Exercise support group

[dr...]

[eb...]

Looks like we're all doing well with our exercise.  :)

I did my cardio this morning, and then I walked for over two hours this evening. I'm tired!

Does anyone know of any studies on whether exercising outside is better than inside?

The reason I'm asking is because my akathisia seems to only respond to outside exercise. And I'm wondering if there might be some science behind why that is.

Kind of an odd question, but it's kind of an odd life right now.

Mindseeker,

If I had to venture a guess, I would say it's due to Vitamin D from the sun that you aren't getting indoors. Coincidentally, it also helps regulate circadian rhythm (fight insomnia!) and sleep when you exercise outdoors. Here is an interesting research article about vitamin D and protective effects on the central nervous system. http://www.if-pan.krakow.pl/pjp/pdf/2013/2_271.pdf

Thanks, LDR. I got 6 good hours of sleep last night after 45 minutes of cardio and a total of 7 miles of walking at lunch and then after work.

Seems to help with akathisia, too.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[eb...]

Longdistance, fabulous quote. Thanks for sharing.

Mosart, I really got the fitbit to help track my sleep and also look for patterns with my level of activity and the wicked insomnia. It's helpful to look at my graph in the morning because it shows how restless my sleep was or, recently, that I get occasional 2 hour breaks where I'm not restless. So I can see progress. I was counting steps though when I was almost housebound and barely moving.

Mindseeker, I haven't seen anything about outside being better than inside but it could have something to do with how the light hits our optic nerves causing us to secrete hormones and brain chemicals differently.

MTfan - Well, now I REALLY want to get a Fit Bit if it does all that...I DO love gadgets and this does sound like it would be useful. Thanks for that info!

Mindseeker - You're right, there is some excellent data suggesting that morning sunshine (before 11am) does hit the retina and stimulate the pineal gland, which communicates with the neuroendocrine system and helps produce melatonin, which then promotes sleep at night and that those with insomnia will often respond better to exercise, morning sunlight and a bedtime "routine" than to sleeping pills. I don't do much exercise right now, but I do make sure I do my 10 minutes of morning yoga calisthenics in the sun room or in front of a window — I live in wilds of the frozen north and there is 6' of snow out there right now and a high of 12° today so until I have the balance and energy to get back on my snow shoes and xc skis, I'm exercising indoors. But, I can't WAIT to get outside and spring is on it's way!

Hey, mosart. Interesting that it's "morning sunshine". Yes, I think a lot of us are going to benefit from spring. Hope you're able to get outside to exercise soon.

Can I join in. I use to be an avid cyclist. I started riding to help with trauma and depression.  I can hardly walk some days. When I exercise it really make my sxs's worse. I think this thread is a great idea. I have read some of your posts and I'm very inspired. All I do is lay around and eat these day when I'm not working, taking care of the house, family and fighting the Benzo's so when it comes to exercise it's a challenge.

I would love some help getting off the couch and putting the ice cream away  :laugh:.

Hi Mosart

Welcome valleygirl! We all had to start somewhere. I was very motivated to pick up running seriously again by the book by Dr. John Ratey -  Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. It goes in depth about how exercise affects mental processes. It sums up dozens of medical research articles in a very easy to read way. I always knew that exercise was good for you, but to have exact science behind it really kicked my butt in gear. If anyone needs more motivation, please consider reading that book!

Great job Mindseeker! Do you keep track of how often you exercise? I printed out a basic MS Word calendar template and put it on the fridge. I mark when I work out. It keeps me honest  ;D

Hi mrsalw! Good to see you on this thread :)

[eb...]

Can I join in. I use to be an avid cyclist. I started riding to help with trauma and depression.  I can hardly walk some days. When I exercise it really make my sxs's worse. I think this thread is a great idea. I have read some of your posts and I'm very inspired. All I do is lay around and eat these day when I'm not working, taking care of the house, family and fighting the Benzo's so when it comes to exercise it's a challenge.

I would love some help getting off the couch and putting the ice cream away  :laugh:.

Hi Mosart

Welcome valleygirl! We all had to start somewhere. I was very motivated to pick up running seriously again by the book by Dr. John Ratey -  Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. It goes in depth about how exercise affects mental processes. It sums up dozens of medical research articles in a very easy to read way. I always knew that exercise was good for you, but to have exact science behind it really kicked my butt in gear. If anyone needs more motivation, please consider reading that book!

Great job Mindseeker! Do you keep track of how often you exercise? I printed out a basic MS Word calendar template and put it on the fridge. I mark when I work out. It keeps me honest  ;D

Hey, LDR. Yep, I log it in my Progress Log. I keep up with cardio and walking, but I'm bad about forgetting to list my yoga because it's usually late at night.

I have the book Spark. I read it a couple of years ago but I can't remember it (I lost 2 - 3 years of memories). I'll have to get it out and read it again - thanks for mentioning it.  :)

I also read "Younger Next Year for Women" by Chris Crowley. Every time I hear a medical "expert" say that even a walk around the block is good exercise, I won't to hit them over the head with this book! That's so not true. This book explains why. I just wish the medical "experts" would be honest about how important cardio workouts are.

Just back from the gym....I drag myself there 4-5 days a week after school drop off. I almost bagged it today and came home, I felt unwell. But....I wanted to post here so that drove me to go and do it! Didn't feel good, at home in bed now, still doesn't feel good. But that's not the point. It IS good and will help me recover faster. I do believe it is one of the few things we can do to speed healing.

Drew THANK YOU for starting this group I was actually thinking of starting one, hence I am so happy to be part of it.

I am 100% convinced that exercise has and is currently helping expedite my healing. I am 51 years old and I am in excellent health. I have been working out for the past 23 years 7 days a week. I have been on a low carb, low fat, low sugar diet for years. I have continued to work out daily since I c/t off of Valium on 12-31-14. Considering all of the  s/x I have been blessed to only have a few s/x. The only Vitamins that I take is Vitamin D drops (I'm low in Vitamin D) and I am starting B12 drops today. I eat very healthy and I have been eating healthy for years. I weigh 107 pds and I am all muscle. My daily work out consists of working out for 2 hours a day. I start on my elliptical for 65 minutes on a resistance of 4. I recently started to walk on my treadmill at a speed of 3.1 but on an incline of 5.3 for 35 minutes (I couldn't do that incline when I first came off a Benzo). My shrink told me to lift more weights because there was a recent study that lifting weights has something to do with the back of your brain and healing. I normally do 30 leg presses per day and now I am lifting100 weight lifts per day. I also use a TRX and I do 30 butt squats a day. I have noticed that on mornings when I wake up feeling 'blah" as soon as I exercise or lift weights I experience euphoria. It's truly incredible and I only wish I could market the feeling. I have never suffered from depression my entire life.

My sleep is starting to return and I am only 10 weeks off of valium. I am not 100% my self yet but I do know that I am getting much better. A lot of my symptoms have abated (anxiety, fear, high BP, fast pulse). I can not stress how important exercise is and how much it has helped me. I can't fathom where I would be without it. If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. If you haven't exercised your entire life that's okay I'm not here to judge anyone, however I would recommend on days that you are feeling better you should start with a 30 minute walk. I lift 40 pd weights but there is nothing wrong with lifting 5 pd weights. Everything in moderation!!

I wish everyone a speedy recovery and sending good vibes!!

Francesca:)

Drew just noticed this group and read through it..and thanks for starting it..i need to get into a routine thats for sure.. but i am just so tired most of the time i cant find the motivation to even walk around the block..I am 56 and have lost 130lbs went from 260 to 130 and have had it off for 5 yrs now..but during that time i have been so sick didnt do alot of toning and exercise and i need to build up stamina...I have been on 4mgs of k for 28 yrs and started my taper the end of june 14 and am now at around 2.4 so not quite halfway there yet...and i am on the run alot with what we do..we are auction haulers which mean some days i am on the go for 18 hrs but some of it is sitting in a truck riding to the auction but once there its helping unload our trailer and setting up and staying on my feet for hrs..then i also unload and load banana boxes of things from the trailer and reload other things..i also spend many hrs walking the stores and distributors every week but to me all of that is not true exercise ..i need to be able to ride a bike farther, walk farther without stopping, and get some cardio in my life..i think i have been in tolerance now for over 20 yrs.  I have the bike and the helmet now just have to get on it and go..I dont take any other meds except vitamin d as i am deficient in it. And i live in sunny florida..i also do all the bookwork and billing for my hubbys company also..so we stay busy and with the tapering i have had skipped and added heartbeats for yrs and a non dangerous heart murmur..so i am fine to exercise i am told..i have a total weight lifting set on our glassed in back porch but just cant seem to find any energy but now with this group maybe i can get myself started to regularly workout.

thanks again for starting this and will be back tomorrow to post what i got done..i dont guess that planting in a flower garden and digging is considered exercise huh..well i am trying.. :smitten:

deep

Welcome Valley Girl-I'm having a little wave as I type. I'm off to the gym now to lift some weights. I refuse to sit home all day and I know the waves come and go so I keep moving.

[30...]

Drew THANK YOU for starting this group I was actually thinking of starting one, hence I am so happy to be part of it.

I am 100% convinced that exercise has and is currently helping expedite my healing. I am 51 years old and I am in excellent health. I have been working out for the past 23 years 7 days a week. I have been on a low carb, low fat, low sugar diet for years. I have continued to work out daily since I c/t off of Valium on 12-31-14. Considering all of the  s/x I have been blessed to only have a few s/x. The only Vitamins that I take is Vitamin D drops (I'm low in Vitamin D) and I am starting B12 drops today. I eat very healthy and I have been eating healthy for years. I weigh 107 pds and I am all muscle. My daily work out consists of working out for 2 hours a day. I start on my elliptical for 65 minutes on a resistance of 4. I recently started to walk on my treadmill at a speed of 3.1 but on an incline of 5.3 for 35 minutes (I couldn't do that incline when I first came off a Benzo). My shrink told me to lift more weights because there was a recent study that lifting weights has something to do with the back of your brain and healing. I normally do 30 leg presses per day and now I am lifting100 weight lifts per day. I also use a TRX and I do 30 butt squats a day. I have noticed that on mornings when I wake up feeling 'blah" as soon as I exercise or lift weights I experience euphoria. It's truly incredible and I only wish I could market the feeling. I have never suffered from depression my entire life.

My sleep is starting to return and I am only 10 weeks off of valium. I am not 100% my self yet but I do know that I am getting much better. A lot of my symptoms have abated (anxiety, fear, high BP, fast pulse). I can not stress how important exercise is and how much it has helped me. I can't fathom where I would be without it. If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. If you haven't exercised your entire life that's okay I'm not here to judge anyone, however I would recommend on days that you are feeling better you should start with a 30 minute walk. I lift 40 pd weights but there is nothing wrong with lifting 5 pd weights. Everything in moderation!!

I wish everyone a speedy recovery and sending good vibes!!

AF, You are fantastic  :thumbsup:. I am more of an outdoor girl. I like to do Mountain and Road cycling.  It's true about the weight training but I'm not sure how I can fit that in on a tight schedule. Any suggestions about a plan. I have done some research but I always get confused because there are so many plans. I don't have the time to ride and lift in the same day. I am 51 also and use to be muscular. I also do a low carb diet and try not to consume sugar but cannot dump the weight I gained from surgery and Benzo's. I am also hypoglycemic and bonk easily so I know I need to supplement after a workout but do not want to use anything that will put on more weight. Hope I'm not being a pain in the butt  :laugh:.

Thanks for the inspiration  :smitten:.

VG

[30...]

Hi Mosart

Thanks for the warm welcome and book recommendation.  :)

Ok, this is going to become my accountability thread  :D  thanks Drew for starting this, and welcoming those of us who need to challenge ourselves to improve.

I've had so many stumbling blocks getting myself to move forward in this area, my previous attemptsat exercise ended due to an uptick in sxs I simply couldn't get past. It is now time for me to move forward, to get past the mindset when the uptick happens that I'm not going to die  ::)  :crazy:

It truly is my last frontier. I've walked a mile the last 2 days and did some light arm weights. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

:smitten:

Sags that is where I started, it's just creating  the routine that's important. Since I don't like it I'll never make time for it but it's on my way home so no excuses. I used to lay my clothes OIT the night before and wake up and walk or I would never ever do it. You'll find what works. If you are going to walk buy some hand weights as it will help you focus and pace and tone arms at same time!

AF, You are fantastic  :thumbsup:. I am more of an outdoor girl. I like to do Mountain and Road cycling.  It's true about the weight training but I'm not sure how I can fit that in on a tight schedule. Any suggestions about a plan. I have done some research but I always get confused because there are so many plans. I don't have the time to ride and lift in the same day. I am 51 also and use to be muscular. I also do a low carb diet and try not to consume sugar but cannot dump the weight I gained from surgery and Benzo's. I am also hypoglycemic and bonk easily so I know I need to supplement after a workout but do not want to use anything that will put on more weight. Hope I'm not being a pain in the butt  :laugh:.

VG

Hi Valley Girl-It's my pleasure to help you or anyone in this fabulous group. I work out every morning 7 days a week. What I suggest about getting the best routine for working out is to work out the same time every day. What I suggest you do is to start slowly and then increase your work out daily. I think you should use the elliptical for one day and then the next day you can ride a bike or walk on a treadmill or even go for a 30-45 minute walk outside. I don't know where you live so depending upon the weather. You should buy a TRX on line and you can use that in your house (it gets attached to a sturdy door). It comes with a manual showing you all of the exercises you can do. It was developed by a Navy Seal and it's fabulous!!

I do not work so I have the flexibility to go to my gym and lift weights after lunch (I have a treadmill and an elliptical in my basement) however I suggest that you buy some weights to work out with at home. I keep a set of 5 pds weights and 8 pd weights in my bedroom and if I can't go to the gym I do 6-7 different sets of arm weights. I started to body planks with 5 pd weights. Before I went to the gym I was having a little wave (my vision was a little blurry). I just left the gym and my waved passed and my vision is normal.  Today I lifted 120 weights (no more than 30-40 pds) and I rowed a bike which is very hard. I also did my usual leg presses and lounges while lifting a 5 pd weight over my head.  Maybe I should be a trainer? hahahahaha. I'm addicted to working out but I do know that it has helped me so much in my recovery. I have tons of positive energy, I am never tired, I have great blood pressure and very good cholesterol. Exercise plays a key factor in all of this for sure.

[30...]

VG

Hi Valley Girl-It's my pleasure to help you or anyone in this fabulous group. I work out every morning 7 days a week. What I suggest about getting the best routine for working out is to work out the same time every day. What I suggest you do is to start slowly and then increase your work out daily. I think you should use the elliptical for one day and then the next day you can ride a bike or walk on a treadmill or even go for a 30-45 minute walk outside. I don't know where you live so depending upon the weather. You should buy a TRX on line and you can use that in your house (it gets attached to a sturdy door). It comes with a manual showing you all of the exercises you can do. It was developed by a Navy Seal and it's fabulous!!

I do not work so I have the flexibility to go to my gym and lift weights after lunch (I have a treadmill and an elliptical in my basement) however I suggest that you buy some weights to work out with at home. I keep a set of 5 pds weights and 8 pd weights in my bedroom and if I can't go to the gym I do 6-7 different sets of arm weights. I started to body planks with 5 pd weights. Before I went to the gym I was having a little wave (my vision was a little blurry). I just left the gym and my waved passed and my vision is normal.  Today I lifted 120 weights (no more than 30-40 pds) and I rowed a bike which is very hard. I also did my usual leg presses and lounges while lifting a 5 pd weight over my head.  Maybe I should be a trainer? hahahahaha. I'm addicted to working out but I do know that it has helped me so much in my recovery. I have tons of positive energy, I am never tired, I have great blood pressure and very good cholesterol. Exercise plays a key factor in all of this for sure.

Thank you so much. When you say 120 weights what do you mean? I will buy some weight and alternate with the bike or running. I will do weights at least 3 days a week. If I keep them in my bedroom then it's easier then going to the gym. I have my bike set up on a indoor triainer so I can ride that for a while. I will get there  :thumbsup:.

VG

Thanks Seriously, great ideas :thumbsup: I'm glad someone else has started this slowly. I know you understand the mindset of being sick so many years, only to be faced with the idea that underneath it all is a healthy person. I've struggled with that as well. It's time to do. I have to take a look at the link Mind posted. Thanks Mind. Depression is playing a huge part now, and that has to be changed. Exercise may be the true key.

[eb...]

Thanks Seriously, great ideas :thumbsup: I'm glad someone else has started this slowly. I know you understand the mindset of being sick so many years, only to be faced with the idea that underneath it all is a healthy person. I've struggled with that as well. It's time to do. I have to take a look at the link Mind posted. Thanks Mind. Depression is playing a huge part now, and that has to be changed. Exercise may be the true key.

Hey, Saga. I'm really hoping that depression can be handled through a healthy diet and exercise. For those of us who simply can't take meds any more, what else can we do?

I'm going to give it a shot and I'm happy to see so many others doing the same thing.

WE CAN DO THIS!

Great thread, Drew.  :)

Mozart- I'm so sorry to hear about everything that you are going through, I know it's got to be so difficult. Dancing is another great form of exercise, so keep doing it. Take each day as it comes and do whatever your body tells you that you can do. You will heal everyone heals!!! We are all different and despite the fact that we might have the same symptoms no two people are alike. This entire benzo w/d recovery is not a linear line.

I'm sending you extra good wishes and karma.

Best,

Right now I'm not feeling much to doing a workout today.  I got a migraine yesterday and the after effects for me are super DR and dizziness.  I took off work and my brain is mush. I may do it if I get some sleep soon otherwise I've recently learned this is a "no push" day. 

[eb...]

Right now I'm not feeling much to doing a workout today.  I got a migraine yesterday and the after effects for me are super DR and dizziness.  I took off work and my brain is mush. I may do it if I get some sleep soon otherwise I've recently learned this is a "no push" day.

Yes, I'm familiar with those "no push" days. Sometimes it's just time to rest.

Hope you feel better soon.  :)

Valleygirl

Thank you so much. When you say 120 weights what do you mean? I will buy some weight and alternate with the bike or running. I will do weights at least 3 days a week. If I keep them in my bedroom then it's easier then going to the gym. I have my bike set up on a indoor triainer so I can ride that for a while. I will get there  :thumbsup:.

I do what's called sets at different upper arm machines, which  totaled about 120-130 lifts today. Usually I do ten sets three times for a total 30 times at each machine, and then I move on. You can get a nice upper arm work out/cut with 5 pd weights. In the beginning it's all about the sets that you do verse the amount of the weight. Another great secret for being motivated to working out is to work out with great music on your nano. I work out to techno/club  music and it motivates me...If you go on you tube you can google some upper arm weights to do. I also do 100 sit ups at night but I do them with weights.

Fitbit tracker says: 7500 steps and 3.16 miles walked :) I walked on both of my 15 minute breaks today, as well as during my 30 minute lunch break. Tonight I will also be doing some roller blading.

Mrs. :smitten:

Took another walk at lunch today! Little shorter, but still got out there for a little bit. Having been trapped inside for so long because of the snow, it's so nice to be outside a little. Every little bit helps, right? :)

Count me in too, guys!  Thank you, Drew, I've been lurking the last couple of days ... and Hi to all the familiar names I see here!  8)

A special shout out to you, Fran.  Must tell you that right after our little "euphoria" discussion on the other thread, I called Curves and have an appointment to check them out on Friday. :clap:  I give all credit to you for getting my juices flowing again, so thank you for that!!!  :highfive:

My "A Little About Me" story.  Used to be pretty active until physical sxs hit very hard.  Mainly tennis, squash, jogging, dog walking, hiking, downhill skiing.  After sxs hit, did targeted upper body work, including weight lifting with a personal trainer.  I also did mindfulness yoga daily but am no longer able to do that due to my unique brand of rocky boat. 

I'm now down to nothing more than daily dog walking (2-4 times per day, I try for at least 30 mins/walk), standing mindfulness movements, and I play motivational songs and dance around like a dork for at least 15 mins/day.  :idiot:  Oh, and every so often I do some sporadic old lady type jogging during dog walks, it sometimes helps ease up my upper back muscle tension.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with Curves?  It seems to be the best bet for me right now because I can go on a whim, and get a full body workout.