• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ba...]

• [Na...]

• [Ki...]

• [od...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome, 'h999' :thumbsup:! There are a few Maritime types (mainly N.S. I think) who've checked in here-'Nova Scotia', 'allbymyself, 'SerenityNow' and 'WeCanDoThis16' are around pages 8ish-10 if you want to look 'em up. Drop in whenever you feel like it; it's always nice to add to our Canuck contingent :)!!

p.s. congrats on being Ativan free  :thumbsup:!

(That 'redneck solar pool heater'  ;D sounds intriguing-feel free to elaborate on that project, eh?)

Ya, basically I'm building my own solar pool heating system I'm going to be mounting to the roof of my house.  It's going to be made of a plethora of plumbing fittings, auxiliary pumps, electronic doodads and doohickies and a crap ton (600 feet) of irrigation polypipe.  I'm currently still piecing it together in my head but I'm almost there for the parts inventory and can start assembly in the coming weeks.    I'll post about it when I make some head-way in assembly.

Also....  I bought a replacement mower and pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday this week.!  Its a real Cadillac in terms of mowers.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/premium-residential-hrx/hrx217hzc#

Never thought I'd be looking forward to lawn mowing.

-Geek

Hey g33k, having fun with that super duper Honda mower?! It does look like the Cadillac of push mowers for sure...I also like the idea of the 'self-recharging(?)' or whatever battery  :thumbsup:. Anything to make mowing the durn grass more appealing  8)!

I'd rather push a mower and get some exercise (esp. a battery powered mower, so not burning gas, or messing around with an extension cord, grrr), but I fell in luff  :smitten: with an older JD LX172 re: mowing ACRES of farm grass...mostly pastures too small for a bigger tractor.

I've been helping a friend with a big country lawn; we're both trying to replace more grass every year with native perennials! Anyways, her battery powered lawn mower is a cheap, anemic lil' thang, ugh! She needs your grass devourer-er....

Your solar pool heater project sounds very creative...wow, all that piping! I guess getting most of the parts is a big deal, so sounds like you're moving along :thumbsup:. Kinda be a 'play it by ear' and tweaking sort of thang (even with careful planning/analysis and all that stuff)??

Keep us posted on how it goes...inquiring minds want to know ::)! Best of luck, and enjoy that lawn mower  :).

Report from S. Ont.: very hot and humid at the moment, so I'm on the wilted :P side. The Pan Am Games have been going on for the past week or so in and around Toronto, which is kind of a big deal, but since I'm not competing his year [haha  ::)] I haven't seen any events. But good to know Canada is doing well, yay Canuckland  :thumbsup:.

Here's hoping the wildfire situations in Sask., Alta. and B.C. are improving; that's certainly been a challenge, and scary stuff. I haven't really heard too much about summer in the Maritimes-perhaps you folks are having less dramatic weather?

Anyone, anywhere, please feel free to post a word or two  8) ! I haven't been at my perkiest of late, so ye olde cheerleader pompoms have been gathering a bit of dust (slow taper going okay thus far, but many other aspects of daily existence hard slogging at the moment).

Thank goodness for horse therapy; if I didn't have to function as a 'slave to the neigh-ers,' I wouldn't have all that mega-glamorous manure management, equine hair/hoof care ETC. to keep me centred  ::). How about SOME sign that other Canajuns are getting by with a bit more style than marginal moi??!!

Hey everyone in Canucklandia...hope summer wherever you are is not too smoky/firey/dry  :( etc. Having lived out in Alberta and Saskatchewan for quite a while, I sure sympathize with the fire danger and drought issues. I have a brother who's a helicopter pilot, and he flew crews in and out of PA (Prince Albert, for the non prairie types) for a few summers.

Hot and nasty dangerous, from all I've heard from him...I guess there are even firefighters from Mexico helping out up here, now, yikes; gotta be bad if people are coming from that far away. Here in S. Ont. it's just the hot/muggy season, mostly...as Bab mentioned. As a fellow 'equicentric' type, I break into a sweat even before I start barn chores.

All the show horses are getting so many baths every day after training/pre-show, that I'm hoping the well won't run dry...literally  ::). It's also a bad year for flies-well, maybe a good year if you happen to be a fly, but not so fun for people and horses, ugh! The mosquitoes are also out in force, especially around dusk and dawn...either get drenched in DEET and spray the horse equivalent on your beast, or become a skeeter blood donor.

There's been an effective equine vaccine for about the past decade for West Nile...but not for people; what's all that about  ??? ? Kinda jealous of my beasties  ::). Anyhow, nice weather to go to the beach for a ride! I haven't gotten there yet this year, but hopefully soon...many horses seem to quite enjoy swimming, or at least splashing around, although some think even a puddle is a monster :o.

On a non-horsey closing note, hope everyone out there wrestling with benzo stuff is hanging in there and making some progress. I'm going slow, but the right direction...just trying not to think too much about all the sxs etc. details, and plod ahead. Like the icon says, just wanna be free, someday...

Hey well, I'm no chatty Bab type when it comes to keeping this canuck thread from disappearing but I just realized we're in the middle of another only in Canada long weekend, right? A few people posted on Canada day so maybe some more might for the Civic holiday. Here in Sask. the forest fires are still burning, but we have had some rain--too much a little while ago in the south. Crops not looking too good. I'm playing both baseball and fastball, but for the weekend am visiting the family farm for BBQ and mini reunion. Good to see relatives and eat! I also made the jump off Ativan a few weeks ago. Since I was on a small amount for a short time my taper wasn't too bad and I think I'll be ok. I'm grateful I was told to get off the stuff so quick after my surgery, and I feel lucky that way. But I'm still checking in here, and hoping everyone still working to get off can get free, even if it takes a while and it isn't easy.

So what and where are all you guys up to on this long weekend, all over Canada?

p.s. your welcome bab lol

• 2 weeks later...

Once more-argh, where are all me fellow Canuckians??-I guess it's time to leap ::) in and keep our patriotic lil' flame from getting completely extinguished. (If anyone is just checking in, and finds my periodic bouts of "Go Canadaland, Go!" either inspiring, or tiring?!, rest assured that I experienced a very unpleasant :sick: speed bump in my Valium taper in the past 24 hrs.; I'm now feeling grateful NOT to be feeling hideous, and just hoping the regained stability-of-sorts has stamina.)

Since we've all been even more than usually quiet (mute??  ::)) of late, how about compiling a list of better known, and more garrulous/attention seeking/high flying products of above the 49th parallel? In no particular order (and not endorsed OR disliked by moi!), I'll kick things off with as many names as my battered brain can summon in a brief period of time, so as not to stress my particularly fragile  ??? CNS.

Here goes: Michael J. Fox, Wayne Gretzky, Dan Ackroyd, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, TONS of hockey players, Ian Millar (Big Ben), Peter Robinson (mystery writer), Burton Cummings (used to hang out with the father of one of my friends), Randy Bachman, more and more baseball and NBA players!, Jacques Villaneuve...and sooo many more. This is actually a pretty lame list, but I'm not too indefatigable right now, so can anyone else with more energy and a fresh brain jump in?

I haven't even begun to scratch the surface; it might be fun if some non-Canucks see a long list of people they didn't realize are/were from the land of 'Mounties and moose'  ::)!!

Looks like Bab needs some help here, so I got my history teacher girlfriend to get me some ideas. She made her list while I was playing in a playoff baseball game-ya, she is a real sports fan, but glad she had some fun. So, Buffy St. Marie, Alice Munro, Mavis Gallant, Joseph Boyden, Catherine O'Hara, Michael Buble, Joni Mitchell, Christopher Plummer, Kieffer Sutherland, Alex Trebek, Rachel McAdams, Dave Foley, Lorne Michaels,Seth Rogen, Neil Young, Tragically Hip, Drake, k.d. Lang, Robbie Robertson, Leonard Cohen, Rufus Wainwright, Kim Catrell, Keanu Reeves, Ellen Page, Gail Bowen, Peter Jennings, Mike Myers, Adrienne Clarkson, Eric Lamaze-and that's all for now.

Seriously,no one has anyone to add???? If I can do it, well, if I can get my girlfriend to do it, ya get the picture!!

Hi all!

Haven't  been around for a while.  Have had to educate people about ativan.  Sister in law was.prescribed it in emerg for panic attacks.  She said NO WAY!!!  and told doc my story.  I am.proud of her.  She ended up going on a low dose SSRI and talks to a therapist.  She is doing well.  My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and also was put on it.  It took me about 6 weeks to convince her and cancer doc to try something else.  She is taking ziplocone for sleep aid.  Better than ativan.    While she was.on it, her personality was gone and she was having crazy dreams.  So thankful to have convinced her to get off that.  She is having chemo treatments and soon surgery.

Anyways.  Has been a stressfull year off ativan for me.  I am not back to the same old me.  I really have to make myself rest and chill often to stay well.  Still taking d, magnesium and zinc supplements which aid in sleep and calmness.

That is all for now.

Cheers!

Domestic Advisor

I've been waiting for some other Canuck to jump in and welcome you back DA, but it seems we are a country of Quiet Canadians, especially lately. (With any luck, once the weather cools down, folks will be more inclined to post whilst they huddle around their computers??) Anyhow, I've reluctantly appointed myself the 'Welcome Wagon' thread person; nice to see you back! I think last time you reported in it was ski season, if I'm not mistaken  ::)!?

So sorry to hear of your mom and sister in law's problems (hope your mom is doing okay), but great to hear you're out there educating and advocating strongly against the use of benzos  :thumbsup: re: both of them. Definitely a case of much, much easier to be proactive and resist using this junk than to get hooked and then have to extricate yourself.

It's tough to have to care for others while still trying to navigate your own recovery. Perhaps the distraction, and knowing that you're being a big help are positive things-but do remember to take that time for yourself, and relax and recharge. Glad to hear the mag/zinc supplements are helping with sleep and chillaxing.

Do stop in anytime you're inclined; even if we're a bit of a taciturn bunch (well, present company excluded, ahem  ::)), our Canuckian thread does appear to get some steady traffic/views, so at least there are people visting even if they are Silent Sams, as opposed to Chatty Bablatrices! Again, best of luck with everything  :thumbsup:!

p.s. are you in touch with Kiddo at all? She kicked this whole 'Eh' thread off, but has been MIA here for quite a while-although I know she's posting elsewhere ("Come back, Kiddo!").

• 2 weeks later...

No way I'm going to be this threads cheerleader (Bab may not feel like she is not made for cartwheels and pom poms, but I'd def look pretty bad in a short skirt with my manly legs haha), but I'm another Canuck who thinks we moose wrasslers should have a place to go or check out.

Although, sometimes I wonder what kind of party there'd be if we all got together in one room? Like we'd all stand around staring at the ceiling and not talking to each other? Polite is one thing, but not communicating at all makes a person wonder what the point is?

Even though I was on not on much benzos for not that long and am off now, I found it really helped to read stuff all over the board. And it was good to know there were and are people across Canada with the same problem-even if it would be nice if we didn't have to go through the benzo experience in the first place.

My baseball playoffs are coming up, and so is the harvest on the family farm. Was a hard summer with the fires and heat etc. but not a total write off with the crops. Looking forward to the fall. Seems like everywhere you turn there are politicians looking for our votes, so guess that will be interesting re: election.

Sure hope more people vote than post on here, eh?

Hi Everybody,

Sorry I've been MIA....trying to limit my time online while I navigate recovery. I found myself picking up "sympathy symptoms" from reading the plights of others on the forum so I locked in to self-preservation mode  :D

I'm clearly the worst thread host ever....thankful for Babs picking up my slack  :smitten:

It took me about 6 weeks to convince her and cancer doc to try something else.  She is taking ziplocone for sleep aid.  Better than ativan.   

Domestic Advisor

I dont have personal cancer battling experience.  I have all sorts of Zopiclone experience.  That stuff has made me very very very sick.  You may or may not know that Z drugs are essentially the same as benzos.  They are cross tolerant.    I would advise not taking that for too long.  no more than 2 weeks stretchs

edit:

I can't stress this next part the enough.

Once Zopiclone STOPS working so well, and you should just STOP taking it.  Do not UP the dose to compensate. 

Once more-argh, where are all me fellow Canuckians??-I guess it's time to leap ::) in and keep our patriotic lil' flame from getting completely extinguished. (If anyone is just checking in, and finds my periodic bouts of "Go Canadaland, Go!" either inspiring, or tiring?!, rest assured that I experienced a very unpleasant :sick: speed bump in my Valium taper in the past 24 hrs.; I'm now feeling grateful NOT to be feeling hideous, and just hoping the regained stability-of-sorts has stamina.)

Since we've all been even more than usually quiet (mute??  ::)) of late, how about compiling a list of better known, and more garrulous/attention seeking/high flying products of above the 49th parallel? In no particular order (and not endorsed OR disliked by moi!), I'll kick things off with as many names as my battered brain can summon in a brief period of time, so as not to stress my particularly fragile  ??? CNS.

Here goes: Michael J. Fox, Wayne Gretzky, Dan Ackroyd, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, TONS of hockey players, Ian Millar (Big Ben), Peter Robinson (mystery writer), Burton Cummings (used to hang out with the father of one of my friends), Randy Bachman, more and more baseball and NBA players!, Jacques Villaneuve...and sooo many more. This is actually a pretty lame list, but I'm not too indefatigable right now, so can anyone else with more energy and a fresh brain jump in?

I haven't even begun to scratch the surface; it might be fun if some non-Canucks see a long list of people they didn't realize are/were from the land of 'Mounties and moose'  ::)!!

Leonard Cohen!

Margaret Atwood • Jim Carrey • Dan Akroyd • John Candy • Rachael McAdams • James Cameron • Donovan Bailey • Farley Mowat • Michael J Fox • Keanu Reeves • Wayne Gretzky

That's all I can do off the top of my head....... :D

has anyone been to any ohip covered inpatient facilities in ontario? that you would recommend

losing too many hours at work and sitting around at home would make me go stircrazy

also if you could share your experiences even if you're not from ontario that would be great!!

First of all, yay Canadians for all the thread action on 12 September  :thumbsup:! Wonder what is was about that particular day?! Whatever the case, it was great to see some contributions to the 'Famous Canadians' list (the one name posts were excellent quality!), and nice to hear from our thread founder, Kiddo.

I'm sure we can all empathize on the need to withdraw to an extent from the BB and general busy-ness et al. of life in general at times in our healing process; you're certainly not remiss in your absence. I hope your benzo journey and all that related stuff is at a more tolerable point soon...if not now, perhaps?? You've done great with your taper, and are a definite Canadian Inspiration  8). Please come back here whenever possible!

p.s. add 74 year old Buffy St. Marie to the list-she just won the Polaris Music Prize in much younger company, so coolio girl!! (I think my dad had a bit of a crush on her in the late 70's; as a kid I kept hearing her record played over and over...and seeing her on Sesame Street, too?!)

p.s. re: 'Canadians of note, ' Buffy St. Marie, who just won the Polaris Music Prize at the age of 74-keep rockin' it, girl! (I think my dad had a little crush on her in the 70's; as a kid, I kept hearing her on our record player over and over and over...)

asus, I'm sorry no one has replied to your post about OHIP covered facilities; please don't give up on visiting our Canuck thread. Although I'm familiar with some places that cover alcohol addiction and eating disorders, for example, the unique nature of benzo withdrawl (i.e. needing much more time than the typical 28 day programs for our brains to become 'rewired') means these regimens aren't too suitable for most of us.

I know that some people do choose to do a c/t or rapid detox despite all the knowledge indicating this path tends to be pretty painful in many ways; personally, I'd rather take a long time to taper, and have some quality of life along the way. If you go the quickie route, it takes time for your brain to catch up even though you're not taking the drug.

It's tough to think of taking all that time to taper, but when you look at the long term/big picture, slow makes sense to me. But if you do decide to go another route, I hope you find some help, and that things work out for you. Let us know how it goes, if you like, or stop by if you have any more 'Canadian Concerns'. Take care, everyone!

Re: above post, OOPS-dual P.S.'s in the middle of post, instead of at end. It's not YOUR benzo brain that makes it read really weirdly, it was MINE  :-[::)!!

Thanks for the reply!! I'm going on sick leave and  heading out to vancouver for two months (sister lives there) two blocks from stanley park

so that better than any inpatient program!!

HEy I grew up watching monty python and kids in the hall, so wierd is my middle name lol  :thumbsup:

Hey asus, that stay in Van sounds fantastic :thumbsup:-two blocks from Stanley Park, wow, walks on the Sea Wall (sea wall?? ::)), ETC. Spending time there for a couple of months-on a slow taper, I'm guessing?-beats an inpatient program hands down for sure. Enjoy your visit, and just let yourself heal.

Your history re: type/duration of benzo is a bit similar to mine, and I'm definitely finding the steady and slow method much more doable than an earlier shorter and disastrous attempt. We'll get through this challenging and just plain crappy experience; just gotta keep plugging.

I also grew up on MP, and Kids in the Hall; weird is the best haha. In fact, I just borrowed a DVD of their first season from the library  ::). Maybe try some comedy therapy on rainy Vancouver days! Don't be a stranger, eh?  And a big ol' Canuckski 'HI' to everyone else  :)!

p.s. a great uncle of mine was the mayor of Van quite a while back, and has some stuff in Stanley Park and elsewhere named after him-one of those richy rich relatives on too distant a twig of the family tree to be, um, helpful. Drat!

The one thing I totaly pissed off about is that I can't go hunting this year  :tickedoff:

and of course I get an anterless tag which I've never gotten before in the 8 yrs I've been hunting

which is more like hiking with a shotgun for a week  :laugh:

Antlerless?  Does that mean juvenile or female?  I'd imagine the young ones are much better than the old ones in terms of toughness. 

Are we talking about moose or deer?   

Can't you sell your tag?

I hear spring bear is pretty good too but I've never had the opportunity to try it.