Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hey Guys! I might be interested in a dry cut micro taper. I am on K. Presently at 200 g. by scale. That about .5 mg. I have no idea how much to cut daily. And how long to hold? I have never done a micro taper. I am presently doing a c/h 3% every 2 weeks. This is at least my 3rd time on in 10 years - super sensitive this time. I have had window days but overall just tend to feel better in the afternoon/evening. Any help would be great. Thank you.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Bball:  If you are doing a dry gram scale taper the lowest amount you can cut is .001 grams of the K per cut pill.  If you use liquid you can cut much smaller amts but for some reason many of us on K had trouble when we went to the liquid.  Go figure. 

With that said for a taper using the gram scale:  What many of us did is cut .001 per cut on our micro tapers.  I think a couple of people did .002 grams to start.  It really depends on how you feel but I would recommend starting slower vs faster. It is easier to go up on the dose you cut and the frequency vs. down.

If you dose 2 x's per day that means cutting .001 grams from the AM pill and the next day from the PM pill.  What you need to figure out is your pace.  I would suggest starting out with cutting 10 out of 14 days - and not holding consecutive days.  Do a c/c/h/ etc. type pattern or you can do a c/h/ type pattern.  You can always speed up or slow down your pace.  For example towards the end  of my taper, I went to cutting the equivalent of .5mg of Valium per month.  That led me to cutting only 6 days out of 14 and holding in between. 

I think there are a lot of old posts on the archived KK board as to how most of us did our tapers. I would spend some time reading them.    Every one of us did something a little different with our pacing except that we all kept going.  Hardly anyone posts here at all, from this group, since the majority of us are back to living our lives, which should let you know that regardless of how awful we all felt during our tapers, it is doable, and you will heal. 

I recently started a DLMT and have cut from 2.5 mg diazepam to 2.36 mg.  I increased from cutting .2 ml/.02 mg per day to .3 ml/.03 mg per day.  I have had and continue to have anxiety, terror, depression, akathisia, light sensivity, tinnitus, hearing loss, visual deterioration.  I had all of these even while holding at 5 mg for 4 months, so there seems no way for me to bypass these symptoms.  Does it sound like I'm tapering too fast?  I'm just so miserable I don't know what else to do.

I've recently become more negative, whiney, complaining and no one can stand to be around me, even me.  I've lost my siblings and friends so am completely alone.  I have no husband or children.  I'm alone and afraid. I can't read my bible or even pray other than cry out to God to help me. 

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  I can't imagine what it'll be like when I jump if I'm this bad during the taper. 

I've been off the board for a while since I didn't have much access at all to a computer for a couple weeks (this is the only thread I go to in BB's). I see lots of new people. Welcome here!! The gurus here are wonderful. Do what they say and you'll be fine. Believe!!! I've been around a long time and will be around even a longer time due to how slow I have to taper (ridiculously sensitive), but we can all help each other. One little nugget...it seems like a lot of folks don't know what to do right at this moment. When you're at that point, HOLD until you determine your path. Like they say.....you can't go too slow when tapering, but you can definitely go to fast. Your finish line is out there :)

Blessing to all.

Jeff

I've been off the board for a while since I didn't have much access at all to a computer for a couple weeks (this is the only thread I go to in BB's). I see lots of new people. Welcome here!! The gurus here are wonderful. Do what they say and you'll be fine. Believe!!! I've been around a long time and will be around even a longer time due to how slow I have to taper (ridiculously sensitive), but we can all help each other. One little nugget...it seems like a lot of folks don't know what to do right at this moment. When you're at that point, HOLD until you determine your path. Like they say.....you can't go too slow when tapering, but you can definitely go to fast. Your finish line is out there :)

Blessing to all.

Jeff

Great insight.  Things usually won't get worse by holding a bit but they sure can get a lot worse by tapering too quickly.  I was getting down to a low level with my gabapentin and too fast tapering (and other factors) have set me way back.  Now, I have to regroup and find my way.  It's probably set me back a minimum of 6 months, perhaps longer.  But, I have to accept it.

-RST

I recently started a DLMT and have cut from 2.5 mg diazepam to 2.36 mg.  I increased from cutting .2 ml/.02 mg per day to .3 ml/.03 mg per day.  I have had and continue to have anxiety, terror, depression, akathisia, light sensivity, tinnitus, hearing loss, visual deterioration.  I had all of these even while holding at 5 mg for 4 months, so there seems no way for me to bypass these symptoms.  Does it sound like I'm tapering too fast?  I'm just so miserable I don't know what else to do.

I've recently become more negative, whiney, complaining and no one can stand to be around me, even me.  I've lost my siblings and friends so am completely alone.  I have no husband or children.  I'm alone and afraid. I can't read my bible or even pray other than cry out to God to help me. 

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?  I can't imagine what it'll be like when I jump if I'm this bad during the taper.

Hey gardenlady,

I would recommend holding for now also.  From reading your signature it looks like you reduced from 5mg to where you are now pretty quick.  You may be feeling the effects of those larger cuts still.  Try to hold and see if you stabilize and do a very slow daily micro taper from there.

When I was feeling as you are now, only 2 things helped me the most and that was listening to motivational speakers such as tony Robbins, zig ziglar, and Napoleon Hill; and helping others by posting support on the boards.  Try to get out of your head a little and keep your mind on positive things.  If you can’t think of anything positive, again listen to some motivational speaking and try to do some of the things they say.

These drugs are powerful but I believe the human mind is stronger but we have to retrain it post benzos!

Stay strong!

Sharkey

Bball:  If you are doing a dry gram scale taper the lowest amount you can cut is .001 grams of the K per cut pill.  If you use liquid you can cut much smaller amts but for some reason many of us on K had trouble when we went to the liquid.  Go figure. 

With that said for a taper using the gram scale:  What many of us did is cut .001 per cut on our micro tapers.  I think a couple of people did .002 grams to start.  It really depends on how you feel but I would recommend starting slower vs faster. It is easier to go up on the dose you cut and the frequency vs. down.

If you dose 2 x's per day that means cutting .001 grams from the AM pill and the next day from the PM pill.  What you need to figure out is your pace.  I would suggest starting out with cutting 10 out of 14 days - and not holding consecutive days.  Do a c/c/h/ etc. type pattern or you can do a c/h/ type pattern.  You can always speed up or slow down your pace.  For example towards the end  of my taper, I went to cutting the equivalent of .5mg of Valium per month.  That led me to cutting only 6 days out of 14 and holding in between. 

I think there are a lot of old posts on the archived KK board as to how most of us did our tapers. I would spend some time reading them.    Every one of us did something a little different with our pacing except that we all kept going.  Hardly anyone posts here at all, from this group, since the majority of us are back to living our lives, which should let you know that regardless of how awful we all felt during our tapers, it is doable, and you will heal.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found that Once I reached  3mg of V, I had to shift my DLMT to .01ml. I could not handle .02 or above. Perhaps you may want to try reducing less and you may find your symptoms improve as well. This may also afford an easier slide off for you as you continue to heal.  I am able for  the most part  to maintain my baseline with that reduction. best of luck!! :smitten:

Blessing to all.

Jeff

Great insight.  Things usually won't get worse by holding a bit but they sure can get a lot worse by tapering too quickly.  I was getting down to a low level with my gabapentin and too fast tapering (and other factors) have set me way back.  Now, I have to regroup and find my way.  It's probably set me back a minimum of 6 months, perhaps longer.  But, I have to accept it.

-RST

Six months!! Holy cow. We all learn in our own way. Good attitude though....the best thing to do is to accept and move on. Hang in there!!

Jeff

Hey gardenlady,

I would recommend holding for now also.  From reading your signature it looks like you reduced from 5mg to where you are now pretty quick.  You may be feeling the effects of those larger cuts still.  Try to hold and see if you stabilize and do a very slow daily micro taper from there.

When I was feeling as you are now, only 2 things helped me the most and that was listening to motivational speakers such as tony Robbins, zig ziglar, and Napoleon Hill; and helping others by posting support on the boards.  Try to get out of your head a little and keep your mind on positive things.  If you can’t think of anything positive, again listen to some motivational speaking and try to do some of the things they say.

These drugs are powerful but I believe the human mind is stronger but we have to retrain it post benzos!

Stay strong!

Sharkey

Hey Sharkster!! Just curious...how did you listen to those recordings? Was there someplace online, or did you own CD's, mp3's, etc.? I used to listen to Zig a long time ago and loved it. Last week I got "Think and Grow Rich" (Napoleon Hill) from the library. I'm hoping that the seventh time is a charm :) .

Geaux have a super day!

Jeff

Hey gardenlady,

Stay strong!

Sharkey

Hey Sharkster!! Just curious...how did you listen to those recordings? Was there someplace online, or did you own CD's, mp3's, etc.? I used to listen to Zig a long time ago and loved it. Last week I got "Think and Grow Rich" (Napoleon Hill) from the library. I'm hoping that the seventh time is a charm :) .

Geaux have a super day!

Jeff

Jeff my friend!!!

I used Amazon Audible to listen to mine.  They have great recording of Napoleon Hill called, “Napoleon Hill in his own voice”. Highly recommend it.  I would listen to that stuff while driving.  I pretty much replaced the radio with motivational stuff while I was tapering.  Absolutely love “think and grow rich”, great book!

Stay strong!

Sharkey

I found that Once I reached  3mg of V, I had to shift my DLMT to .01ml. I could not handle .02 or above. Perhaps you may want to try reducing less and you may find your symptoms improve as well. This may also afford an easier slide off for you as you continue to heal.  I am able for  the most part  to maintain my baseline with that reduction. best of luck!! :smitten:

Kasey, Thank so much for your reply!  Does your .01ml = .01 mg?  Just wondering what your conversion ratio is.  Mine is 10 ml:1mg, so a .1 ml/.01 mg decrease would be an awfully slow, drawn out taper.  I have been barely functional ever since I reinstated over a year ago and need to get off asap.  I was miserable before starting this taper and have been regardless of whether  I'm tapering slowly, holding, or tapering quickly.  Seems to be a no-win situation. Sorry to be so negative, but I'm simply stating what has happened.

Kasey, Thank so much for your reply!  Does your .01ml = .01 mg?  Just wondering what your conversion ratio is.  Mine is 10 ml:1mg, so a .1 ml/.01 mg decrease would be an awfully slow, drawn out taper.  I have been barely functional ever since I reinstated over a year ago and need to get off asap.  I was miserable before starting this taper and have been regardless of whether  I'm tapering slowly, holding, or tapering quickly.  Seems to be a no-win situation. Sorry to be so negative, but I'm simply stating what has happened.

Great question, It is 1 to 1. ( .01mg = .01ml). GL - pls do not be hard on yourself, many of us experience negative thinking, it unfortunately can be a side effect of benzo's. This too will abate, slowly and surely you will begin to see the world in color.  As for the miserable thing.... there are many of us in that boat as well. Girl we are rowing it together, you are in good company.  But ya know -  it will get better, it takes time and that can be a difficult thing to practice - patience.  You have really come a long way and persevered well, You have endured more than one thinks one can and you will conquer this, crossing that victory line triumphantly.  Just one day at a time! :smitten:

I'm really sorry you're feeling so poorly. I am much the same way. I held for a long time myself and saw no improvement at all until 4 months into the hold, and that was only a glimmer. I think at 6 months I could tell I was improving. It was nearly a year before I felt well enough to taper again. Of course, tapering again has brought much of it back, but not as intense as before the hold. And now I am holding again, probably 2 months this time, but we'll see. I have some major stress in my life that I'm not doing well with at all. I will hold until I get my feet back under me.

You mentioned you are alone and are spiritually struggling. May I suggest you try contacting a few churches around you to see if they have a visitation or spiritual "counseling" service? I've seen that a number of churches in this area have started offering this. I was helped by a lady who came to visit me regularly me when I was so agoraphobic I couldn't leave the house. I didn't even go to her church, but she didn't care. We also have Aging and Disability Resource Centers run buy the counties here. They connect people with low-cost services, such as home help. I know one buddie (not married, no kids) who has home help come once/week just so she is not alone. She has grown to really like the lady who comes.

I'm sorry I don't have a lot of wisdom or a lot of hope right now myself. But I know I have had hope before so I cling to the hope it will return. (I guess that is hope, isn't it? ::)) And I keep trying to get my ducks in a row better as best I can (which is not great) in all areas of my life because I know that affects my ability to taper. One day at a time. One day closer to freedom.

Gard :smitten:

Thanks to Builder and Sharkey (among others), I will begin the micro daily tapering with PG this up-coming Sunday. I have been dry cutting my K and my pdoc knows nothing about liquid titration so I am under the guidance of this board. I have all my supplies.

I have two questions to this support group:

1. I am on an AM and a PM equal dose of dry tab K. I have been advised to do part dry tab and part liquid for the first few days. My question is what type of symptoms/effects should I experience with this transfer from dry tab to liquid K?  I plan on staying on 1 mg of K for my first week of switching.

2. Advice about pulling from only my AM dose and eliminate it completely, using PM dose alone? Or should I pull from both AM and PM doses?  I understand each one of us is different regarding symptoms and reactions, so I am just looking for general advice from more experienced daily micro tapering folks.

Really appreciate all the advice and special help from this group. Any advice / suggestions / hints are greatly welcomed.

Smiles and sunshine from Florida, Pooh

I switched directly to all liquid. And I havent been great. What is the reason for part tab part liquid? Is it a motabolism thing? Is the liquid too quickly motabolized. Should I go back to tabs  and liquid? Im on 3 doses per day. I amazed how fast you were able to decrease to 1mg pooh

1. I am on an AM and a PM equal dose of dry tab K. I have been advised to do part dry tab and part liquid for the first few days. My question is what type of symptoms/effects should I experience with this transfer from dry tab to liquid K?  I plan on staying on 1 mg of K for my first week of switching.

FWIW, I learned about liquid microtapering on the old BDR board.  There were hundreds (thousands?) of folks on that board doing daily liquid tapers and no one ever mentioned any effects from switching from tablets to liquid.  Its the same med, the same dose, coming from the same tablets.  It always pisses folks off when I say it, but if you don't expect any effects, you probably won't have  any effects.

2. Advice about pulling from only my AM dose and eliminate it completely, using PM dose alone? Or should I pull from both AM and PM doses?  I understand each one of us is different regarding symptoms and reactions, so I am just looking for general advice from more experienced daily micro tapering folks.

K has a long half-life (18-50 hours) so there should not be any significant effect from some dose-to-dose variability.  Actually, many folks do just fine 1X daily dosing.  For simplicity, I would start by just reducing from a single dose (FWIW, I always wanted to take my biggest dose before bed.)  Unlike C&H,  wd sxs, if any,  will emerge gradually, so if you actually see symptoms developing, you can alter your schedule to adjust.

Guys im also tapering with mixing my 3 k pills into about 10ml pg thanks to sharkey. But how do you ensure your draws are accurate each time? You just stir up your master pot and pull with a syringe while it all swirls around? Feels like a lot of room for error here. And often my pot has major residue at the bottom even with stiring. Im going to assume its better to stir up container then draw from mid suspension and not botton of container? Is 10ml pg enough to ensure a good suspension. Currently mixing three 0.5mg pills into 150ml liauid. 10 ml of that being pg. That makes 0.01mg/ml and im pulling about 1ml every second day.

1)  When you dissolve your K in the PG it creates a uniformly-distributed solution.  Swish it around a little bit and don't worry about it.  Your draws will be uniform strength-wise. 

2)  Your tablets actually only less than 1% K, the rest if inactive binders and fillers.  The K will definitely dissolve, but some of the binders and filler will not.  What you see floating, or settling to the bottom is NOT K.

Quit worrying!  ;)

1)  When you dissolve your K in the PG it creates a uniformly-distributed solution.  Swish it around a little bit and don't worry about it.  Your draws will be uniform strength-wise. 

2)  Your tablets actually only less than 1% K, the rest if inactive binders and fillers.  The K will definitely dissolve, but some of the binders and filler will not.  What you see floating, or settling to the bottom is NOT K.

Quit worrying!  ;)

So if you want to keep dry cutting because liquid doesnt sit well with you...does that mean you might not be cutting the actual benzo out properly?

Quit worrying!  ;)

So if you want to keep dry cutting because liquid doesnt sit well with you...does that mean you might not be cutting the actual benzo out properly?

The active ingredient in your tablet is NOT uniformly distributed, so if you're  dry-cutting, you are probably getting a significant day-to-day variation. But...it really doesn't matter.  Because of the long half-life, the day to day variations tend to be self-cancellation.

Actually, even when you were taking a steady dose of whole tablets, it's likely your dose varied +/- 5% from day to day.

I switched directly to all liquid. And I havent been great. What is the reason for part tab part liquid? Is it a motabolism thing? Is the liquid too quickly motabolized. Should I go back to tabs  and liquid? Im on 3 doses per day. I amazed how fast you were able to decrease to 1mg pooh

Rossho, thanks for input and reply. T

This is my very first time withdrawing from any drug and I chose to do this because I want to be as drug free as possible. My pdoc is non-supportive of anything I suggest; he's the one who had me reducing/eliminating 3 psych drugs all at once at the very beginning. I'm not going to share my horror story of those 6 weeks, but I don't think daily micro tapering K is going to be as difficult for me personally as those weeks of being bed-ridden.

Because I am switching to PG liquid titration I feel as though I am in more control of my withdrawal and can adjust the daily taper as necessary. As my oldest son told me, "Mom, it's all about your quality of life, not the length of time getting off this toxic drug."

I have a super-great supportive PG who is monitoring my physical sxs and I TRY to keep my attitude positive and not focus on the sxs. Obviously, the more I focus on my anxiety, physical sxs, the more they intensify.

I have got to thank this support group and Builder and Sharkey in particular for their unrelenting advice and support and encouragement. Please let me know, Rossho, if there is anything I can do to help you. You can PM if you wish. I will update my progress as necessary to this group.

smiles, Pooh  :smitten:

FWIW, I learned about liquid microtapering on the old BDR board.  There were hundreds (thousands?) of folks on that board doing daily liquid tapers and no one ever mentioned any effects from switching from tablets to liquid.  Its the same med, the same dose, coming from the same tablets.  It always pisses folks off when I say it, but if you don't expect any effects, you probably won't have  any effects.

K has a long half-life (18-50 hours) so there should not be any significant effect from some dose-to-dose variability.  Actually, many folks do just fine 1X daily dosing.  For simplicity, I would start by just reducing from a single dose (FWIW, I always wanted to take my biggest dose before bed.)  Unlike C&H,  wd sxs, if any,  will emerge gradually, so if you actually see symptoms developing, you can alter your schedule to adjust.

And many thanks to you, Builder, for answering my questions!

1. I think you are correct: don't expect major sxs and they probably will not occur. And if they do, adjust daily cut as necessary.  Thanks for the reassurance on few to any sxs as I do my switch over.

2. I am going to reduce my morning K dose and eventually eliminate it during this liquid taper. Like you, Builder, I prefer to take my larger dose at night.

And I will try to quit worrying as you recommended to Rossho. As a detail perfectionist, I will be testing my patience. But this entire withdrawal process (in week 16) has been a test of patience, endurance, and letting go of what I can't control. What a learning experience at the age of 68.

Will keep this group posted on my progress. I'm going to do a test "mix" today with my PG. On Sunday, begin the morning 0.5 mg in liquid, evening 0.5 tab at night for a couple to days, then go to all liquid 1.0 mg for a couple of days before reducing my morning liquid dose by 1.0 mL or 1/2 mL daily as necessary.

Thanks again, Builder

Pooh  :smitten:

HELP!!!!!!!!  :-\

My 0.5 mg K tab is not dissolving quickly in the PG. Obviously, I must be doing something wrong  ???

FOR MY MORNING DOSE ONLY:

0.5 mg K in 5 mL of PG to dissolve. had to shake around, pour from cylinder to small bottle, back and forth to get it to dissolve. Then added 95 mL of water, drank the entire 100 mL because I am not decreasing doses for a week to give my sensitive body time to adjust.

Builder, please let me know if I should be crushing the tablet up first. You are the calming, reassuring person that helps everyone not to be so concerned with minute details. Am I doing something wrong?  Am I blowing this whole method totally out of proportion?  OMG, I am so upset and scared I am going to screw this up.

I understand about the residue and fillers in the tab . . . was there anyone else out there in BB land that experienced heightened anxiety doing the switch over?

I will have been on 1 mg K for 30 days hold before beginning the liquid 1 mL or 1/2 mL daily decrease. ADVICE??? Is that a long enough hold?  My major sxs are the anxiety and depression, tingling extremities, heart palpations when anxious, and itchy body but no rash. Also, red splotches on my face that increase with my anxiety level.

I would appreciate any feedback, advice, suggestions, encouragement from anyone in this particular group.

thanks a lot for reading this

foggy morning in central Florida, Pooh  :smitten: