Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

I am planning to start micro tapering on Sunday and I need help! I am just going to start by dry cutting and try liquid later on. I need to know exactly what to do. I want to cut 5% every 10 to 14 days for now. I have both 1mg pills and .5mg pills. The average weight of the 1mg pills is 174g and the average weight for the .5mg pills is 169g. I have enough .5mg pills to just use them because it seems it's better to use those for MT. I dose four times a day:

10-11am .831mg

3pm .875mg

8pm 1mg

12am .5mg

I want to cut from my 3pm and 8pm doses. I could cut a little from my first dose also. I can't cut from my .5mg dose or my sleep will most likely be affected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please be patient with my tired cog fog brain. Thank you!

XO Maya

Maya, Your dose is 3.206mg.  To keep things simple I'll use 5.6% a month instead of 5% as a starting point.  You would cut by a total of .006mg per day.  If the .5mg/.169g pill is used that is .002g a day (.003mg x2).  If the 1mg pill were used it would be .001g a day (.0057mg...not quite exactly the same but close enough).

I'd leave the 12am dose alone for a long time.  In fact, I'd work exclusively on the 8pm dose until it gets down near the 10am and 3pm doses.

So for now it works out very simply.  Cut .006mg off your 8pm dose until it gets near .850mg or so.  This will take about a month.  If that pill is 1mg then that is .001g per day from the 8pm dose.  If you use .5mg pills for that it is .002g per day.

What I just did was for 5.6% a month (5.6% made the math simple).  If you want to do 5% every two weeks just double it, but I would not recommend beginning there as it may be too fast and you want to have immediate success to gain confidence in MT.

I definitely plan to leave the 12am dose alone for a long time! What I had been hoping to do was cut out the dose completely, but that will not be happening. When I started cutting it down it really messed up my sleep. I have to dose 4 times unfortunately. I will start cutting the 8pm dose first.

I will do as you recommend and do 5.6% the first month. Do you think I should cut with .5mg pills? If I do I just weigh two on the scale? Sorry, my cog fog has been bad lately.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your help! You were the one who gave me the confidence that I could MT at my dose. I really feel it will be much better for me.

XO Maya :smitten:

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Maya, Your dose is 3.206mg.  To keep things simple I'll use 5.6% a month instead of 5% as a starting point.  You would cut by a total of .006mg per day.  If the .5mg/.169g pill is used that is .002g a day (.003mg x2).  If the 1mg pill were used it would be .001g a day (.0057mg...not quite exactly the same but close enough).

I'd leave the 12am dose alone for a long time.  In fact, I'd work exclusively on the 8pm dose until it gets down near the 10am and 3pm doses.

So for now it works out very simply.  Cut .006mg off your 8pm dose until it gets near .850mg or so.  This will take about a month.  If that pill is 1mg then that is .001g per day from the 8pm dose.  If you use .5mg pills for that it is .002g per day.

What I just did was for 5.6% a month (5.6% made the math simple).  If you want to do 5% every two weeks just double it, but I would not recommend beginning there as it may be too fast and you want to have immediate success to gain confidence in MT.

I definitely plan to leave the 12am dose alone for a long time! What I had been hoping to do was cut out the dose completely, but that will not be happening. When I started cutting it down it really messed up my sleep. I have to dose 4 times unfortunately. I will start cutting the 8pm dose first.

I will do as you recommend and do 5.6% the first month. Do you think I should cut with .5mg pills? If I do I just weigh two on the scale? Sorry, my cog fog has been bad lately.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your help! You were the one who gave me the confidence that I could MT at my dose. I really feel it will be much better for me.

Smaller dose pills are always better as the scale method always struggles with accuracy and the smaller the pill dose the more accurate the cut.  But the 1mg should work, especially at your dose.

I don't know what your pill mix is, but why not just even out your dose right now?  Not sure why I did not think of this earlier.  Make them all .802mg.  This might help sleep more?  And try to space them six hours apart, if possible.  Then just rotate your .006mg cut between them bringing them all down together.

Smaller dose pills are always better as the scale method always struggles with accuracy and the smaller the pill dose the more accurate the cut.  But the 1mg should work, especially at your dose.

I don't know what your pill mix is, but why not just even out your dose right now?  Not sure why I did not think of this earlier.  Make them all .802mg.  This might help sleep more?  And try to space them six hours apart, if possible.  Then just rotate your .006mg cut between them bringing them all down together.

I plan to try liquid later on as it is more accurate. Right now I just want to get the hang of MT. I have plenty of 1mg or .5mg pills. If you think 1mg I will use that.

I don't know what you mean by pill mix? That makes sense to even out my doses. I am not sure how to space them 6 hrs apart. I do get interdose withdrawals. I know that isn't common with klonopin, but I metabolize the meds faster than most.

I just started using the scale with my last cut on the 7th. Before I just cut my pills in halves or quarters. That is the only way I knew how to taper. I'm still getting used to the mg to grams thing. I feel so dumb!

So I take .144g Of a 1mg pill in the am

Then .152g of a 1mg at 3pm

A whole 1mg pill at 8pm

A whole .5mg pill at 12am

I would just shave either .001g of a 1mg pill or .002 off a .5mg pill

How much grams would be .802mg be? Sorry, if I am being confused. Thanks for your patience!

I plan to try liquid later on as it is more accurate. Right now I just want to get the hang of MT. I have plenty of 1mg or .5mg pills. If you think 1mg I will use that.

I don't know what you mean by pill mix? That makes sense to even out my doses. I am not sure how to space them 6 hrs apart. I do get interdose withdrawals. I know that isn't common with klonopin, but I metabolize the meds faster than most.

I just started using the scale with my last cut on the 7th. Before I just cut my pills in halves or quarters. That is the only way I knew how to taper. I'm still getting used to the mg to grams thing. I feel so dumb!

A whole 1mg pill at 8pm

How much grams would be .802mg be? Sorry, if I am being confused. Thanks for your patience!

What I would do is immediately upon waking take the AM dose then take a dose every six hours after that and take the last one right before bed.  So for example, if you wake at 6am dose 6am, noon, 6pm, midnight.  If you wake at 7am dose 7am, 1pm, 7pm, 1am.  If you go to bed at midnight take the 1am dose at midnight.

Your dose is 3.206mg/4=.802mg each.

Your 1mg pills are 1mg/174mg=.0057mg per .001g

Your .5mg pills are .5mg/169mg=.003mg per .001g

So for .802mg doses using 1mg pills make the total weight be .143g.  If you use .5mg pills make the total weight .271g.

I know about feeling dumb.  I used to not be able to remember what I was thinking five seconds ago.  My brain was fried and still is not totally right, but definitely getting there.

I am doing a daily liquid taper from lorazepam. During my first taper, I cut no more than 10% of the dose every 2 weeks. I continued this way all the way down to about 0.04 mg/day.  It worked well for me, and I plan on following the same procedure with this current taper. Once I got to the very low dosages, I would feel it if I made a mistake and cut more than 10%/2weeks. Once I got to very low doses, around 0.1 mg/day I would sometimes forget to take one or two of my daily doses,  and I did not experience any symptoms whatsoever. I knew at that point it was probably safe to jump.  I went down to about 0.04 mg just to be sure. According to my schedule it will take me about 2 more months to get to 0.25 mg/day and then another 7 or 8 months to get down to where I can jump.  If things go as well as they did the first time, it will be well worth the extra time.

Good to hear from you, Anne. And I'm, glad things are going so well! :clap:

OK, gurus, I am using a 10% dilution now. I am going to make a 5% dilution next time instead, then refigure everything. My current .02 cut will become a .04 cut, right? And then I can try a .06 cut and see if that's OK. (That would have been the .03 I couldn't do with the 10% dilution due to the syringe markings being at .02 intervals.)

Did that make sense? My son says yes. My daughter says she has a headache, ask the math gurus. My benzo brains says it hopes so.

Gard

A whole 1mg pill at 8pm

What I would do is immediately upon waking take the AM dose then take a dose every six hours after that and take the last one right before bed.  So for example, if you wake at 6am dose 6am, noon, 6pm, midnight.  If you wake at 7am dose 7am, 1pm, 7pm, 1am.  If you go to bed at midnight take the 1am dose at midnight.

So for .802mg doses using 1mg pills make the total weight be .143g.  If you use .5mg pills make the total weight .271g.

I know about feeling dumb.  I used to not be able to remember what I was thinking five seconds ago.  My brain was fried and still is not totally right, but definitely getting there.

I never wake up that early unless I have to. Also if I can, I try to get 8 hrs sleep. I could just take it when I wake up and then take another dose 6 hrs later, another 6 hrs later, and then before bed. It doesn't matter that I don't take it at the same time each day? That makes sense it would be more evenly distributed.

I'm saving everything you are have written today. I see make all 4 doses equal. So I would go up on my last dose. That makes a lot of sense. I get it. I'm just still a little lost on how I would start and where I would cut each day, especially since I would be upping my last dose. If you don't mind could you give an example of how the first week would look like?

Thanks! It's been hard lately. I gave my landlord two checks dated for Sept. I forgot my password. It's was so embarrassing. Thank you again for helping me! I'm glad you no longer are like this!

OK, gurus, I am using a 10% dilution now. I am going to make a 5% dilution next time instead, then refigure everything. My current .02 cut will become a .04 cut, right? And then I can try a .06 cut and see if that's OK. (That would have been the .03 I couldn't do with the 10% dilution due to the syringe markings being at .02 intervals.)

Did that make sense? My son says yes. My daughter says she has a headache, ask the math gurus. My benzo brains says it hopes so.

Gard

I don't understand the ".06 cut" part, but yeah, if you make a 5% dilution instead of 10% that would mean 1ml=.05mg so to get the same dose you would need twice as much liquid.  A step in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Gard

I don't understand the ".06 cut" part, but yeah, if you make a 5% dilution instead of 10% that would mean 1ml=.05mg so to get the same dose you would need twice as much liquid.  A step in the right direction. :thumbsup:

I was cutting .02 and wanted to try .03, but couldn't because the smallest markings on the syringe is .02 (can't cut odd numbers, only even numbers). So if I double dilute, then I can use .06 instead of .03, as my cut, right? (I'm sure that was clear as mud! :wacko:)

I never wake up that early unless I have to. Also if I can, I try to get 8 hrs sleep. I could just take it when I wake up and then take another dose 6 hrs later, another 6 hrs later, and then before bed. It doesn't matter that I don't take it at the same time each day? That makes sense it would be more evenly distributed.

I'm saving everything you are have written today. I see make all 4 doses equal. So I would go up on my last dose. That makes a lot of sense. I get it. I'm just still a little lost on how I would start and where I would cut each day, especially since I would be upping my last dose. If you don't mind could you give an example of how the first week would look like?

Thanks! It's been hard lately. I gave my landlord two checks dated for Sept. I forgot my password. It's was so embarrassing. Thank you again for helping me! I'm glad you no longer are like this!

Great.  It sounds like you sleep well and it is probably more important to sleep than to dose on time.  I think a lot of the healing happens during those hours, so you may be better off not waking for a dose.  I would not worry about dose time too much.  Try to take them regularly, but if you are sleeping, keep sleeping.  Then resume the dose schedule.

I get the feeling you are really catching on.  Keep your blood levels even around the clock, then bring them down slowly.

If you use 1mg pills it looks like this...

Start: .141g/.141g/.141g/.141g

d1: .140/.141/.141/.141

d2: .140/.140/.141/.141

d3: .140/.140/.140/.141

d4: .140/.140/.140/.140

d5: .139/.140/.140/.140

... and so on.

For .5mg pills it looks like this (8 .5mg pills)...

Start: .271g/.271g/.271g/.271g

d1: .270/.271/.270/.271

d2: .270/.270/.270/.270

d3: .269/.270/.269/.270

d4: .269/.269/.269/.269

d5: .268/.269/.268/.269

... and so on.

With .5mg you have options as to which two pills to choose first, but I picked doses 1&3.  You would only file one pill, but weigh both to get the total weight of two pills correct for the dose.  All that matters is the total weight of the two pills.

I was cutting .02 and wanted to try .03, but couldn't because the smallest markings on the syringe is .02 (can't cut odd numbers, only even numbers). So if I double dilute, then I can use .06 instead of .03, as my cut, right? (I'm sure that was clear as mud! :wacko:)

Ah, now I get it.  Gotcha.  Yes, .06ml would become the same as your old .03ml cut.

Ah, now I get it.  Gotcha.  Yes, .06ml would become the same as your old .03ml cut.

:clap:

I am doing a daily liquid taper from lorazepam. During my first taper, I cut no more than 10% of the dose every 2 weeks. I continued this way all the way down to about 0.04 mg/day.  It worked well for me, and I plan on following the same procedure with this current taper. Once I got to the very low dosages, I would feel it if I made a mistake and cut more than 10%/2weeks. Once I got to very low doses, around 0.1 mg/day I would sometimes forget to take one or two of my daily doses,  and I did not experience any symptoms whatsoever. I knew at that point it was probably safe to jump.  I went down to about 0.04 mg just to be sure. According to my schedule it will take me about 2 more months to get to 0.25 mg/day and then another 7 or 8 months to get down to where I can jump.  If things go as well as they did the first time, it will be well worth the extra time.

Hi Gardner,

It has been a while. I have been busy preparing for our upcoming semester so even though I am on the computer I am mainly working. I saw your new schedule, and it looks good. I hope you are feeling better.

Have a great evening,

Anne

Maya - SG gave you all of the weights but I think he left out the hold - so looking at what he wrote on day 4 it should be the same as day 3 for your pills - then the next day you go down as he said - and every 3 days you put in a hold so your pill weight is the same as the day before.  If this works fine for you over 2-3 weeks and you have no symptoms or feel you can go faster you can then make your hold day on day 5 for example so you are going a little faster.  I am glad SG did all this math for you.  It isn't so hard once you get used to it.  One thing I would do is copy and paste  SG's  posts to you so you have them in a word document.  That way you can always look back to see what you are doing.  Also write down your pill weight of the pill you are going to use to cut - be it the .5 mg or the 1 mg pill - you will also want this number because you will use it to figure out how much klonopin you are on as you go down.  Good luck and welcome to micro tapering. 

Great.  It sounds like you sleep well and it is probably more important to sleep than to dose on time.  I think a lot of the healing happens during those hours, so you may be better off not waking for a dose.  I would not worry about dose time too much.  Try to take them regularly, but if you are sleeping, keep sleeping.  Then resume the dose schedule.

I get the feeling you are really catching on.  Keep your blood levels even around the clock, then bring them down slowly.

If you use 1mg pills it looks like this...

Start: .141g/.141g/.141g/.141g

d1: .140/.141/.141/.141

d2: .140/.140/.141/.141

d3: .140/.140/.140/.141

d4: .140/.140/.140/.140

d5: .139/.140/.140/.140

... and so on.

For .5mg pills it looks like this (8 .5mg pills)...

Start: .271g/.271g/.271g/.271g

d1: .270/.271/.270/.271

d2: .270/.270/.270/.270

d3: .269/.270/.269/.270

d4: .269/.269/.269/.269

d5: .268/.269/.268/.269

... and so on.

With .5mg you have options as to which two pills to choose first, but I picked doses 1&3.  You would only file one pill, but weigh both to get the total weight of two pills correct for the dose.  All that matters is the total weight of the two pills.

I usually sleep well now and that is really important to me. It's hard for me when I don't sleep enough. I already have fatigue from tolerance wd. Also lack of sleep definitely doesn't help the cog fog. Also if I wake up I am probably not going to be able to go back to sleep. i can try to dose every 6 hrs from my wake up dose.

I am definitely catching on! I do get kinda freaked out by getting scared I will mess up the grams and it will not equal the correct mg dose. That's me being paranoid. I wish I understood how to figure it out, I'm sure I will in time. Luckily, there are math gurus who are so helpful and don't have cog fog. Thank you so much for taking time to help me and figure out what my first week will look like! I'm sure I will probably have more ques again. I feel confident aboth starting Sunday!

XO Maya  :smitten:

Maya - SG gave you all of the weights but I think he left out the hold - so looking at what he wrote on day 4 it should be the same as day 3 for your pills - then the next day you go down as he said - and every 3 days you put in a hold so your pill weight is the same as the day before.  If this works fine for you over 2-3 weeks and you have no symptoms or feel you can go faster you can then make your hold day on day 5 for example so you are going a little faster.  I am glad SG did all this math for you.  It isn't so hard once you get used to it.  One thing I would do is copy and paste  SG's  posts to you so you have them in a word document.  That way you can always look back to see what you are doing.  Also write down your pill weight of the pill you are going to use to cut - be it the .5 mg or the 1 mg pill - you will also want this number because you will use it to figure out how much klonopin you are on as you go down.  Good luck and welcome to micro tapering. 

Kgirl,

Ok, thanks for telling me. I was thinking to hold every 7 days. I don't know why. I will hold every 3 for now. I'm hoping I can go faster with MT than I was with cut and hold. I have saved everything SG has posted to me. I hope I get used to it. I will definitely be sure to write everything down. I get nervous I'm going to mess up. Thank you! I really think MT will be easier on me once I get the hang of it. The cut and hold was a as shock to my system once I got to 4mg.

I hope everyone is having a good day!

Hi Gardner,

It has been a while. I have been busy preparing for our upcoming semester so even though I am on the computer I am mainly working. I saw your new schedule, and it looks good. I hope you are feeling better.

Have a great evening,

Anne

Thanks, Anne. It's good to see you here again. I figured you were very busy right now with the new semester approaching fast!

Thanks for your input. :) I'm always very happy it! Helps keep the paranoid me at bay.  ;)

I am definitely catching on! I do get kinda freaked out by getting scared I will mess up the grams and it will not equal the correct mg dose. That's me being paranoid. I wish I understood how to figure it out, I'm sure I will in time. Luckily, there are math gurus who are so helpful and don't have cog fog. Thank you so much for taking time to help me and figure out what my first week will look like! I'm sure I will probably have more ques again. I feel confident aboth starting Sunday!

Best wishes with this, Maya. You made a good plan to get this all worked out ahead and pick a start date! You are all set for success!

Kgirl,

Ok, thanks for telling me. I was thinking to hold every 7 days. I don't know why. I will hold every 3 for now. I'm hoping I can go faster with MT than I was with cut and hold. I have saved everything SG has posted to me. I hope I get used to it. I will definitely be sure to write everything down. I get nervous I'm going to mess up. Thank you! I really think MT will be easier on me once I get the hang of it. The cut and hold was a as shock to my system once I got to 4mg.

I hope everyone is having a good day!

Hmmm...I'm not sure what Kgirl is talking about here.  With MT there are no planned holds and since you are beginning at ~5% a month I doubt you will need to hold at all.

With the scale method it is usually necessary to build in planned holds to get the overall rate you are looking for, especially as the lower doses of K are reached due to the fact that the scale cannot make cuts below .003mg.  But you are at a high dose and your daily cut size matches up well with the .003mg K cut (you're cut is .006mg) so there is no need to insert planned holds.  Unless I am missing something, which is a definite possibility. :D

Again though, always hold as needed if symptoms begin to increase, but I would not expect that to happen at the rate you will be using.

SG sorry I thought you had told Maya to hold initially every few days until she saw how the micro taper worked for her and to then speed it up - perhaps i was wrong and it was on the klonopin board that someone said to do this.  In my opinion when starting anything different I think it is better to start slow  and then you can always speed it up, especially because Maya is being hit with lots of s/x right now from her cut and hold. 

Maya and company, my experience was I was holding with symptoms for a month (constant anxiety and phobias) and started a micro taper at ~6%/month anyway. I did not notice any difference in symptoms (not better, not worse). I just kept going. At least I was making progress so I wasn't in pain for nothing. I consoled myself with that.

Finally, since there was no difference between the hold and the MT, I decided the problem was the Xanax. I did a partial crossover to Librium, which reduced my symptoms. Now I'm micro tapering the Xanax portion with fewer waves and more windows at ~6%/month. Planning to try to increase my MT pace soon because I'm feeling a bit more confident. If that doesn't work, I'll just quickly go back to 6%. That's the one good thing about a short benzo. Cut too fast and you know quickly that you made a mistake and can correct it.

Hi, you have been so helpful I have to pick your brains for more advice.  I am on day 10 and have been doing my MT without any withdrawal symptoms. I am mixing the .5mg K into a 100ml solution and tossing an additional .5ml per day. I tossed 5ml today. My current rate will have my dose reduced by 10% by day 20. Do you think I could safely up the amount tossed by .6ml per day? Or should I just stick to my current taper rate?

Hi, you have been so helpful I have to pick your brains for more advice.  I am on day 10 and have been doing my MT without any withdrawal symptoms. I am mixing the .5mg K into a 100ml solution and tossing an additional .5ml per day. I tossed 5ml today. My current rate will have my dose reduced by 10% by day 20. Do you think I could safely up the amount tossed by .6ml per day? Or should I just stick to my current taper rate?

Good job and glad to hear it is going well.  That's a pretty good rate at your dose, but you may be able to go higher.  I'd keep testing this one and give it at least 14 days and if you clear that trying .6ml is a good choice.  .6ml nudges the rate up just a bit.  Be careful though as you are probably close to your highest cut.  Also be aware that as you go down in dose the cut size has to also go down so these cuts get "used up."