6-12 month thread....

[Co...]

I am tentatively going to say, I'm a bit better. I started taking a slew of supplements on Saturday as a way to avoid going on a med to control run away depression. Maybe the supps are working, maybe it was just a wave. I don't really know. I just have to stay safe and try to do as little harm to myself as possible. Supplements are my first line of defense. I feel bad taking anything. It just doesn't sit well with me, but I'm trying to let go and take something if it helps a bit. I'm also focusing on bilateral stimulation (walking/jogging) and sleep.

Coop and Green,

I always want to know how you are and I especially want to know when you're doing well. I need every possible light shining when I am on my knees in the dark. Shine on! I'm so happy for you! :highfive:

Peace2

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [Gr...]

• [No...]

• [pe...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly not a group I ever wanted to be a part of but glad for the extra support.  Anyone else out there who cold turkeyed.  I got pounded in a detox which has ruined me.  So scared folks that I'm not going to ever heal from this.  I have the worst depression known to man and often have to pace in the mornings.

Satch, the good news is you are off the meds.  Jaso19 ct'd also.  Look up her name and success story.  She couldn't walk until 7 months.  Now she is healed, 100%..works a full time job and exercise everyday.  You will heal for sure!!

satch and drew...the mental sxs are so very difficult to deal with.  I had the depression, anxiety just like your experiencing.  Just remember these come and go.  Impossible to predict how long they will last.  Again, you have to remember that it DOES come to and end.  Distraction is key.  Exercise if at all possible was my way of coping.  It really does help.  The key is to push even when you are not feeling up to it.  Good luck to you both....there is so much support here so I would stay on  these boards as you go through this.  It is comforting knowing that others are dealing with many of the same issues. 

Green...thanks for thinking of me.  The roller coaster ride continues.  Enjoying the better sleep and most of all not taking ANYTHING at all to help me fall asleep.  That feeling of empowerment is certainly giving me a bit of confidence.  Hoping it continues.  Glad you all are here for support when needed. 

Thx Garton....interestingly my crazy mental wave passed. Just cog fog and physical stuff right now. Whew!    I'm not saying I'm out of the woods but at least I can think.  Another item I just remembered is I cut out all sugars and most carbs from my diet six days ago.  I'm sure this is a contributing factor to my symptoms.

I am tentatively going to say, I'm a bit better. I started taking a slew of supplements on Saturday as a way to avoid going on a med to control run away depression. Maybe the supps are working, maybe it was just a wave. I don't really know. I just have to stay safe and try to do as little harm to myself as possible. Supplements are my first line of defense. I feel bad taking anything. It just doesn't sit well with me, but I'm trying to let go and take something if it helps a bit. I'm also focusing on bilateral stimulation (walking/jogging) and sleep.

Coop and Green,

I always want to know how you are and I especially want to know when you're doing well. I need every possible light shining when I am on my knees in the dark. Shine on! I'm so happy for you! :highfive:

Peace2

Peace,

I'd like to set your mind at ease a bit about supplements, if I can.

Of course, this is just my own personal opinions and experiences :) No worries if its not for everyone :)

Remember back a few pages when I mentioned that I used to coach weight loss? Alongside that, I also coached on diets and nutrition (because the two go hand in hand -- healthy diets = healthy weight/healthy bodies). In my studies of proper and balanced nutrition, I have come to find that in order to derive abundant supply of nutrients and minerals for the body to amply function properly, now-a-days, supplementation is a very handy and sometimes very necessary tool (IMO).

I'll try to put this simply. Most vitamins, minerals, and nutrients have to be present in the soil in order for them to be present in the fruit and/or vegetable. Many farms only put back in to the soil what is necessary for growth -- not necessarily what is ample for human's nutritional needs. So the soil's nutrient content continues to lessen as the years pass by.

Also, because of crossbreeding and genetic modifications, many plants produce more fruits/vegetables than what they previously did, as well as larger fruits/vegetables. For instance, 50 years ago, a stalk of corn may have only produced 1-2 ears of corn that were 5-6 inches long. Whereas today, they may produce 3-4 ears of corn that are 6-8 inches long. (Those numbers & stats are not actual data, but just a description and example of yield & production changes over the years.) So, long story short, because there are more fruits and bigger fruits per plant, the nutrient content per fruit/vegetable is less than what it used to be in years passed. Also, since many of our livestock animals that we live off of for meats (beef, pork, poultry) feed on plant and/or produce, our meats & dairy have also seen a decline in nutritional content compared to years passed.

All of this means that the nutrient content of today's "healthy" diets have lessened over the years, by a considerable amount IMO. So, I am a strong believer and advocator of supplementation as a helpful (and sometimes necessary IMO) means to achieving a healthy, nutrient-rich diet. I know that many BBuddies have a variety of opinions and experiences regarding supplements, and yes, there is a 'balance' to consider when introducing anything new. However, if done properly, supplementation can often be life-giving, and life-saving in some cases.  IMO only Peace, but I do not believe you should feel guilt or self-condemnation for supplying to your body the necessary components for it to run efficiently. I know that many believe this can be done with diet alone, but it is my personal opinion and belief that supplementing may provide more benefit than not. I would encourage you to do some research of your own regarding this subject matter of course, and also encourage that you don't just take my 'word' for it. It is fascinating to learn about! To me, anyways :P:)

I hope you feel more encouraged about your decisions, Peace. I have made similar decisions with and for my health, and am content with those decisions and believe they have provided great benefit for it :) Take care and rest well, buddy :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Hooray!! One of the buddies I PM'ed got back to me and said to go ahead and share his reply!!

His buddy name is Sir William. HealingHope, and all you other 12-16 monthers, I would strongly encourage you to read his final remaining posts, which happen to spell out where he was at when he stopped posting at 15-16 months off: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=3747

This was his response to me, which I received a couple days ago:

Hey there! Thank you for dropping a line. I have very few issues these days from benzos. I was in great doubt about my future health but by God's good grace and mercy and my proactive steps (eating healthy, exercise, etc) I have overcome. Occasionally, I do have some "fogginess" but it mainly happens when I have a lot of stress. I haven't had any panic or anxiety attacks for a cpl yrs now! Praise the Lord!  All the best to you in your journey; don't turn back to these medicines; stay focused and positive--AND, you must be consistently proactive in the recovery of your health. Be blessed!

Sir William

How cool this is. The dream is real, and healing is fo' sho'!! :)

Coop and Green,

Peace2

Hey Peace ; glad to hear your improving. Which supplements do you feel have improved your condition? Thx jrod

Do we really heal?  I feel so doomed and hopeless, my two favorite descriptions, that this will ever let up or pass.

When did you guys start to get some relief from hell.

Thanks again for welcoming me to the group.

I'll be posting a lot, I fear.

THanks,

Chris

Sadly not a group I ever wanted to be a part of but glad for the extra support.  Anyone else out there who cold turkeyed.  I got pounded in a detox which has ruined me.  So scared folks that I'm not going to ever heal from this.  I have the worst depression known to man and often have to pace in the mornings.

Hi.  I c/t'd from a pretty high dose, and I'm getting better.  Are you still on the Seroquel?

THanks mommy.  I have read her story.  Still on two other meds unfortunately which I fear I'll never get off of.

That's why I asked about the Seroquel.  I think it helps.  If I knew when I jumped what I know now, I would have taken it.  (took it before.)

I think you were spared the worst of the nightmare on it.  I've heard of people coming off without too much trouble.

Coop and Green,

Peace2

Peace,

I'm not scrubbing the floor and singing show tunes yet, but I feel a definite shift.  They say we turn corners.  My experience has not been so abrupt as a corner, it's more like the road just curves a little.  So I still have symptoms, but there is a major shift.  People who know me have commented on it, like wow, you're doing so much better.  I'm not living in the weird dark parallel universe, peering in watching everybody in the other world.  Peace, I connected with the other side, and the news is we're all going to get better.  I know it with every fiber of my being.  Hang on.  You're going to get to a place where you can do this.  You're going to get your life back. :smitten:

THanks mommy.  I have read her story.  Still on two other meds unfortunately which I fear I'll never get off of.

That's why I asked about the Seroquel.  I think it helps.  If I knew when I jumped what I know now, I would have taken it.  (took it before.)

I think you were spared the worst of the nightmare on it.  I've heard of people coming off without too much trouble.

Green I didn't realize you CT'd.  I'm trying to help mo2 find a doctor to not ct her from 100mg Librium which is 40mg Valium.  She has tried 4 times to quit but it's really hard.  To see how 'great' haha you are doing is incredible.

I started at 30mg Valium.

Yep ... I am in month 12 ... part of me wants to reply "whoopy-ding", "so what" ... and another part says smartin' up buster ... this is significant ... this "means" something ... stop putting that bushel over your light ... you don't "need" to be afraid anymore ....

And this is one of the blessings of this journey ... along with all the drug stuff we deal with, I get to do some more tidying up from the leftovers of my pre-drug days ... this journey off the drug is the longest running workshop I have ever attended ...

An "official" welcome to Chris and Drew ... this group does not pay much attention to numbers (okay, folks, stop rolling in the aisles, it wasn't that funny) ... we have folks here from all over the timeline spectrum ... pre-6 and post-12 ... take what you need, give what you can ... that's the way our "pot-luck" sustains itself ...

Have a good Wednesday ...

Congrats Nova! It is a big deal being in your 12th month! One year free from the drug is amazing, whether someone is feeling all healed or not! I'm proud of you, and everyone here! We are accomplishing something so huge!

Pat yourself on the back, give yourself a hug, and tell yourself what a remarkable survivor you are!

WAY TO GO!!!  ;D

:smitten:

Coop and Green,

Peace2

Peace,

I'd like to set your mind at ease a bit about supplements, if I can.

Of course, this is just my own personal opinions and experiences :) No worries if its not for everyone :)

Remember back a few pages when I mentioned that I used to coach weight loss? Alongside that, I also coached on diets and nutrition (because the two go hand in hand -- healthy diets = healthy weight/healthy bodies). In my studies of proper and balanced nutrition, I have come to find that in order to derive abundant supply of nutrients and minerals for the body to amply function properly, now-a-days, supplementation is a very handy and sometimes very necessary tool (IMO).

I'll try to put this simply. Most vitamins, minerals, and nutrients have to be present in the soil in order for them to be present in the fruit and/or vegetable. Many farms only put back in to the soil what is necessary for growth -- not necessarily what is ample for human's nutritional needs. So the soil's nutrient content continues to lessen as the years pass by.

Also, because of crossbreeding and genetic modifications, many plants produce more fruits/vegetables than what they previously did, as well as larger fruits/vegetables. For instance, 50 years ago, a stalk of corn may have only produced 1-2 ears of corn that were 5-6 inches long. Whereas today, they may produce 3-4 ears of corn that are 6-8 inches long. (Those numbers & stats are not actual data, but just a description and example of yield & production changes over the years.) So, long story short, because there are more fruits and bigger fruits per plant, the nutrient content per fruit/vegetable is less than what it used to be in years passed. Also, since many of our livestock animals that we live off of for meats (beef, pork, poultry) feed on plant and/or produce, our meats & dairy have also seen a decline in nutritional content compared to years passed.

All of this means that the nutrient content of today's "healthy" diets have lessened over the years, by a considerable amount IMO. So, I am a strong believer and advocator of supplementation as a helpful (and sometimes necessary IMO) means to achieving a healthy, nutrient-rich diet. I know that many BBuddies have a variety of opinions and experiences regarding supplements, and yes, there is a 'balance' to consider when introducing anything new. However, if done properly, supplementation can often be life-giving, and life-saving in some cases.  IMO only Peace, but I do not believe you should feel guilt or self-condemnation for supplying to your body the necessary components for it to run efficiently. I know that many believe this can be done with diet alone, but it is my personal opinion and belief that supplementing may provide more benefit than not. I would encourage you to do some research of your own regarding this subject matter of course, and also encourage that you don't just take my 'word' for it. It is fascinating to learn about! To me, anyways :P:)

I hope you feel more encouraged about your decisions, Peace. I have made similar decisions with and for my health, and am content with those decisions and believe they have provided great benefit for it :) Take care and rest well, buddy :)

Thanks, MRS! You are bringing lots of light to me these days and I am grateful for your gentle and thorough responses. I could just cozy into them and rest awhile from the nonsense in my ever churning mind. I do tend to agree with you about our diet and how it's lacking. Thank you for the vote of confidence.

Hope you're well.

Peace2

Nova,

You're in month 12 without the drug. That's nothing to scoff at. It does mean something, lots of things about tenacity, patience, acceptance, courage. You're doing this and doing it well.

We love you.

Peace2

Jrod-

I'm taking everything except the kitchen sink! I don't want to sound prescriptive and I don't even know which out of the many I'm taking might be helpful. But here's a list of the ones I'm trying, all are at a low dose - like half of the recommended starting dose: St. John's Wort, 5htp, tyrosine, rhodiola, evening primrose oil, fish oil, vitamin d, b6, zinc, calcium, magnesium and some Chinese herbs recommended by a Chinese medicine doctor. Whoa! That's a lot. All of these, except the Chinese herbs, have been recommended to me by the integrative psychiatrist I'm working with. He's a pretty famous guy with books and such. He really feels the supplements work best synergistically rather than on their own, so that's why there are so many but at low doses.

I've been taking all of these off and on for the last year. There's nothing brand new to my body except the Chinese herbs. I just increased my st johns wort and went back on 5htp, tyrosine and fish oil, the others I've been taking for months and months.

Peace to you. I hope you feel better very soon.

Peace2

The divergent opinions on seroquel is what u grapple with. On one hand I know it's helping me sleep. On the other hand I fear it's making me worse. I know it's a terrible med. Very dangerous and can be hard to get off of. What have you guys heard about it in benzo withdrawal.

I've been talking to a place that says they will get me off of my meds painlessly using supplements and lens brainwave therapy. One of the supplements is kavinace which I believe has phenibut in it. Anyone heard of something like this working or the products listed.