Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread

[7f...]

ok now I am really confused. I want to c/o but which way????? UGH  Maybe I will try it Pearts way with every other day doing the .12mgK/2.5mgs V

any opinions

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [la...]

• [ro...]

• [ly...]

• [et...]

Top Posters In This Topic

ok now I am really confused. I want to c/o but which way????? UGH  Maybe I will try it Pearts way with every other day doing the .12mgK/2.5mgs V

any opinions

Hi Lainey,

I would look at the dose of k that you were the most stable or a little higher and use the equivelent valium.

[dc...]

I'd c/o 1 dose of k to equivalent dose of Valium per day & hold until u feel good, then go to next dose & sub that with Valium & so on.

I got a latte, dizzy/off balance passed...feeling fine again!

I know-caffeine's a no no. I don't know why it works for me!

Lainey-what do u predict ur dr will say at ur appt re Valium c/o?

[7f...]

I did half Ativan and half equivalent of V.

Then held for two days, then cross that whole dose over to Valium.

Hold for two days.

Then the next dose in the same way: first half Ativan half V. Hold two days, then whole dose.

Etc

You can always take longer holds. Like Lynnieb did.

Frotob did it even quicker. It all depends on how you feel.

Just remember the V has to build up first.

[7f...]

Mrmteo, does this mean I still have a chance that I can be a little bit better after 30 days?

I'm sorry, not good on reading scientific stuff...

I don't really get it.

Mrmteo, does this mean I still have a chance that I can be a little bit better after 30 days?

I'm sorry, not good on reading scientific stuff...

I don't really get it.

No, I don't think u can make up for 20mg of valium from 15mg in 30 days.

I must chime in here. I don't see why anyone needs to invent elaborate (faster) co/ schedules when we have Ashton's expertise to draw on. Why do people want to rush things and get their c/o done in 16 days or 30 days or whatever, and think they'll feel better doing so? Invariably they suffer. The brain likes slower, not faster. To reiterate:  I followed Ashton and had essentially few problems. I see others who have rushed things doing some exotic invented c/o (or followed Reg Peart) and suffered.  I really don't get it. You can't fool the brain. I have spoken up in an attempt to forestall others' potential  suffering but I might as well have saved my time.

There is no magic shortcut. Just good sense and patience.

I'm done on this issue. Good luck whatever anyone chooses. Sorry if I sound exasperated. I am. 

Okatz

I must chime in here. I don't see why anyone needs to invent elaborate (faster) co/ schedules when we have Ashton's expertise to draw on. Why do people want to rush things and get their c/o done in 16 days or 30 days or whatever, and think they'll feel better doing so? Invariably they suffer. The brain likes slower, not faster. To reiterate:  I followed Ashton and had essentially few problems. I see others who have rushed things doing some exotic invented c/o (or followed Reg Peart) and suffered.  I really don't get it. You can't fool the brain. I have spoken up in an attempt to forestall others' potential  suffering but I might as well have saved my time.

There is no magic shortcut. Just good sense and patience.

I'm done on this issue. Good luck whatever anyone chooses. Sorry if I sound exasperated. I am. 

Okatz

Hi okatz,

I don't think those that thought they were following reg peart actually followed his and this is why they are having such a hard time.

Dr Ashton's is too fast IMO, too, so people need to follow the way they feel and take their time.

This is not a speed race.

Too many people just want the poison out of their system when they don't realize that the poison leaves behind damage that takes many months to heal.

This is why slow is the only way to go.

[7f...]

Okatz, I understand.

There just is no good sense when you're desperate. I had no idea what the hell I was doing. When you're new to all of this, it's not easy to find out what to do.

I remember feeling likeLainey did. Just not sure what to do. What to choose. To whom to listen. When to start and on how much. It is such an I portent decision. That's why we keep asking and posting.

I'm not promoting a quick cross over. I would have done mine slower too if I could have doen things differently. I can't go back. Just sharing what I did and how I feel now. Which is NOT good.

Sorry you feel you should have saved your time. We do take it all in.

Frotob did Peart and is doing really great.

I thought I could pull it off too because I felt great.

Thanks.

[7f...]

I also don't feel,like people are doing some exotic cross over. We are told to listen to our bodies. What do you so then when you feel fine? You keep doing it.

And then it's hit you. I guess a BIG lessons learned.

I keep asking Lainey to post a plan so people can chime in. To go slower, to take more V, less V, quicker etc.

so nobody makes the mistake I did.

Okatz, please do not stop giving me your advice. I need it badly

I did post my schedule somewhere else but with cog fog who the heck knows where, so here it is again Mom

1st week:

.25k 6:00am          .25k 2:00pm          .125k/2.5V 10:00pm

2nd week:

same                    same                            5V 10:00pm

3rd week:

.125k/2.5V 6:00am              same                          5V 10:00pm

4th week:

5V                              .125k/2.5V                          5V

5th week:

5V                                  5V                                    5V

5 weeks to c/o? to slow ?

I guess I will just have to see how I react. My Dr is totally onboard as to whatever I ask of her. I gave her the Ashton Manual last time I saw her (4 weeks ago) and she was eager to read it. Told her at that time that I wanted to try to just taper from K but now like you all know I am changing my mind on this. So what do you think of my plan?

Okatz, please do not stop giving me your advice. I need it badly

I did post my schedule somewhere else but with cog fog who the heck knows where, so here it is again Mom

1st week:

.25k 6:00am          .25k 2:00pm          .125k/2.5V 10:00pm

2nd week:

same                    same                            5V 10:00pm

3rd week:

.125k/2.5V 6:00am              same                          5V 10:00pm

4th week:

5V                              .125k/2.5V                          5V

5th week:

5V                                  5V                                    5V

5 weeks to c/o? to slow ?

I guess I will just have to see how I react. My Dr is totally onboard as to whatever I ask of her. I gave her the Ashton Manual last time I saw her (4 weeks ago) and she was eager to read it. Told her at that time that I wanted to try to just taper from K but now like you all know I am changing my mind on this. So what do you think of my plan?

Hi Lainey,

I can't comment in terms of k because I have no experience.

However, I noticed u didn't cut the valium and this sounds really good.

[7f...]

It looks good to me Lainy...

If I'm correct, it is ahston cross over. Week by week, replacing half the dose. Then wait, then move on.

I'm kind of afraid to speak up now. I did not do Ashton. I wish I did as we all know now.

I just asked to see it again so others can see it too.

I guess I'm  in no position anymore to advice on anything, but to say keep posting and others can chime in.

To me, this looks like I would do it if I could do it over again...

:smitten:

[7f...]

My post crossed with Mrmteo ...and I agree.

I forgot to say that yes, don't cut the Valium. Keep the dose equivalent.

Good luck :smitten:

[7c...]
Think I might go to Psych hospital..nothing is working. I can't dose during the day because when I do my body just craves more and I get more depressed, I am barely eating as it is because my anxiety is so so bad and I'm losing so much weight, I've gone from 140lbs to 113lbs since December. I woke up this morning dry heaving and then throwing up, legs and body shaking so bad as I type this, I feel like I am losing my mind. I need someone to help me anyone to help me because what I am doing isn't working at all! Is there anything I can do to stop this?! I know you're not supposed to take supplements but would Kava Kava maybe help me I don't know I am completely out of my mind right now and I am sorry for even posting this crap here. I know you guys all must think I am crazy, I feel like I am right now.

Think I might go to Psych hospital..nothing is working. I can't dose during the day because when I do my body just craves more and I get more depressed, I am barely eating as it is because my anxiety is so so bad and I'm losing so much weight, I've gone from 140lbs to 113lbs since December. I woke up this morning dry heaving and then throwing up, legs and body shaking so bad as I type this, I feel like I am losing my mind. I need someone to help me anyone to help me because what I am doing isn't working at all! Is there anything I can do to stop this?! I know you're not supposed to take supplements but would Kava Kava maybe help me I don't know I am completely out of my mind right now and I am sorry for even posting this crap here. I know you guys all must think I am crazy, I feel like I am right now.

That is way too much weight to lose.

You are going to have to get help because you are not able to do this yourself.

Please get help right away and then, you can create a plan that will work for you.

[7c...]

That is way too much weight to lose.

You are going to have to get help because you are not able to do this yourself.

Please get help right away and then, you can create a plan that will work for you.

I don't know where to get help?! I've tried my psychiatrist and he hasn't been helpful, he wanted me to initially drop .05mg per week of the Klonopin. It didn't work because the Klonopin was making me sick and giving me withdrawals, then he wanted to switch me to Valium, we all know how that went, he also told me I could c't the Valium and be okay because it essentially self tapers. Would a psych hospital be able to help me? Rehab wasn't much help and I would never go back to the one I was at they treated me so horribly.

I'm sorry, but I cannot answer that because I have no experience with either psych hospital or rehab.

However, u need help to get your weight back up and keep hydrated.

[7c...]

I'm sorry, but I cannot answer that because I have no experience with either psych hospital or rehab.

I drink at least a gallon of water a day directly from a gallon jug of water.

Your body needs protein and fat too.

Were u taking 5mg Valium 3x's per day when u tried switching?

[7c...]

Yes and everytime I took it it wore off almost right away and made me go nuts.

Yes and everytime I took it it wore off almost right away and made me go nuts.

Yes, that is why u have to do it for a week or 2.

You have to wait for the blood levels to rise.

My mom was pining for her next dose 3-4 hours after her valium in the begining.

However, she was pining 1-2 hrs after the ativan, so the valium was a much better choice.

It took a good week for her to get to the point where she wasn't crying for her next dose.

Lainey there is no right or wrong way to crossover, it comes down to the individual. People can give you advice all day long, but ultimately you have to decide for yourself, judge how you're feeling and start taking actions. If you're stable where you're at now, and followed it precisely there's a good chance you wouldn't have any difficulty crossing over faster as per Reg Peart's schedules. . . But if you're more comfortable doing it slowly, ala Ashton - there's no harm in doing that either, I wanted to get off Ativan as fast as I could and I was lucky enough to be 95% stable when I began my crossover - so I elected to crossover in 11 days, with a 1 day hold between each change in dose. . . Thankfully that worked out for me, but I was fairly certain it would, by doing my own research and judging by how I felt.

It's been almost a month since I crossed over and I've been feeling better and better, I decided to wait a full month before begining to taper.

If you're stable I don't see why you couldn't try to crossover faster than 5 weeks, if faster doesn't work for you, you'll know pretty quickly and you'll be able to go back and do it at a slower rate - that's really the only way you're gonna be able to tell how fast/slow you need to crossover. . . is just trying it and seeing what happens. It's impossible for any of us to tell you what rate is best for you to crossover, because it varies greatly from individual to individual, and there are many different variables to consider. Just don't be afraid to experiment a little til you find what works for you.

TFC,

I looked at your list of drugs again and you were on as high a dose as 1.75mg K.

Do u remember which dose of K when u felt more stable?