by switching to MT now.  I strongly agree it will help you.  What pill sizes do you have and is it a .001g scale?

THANK YOU SG.    So, .25mL x 14 days = 3.5% and if I keep cutting .25mL per day, by day 28 I would be at 7%. RIGHT?    To keep it at 5% and not over tax my math deficient brain.... how do I determine daily cuts? I have the graduated cylinder and the 1ml syringes, and I still get nervous about whether I am measuring "to the exact line on the cylinder".  TY!  Shaani

For now,  full dose. .5mg am and .5mg pm.  Just started PG instead of alcohol to see how it goes. 1mL PG and 99mL water. Then split into 2 doses. 

[36...]

Hello MT friends,

Update.

My attempt to cross over to V failed. My liver enzymes & bilirubin escalated requiring I try a different approach.

I'm back now, to cutting X, 3% , every 14 days. Although doable, I am suffering far too many symptoms this way. Particularity, 3-5 days post cut.

I will meet with Pdoc in two weeks to try and persuade trying liquid alprazolam, again, or daily, dry reductions. My sense is that he will not want to prescribe liquid. He has not been in favour of this method.

SG or Builder,

If daily dry cutting, how many mgs per day reduction would be a good place to start? I am currently at 0.5939 total per day. Each capsule is 0.09899 mg. I'm dosing 6 times per day.

Hope everyone is moving along smoothly. 

Marija🌺

For now,  full dose. .5mg am and .5mg pm.  Just started PG instead of alcohol to see how it goes. 1mL PG and 99mL water. Then split into 2 doses.

That's enough PG to dissolve the 1mg K, but you may want to increase it anyway just to have more liquid volume.  1ml is an awfully small amount of liquid.

Okay so 1mg in 100ml liquid so a .01mg/ml strength.  A .25ml cut is a .0025mg cut.  30 days in a month so .075mg/month, which is 7.5%/month.  That's reasonable.  5%/month would be a daily cut of .0016mg (.16ml).  You could round that to .0015mg (.15ml) to keep it simple.

Really, either choice is okay.  Neither is reckless.  5% is kind of "super careful" while 7.5% is "careful." :laugh:  I tend to error on the cautious side and am usually guilty of being too cautious.  I don't think either cut will get you in trouble.  In all likelihood at your dose you will be able to taper faster than this for a while, but a minority need to go very slow so it is best to begin slow and inch up.

Hello MT friends,

Update.

My attempt to cross over to V failed. My liver enzymes & bilirubin escalated requiring I try a different approach.

I'm back now, to cutting X, 3% , every 14 days. Although doable, I am suffering far too many symptoms this way. Particularity, 3-5 days post cut.

I will meet with Pdoc in two weeks to try and persuade trying liquid alprazolam, again, or daily, dry reductions. My sense is that he will not want to prescribe liquid. He has not been in favour of this method.

SG or Builder,

If daily dry cutting, how many mgs per day reduction would be a good place to start? I am currently at 0.5939 total per day. Each capsule is 0.09899 mg. I'm dosing 6 times per day.

Marija🌺

Your current rate seems fine to me so I think you should just switch to daily cutting, but keep your current rate.  You are at .5939mg so 3%/14 days is .0013mg/day.  Over six doses is .0002mg off of each dose each day. :o  I'm guessing this will be hard to do with capsules so another way is to just rotate the cut through your six doses.

[36...]

Hello MT friends,

Update.

SG or Builder,

Marija🌺

Your current rate seems fine to me so I think you should just switch to daily cutting, but keep your current rate.  You are at .5939mg so 3%/14 days is .0013mg/day.  Over six doses is .0002mg off of each dose each day. :o  I'm guessing this will be hard to do with capsules so another way is to just rotate the cut through your six doses.

Thanks, SG. I hope this improves my symptoms with daily cuts. So frustrating 😡.

Marija.

Hello all! I am a high dose long term user of klonopin. Since I got to 4mg I have been having a much harder time tapering. I'm currently at 3.206mg and I just cut 5% and it did not go as well as I hoped. I'm going to reevaluate in 10 days. I was wondering if there were people who are or have micro tapered at my dose? I notice so far I have really only seen it under 1mg. I am thinking about MT instead of cut and hold since I have issues even with lower cuts. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I just found BB in June and started using a scale. Before that I was just using a pill cutter. Thank you!

XO Maya

I think you are making a good decision by switching to MT now.  I strongly agree it will help you.  What pill sizes do you have and is it a .001g scale?

I wasn't sure if it was a good idea because I still am at a higher dose. I'm glad to hear that it will help. I have 1mg pills and .5mg pills. I can use whatever is easier and makes the most sense. I do have  .001g scale. I plan to start cutting in a week. I'm still figuring how micro tapering works.

Thank you!

XO Maya

Thanks to Challis99 and SG57 I have found my way to starting a water/alcohol titration plan. My aim is to start this program tonight.

SG57 helped me with the math to see that my daily dose of K is .67mg (I had been using 2mg as needed - 10 nights per month). I've always taken my K dose in one gulp at night for insomnia.

I currently have my K pills cut down to .5 mg and took one last night - but would like a more accurate dose, closer to .67 - or I'm considering rounding up to .7 since I've been through the ringer with insomnia over the last 2 weeks. Additionally the .7 dose would be an easier starting number.

I've got a baby bottle with a 100ml measurement on it and will get 10ml plastic syringes from the pharmacy today for dosing.

Am I understanding this correctly:

Dissolve 1mg K in 3ml alcohol (gin or vodka ok? or rubbing alcohol? what brand is 150 proof?)

After dissolved fill remaining 97ml with lukewarm water

To dispense: Shake vigorously

Plunge syringe in solution and pull up to .67 (or .7 if rounding up) and that would be my nightly dose (??)

I'd like to follow a plan of 10% cuts every 2 weeks as a general guide, but will let my symptoms dictate the actual timing of the wean.

And because my brain is a fog mess, to be clear that would mean (if I start at .7) I would simply decrease to .6ml, .5ml etc. every 2 weeks?

Sorry if I'm flaky, been up since 3:30am - I'm sure you all understand!

Many thanks for feedback.

XO Maya

I wasn't sure if it was a good idea because I still am at a higher dose. I'm glad to hear that it will help. I have 1mg pills and .5mg pills. I can use whatever is easier and makes the most sense. I do have  .001g scale. I plan to start cutting in a week. I'm still figuring how micro tapering works.

Thank you!

XO Maya

It's a great idea!  I don't know where that comes from that people think it is only a low-dose thing, but a lot of people have that impression.

The thing about the scale method is the smallest cut you can make with a .5mg pill is not really small enough for a daily taper, but since you are at such a high dose I think it will be, at least for a while.  The 1mg pills, not surprisingly, make cuts that are twice as big since they have double the K in the same size pill so they are really not good for the scale method.  So I would use them up dosing and try to get all .5mg pills prescribed.

Your dose is 3.206mg.  If we set you off on a course for 5% a month that would be .160mg/30 days=.005mg/day.  That is a safe place to begin.

Do you have an average weight for your .5mg pills yet?

Thanks to Challis99 and SG57 I have found my way to starting a water/alcohol titration plan. My aim is to start this program tonight.

SG57 helped me with the math to see that my daily dose of K is .67mg (I had been using 2mg as needed - 10 nights per month). I've always taken my K dose in one gulp at night for insomnia.

I currently have my K pills cut down to .5 mg and took one last night - but would like a more accurate dose, closer to .67 - or I'm considering rounding up to .7 since I've been through the ringer with insomnia over the last 2 weeks. Additionally the .7 dose would be an easier starting number.

I've got a baby bottle with a 100ml measurement on it and will get 10ml plastic syringes from the pharmacy today for dosing.

Am I understanding this correctly:

Dissolve 1mg K in 3ml alcohol (gin or vodka ok? or rubbing alcohol? what brand is 150 proof?)

After dissolved fill remaining 97ml with lukewarm water

To dispense: Shake vigorously

Plunge syringe in solution and pull up to .67 (or .7 if rounding up) and that would be my nightly dose (??)

I'd like to follow a plan of 10% cuts every 2 weeks as a general guide, but will let my symptoms dictate the actual timing of the wean.

And because my brain is a fog mess, to be clear that would mean (if I start at .7) I would simply decrease to .6ml, .5ml etc. every 2 weeks?

Sorry if I'm flaky, been up since 3:30am - I'm sure you all understand!

Many thanks for feedback.

I get the feeling you are getting a bit ahead of yourself here.  The first thing you need to do is find the right daily dose.  .67mg may not be it.  It may take some time to determine the right dose.

With 1mg K in 100ml liquid, to get a .7mg dose drink 70ml.

10% every two weeks is ambitious and I really wouldn't recommend taking all in one swipe.  You'll feel better if you break it into a bunch of smaller cuts.

But first things first, you need to find the right dose and get stable on it.

Mercy! Right now I think I'll focus on getting through the next hour. I'll check into photobucket and Imagelink when my brain is screwed on a little better. Well, that may be a while...

Thanks!

Jeff

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too good, Jeff. Have you met with that new psychiatrist yet? I keep wondering about that but can't remember when the date is.

Gard

Howdy Gardener. No, I don't meet with that psych. until September 16th. That's cutting it super close since I'll almost be out of med. If he doesn't give me a script for some reason, then I'll be up a nasty smelling creek. It freaks me out if you really want to know. Thanks for the concern.

I'll be out of town a couple days this week with no computer access; only my phone, and I don't think I can get on this site with my phone. Never tried.

Anyway, keep plowing forward and feel gooder!!

Jeff

Hi, I would like to do the water/vodka titration method, I have all the equipment to get started. My concern is that this is an extremely slow process and I'm currently suffering from all type of symptoms due to tolerance. I have hand tremors wich make pill cutting impossible.  Is the water tritation method advisable for someone in my situation?

Hi Lindana, Welcome to the group. Basically, you dissolve your med in a small amount of at least 80 proof alcohol then mix with water. Then divide your daily doses evenly. If you look at Sharkeys, Builders, Annes, SG's threads you can see how they did it. Or they will come on and answer your questions.

We all are in tolerance withdrawal while tapering and even before tapering. It is just a fact that is inevitable. I have taken Xanax for 14+ years and spent years in tolerance W/D and didn't know it. I can truly say with this MT method and taking 3 evenly spaced doses my tolerance W/D is so much easier on me. I am down to 0.40mg/24hrs using a liquid MT with propelyne glycol. I think you may have to accept that it is going to take some time. If you go too fast you will suffer for it as many here can vouch. You have to go slow enough for your brain and nervous system to heal in the process. I would like to be off right now this instant but I have learned the hard way to go slow. You could go fast, but chances are very great that you will suffer for weeks if not months after you are done. You could experience PAWS, Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. That is a risk of going too fast with a taper. Anyway, good luck to you :), Rose

.40mg!? Wow, you're rockin' it, Rose!! Congrats, and keep the faith.

Jeff

Thanks SG57, understand about getting ahead of myself - just excited at prospect of weaning. I'll start with the .7mg and see how I feel and adjust accordingly. Will take it one day at a time as far as weaning schedule goes, slow and steady wins the race. I didn't have voldka in house so am using Gin. Seems almost dissolved. Wondering if I can save leftover in fridge - and add other leftovers to it, till I arrive at a new dose. Hate to waste the K, is that a no no?

XO Maya

Thank you!

XO Maya

It's a great idea!  I don't know where that comes from that people think it is only a low-dose thing, but a lot of people have that impression.

The thing about the scale method is the smallest cut you can make with a .5mg pill is not really small enough for a daily taper, but since you are at such a high dose I think it will be, at least for a while.  The 1mg pills, not surprisingly, make cuts that are twice as big since they have double the K in the same size pill so they are really not good for the scale method.  So I would use them up dosing and try to get all .5mg pills prescribed.

Your dose is 3.206mg.  If we set you off on a course for 5% a month that would be .160mg/30 days=.005mg/day.  That is a safe place to begin.

I'm so glad it's a good idea! I really feel like it would be a lot less of a shock to my system. I haven't been on this site long. I definitely got that impression. Also I got the impression that I would be able to cut more with the cut and hold method than micro tapering at my dose.

I have a lot of .5mg pill right now. Also I know my p/doc would give me all .5mg pills.

The average weight of my .5mg pills is .169g.

Thank you for helping me!

XO Maya

Hi Maya, welcome here. I've only been here a few months and, like you, I saw that most people were at "low" doses. As everyone else knows, I've been on Klonopin for nearly 22 years now. Ridiculous, I know, but doctors know what they're doing, right? Joking, of course. My first 10 years or so I was on 3mg/day. The following 11+ years they had me on 5mg/day and even 8 at one point. Plus, they threw in tons of other drugs to "help" with all the trash that the benzo was putting me through. That's a lot of poison going through the body. It has messed up my thyroid, adrenal function...all kinds of things. I then started researching things on my own, and that's when I learned how horrible benzos are. I still haven't gotten over the shock of it. I did the cut and hold thing from 5mg down to 3mg. That was an ungodly nightmare that I'll remember even when I'm dead. Those long years at the massive doses really threw my body into a place where I'm beyond super sensitive to any med and its side effects. I'm talking even Ibuprofen! That sensitivity has made this taper really a challenge. I ran across the Ashton Manual and BenzoBuddies by mistake (or luck) and started the micro taper from right around 3mg. I thank God for the micro taper. For me, I just couldn't do the dry cut method, but that's just due to my sensitivity. I dissolve my mg tablet in 3ml of 100 proof Vodka, poor in 97ml of water, then make my dose. I'm having to go really slow and hold at points, but it's a ton better than the cut and hold thing. I'm at about 2.2mg today and cutting at about .005mg/day. I started at .0025mg day and then went to .005. That's all I can do. I tried .0075 and .01mg, but not happenin'. It was depressing at how long this will take me to get off this stuff, but it seems that most people aren't as "sensitive" as me when it comes to body physiology, so you'll more than likely go zinging past me. I hope you do!! I just try to take it one day at a time and not fret over things. At least I'm going in the right direction this time! Everybody here will help you and encourage you. I think that the psychological part is so important. If we nail that, then we're good.

Gotta run, but we'll be in touch. You're in the right place!!!

Jeff

Thanks SG57, understand about getting ahead of myself - just excited at prospect of weaning. I'll start with the .7mg and see how I feel and adjust accordingly. Will take it one day at a time as far as weaning schedule goes, slow and steady wins the race. I didn't have voldka in house so am using Gin. Seems almost dissolved. Wondering if I can save leftover in fridge - and add other leftovers to it, till I arrive at a new dose. Hate to waste the K, is that a no no?

I think it would be okay to keep the liquid for several days.  This does not seem to be a problem from what I can see watching others here.  But we do this at home and do not have any shelf life quality checks or things of that nature so I think it is best to keep the solution pretty fresh.  A few days.  I've never actually used that method so this is just my best judgement.  Maybe others will chime in with their experience.

What is the proof of your gin?

I'm so glad it's a good idea! I really feel like it would be a lot less of a shock to my system. I haven't been on this site long. I definitely got that impression. Also I got the impression that I would be able to cut more with the cut and hold method than micro tapering at my dose.

I have a lot of .5mg pill right now. Also I know my p/doc would give me all .5mg pills.

The average weight of my .5mg pills is .169g.

Thank you for helping me!

You're welcome. :)

Yeah, those are two common myths: that somehow MT is not for higher doses and that MT is slower.  Both are false.  Taper rate is about how quickly the body adapts back to normal function and has little to do with how you taper, although IMO MT is more efficient with time.

It's very good that you can use .5mg pills.  They will be twice as accurate as the 1mg and you'll need that accuracy as you go lower.

So .5mg/169mg=.003mg for each .001g on the scale.  Typical .5mg pills.

I think it would be okay to keep the liquid for several days.  This does not seem to be a problem from what I can see watching others here.  But we do this at home and do not have any shelf life quality checks or things of that nature so I think it is best to keep the solution pretty fresh.  A few days.  I've never actually used that method so this is just my best judgement.  Maybe others will chime in with their experience.

Gin is 80proof, 40% alcohol by volume, Seagrams -  :)

Gin is 80proof, 40% alcohol by volume, Seagrams -  :)

Gin - that's a new one.  Most people use either vodka or grain alcohol, but it should be fine.  Your proof is 80 which is the low end of acceptable.  I like to see it much higher, but 80 seems to work and is actually the most commonly used proof here.

Are you planning to dissolve 1mg?  If so I'd probably double up on the amount of alcohol used if it is only 80 proof.

Hi Rose,

How are you preparing your MT with propelyne glycol?  Or, is it compounded?

How much are you reducing per day?

Thanks,

Marija

Hi Marija,

I prepare it the same way it would be done with alcohol. Right now I have 1mg Xanax sitting in 2ml of PG. I split the pill in half and let it sit over night. Sometimes I take the tip of a steak knife and crush the little pieces to help dissolve it faster. I use a small container like one of those tiny jelly sample jars and when it's time to prepare a batch I measure out the water and use it to rinse the jelly jar out into my bigger jar. I store it in the cupboard. Hope that helps, have a good day, 8) Rose

Things I like about PG...

- it is not a mixture with water like alcohol.  It is always straight PG and will always give the same high solubility, unlike alcohol which has lower solubility at lower proofs.

- unlike alcohol, there is no worry that PG will evaporate if you leave it uncovered for a long time.

Hi, I would like to do the water/vodka titration method, I have all the equipment to get started. My concern is that this is an extremely slow process and I'm currently suffering from all type of symptoms due to tolerance. I have hand tremors wich make pill cutting impossible.  Is the water tritation method advisable for someone in my situation?

Hi Lindana, Welcome to the group. Basically, you dissolve your med in a small amount of at least 80 proof alcohol then mix with water. Then divide your daily doses evenly. If you look at Sharkeys, Builders, Annes, SG's threads you can see how they did it. Or they will come on and answer your questions.

We all are in tolerance withdrawal while tapering and even before tapering. It is just a fact that is inevitable. I have taken Xanax for 14+ years and spent years in tolerance W/D and didn't know it. I can truly say with this MT method and taking 3 evenly spaced doses my tolerance W/D is so much easier on me. I am down to 0.40mg/24hrs using a liquid MT with propelyne glycol. I think you may have to accept that it is going to take some time. If you go too fast you will suffer for it as many here can vouch. You have to go slow enough for your brain and nervous system to heal in the process. I would like to be off right now this instant but I have learned the hard way to go slow. You could go fast, but chances are very great that you will suffer for weeks if not months after you are done. You could experience PAWS, Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. That is a risk of going too fast with a taper. Anyway, good luck to you :), Rose

Hi Rose,

How are you preparing your MT with propelyne glycol?  Or, is it compounded?

How much are you reducing per day?

Thanks,

Marija

Hi Marija

I take 1mg Xanax and 2ml PG and put them into one of those tiny jelly sample jars to dissolve overnight. Sometimes I take the tip of a steak knife and crush the little chunks to help dissolve faster. There is some blue filler/binding powder left that doesn't dissolve. Not to worry though. Then I measure out the water, 398ml and use it to rinse out the jelly jar several times into my bigger jar. I store it in my cupboard. It makes almost two days worth of doses.

As far as micro tapering goes, I, like Jeff and many others am super sensitive to medication reduction because of many, many years of being in tolerance withdrawal. I would like to be able to cut by .0025 a day but I can't. I have to take 2-3 days to stabilize because I get a slew of W/D sx's (symptoms). But that doesn't mean you will. Either way, C+H, dry cut MT, or MT with liquid it would be the same for me with W/D sx's. But the sx's are milder with liquid MT and I have more control over measuring. Also it's a lot less hassle, I just draw up my dose with a 60ml syringe and drink it down three times a day. No refrigeration either. When I have to go somewhere, like a family reunion last weekend, I measure out my dose into a water bottle (no extra water) and bring it with me. There are other ways of taking it with you as Gardener99 has given Amazon links to small containers etc. Hope this helps, onward and upward! have a good day, 8), Rose

9to5er,

Hello, I don't believe you are supposed to store it in the fridge, maybe Builder or others can chime in? If you dissolve your med and use a larger amount of water to mix the alcohol in (such as 398ml (2ml alcohol = 400ml) ) you will have a few doses to measure out. You will have to do the math, anyway, you need not throw any away. If I have less than one dose left in my jar, I mix a new batch and add to it. The ratio of medication to liquid is the same- it is the dose amount I draw up with the syringe that changes, less and less as I MT down.  :) Rose