Canadian Eh? Pre and post withdrawal support

[Ki...]

Canucks, Canucks, Canucks-wherefore art thou/us?? ??? It was great to see a flurry of action around the August Civic Weekend holiday, but are we all either frolicking in the HOT sun now, or maybe sheltering in the shade? Whatever the case, must NOT let our lil' Canajun thread slip into oblivion 8)!!

Hey, how about them Oympics, and some of the great Canadian performances?! For a geographically large/population modest country, we did pretty darn well :thumbsup:. I'm not a total Olympic fan/nut (the whole IOC organization has def got some major problems, plus the whole 'drug in sport' issue), but how can ya not say "Hey, EH!!" about some veterans gutsy performances along with those breakout young'uns in swimming/track etc.??

In all modesty, I thought I might medal in the show jumping, but my trusty mount and I were caught dashing UNDER the jumps (guess I missed the line in the rule book about having to actually go OVER those 5 ft. + suckers, oops!). At least we tried, and having washed outta competition so early, we had lots of time to pony surf, yay 8).

Anyone else catch some Oly action, and feel a tad patriotice :smitten:??

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ba...]

• [Na...]

• [Ki...]

• [od...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuzin Bab is doing okay, but off to take care of some aging ??? Swissie relatives for a while (I have to farm, and other relatives not so mobile with jobs). At least she'll have some good cheese and chocolate-and maybe a watch or a gold bar if she plays her cards right har! Anyway, cuz' will be a bit bizy for a while, plus who knows how the wiifii is up in parts of them thar Alps?? So either this thread will be a lot quiet, or maybe someone else will take up 'the torch' or something. I'll check in, but it's harvest time...

p.s. hey, ya notice we made it over 10K hits on this thread-cool  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
In Az, born in Calgary, a Duelie. Damn things near killed my ass. I hate what they do to people and how we're treated by the medical establishment who gave us the freaking things in the first place. There's no good medicine without compassion. Count me in

Hey bablatrice!

Where are you? You've erased your signature and gone away?

Have you guys noticed her absence from the forum?

I think Babs is out of the country for awhile.......not 100% sure on that but hope she returns soon..... I miss her clever posts  :-[ Maybe odinski can shine some light on when she'll be back

• 2 months later...

I'm in... central Ontario. Not much to talk about.... trying to find any kind of support around here but there's nothing. Thought about seeing a neurologist because my head hurts all of the time. Pressure / fog... just never goes away. Anyone else on that bus? Anyway, glad to see there's a Canadian support group.

Aside, anyone tried anything that helps at all in this group? Please don't say time...

Hello, Victoria BC here.

I'm now 10 months off these damn pills and it's just been now that I've finally am noticing a small but perceptible improvement in my cognition and memory. This has been my most debilitating symptom throughout this process. When I first got off I could barely tie my shoes or speak a coherent sentence. The improvements are coming along at a snails pace and it might very well be another 10 months before I'm back to my normal self again. What a daunting and arduous this ordeal has been. I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.

Too bad we can't keep this thread busy.  It's sooo hard to get any help in Ontario with getting off these benzos.  I would really like to find a supportive GP or Psyche in Ottawa, Kingtson, 1000 Islands area if anyone has a suggestion.  A real live support group would be amazing!  Probably not in my lifetime tho :-[

In Ontario it's really the luck of the draw on finding a benzo wise Dr. But really all you need is one who will script you long enough to complete your taper. I think this board is your best tool for setting up a taper and getting off benzo's.

As for this thread, Babs was really the catalyst for keeping it alive for the most part. And kudo's to kiddo77 for starting it too.  I hope Babs is ok as she has not been on here for quite some time.  :(

Drummerboy,

I am in Ontario as well though not in the area you mentioned. Suffice it to say Im a Leafs fan  :)

I have searched the internet for local support groups and found nothing. I have asked local Doctors and mental therapists and they look at me like I said something wrong.

I think as it was suggested earlier, this place is our support. Its a difficult process getting off these benzos harder than anything I've ever done before but it is achievable ad the many who have accomplished have shown.

It would be a real gift I agree if there was local suuport groups of people like ourselves that could meet and share experiences and provide support. I guess that would mean admitting that these drugs can cause issues and the establishment doesn't want that eh!

Peace & Healing fellow Canuck!  :thumbsup:

ATU

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread... hello Canadians!  I'm in Quebec, and detoxing from clonazepam (prescribed for me years ago by a GP who assured me it wasn't habit-forming.  Hah.

I took it off and on (one or two nights at a time) for years with no problems.  Then was diagnosed with Parkinsons and freaked out.  Began to worry about sleeping and started taking a .5mg pill each night.  Then (of course) this didn't work any more so was given 1mg pills.

Only after about a year did I begin to guess that my most horrible symptoms - black black suicidal depression and anxiety - had a pattern that coincided with the clonazepam dosage (which I took every night at bedtime).  Each morning I'd wake up and want to be dead, but the blackness began to lift towards evening.

You've guessed it.  As I began to taper off the 1mg, the depression and anxiety began to lift too.  Now the anxiety is completely gone, as are the suicidal thoughts. 

I'm now at .25mg (1/2 of a .5mg pill), and suffering mainly from insomnia.  Oh, and tinnitis, which waxes and wanes.

Doctors really don't know much about this issue, do they?  Would be interested to hear your experiences with doctors as you taper.

Best to all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not Canadian, but I really wish I was!  I've been to B.C. and Quebec this year, and they were heaven on earth.  I have two dear friends in Toronto, and I'm going there in September.  I may be in Quebec again in a couple of weeks.  I want to see more of the country when I can, it's truly magnificent.  Thank you for being so polite (even if Canadians do all of the bad things we do south of your border), it's such a refreshing change from all of the entitled and narcissistic assholes that we breed so prolifically in our United States of the Dollar.

XOX

A Canadian thread!  Fantastic.! I'm in BC and have a decent doc when it comes to tapering..... I'm very lucky and glad for that.

Slowly coming off Xanax with a side of Valium that my doc suggested.  Unconventional but it's working so far and I'm more than 3/4 off the Xanax. WOOT!  It's been a trip and the beginning was hell, I didn't know to slow the ---- down! i know I need to taper from the Valium then but really want to see what life is like without Xanax in my brain.

I was becoming concerned with memory problems, and hell I knew this wouldn't last forever!  I started to taper shortly after I retired.  I don't think I could have worked while I was tapering.

Happy there are some Canucks banding together!

Native Montrealer here, raised in Ontario, and divided my adult life between Montreal and Japan.  :)

I think BB is a great resource for whatever you're looking for, but I suppose it would be nice to meet face to face with others who are dealing with this. I don't think there are support groups around here for benzo users specifically.

The benzo problem simply isn't given the attention it deserves. It's always been marginalized, and some doctors don't even believe in it. Or at least not in protracted withdrawal.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, eh!  :smitten:

• 2 months later...
SO.......Whats happening with all you apathetic Canadians.  Are things looking up for any of you yet.  I gave the forum a break for summer.  I'm now on the under 3mg V forum.  Had a passable/tolerable summer but back into a nasty wave now.  All the trees here even look sick and tired, no color whatsoever.  Somebody have something positive to share ??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[b4...]
May the god Geddy Lee bless you all...and bless me by grabbing Lerxst if not Pratt at least and making one more killer album of anything :P

• 9 months later...