Exercise support group

[dr...]

After one of the hardest days of anxiety/fear yesterday I got out of bed after miserable sleep to exercise. My cog fog was a ten on a 1-10 scale.  I gently walked two miles and my cog fog lifted as the day went on.  I've decided when in a wave like I am it is only walking or gentle exercise for me. I believe the jogging revved me too much. 

Mo-thx for the migrain info. I get terrible tension and migraine.  I had them pre benzo but nothing like this.  I currently am taking 400mg of mag per day, I meditate twice a day, and get cranial focused massages at least once a week. I've recently incorporated the massage and magnesium.  I also never eat processed foods unless I'm stuck(I'm a great cook and live in SF so we get some great foods here). TV and computer I spend too much time on but I need distractions.

I also just went gluten free as my doc mentioned there are studies saying it helps.

Really appreciate everything you listed.

Wow, do I totally empathize with you! Been there...wait, I actually AM there. :P You are already doing all the stuff my neuro has me doing, which pretty much banished the migraines until I started benzo w/d. I have actually been considering giving up gluten (saw those studies, too) since starting the w/d has made my headaches come back, but it just seems like one more thing to give up. I would be really interested to know how that works out for you. My neuro wrote me a prescription for one of the new magnetic stimulating wonderwoman headbands (Cefaly brand), but I am not sure I want to add that to benzo w/d and she is not quite sure either, although for "normal" people about 50% of people it seems to help.

I also hear you on the TV and computer as distraction. I'm currently totally hooked on the new Hawaii Five-0, which is sooo not my usual taste (I'm more of a Downton Abbey, Foyle's War, Forever, Bones fan), but all this cold weather and talk of surfing got me going on good HI memories, so figured I'd use them to the max! I guess there's no Shaka emoticon... :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on you everyone for your hard work - you are all an inspiration.

I have been doing the daily gym since I joined this forum, and as that has been less than a week I'm a little in the sore territory (cardio every day - 50 mins if doing weights and 60 if not) I do weights every second day.

I used to be a gym junkie and I am very surprised at my residual fitness. Although sore, I'm actually able to pound it almost as hard as before. Each time I have to up the weights, machine levels as I am actually far more capable than I thought at this.

Thanks for creating a place to share  :)

Mosart,

I went one step further as far as diet goes & went Paleo.  I cut out all grains, sugars & gluten, the way my doctor described it

as getting rid of inflammation, if you have gut inflammation then you have inflammation all over your body & even your brain.

I have been eating like this for a year & I have leaned way down  :thumbsup: I have become very vascular, I have people all

the time ask me if I run marathons due to the veins that pop out of my arms & legs  :laugh:

I love Hawaii 5-0 as well, mainly because I know all the places that shots are taken  :thumbsup:

I just got hooked on the series The Blacklist with James Spader, I watch the whole first season on Netflix  :thumbsup:

Ninj  :smitten:

Mosart,

I went one step further as far as diet goes & went Paleo.  I cut out all grains, sugars & gluten, the way my doctor described it

as getting rid of inflammation, if you have gut inflammation then you have inflammation all over your body & even your brain.

I have been eating like this for a year & I have leaned way down  :thumbsup: I have become very vascular, I have people all

the time ask me if I run marathons due to the veins that pop out of my arms & legs  :laugh:

I love Hawaii 5-0 as well, mainly because I know all the places that shots are taken  :thumbsup:

I just got hooked on the series The Blacklist with James Spader, I watch the whole first season on Netflix  :thumbsup:

Hey Ninj,

I have many times thought about possibly trying paleo, too, but as I was at a good point BEFORE the benzo w/d decided not to mess with things. I know they are finding that inflammation is REALLY bad for so many health issues so anything that reduces inflammation seems like it would be a plus! That's great that you have been able to stick with it and are in such good shape! :thumbsup:

Hubby and I were hooked on Blacklist until they left us hanging until the next season — and no new season yet, so still hanging...but ready to take it up again when it comes. That is the thing I both love and hate about Netflix...let's me watch a season as if I were reading a book; a chapter a day or the whole book in a day (we once watched ALL the Battlestar Galactica series in a week :crazy:) I heard Netflix took over Longmire, so I'm looking forward to catching up with it again one of these days.

Mo :smitten:

Hehe I have a friend of a friend who put the whole 2nd season on a thumb drive shhhhhhhhhhh  :thumbsup:

I don't know how he did it, don't want to know.....hahaha  :laugh:

Well I got a good surf in after all. Turned out it wasn't windy like I thought it would be. I love having low expectations and being surprised! I hope the conditions hold up tomorrow too.  ;)

Well I got a good surf in after all. Turned out it wasn't windy like I thought it would be. I love having low expectations and being surprised! I hope the conditions hold up tomorrow too.  ;)

Wonder,

Where do you go surfing at?

Ninj  :thumbsup:

Hi all,

16.5 mile bike ride today :)

I am healing for sure! I just realized today that I'm no longer "wiped" for 24 hours after exercise. I get "recovered" feeling after 4-6 hours. Praise God! :)

Happy Sunday to you all :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi all,

I am healing for sure! I just realized today that I'm no longer "wiped" for 24 hours after exercise. I get "recovered" feeling after 4-6 hours. Praise God! :)

That's awesome, I try to mountain bike every other day  :thumbsup: I did 7 miles yesterday, it feels so good when you are done

don't you?

3 walks in 3 days.

Save you applause buddies  :D

Kiddo,

Anything works, we do what we can to keep the blood flowing & get the heart rate up.  Good job!  :thumbsup:

Keep it up!

3 walks in 3 days.

Save you applause buddies  :D

Too funny Kiddo! We'll applaud anyway. :thumbsup:

Ninj I surf around Santa Cruz. Mostly north where it's less crowded. I should add mountain biking to get more lower body work. I live where there's tons of trails so I have no excuses.  ::)

Great job Mrs!

Hi all,

That's awesome, I try to mountain bike every other day  :thumbsup: I did 7 miles yesterday, it feels so good when you are done

don't you?

Yes, I still feel a bit tired directly post workout, but it does feel good anyways!!!

My husband LOVES to mountain bike, FYI!! Too bad you don't live where we do!

Hey wonder...we're pretty close to each other.  I live south of SF and try to bike in San Bruno area.  Can't handle the hills yet.  I rarely just to a ride along the bay.

[6b...]

After one of the hardest days of anxiety/fear yesterday I got out of bed after miserable sleep to exercise. My cog fog was a ten on a 1-10 scale.  I gently walked two miles and my cog fog lifted as the day went on.  I've decided when in a wave like I am it is only walking or gentle exercise for me. I believe the jogging revved me too much. 

Mo-thx for the migrain info. I get terrible tension and migraine.  I had them pre benzo but nothing like this.  I currently am taking 400mg of mag per day, I meditate twice a day, and get cranial focused massages at least once a week. I've recently incorporated the massage and magnesium.  I also never eat processed foods unless I'm stuck(I'm a great cook and live in SF so we get some great foods here). TV and computer I spend too much time on but I need distractions.

I also just went gluten free as my doc mentioned there are studies saying it helps.

Really appreciate everything you listed.

Wow, do I totally empathize with you! Been there...wait, I actually AM there. :P You are already doing all the stuff my neuro has me doing, which pretty much banished the migraines until I started benzo w/d. I have actually been considering giving up gluten (saw those studies, too) since starting the w/d has made my headaches come back, but it just seems like one more thing to give up. I would be really interested to know how that works out for you. My neuro wrote me a prescription for one of the new magnetic stimulating wonderwoman headbands (Cefaly brand), but I am not sure I want to add that to benzo w/d and she is not quite sure either, although for "normal" people about 50% of people it seems to help.

I also hear you on the TV and computer as distraction. I'm currently totally hooked on the new Hawaii Five-0, which is sooo not my usual taste (I'm more of a Downton Abbey, Foyle's War, Forever, Bones fan), but all this cold weather and talk of surfing got me going on good HI memories, so figured I'd use them to the max! I guess there's no Shaka emoticon... :)

Hi MO and drew,

I have a history of migraines. They have gotten worse. I'm going to incorporate some of these practices into my daily routine. I of course can't do it all.

Good Stuff  :thumbsup:. Thanks

Yeah Drew. I was born and raised in San Mateo, then moved to the Santa Cruz Mtns about 4 years ago. You're really close to my old stomping grounds!

[6b...]

Mosart,

Hi Ninja, making me jealous again. I have always wanted to have veins that pop out :(. I think some of that is genetic. Not everyone can get that. It's like the 6 pack thing.

I had the biggest crush on James Spader back in the 80's  :smitten:.

[6b...]

I was wondering since this is a exercise support group if anyone is interested in sharing diet and recipe ideas?

So many choices out there and I want to dump some weight and gain energy so I can shred on my mountain bike (well maybe not shred) but ride again  :laugh:.

Some of my choices:

• Gluten Free

• Paleio

• Low Carb

• Vegetarian

• Vegan

• Semi Vegetarian

• Kosher

• Raw Foods Diet

• Amputation Diet

• Tongue Patch Diet

• Prison loaf Diet

• High Residue Diet

• Baby Food Diet

• Shangri-la Diet

• Breatharianism

• Last chance Diet

I'm just joking around of course. I seriously get confused because there is so much information and it's hard to be to limiting when you are pressed for time and have to feed a family. I have done so much research and have just ended up overwhelmed  :o.

I need things I can fix quick. Low carb/Paleio is what I try to stick with as a guide.

Maybe we can explore this more here.

VG

This is a great idea VG! It's so important to eat right, especially in WD. There's so much conflicting info out there it would be interesting to exchange ideas. I've narrowed my diet to what I think is pretty healthy and sensible. I still indulge now and then, but mostly stick to fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts, and moderate amounts of whole grains. Also dairy in moderation. It helps that we have chickens, so I get fresh eggs whenever I want!

VG,

I try to do Paleo mostly.  I have never been picky about food, I could eat the same thing just about everyday & some people

can't have the same thing two days in a row.  Food has never been a big deal to me.

Today for example I had a couple of hard boiled eggs in the morning, then I will snack on nuts.  I usually keep a tupperware

handy of almonds, walnuts, pecans with some dark chocolate chips all mixed together.

For lunch I was in a hurry, so I went thru a Carls Junior & got their All Natual burger & had it lettuce wrapped. And for dinner I

will usually have some fish & veggies or chicken & veggies.  I stay away from sugar as best I can & carbs.

I know there are alot of Paleo cookbooks out there but I have to keep it as simple as I can, because I eat for myself & my wife

will cook for the kids & herself.  I am on this alone in my family  :laugh:

My wife mentioned to me the other day, I just can't eat like you  :laugh: food is important & taste is important to her, it's not to

me. 

If I could convert my wife to eat like I do then I would probably get more detailed about making it via a cookbook.

She actually dragged me down to the bike store Friday to help her buy a mountain bike  :thumbsup: I will keep it on the street for

her, she has no dirt experience at all but wants to exercise with me, that's awesome !

By the way, she & my family were up in Bend Friday, Sat & just got back a few hours ago.  They were helping my daughters boyfriend

move his stuff down here because he is done with school there.  :thumbsup: they said it was beautiful weather there.

By the way, the veins freak me out.  I have asked 2 doctors about it & they said it's very healthy & you are just lean  :laugh: it still

freaks me out tho, especially the back of my legs.  Someone told me all the guys doing steroids in the gym would kill to have those

veins  :laugh:

Have a great evening my mountain biking compadre'  :thumbsup:

This is a great idea VG! It's so important to eat right, especially in WD. There's so much conflicting info out there it would be interesting to exchange ideas. I've narrowed my diet to what I think is pretty healthy and sensible. I still indulge now and then, but mostly stick to fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts, and moderate amounts of whole grains. Also dairy in moderation. It helps that we have chickens, so I get fresh eggs whenever I want!

Talk about indulging, my wife went out of town & had to bring home a tray of Cinnamon Cinnamon rolls.  With this diet that I am on I

have an issue with sugar, if I eat one......it always turns to two.  I have no STOP button when it comes to cookies & sugary type

desserts.  :laugh: So I try to avoid it at all costs but she does this to me, it's so not fair  :idiot:

I avoid grains & dairy but do the lean meat.  We usually buy half a beef that is grass fed & chicken that is free roaming from local

people we know here in Oregon.  And keep it in a chest freezer in the garage, that way we know what we are eating & where from.

I have switched from dairy to coconut milk, I don't eat cereal but will use the coconut milk in my coffees.

I agree diet has a very important role in our tapering & this is a good place to share ideas  :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, sugar is my downfall too :laugh: Cinnamon rolls sound great.

Cookies, brownies, ice cream, cheese cake etc. It's all a problem.

Hi everyone,  :hug: yesterday I managed to push my prior 20 minutes walk in the woodland to forty minutes yesterday which ramped up the ever present sxs ::) and was then aided and abetted by Magnesium Chloride foot soak which ramped them up even more!!! :D :D

But I am still going to try get out again today as long as I can move as I will not let fear of ''what if'' keep me a prisoner or dictate my life to me. You can't live on 'what ifs??'' its better to live on what if I try to do it and see how far I can get.  :-\

If you can't do it today its not a failure neither is further down the road than that. Its just not time for it yet but when it is, it will happen. You can't argue with Universal law, and certainly not your body even if you say GO!! and it say's NO!!  >:(

Then its just rest up and wait for the time and place to open up, I also take my Cell phone with me as like my friend used to say 'Preparation is the key''  :thumbsup: Anything unexpected  I can't do alone,I will then I'll ring the bloody police to come and get me, :police: its that simple. I may tell myself that no matter what I can get myself back home some how, I also have to let common sense prevail right now too ;).

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

ValleyGirl-good morning. I hope that you had a great night sleep. The diet that I have been on for a couple of years is a low carb, low sugar, low fat diet. It's one of the most healthiest diets. You can eat lot's of fruit (natural sugar), lots of vegetables, tons of protein, salmon, chicken, turkey burgers etc. Since I went off Valium I have added some carbs into my diet since I lost some weight. What this diet does is it trains you to look at every ingredient and look at the carb, fat, sugar content. If you're interested in hearing more about all of the foods on this diet please let me know. It's almost like the HCG diet but without injecting yourself with HCG. My husband is over weight and he has been on the HCG diet and he lost 40 pds after being on it (and he barely exercises). I have added some very healthy snacks into my diet now that are good for your brain. I eat flax seed, chia seeds, almonds, unsalted peanuts, granola, sunflower seeds and hummus. I'm at whole foods every day...haha

Fran

Like some of you, I've had wicked cravings for sweets during all of this. My taste buds aren't normal yet and it just feels good to eat something that tastes sweet when much of the rest of the time I'm just forcing food in.

Helpful comment Nova, to be kind to ourselves on the days we can't do much. That's just a reality. I also walk with my cell phone in case I find I can't make it back. Haven't had to make the call yet but I often wonder how I'll make it home when I set out :)