Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Ninja-I've heard Oregon has some of the best surf on our whole coast! I think Seaside is the place I've heard about, but it's supposedly very localized so I would get heckled out of the water, being from CA :laugh:

Wonder,

Just tell them you know me, I am kind of a bid deal ya know  :laugh:

ninj  :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

good morning everyone...I am 11 months off today and will post an update on my blog.  I did wnat to mention to kiddo and everyone else not to be discouraged if at times you can't exercise at all.  I have repeatedly gone in and out of being able to do it.  When I am in a wave I will rev from a simple walk and when I am in a window I can do lots more and still be fine.  The important thing is to keep getting back in the saddle and get over the discouragement you may feel quickly.  You will feel discouraged time and time again.  it is only natural but we all do heal.  :smitten:

Hit the gym this morning and added 10 lbs to all my exercises ! I'm feeling it too, lol. But it's a good pain and not the GABBA hell we're all enduring. I'm still out there, but nothing like it's been for me. My mind is going at a good pace, but I'm not full of frustration or depression. Actually, I feel more tired than anything right now. But I have things to do and am getting with it here after lunch.

Hope everyone has a most wonderful day today.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comforting and encouraging words FJ and Drew. I needed them.

After a zero sleep night I had a ton to do today. I dragged myself to exercise class and then pushed myself to lift more when I did weights afterwards. I feel like I have all of you supporting me when I do this. It's a battle with myself but I feel I absolutely have to have the endorphins and do every thing I can to facilitate sleep. I see that I'm getting physically stronger and a bit more stamina but it hasn't helped with the fatigue yet. Still, I'm thankful.

Happy exercising *and* holding for when you need to take care of yourselves and rest.

My brain was buzzing and my ear hissing after three meetings today.  Did a lunch meditation and just walked 2.5 miles to calm my cns.  Good job everyone!

It's great you did all that with how you felt after the meetings. I'm glad it helped. I assume your migraine is long gone? I hope so.

Hooray Drew. Glad you're seeing some improvement.

Even though I got some sleep last night I find I'm absolutely wiped out today. I'm white knuckling it through work. I feel sleepy but my past experience is that feeling fades away by night time when it would be welcome. Today won't be an exercise day but tomorrow should work out.

I had to go back and see when you started this group Drew :) it's been almost 3 weeks, wow, time flies, right? Glad your migraines are getting better. I've been walking 2 miles and doing weights almost every day, only had a few days where I couldn't do it. I have to say it's really no easier with the uptick in sxs still happening. Very discouraging truthfully, nothing else to do but keep trying and making it through every day. We are awesome :smitten: just keep going everyone :thumbsup:

Well, it was the end of my second week at the gym today and I'm looking forward to Monday already. I think I'm getting hooked on this, as I did so many years ago when I worked out. Today when I finished, I actually wanted to do more and Monday I will be adding not just weight to my work out but more exercises as well.

Hope everyone has a great day and Happy Easter.

Hey all!

wanted to jump in on this thread!  firm believer in the healing power of exercise.  It is hard sometimes to get to the gym but 80% of the time i make myself go and always feel better afterwards.

Anyways thanks for being here!

stay strong,

sharkey

Good job Sharkey, Lakeside and Saga. Every bit of exercise we can do helps. This fight for our recovery is worth it!

Just finished a 3.5 mile mountan hike.  I did got some panicky feelings at top of hill but I just told myself I can't trust how my body feels. I feel like I'm dying when it happens but I really don't know how that feels since I never died.  That leads me to my alternative thought statement of "how I feel is lie and shouldn't be worth a grain of salt!" :crazy:

I like how you deal with your mind, Drew. I feel like I have two minds sometimes. The one that continually says (and feels like) "I can't do it. It's impossible," etc. and the one that counters it and says we're just going to take it one step at a time.

Again working out felt impossible today but I pushed past the inner trash talk and was thankful I did. Even tired the exercise feels good and instills some hope. I do wish I could shut up my inner trash talk but I guess not believing it is going to have to be good enough for a while until I stop channeling Eeyore.

Yup...my mind is so conditioned to go to automatic catastrophe and fear that I need to retrain my mind to look at thinks differently when they occur.  It's not so easy to keep our minds rational all the time though.  That's when the benzo beast wins.  :sick:  Great job on the gym :smitten:

Typing this in an Epsom salt bath and the iPad just slipped and I made a miraculous catch an inch above water :D

MTFan-Great job exercising today!! When I first went off Valium I had a fear of going into the supermarket. I forced myself into it every time and I used to say to my brain "Stop it...I have been going to the supermarket my entire life and what's to be scared about going into the supermarket". I also had a fear of driving my son to college on the highway. I forced myself to do it and I was not going to let the benzo win!!

For those of us who talk to ourselves to cope with what's going on (the positive self-talk thing and "stop it") here's a funny link with Bob Newhart on how to cope with irrational thoughts/beliefs: https://vimeo.com/97370236

Makes me laugh. Hopefully you will to exercisers.

Good morning everyone!! Last night I read some very interesting post on BB about GABA and exercise. Please see the link below. It was written by Bart (a BB member a couple of years ago)...Wishing everyone a beautiful day and Happy Easter.

With benzo use when they say gaba receptor function is downregulated what happens is many individual gaba receptors are lost as they are no longer needed. In recovery, gene expression has to increase, mRNA  probably goes up and more gaba receptors are then manufactured. There is no known way to speed this process up with the possible exception of exercise.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18801833 . Exercise also increases BDNF (brain derived neurotropic factor) which increases neurogenesis (growing new nerves in the brain). Not everyone can exercise because it also stimulates norepinephrine, cortisol and other adrenocorticotropic hormones which revs up symptoms. If you are able to exercise, by all means do it. Lucky for you. You may heal faster as long as you do not overdo it. Listen to your body.

Bart-that's the only thing that has saved me. Working out 2 1/2 hours a day now. My blood pressure has never been so fab and sleep is being restored again.

Fran