Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread

[23...]

[26...]

well I want to be a "CROSS OVER ROCK STAR"

Make it so! U can get there. I remember that I called my pdoc office and requested an appt a month earlier than I was supposed to see her. Something compelled me to want to get off of klonopin, yet I was extremely nervous. I rehearsed sev times what I wanted to say to my pdoc. I got in her office, and it all just spewed out, and I was like a politician! I told her that I wanted to get pointed in the right direction and I thought getting over to valium would get me to my goal. I admitted to the attempts at dry cutting the klon. I did tell her that I wanted to have the option of going back to klon if this really messed me up. She was a little hesitant because she knew I was doing so well on the klon, but she decided to let me take the reigns and try it! That's all u can do, try. Give it some time tho, don't give up like I almost did after a couple of days! "u gotta get up and try,try,try..." "just because it burns, doesn't mean ur gonna die..." per Pink!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [la...]

• [ro...]

• [ly...]

• [et...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Need advice: Last cross over not going too well I think it was also a slight cut - I went from my night dose of Klonopin - which was my largest dose -  first to .5 mg valium then less than a week later to another 5 mg waited a week at 10 mg valium still taking .125 klonopin  with the 10 mg of valium and then switched to .2 mg valium for total of 12 mg valium. Took a little over 2 weeks to do this cross over.  Technically this is a drop from what I have read since I should be taking 2.5 mg valium to equal the .125 klonopin.  My side effects are anxiety and stomach issues but not as bad as I had on just the klonopin.  I don't want to up dose the Valium because I am fine at night and it does make me tired. It is my wake up that is miserable and that is still all klonopin.  Any suggestions appreciated - faster cross over now in AM hold - HELP?    I wish one day I would wake up and feel great so far it has been months since I can say that - first in tolerance withdrawal on the klonopin now with cross over. Symptoms are better with the Valium that I do have to say - not as bad as when on all klonopin. 

I wanted to share my cross over experience over to Valium. My Dr recommended I do the Ashton way with a slow cross over. I felt so sick on the Ativan that I decided to do a one day switch and not listen to my Dr, Stupid I know. If you look at my signature you can see also I should have started at 40 mgs of Valium not 30. I can't remember who's fault that one was, but maybe mine since I was not thinking straight. I recall it being a pretty rough period for a bit over two weeks, then things started to get way better. I was ready to start my taper a about three weeks after the cross over.

I felt so much better on the Valium, most of my physical symptoms went away once the Valium kicked in. I do not recommend doing the cross over like I did, but the switch was worth it in my opinion. Just a post give hope to others considering it.

I wanted to share my cross over experience over to Valium. My Dr recommended I do the Ashton way with a slow cross over. I felt so sick on the Ativan that I decided to do a one day switch and not listen to my Dr, Stupid I know. If you look at my signature you can see also I should have started at 40 mgs of Valium not 30. I can't remember who's fault that one was, but maybe mine since I was not thinking straight. I recall it being a pretty rough period for a bit over two weeks, then things started to get way better. I was ready to start my taper a about three weeks after the cross over.

I felt so much better on the Valium, most of my physical symptoms went away once the Valium kicked in. I do not recommend doing the cross over like I did, but the switch was worth it in my opinion. Just a post give hope to others considering it.

Hi Nosery,

Thanks for posting this.

It makes me wonder if u could have directly moved to the valium if it had been 40mg?

K-girl one ofthe secrets to success is c/o to the exact equivalent dose. If yu do not want to equalize your dose a good long hold with symptoms may do it of 4 weeks.

Nosery - thanks for sharing don,t forget to drop in the valium thread

etown

[23...]

Lainy, I feel weird. Like I just woke up after three days of sleeping.

I have a big head ache and I'm a little jittery still. But feel much calmer...thank you.

How are you?

To all: weird question maybe.

I understand the concept of trying to confuse the brain by doing things to distract it or confuse it.

I read that in Parker's post.

My husband put vaporub om my head last night and he did hot and cold towels and all stuff odd.

I was just wondering...it did help with distract ting.

But what happens the other way around?

What if I would feel okay and take a cold shower or put vaporub on my face...would that also confuse the brain then and maybe make me feel less good? Like its now interrupting the good equilibrium ?

I realize it sounds simpleton. But I can't really think straight anyways today.

Kind of like I had surgery yesterday and now just came to. I can't explain it. I got a good punch, that's for sure.

mom just to let you know, I have arthritis in my neck and it cause me to have dizziness ALL the time along with having inner ear problems.

I get shakey feeling and my hands will tremble and then I just feel totally spaced out, which provokes anxiety in me.

today was a full day of feeling unstable, jelly legs, off balanced, scared.

so that's why I asked how you feel. was wondering if we are experiencing same issues

I am so glad that you made it through last night. you had me scared, can't speak for the rest of you all but I for one was scared for her.

ETOWN is now my go to man when I c/o :smitten:

Hey guys I've made mt share of mistakes too I've just learned how to keep them to a minimum.

Mom - if you do all the stuff you did last night you probably wouldn't feel any different. Your brain is off doing other things when you feel good so no need for confusion. lol

If we taper at a dose that is right, a taper speed that is smart, and a taper rate that is sensible, our onlt thing is time. I'll takes feeling good any day.

etown

My mom has been having the serious jittery feeling which triggers panics for months because her dose was not right.

It went away after the updose, but is back, not as bad, so her dose is not right, yet.

Her breathing problem got a little worse with the updose, but that is probably the nature of the uderlying ativan damage that will take longer to heal.

The valium never completely erradicated that problem from day one, so that is her baseline til healing.

[23...]

Mrmteo, your mom also has emphysema, right? So the breathing might have to do more with that than Ativan, maybe too?

It's an awful thing to have. My dad struggles with it too.

Etown, these waves and windows are so frustrating. One day I can actually do something ( simple stuff like make lunch, wash my hair, read a book) and the other, it is full blown panic.

Is there any knowledge about how long waves will last compared to the days you have windows?

If you have more good than bad days, does that mean the waves are going shorter?

Or is it absolutely random ? You can have 10 good days and then 29 bead ones? Or the other way around?

Mrmteo, your mom also has emphysema, right? So the breathing might have to do more with that than Ativan, maybe too?

It's an awful thing to have. My dad struggles with it too.

yes she has emphysema, but it is not the emphysema that caused the breathing issue.

It was definitely the ativan and I am not going to explain that story again.

The ativan screwed up her respiratory center in her brain.

[23...]

I'm sorry, I didn't know you had been Into that all here before. Must have been before I go here :-\

I didn't mean to imply anything. My dad is having a hard time and I thought about that when I saw your post...

I definately know about how Ativan screws things up. I had breathing issues with Ativan too and I was very healthy before that. The breathing is about the only thing I don't have right now.

Sorry if I ticked you off. I didn't meant to. I really appreciate all your help. :smitten:

Mom waves and windows are random. it is these waves and windows that us symptom based taperers avoid by tapering this way. I've never experienced waves or windows.

etown

I'm sorry, I didn't know you had been Into that all here before. Must have been before I go here :-\

I didn't mean to imply anything. My dad is having a hard time and I thought about that when I saw your post...

I definately know about how Ativan screws things up. I had breathing issues with Ativan too and I was very healthy before that. The breathing is about the only thing I don't have right now.

Sorry if I ticked you off. I didn't meant to. I really appreciate all your help. :smitten:

Hi mom,

U didn't tick me off.

It is just way too long a story to show the point and I don't have the time to post it.

Onelove had the same issue my mom had, but her's resolved after directly switching to the valium.

My mom was in acute wd for a month before and was kindling.

[23...]

Yep, will be starting the doctor/ Valium hunt again on Monday, E.

Worst case, when I still can't find a human to give it to me, I will be experiencing these waves an windows then all the time, huh?

Do you know if there comes a point where the body gets used to this amount and then the Wd symptoms get less. And then start to taper?

Or will I just be screwed no matter what and will have to start tapering after holding this dose for a month or whatever.

Mom - it will take you as long to stabilize at it would to taper from the 30mg you should be on to 15mg where you are. It will happen eventually but I would never do it. I would move heaven and earth to get the Valium That's where Mr. Mom comes in. If it were my wife I can guarantee you I would find Valium.

etown

[23...]

He is doing all he can. Believe me....

It has been very hard for him too to see me like this. It is hard to understand when you have never been there, but he is giving it his all. Taking care of our son, cooking, working, errands, driving me to appointments. I'm surprised he has not collapsed himself.

He is also still learning and we are giving it our all to get more of the damned benzo.

He is a trooper. I'm so fortunate to have a supporting spouse. When I read some stories of people who get no support at home or who have no partner at all, it's even worse.

My wife has been good too. One of the reasons I decided to go slow though is because no matter how hard she trys she can't ever really understand. So I had to take control and take care of me. I leave her out of it as much as possible now.

Our marriage is preBenzo now

etown

[23...]

That's great. I mean, it can be hard on your marriage this stuff, for sure.

But we will pull through. It's not a pleasant sight when your wife melts down all the time.

He is there and he will be and I'm grateful.

You're doing great :smitten:

[26...]

Hello everyone!!!

Im still feeling great! I just keep wondering--is the sh*t is gonna hit the fan in a week or 2???

I found this Phase II interesting of Reg Peart's sample protocol.

Phase II is the steady state accumulation period. Diazepam metabolizes into the active metabolites: desmethyldiazepam, oxazepam and temazepam with an overall half-life of about 9 days. Ninety percent of steady state accumulation is achieved in 3.3 half lives i.e., about 30 days which should be the approximate length of Phase II and results in an accumulation of about 5 times the daily dose level. The long half-life (about 200 hours) ensures a constant level in the body and blood and prevents interdose withdrawals as long as severe tolerance effects are not in operation. Tolerance to long half-life benzo anxiolytic effects start after 2 to 6 months.

Phase II is a stabilization period and if the previous drug has effectively been eliminated (6 half lives leaves about 1 to2% in the body i.e., 12 days maximum for Xanax) the patient is usually in a state of only minor physical and mental discomfort. As the individual sensitivity can vary a lot, it may require an upward adjustment of the dose to achieve it. Try not to do this until the end of the accumulation period of 30 days.

http://www.drregpeart.org/Dr%20Peart%20Sample%20Schedules%20with%20Notes%2022Sep06.pdf

[26...]
Thanks mrmeo. I think dr Peart knows a lot about this benzo stuff. I have just started to feel somewhat dizzy/off balance, which I will accept & hope to have it diminish eventually.

Thanks mrmeo. I think dr Peart knows a lot about this benzo stuff. I have just started to feel somewhat dizzy/off balance, which I will accept & hope to have it diminish eventually.

Hi ingrid,

My mom had this out of the blue and couldn't walk to the bathroom unassisted due to a too fast taper.

I upped her dose by .18mg, she went to sleep and woke up and the dizziness, off balance and nausea was gone and hasn't returned.