Exercise support group

[dr...]

Longdistancerunner You should never exercise 3 hours before bed time. My shrink told me to get off the computer 2 hours before going to bed because the light on the computer interacts with rem sleep....

Fran

Hey Fran,

I know! I figured it would be better for my anxiety to exercise later than not at all...obviously that didn't work. Bleh. I also took a hot bath afterwards and tried going to sleep an hour earlier than I normally do. So I was all hot and bothered (and not in a good sexy way  >:D).

longdistancerunner - well if you are not going to get that kind of night action, here are my two favorite "go to sleep" listens...

I start with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tF14GnCJqk&index=3&list=PLz21meG_6NQ2rfn6NlM15v9HORNwtSLiJ (kind of new agey and big on promises, but it puts me to sleep nearly every time!)

and then I have my you tube channel set to follow the above immediately with this:

(no words, but runs 8 hours long and something about the music puts me back to sleep if I awaken)

I will warn you that both youtube programs have ads at the start of the program, however, somehow my husband set my playlist up so there are NO ads (I don't know how to do this but it probably tells you somewhere) so I don't get jarred awake between tapes. One thing I have noticed is that it is almost like "biofeedback"...I am so accustomed to falling asleep to these that when I hear them, my body responds most of the time by falling asleep!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Longdistance for the mediation recommendations. I'll try them tonight. I hope we all have good sleep tonight.

Thank you Mindseeker for the encouragement about sleep. When I can sleep again I'm going to feel like I've really made progress.

For those of you who are frustrated by on-line ads, have you checked out the free program Adblock? I love it and never see intrusive commercials any more. It's on my computer and phone.

Keep the exercise and inspiration coming BB!

MTFan-I promise you that you are going to sleep again. Sleep is such a powerful tool that it will comes back. If I can sleep and I am only 11 weeks off Valium you will sleep too. Everyone heals just keep saying that!!!

Wishing you good sleep tonight.

Fran

Longdistancerunner You should never exercise 3 hours before bed time. My shrink told me to get off the computer 2 hours before going to bed because the light on the computer interacts with rem sleep....

Fran

Hey Fran,

I know! I figured it would be better for my anxiety to exercise later than not at all...obviously that didn't work. Bleh. I also took a hot bath afterwards and tried going to sleep an hour earlier than I normally do. So I was all hot and bothered (and not in a good sexy way  >:D).

longdistancerunner - well if you are not going to get that kind of night action, here are my two favorite "go to sleep" listens...

I start with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tF14GnCJqk&index=3&list=PLz21meG_6NQ2rfn6NlM15v9HORNwtSLiJ (kind of new agey and big on promises, but it puts me to sleep nearly every time!)

and then I have my you tube channel set to follow the above immediately with this:

(no words, but runs 8 hours long and something about the music puts me back to sleep if I awaken)

I will warn you that both youtube programs have ads at the start of the program, however, somehow my husband set my playlist up so there are NO ads (I don't know how to do this but it probably tells you somewhere) so I don't get jarred awake between tapes. One thing I have noticed is that it is almost like "biofeedback"...I am so accustomed to falling asleep to these that when I hear them, my body responds most of the time by falling asleep!

I will definitely check these out. Thank you mosart  ;D

Fran, I fucked up there too! I was telling myself I won't look at the clock, and then I did..and obviously got more irritated. Oh well, lesson learned. Onto the next night :)

Have a wonderful evening everyone. I hope we all wake up stronger tomorrow from all this working out we are doing!

I use to take spin class three times a week, and additionally cycle outside for 12 miles once a week. I use to have a gym membership.  About 5 years ago, I had a health scare from a routine scan of my heart.  The doctors office called and said to stop all exercise and have cardiac angiography.  Fortunately, all vessels turned out to be clear!  Unfortunately, the scare broke my routine and I've never been able to pick it up again.

I tapered from May to December 2014, so at the end of March it will be 3 months off klonopin.  Not feeling healthy.  Body aches, joint pain, fatigue.  A lot of the time I feel like I've been hit by a truck.  Signed up for an open pass for exercise classes at the college: yoga, spinning, pilates/yoga combo etc. plus taking 2 mile walks a couple times a week.  This is a struggle.  I can't lie.  I'm going, but there's no feel good in it :sick:

Will this get better?  What are the aches and flu feeling all about?  When will some endorphins kick in?

Thank you for the support.  You folks are an inspiration!

Yes, it will all get better. Achey flu like feelings and body pains are all "normal" in WD. I have really bad left shoulder pain/stiffness when in a wave, that's simply nonexistent in a window. Go figure.

Thank you, Wondernova.  This means a lot!

You're welcome. And you got yourself off Klonopin after 20 years, so YOU'RE the inspiration around here!  :thumbsup:

Hi exercise folks. I've been pretty active my whole life, starting with basketball from the time I was little till my mid 30s. At 34 I took up surfing, but stopped for the year I was on Klonopin (Aug. '12-Aug. '13). As I got deep into my taper in the Spring of '14, I started surfing about 5 days a week and have continued that to this day. I feel like it's been one of the main reasons I was able to last through acute, and post acute. In fact, when I was at my worst it was just about the only thing that kept me wanting to live.

I've read many posts by folks that exercise has had a negative impact on their recovery, and I'm truly sorry to hear that. I've had the opposite experience and just wanted to post my story. I actually get wonderful windows after surfing that can last for a few hours. I think it has to do with an activity that keeps me present, kinda like what some folks get out of meditation etc. Anyway, that's my experience. Keep up all the good work exercisers, and to the folks that can't do much, just keep doing what you can!  :thumbsup:

Surfing got me through some of the worst of times in wd. What break(s) do you surf?

Hey Laser. I usually surf the less crowded breaks north of Santa Cruz. Waddell, 3 Mile, Greyhound Rock, Scott Creek, Ano Nuevo etc. If it's windy I'll go into town. Steamer Lane.

I just got back from my first trip to Big Sur. Sand Dollar and Willow Creek.

I remember during my taper days you gave me some encouragement. Thanks, you were right. Things got a lot better. Still dealing with some stuff, but much better.

If I remember correct you surf in So Cal right?

Will this get better?  What are the aches and flu feeling all about?  When will some endorphins kick in?

Thank you for the support.  You folks are an inspiration!

Yes, it will all get better. Achey flu like feelings and body pains are all "normal" in WD. I have really bad left shoulder pain/stiffness when in a wave, that's simply nonexistent in a window. Go figure.

Yes, this flu thing is a big "norm" for me, slight fever too, and then it simply passes, have been getting it very frequently since tolerance w/d ... dealing with it today, in fact, ugh!  >:(  So it's going to be a bare minimum day for sure.

Yesterday, three half hour dog walks including some geriatric jogging.  I challenge myself by counting each left foot step, very high tech.  :idiot:  Waiting for when football fields aren't so wet and muddy, then I use them as my gauge.  So, 400 itsy bitsy steps was all I could muster yesterday ... along with the odd quick yank stops when my dog felt the "gotta check out that smell" compulsion!  :D 

Mrs, you're putting me to shame there!  I've been threatening to go biking with friends for way too long now, I live close to the most beautiful natural park, gorgeous bike riding trails.  Maybe this whole accountability thing will make me finally actually do it!  :thumbsup:

My contribution for the insomniacs, this one I really like. 

:smitten:

Wondernova! (And possibly drew, if it still applies to you)

I was reading up on some gentle digestive stimulants, and was reading the health benefits of aloe vera juice, and found the part on its effects on lowering blood pressure kinda neat! I was reading here: http://www.naturalhealthadvisory.com/daily/cholesterol-control/6-health-benefits-of-aloe-vera-juice-for-your-heart/

Thought you might find it interesting too!! :) Its also helpful with tryglicerides and cholesterol, from what it looks like :)

Onward!

Mrs. :smitten:

Wow Mrs! It sounds like Aloe is a nutrient power house! I'm going to bring this up to my Dr. before I agree to medication. Thanks for this. My BP and the palps really have me down lately.

Feeling dizzy so cant do much but I will post even on days when I don't do so well- to keep myself accountable. walked 8000 steps today which is 3 miles. Knowing I am to post here today made me make some effort- so better then nothing especially when I don't feel well. :thumbsup:  For all of you writing on surfing- just my thought- I really think the sea is healing. I don't surf but I regularly go to the beach winter and summer- something about the water and the air. Can just imagine what surfing does!

Have a great weekend

:smitten:

[37...]

I did my 45 minutes of cardio this morning, but I'm afraid I can't walk home from work because of freezing rain. Going to take the train.

Bummer. I'm actually enjoying my exercise now and miss it when I can't do it.

Wondernova and Laserjet, I envy those of you near the ocean. Surfing sounds like a lot of fun.  :)

Hi mrs....I have that in my fridge.  I tried it when I had major benzo belly problems.  Couldn't tell what it was doing as I was getting my gut beat up and nothing would help. 

Hi all...I'm trying to get past migraines and major headaches everyday.  Started a new supp and hopeful.  Haven't been able to do much beyond work and get home :sick:  I'm impressed how well so many of you are doing.  :thumbsup:

[37...]

Hi mrs....I have that in my fridge.  I tried it when I had major benzo belly problems.  Couldn't tell what it was doing as I was getting my gut beat up and nothing would help. 

Hi all...I'm trying to get past migraines and major headaches everyday.  Started a new supp and hopeful.  Haven't been able to do much beyond work and get home :sick:  I'm impressed how well so many of you are doing.  :thumbsup:

Hang in there, Drew. You started this great group and we appreciate it. We're here to encourage even when you can't work out.

Hope you feel better soon.  :)

Hi Drew28 THANK YOU for starting this group. I am sorry to hear that you are having headaches. I did not have a great night sleep last night but I did not let that deter me from working out this AM. Got to keep the endorphins up:)

Sending you good vibes.

Fran :)

PS Drew is my son's name!!

I'm happy for you surfers. It's good to hear about what you, and others, are able to do.

I got nailed with the benzo flu and fever yesterday and today. I wanted to exercise but just wasn't able to pull it off today. Everything felt like too much effort. I hope to take a long power walk tomorrow.

How do others of you deal with discouragement on bad days? I hate the feeling of taking a step backwards.

I forced myself out for a 15 minute walk, moderate pace. Plan on doing this twice a day for a week or two to build up some endurance. It was actually kind of nice.

We all have to start somewhere  :thumbsup:

I just chalk up a "wonky" day being what it is - just a wonky day :P Tomorrow is fresh :) Just start anew!

Today I went for a 5-mile walk! I walked to our ice rink to meet my husband. Google Maps said it was 3.5 miles, but my tracker said it was over 5! :o Oh well :P It was a beautiful evening with a gorgeous sunset over the river, so I just took my time and enjoyed it :)

Happy first day of spring to you all!

Mrs. :smitten:

On bad days I often try and power through, and that tends to bite me you know where sometimes. Some days the only thing to do is get under a blanket and say see ya' tomorrow world. I think that's okay. It doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down, just keep getting up! Did I get that cliche right? :laugh:

I'm happy to hear everybody is getting out there and moving! Keep up the good work. My 48 hr shift is over so I'm starting my surf week tomorrow. Can't wait!

On bad days I often try and power through, and that tends to bite me you know where sometimes. Some days the only thing to do is get under a blanket and say see ya' tomorrow world. I think that's okay. It doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down, just keep getting up! Did I get that cliche right? :laugh:

I'm happy to hear everybody is getting out there and moving! Keep up the good work. My 48 hr shift is over so I'm starting my surf week tomorrow. Can't wait!

Awesome. Looks like up to 5 ft sets in your hood this weekend.  Usually, after 2 hrs I'm beat and need to call it a day. I'm pushing a longboard and my deltoids burn out after so many strokes. I really give it 110% on those last few digs to catch the wave. Several months ago when one of those big hurricanes bleow through from the Pacific, I went out with my daughter in 15+ ft waves. It was beyond insane. We didnt catch a single wave, they were way too big, we were lucky just to survive paddling out and back a few times. Theres a lot of circulating youtube footage of that Wednesday in history (e.g at Newport's Wedge).

laser

Awesome. Looks like up to 5 ft sets in your hood this weekend.  Usually, after 2 hrs I'm beat and need to call it a day. I'm pushing a longboard and my deltoids burn out after so many strokes. I really give it 110% on those last few digs to catch the wave. Several months ago when one of those big hurricanes bleow through from the Pacific, I went out with my daughter in 15+ ft waves. It was beyond insane. We didnt catch a single wave, they were way too big, we were lucky just to survive paddling out and back a few times. Theres a lot of circulating youtube footage of that Wednesday in history (e.g at Newport's Wedge).

laser

I remember the hurricane swell. We had walls that looked a 1/4 mile long rolling in! I watched a couple 15-20 footers break and went home. That is not for me.  :o I got to paddle around in some 10-12 ft sets last year, and caught a couple 8 footers but anything over 10 ft is survival mode for me. :laugh:

I've seen the wedge on youtube before. Looks like a powerfull wave. It breaks in shallow water right?

I love long boarding, but I'm trying to transition down for some variety. I'm currently on a 7'6" single fin. I usually do 2 hrs too, unless it's perfect conditions then I try to stay for 3, but my arms are completely jelly at that point. I don't know what it is about WD, but I'm finding it impossible to increase my endurance.

I doubled down on the walking, was very pleased with myself  :laugh: then was smacked with the benzo flu and bailed yesterday.  :sick: Guess I'm like everyone else, trying not to beat myself up when its too much to push through. Agree, Nova, maybe just accept those days and move on :thumbsup:

Thanks for the meditation links everyone.  AF, I agree with using sleep hygiene, I've followed that plan (mostly)for years. It was an enormous help during my taper. Sleep issues began post taper for me, they seem to come in cycles. Hoping the exercise will help even it all out. Plus it can't hurt ;)

I love reading what everyone is doing :) keep it up, you're inspiring me :smitten: