Exercise support group

[dr...]

[44...]

This is a great idea VG! It's so important to eat right, especially in WD. There's so much conflicting info out there it would be interesting to exchange ideas. I've narrowed my diet to what I think is pretty healthy and sensible. I still indulge now and then, but mostly stick to fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts, and moderate amounts of whole grains. Also dairy in moderation. It helps that we have chickens, so I get fresh eggs whenever I want!

Sounds like you are on a good path  :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[44...]

VG,

I try to do Paleo mostly.  I have never been picky about food, I could eat the same thing just about everyday & some people

can't have the same thing two days in a row.  Food has never been a big deal to me.

Today for example I had a couple of hard boiled eggs in the morning, then I will snack on nuts.  I usually keep a tupperware

handy of almonds, walnuts, pecans with some dark chocolate chips all mixed together.

For lunch I was in a hurry, so I went thru a Carls Junior & got their All Natual burger & had it lettuce wrapped. And for dinner I

will usually have some fish & veggies or chicken & veggies.  I stay away from sugar as best I can & carbs.

I know there are alot of Paleo cookbooks out there but I have to keep it as simple as I can, because I eat for myself & my wife

will cook for the kids & herself.  I am on this alone in my family  :laugh:

My wife mentioned to me the other day, I just can't eat like you  :laugh: food is important & taste is important to her, it's not to

me. 

If I could convert my wife to eat like I do then I would probably get more detailed about making it via a cookbook.

She actually dragged me down to the bike store Friday to help her buy a mountain bike  :thumbsup: I will keep it on the street for

her, she has no dirt experience at all but wants to exercise with me, that's awesome !

By the way, she & my family were up in Bend Friday, Sat & just got back a few hours ago.  They were helping my daughters boyfriend

move his stuff down here because he is done with school there.  :thumbsup: they said it was beautiful weather there.

By the way, the veins freak me out.  I have asked 2 doctors about it & they said it's very healthy & you are just lean  :laugh: it still

freaks me out tho, especially the back of my legs.  Someone told me all the guys doing steroids in the gym would kill to have those

veins  :laugh:

Have a great evening my mountain biking compadre'  :thumbsup:

It is amazing here in Bend :thumbsup:

I mostly eat like you, however I get hypoglycemic so I need to supplement more. Food is not as important to me when I'm working out and riding because then I focus on that and have less of a need to eat for pleasure. It's become more eating for fuel. Now with my fatigue, Hormones (which 50+ women have to go through)  :laugh:, and sadness because of this situation I have become an emotional eater and I binge.

I never thought of driving through Carl's Jr. and getting a lettuce burger. See a new tip  ;D.  It's little things like that can help in a pinch.

I get sad when I go into my garage and see my bikes just sitting there. My buddie in So. Cal just bought this. It's one of those 9 x 11's.. He is 52 and still knuckingfutz  :ohttps://vimeo.com/99840943 

[44...]

Oh yeah, sugar is my downfall too :laugh: Cinnamon rolls sound great.

Cookies, brownies, ice cream, cheese cake etc. It's all a problem.

Yes it's THE problem with me. The poor deprived sad little girls inside me wants the cupcakes  :(. I can't just eat one either.

Hey guys, since we're on nutrition I want to share my smoothie recipe. I've been on these almost daily for a couple years now, and I have yet to read anything bad about the ingredients. Here it is:

Handful of organic frozen blueberries

A few organic frozen strawberries

A few frozen pitted dark cherries (I have yet to find organic)

organic banana

Handful of walnuts

A little kefir milk (or lactose free, dairy free option)

Table spoon of pomegranate powder (for the extra vit c)

Ice

optional: tablespoon of chia seeds and/or goji berries

The beauty of this recipe is it's no added sugar, and it's still delicious. I have after I work out. Enjoy!

Sounds good and I might substitute coconut milk for kefir.  I miss my smoothies because I used them for protein but adding the powder can get me going on a glutamate storm.  :crazy:  Feeling okay...migraine feels like it was trying to push through last night and this am but is gone for now.  Will try and do 25 minutes gentle eliptical today at lunch.

[44...]

nova1, those were some nice thoughts to share. You cheered me up  :smitten:

Fran, thanks for the help and support again. You are always there when I need you  :smitten:

Wondernova, I will try that recipe  :thumbsup:.

So many people here ave lost weight. I think you all gave it to me  :tickedoff:

Hugs  :smitten:

VG

VG,

That is an awesome bike! I have bike envy now  :laugh:

I buy salmon burgers from Costco & today for lunch had one of those with avocado on it  :thumbsup: minus the bun of course.

That would be an awesome trail to ride, I would probably bike & hike up  :thumbsup: downhill would be amazing, I would have

to throw on my knee pads of course  :laugh:

Ninj  :thumbsup:

[44...]

VG,

I buy salmon burgers from Costco & today for lunch had one of those with avocado on it  :thumbsup: minus the bun of course.

That would be an awesome trail to ride, I would probably bike & hike up  :thumbsup: downhill would be amazing, I would have

I think everyone shuttles up those things. I'm more of a cross country rider. My friend was a BMX racer as a kid. Him and all his crazy middle aged bros do this wild DH rides and catch air in hopes there Depends won't show through their kits  :laugh:.

He deserves that bike. He had a bad accident and had to be airlifted. He was very close to becoming paralyzed. 6 months later he's back  :thumbsup:.

[44...]

Ninja,

I hate hard boiled eggs, salmon or any kind of fish  :sick:  except lobster, shrimp and crab  ;D.

You have to do better  :tickedoff: and help me out bro. I want those veins!!!

ValleyGirl-I hated Salmon until about one year ago. The thought of smelling it used to turn me off. The trick is I marinate it with Yogurt Caesar Parmigiano by Bolthouse. It's only 45 calories per serving and it's so delish!!! I usually eat it with a vegetable and quinoa. I don't eat any red meat because my dad dropped dead of a heart attack...I basically live off Salmon, Chicken, and turkey burgers. LOL

I'm drinking my adrenal cocktail now... HAPPY COCKTAIL HOUR everyone:)

Fran

I was wondering since this is a exercise support group if anyone is interested in sharing diet and recipe ideas?

So many choices out there and I want to dump some weight and gain energy so I can shred on my mountain bike (well maybe not shred) but ride again  :laugh:.

Some of my choices:

• Gluten Free

• Paleio

• Low Carb

• Vegetarian

• Vegan

• Semi Vegetarian

• Kosher

• Raw Foods Diet

• Amputation Diet

• Tongue Patch Diet

• Prison loaf Diet

• High Residue Diet

• Baby Food Diet

• Shangri-la Diet

• Breatharianism

• Last chance Diet

I'm just joking around of course. I seriously get confused because there is so much information and it's hard to be to limiting when you are pressed for time and have to feed a family. I have done so much research and have just ended up overwhelmed  :o.

I need things I can fix quick. Low carb/Paleio is what I try to stick with as a guide.

Maybe we can explore this more here.

VG

Hi VG - I LOVE this idea...I am no cook at all, but hubby likes to cook so I am always passing recipes on to him.

There are sooo many "diets" and claims out there for things that will make us stronger, healthier, live longer, be thinner, get smarter, make our hearts healthier, etc. and some are in direct conflict with one another. It can be very confusing — even the scientific studies and research are often contradictory! I think it is another one of those things that, in part, comes down to individual physiology and the "food culture" we are accustomed to, but also there are some basics, like whole, fresh, natural foods, lower sugar intake, avoidance of processed foods, etc. that makes sense for most everyone, but beyond that, it can get very individualized.

For me, if I can't make it in the Vitamix — or pull it out of the fridge already cooked by hubby, or fresh and ready to eat raw, then I'm probably not going to eat it...but hubby will cook it if I given him the recipe!

Regards,

Mo

P.S. And BTW, VG, you can make most everything in a blendtec or Ninja blender so it doesn't have to be a Vitamix; I just happened to get a really nice used one and I actually like it so much I travel with it when we take road trips.

Mo your philosophy on diet is exactly how I feel. Couldn't have said it better.

VG if you like shellfish, a good one to try is wild caught jumbo prawns in garlic, basil, butter. You can also add lemon and serve with your favorite veggies. I usually go with red potatoes and chard.

Conditions for surf weren't great today, but I still got in and got some waves. As usual I feel refreshed.  :)

Mo your philosophy on diet is exactly how I feel. Couldn't have said it better.

VG if you like shellfish, a good one to try is wild caught jumbo prawns in garlic, basil, butter. You can also add lemon and serve with your favorite veggies. I usually go with red potatoes and chard.

Conditions for surf weren't great today, but I still got in and got some waves. As usual I feel refreshed.  :)

Wonder,

I grew up in Hawaii, there is nothing like a salt water baptism to make you feel good again  :thumbsup:

Do you surf goofy foot? What size board to you ride?

VG,

I think everyone shuttles up those things. I'm more of a cross country rider. My friend was a BMX racer as a kid. Him and all his crazy middle aged bros do this wild DH rides and catch air in hopes there Depends won't show through their kits  :laugh:.

He deserves that bike. He had a bad accident and had to be airlifted. He was very close to becoming paralyzed. 6 months later he's back  :thumbsup:.

That was was definitely a downhill only bike, I like riding up the trails as well as down but the idea of a shuttle up to the top at my

age would be fuuuuuun  :thumbsup:

I think Bachelor does a lift during the summer, at least that's what I have been told but I have never confirmed that personally.  I might

have to do that this summer :thumbsup:

Everyone has lots of good ideas on diet & nutrition here, I love it! Wonders berry drink sounds delicious  :thumbsup:

I will try to rub my two brain cells together to come up with some different ideas  :laugh:

Ninj  :smitten:

The ocean is so healing Ninja. I'd love to get to Hawaii some day. Did you surf when you lived there?

I'm actually a regular foot, and I'm on a 7'6" single fin right now. I'd like to get a long board and a short board in the near future though. I want to be able to ride a variety of boards.

i try to tell the new members who are desperate for relief how much exercise has helped me i started off 6 months ago when i quit xanax how i felt hours of releif just walking 10-15 minutes , over time i increased my speed and time to running for 20-30 minutes then i go to a gym an hour in the evening

The ocean is so healing Ninja. I'd love to get to Hawaii some day. Did you surf when you lived there?

I'm actually a regular foot, and I'm on a 7'6" single fin right now. I'd like to get a long board and a short board in the near future though. I want to be able to ride a variety of boards.

I lived in Hawaii until I was 19, never surfed because I could never figure out how to hide a surf board in my back pack when I was

cutting school  :laugh: I always had my duck feet or churchill fins in my backpack.

We always lived in condos & there was never any room for a surfboard but I did surf a few times when going out borrowing boards

from friends on the weekends. 

But for the most part I always bodysurfed, there are some beaches over there that are like The Wedge that have great shore breaks.

Here is one of them called Sandys, I grew up on this beach bodysurfing like these guys, it's usually sunny but this looks like an over cast day & kind of blown out but you get the idea.  Everytime I go there on vacation I get up before my family wakes up & head out for an early morning session, the waves are always glassier in the morning.

Whenever I felt sick I would always go sit in the sand on the beach & jump in the water  :thumbsup: salt water therapy!

[44...]

ValleyGirl-I hated Salmon until about one year ago. The thought of smelling it used to turn me off. The trick is I marinate it with Yogurt Caesar Parmigiano by Bolthouse. It's only 45 calories per serving and it's so delish!!! I usually eat it with a vegetable and quinoa. I don't eat any red meat because my dad dropped dead of a heart attack...I basically live off Salmon, Chicken, and turkey burgers. LOL

I'm drinking my adrenal cocktail now... HAPPY COCKTAIL HOUR everyone:)

Fran

I wish I could bring myself to eat it but, I just can't do it.

[44...]

I was wondering since this is a exercise support group if anyone is interested in sharing diet and recipe ideas?

So many choices out there and I want to dump some weight and gain energy so I can shred on my mountain bike (well maybe not shred) but ride again  :laugh:.

Some of my choices:

• Gluten Free

• Paleio

• Low Carb

• Vegetarian

• Vegan

• Semi Vegetarian

• Kosher

• Raw Foods Diet

• Amputation Diet

• Tongue Patch Diet

• Prison loaf Diet

• High Residue Diet

• Baby Food Diet

• Shangri-la Diet

• Breatharianism

• Last chance Diet

I'm just joking around of course. I seriously get confused because there is so much information and it's hard to be to limiting when you are pressed for time and have to feed a family. I have done so much research and have just ended up overwhelmed  :o.

I need things I can fix quick. Low carb/Paleio is what I try to stick with as a guide.

Maybe we can explore this more here.

VG

Hi VG - I LOVE this idea...I am no cook at all, but hubby likes to cook so I am always passing recipes on to him.

There are sooo many "diets" and claims out there for things that will make us stronger, healthier, live longer, be thinner, get smarter, make our hearts healthier, etc. and some are in direct conflict with one another. It can be very confusing — even the scientific studies and research are often contradictory! I think it is another one of those things that, in part, comes down to individual physiology and the "food culture" we are accustomed to, but also there are some basics, like whole, fresh, natural foods, lower sugar intake, avoidance of processed foods, etc. that makes sense for most everyone, but beyond that, it can get very individualized.

For me, if I can't make it in the Vitamix — or pull it out of the fridge already cooked by hubby, or fresh and ready to eat raw, then I'm probably not going to eat it...but hubby will cook it if I given him the recipe!

Regards,

Mo

P.S. And BTW, VG, you can make most everything in a blendtec or Ninja blender so it doesn't have to be a Vitamix; I just happened to get a really nice used one and I actually like it so much I travel with it when we take road trips.

I think your awsome Mo  :thumbsup: It's sounds like you have a very healthy and practical diet. My hubby cooks but I pay the supreme price. He just fries everything in olive oil and it splatters everywhere. He grabs all these random ingredients to season things out of the fridge and no matter what it tastes the same and it's over seasoned. I feel so guilty because he really tries to help but he has such weird taste  :laugh: So I'm taking over!

[44...]

VG,

That was was definitely a downhill only bike, I like riding up the trails as well as down but the idea of a shuttle up to the top at my

age would be fuuuuuun  :thumbsup:

I think Bachelor does a lift during the summer, at least that's what I have been told but I have never confirmed that personally.  I might

have to do that this summer :thumbsup:

Everyone has lots of good ideas on diet & nutrition here, I love it! Wonders berry drink sounds delicious  :thumbsup:

I will try to rub my two brain cells together to come up with some different ideas  :laugh:

Ninj  :smitten:

Bachlor opened last summer and my friend said it was super fun but lots of lava rock so full face helmet and Armour for sure. I'm not sure if your a serial killer or not but we call all meet at one of the micro brews after for a beer (Oh, I forgot we can't drink  :() maybe kombucha?  :laugh:.

I lived in Hawaii until I was 19, never surfed because I could never figure out how to hide a surf board in my back pack when I was

cutting school  :laugh: I always had my duck feet or churchill fins in my backpack.

We always lived in condos & there was never any room for a surfboard but I did surf a few times when going out borrowing boards

from friends on the weekends. 

But for the most part I always bodysurfed, there are some beaches over there that are like The Wedge that have great shore breaks.

Here is one of them called Sandys, I grew up on this beach bodysurfing like these guys, it's usually sunny but this looks like an over cast day & kind of blown out but you get the idea.  Everytime I go there on vacation I get up before my family wakes up & head out for an early morning session, the waves are always glassier in the morning.

Whenever I felt sick I would always go sit in the sand on the beach & jump in the water  :thumbsup: salt water therapy!

Man that is some serious shore break!

I was also "allergic" to school ninja. ;) I still don't know how I made it to a B.A.