Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread

[a3...]

Hi Linney  :)

I had been told originally that my doc wouldn't do it so I resigned myself to the idea of tapering the lorazepam...... have to admit it has been very difficult...

I'm a little nervous about the depression aspect, I have trouble with it pre benzos, is that something that passes? I have to say that I've been extremely depressed on lorazepam just don't want to make that worse...

The other thing I worry about is what if I have to find another pdoc and I haven't finished my taper, could I possibly wind up having difficulties getting them to continue my prescription (might be looking at a move in the next several months)...

I have heard that the v is much easier to taper, is that because it's not as strong and the pills are bigger? (tiny pills a nightmare to cut accurately for me) am looking for a gram scale so that I can be really accurate with a dry cut.... do most people dry cut or titrate v?

LOL lots of questions there,

Lightbright  :smitten:

Lightbright,

Sorry it took me this long to get back with you. Been off here most of the weekend.

#1 I cannot really tell you about the depression part. I had some bouts with it before I was put on Atian because I am going through the change of life. I had a horrid time on A and SInce I have crossed over to V 27 days ago I am doing pretty good. I get a little blue here and there and sometimes I cry for little reasons, but not full our depression. From reading on here I have read that some people do get more depressed, some don't. Everyone is different.

#2 Is very important IMO! Are you planning to do a long distance move or are you to move like to a couple hours away? If you are going to plan on doing this a prescribing doctor is a must. If you are moving a couple hours away, I would make sure I make calls and possibly get one lined up that would agree to keeping you on the meds. If you are moving long distance, that is going to be a tough call.

#3 I think that is why Ashton chose to use Valium to taper off of because it is supposed to be easier to taper from. Although, people have successfully tapered off Ativan, xanax, Klonopin.  Everyone does what they feel comfortable for them when it comes to cutting. Some ppl that dry cut end up doing LT when they get to the last couple of MG as they find it easier. I personally have no experience with this, just read other peoples signatures and stories.

Hope I answered all your questions! :) 

Lynnie

Hey Lynnie  :)

Thank you for writing back..... the moving thing is my biggest concern would be several hours away possibly so would need to find new pdoc. Have never had a problem getting someone to prescribe lorazepam but a bit worried about valium wondering if you have a history with a previous pdoc if this makes it easier?

I know this is subjective but any idea how long it would take to taper 5 mg V?

Lightbright  :smitten:

Lightbright,

I have my family physician working with me on this and no history at all with a pdoc.

I really could not answer your question on how long it will take to taper off of 5mg of V.  I think there is a place here on BB where they will help make you a taper schedule.  I will sent you the link when I find it, or maybe someone else here can chime in on that one.

First things first, see if your doc will switch you over, and if he will, IMO find a doctor where you are moving to to support this before you move. OR just wait till you move and see if you can find a doctor that will help you switch. Just my opinion, cause I don't want to see you get switched and then no doctor to keep giving you the scripts to help you taper.

Lynnie :smitten:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [la...]

• [ro...]

• [ly...]

• [et...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[00...]
Hi gang! I got home yesterday eve. Very behind on work, and will try to read up on all that happened here whilst I was gone! I will post again tomorrow, just getting house back in order and son arrived home from college same day we returned, so pure chaos right now!! I will say I did cut whilst in Bermuda, now down to 9mg and feeling well, but I'll explain all that and why I did it. May have been a  :crazy: move but I threw caution to the wind and just decided to cut. Hope all are doing well! :)

[a3...]

Hi gang! I got home yesterday eve. Very behind on work, and will try to read up on all that happened here whilst I was gone! I will post again tomorrow, just getting house back in order and son arrived home from college same day we returned, so pure chaos right now!! I will say I did cut whilst in Bermuda, now down to 9mg and feeling well, but I'll explain all that and why I did it. May have been a  :crazy: move but I threw caution to the wind and just decided to cut. Hope all are doing well! :)

Welcome back Iggmeister. Just posted on the V thread as well. Hope you will settle soon and let us all know how it went. :smitten:

Hi Mom and all. One thing I have heard is a cross over to V MAY increase depression. I cant read every post to see if anyone posted on this subject. Anyone ever suffer from this experience? My depression is terrible, I dont want to make it worse.

What reasons would we NOT want to do a c/o is the question I might pose...Tnx!

I think valium does probably cause more depression than other benzos. I have heard it said that some of the reason US Drs prefer K to V is this reason.

Each benzo has a few little quirks. K seems to cause aggression more than many other benzos for instance.

All benzos are crap. You don't get the perfect benzo to taper from because they all suck. You just choose the best for you.

There are some good reasons for using V to taper. Prof Ashton elucidates on this topic well. But I don't think people would suggest a c/o unless someone is struggling to taper further on their current benzo and/or is getting bad interdose w/d. If you have these problems than Valium tends to be the best of a bad lot.

You wouldn't switch anyway would you groove? You aren't on any benzos now right? Just tapering the gabapentin?

Tnx Smiff. Yes I am on Klonopin, down to .3125 in a 3 month taper from 1mg so far. I really dont have interdose wd, not yet anyways. My biggest problems are severe depression, lethargy. I am non functioning ever since i hit tolerance one year ago almost now. I may have been in K tolerance before then, but the G was masking it. Then i think i hit tolerance on it also and thats when i really lost it unable to get out of bed until 3-4pm everday for 11 months now. That has its own set of problems obviously.

My muscles are so out of shape etc. No activity really is bad, but i wake up so ill most days i just have to go back to bed.

Yes I think Valium definitely increases depression, also making me lethargic.  Have to go and lay down every day at 2:30pm.  Crazy.  Only sleep for 15 min but just don't want to get up.  DP, DR, acid reflux.

xo OC  :smitten:

Im in bed all day most days, but am seeing this lift somedays. Like you though even with no afternoon dose of K i only take it at night, i get soooo tired i just have to lay down and close my eyes for a toxic nap. Then i get up and feel more depression and just crappy. Ive decided already to not do a c/o. I appreciate the input.

[a3...]

I get depression on and off. There are hours I feel fine and then suddenly I'm crying and feeling just hopeless.

Some days are actually depression free.

But when it hits, and after the cut, it's the worst.

But it always lifts again, for me....

Morning.. I have been so depressed on the valium, Moo and buddies. I have past ruminating, etc..So tired also, I have to push so hard to do dialy activities...Have a wedding shower coming up at my house in two weeks..My only sister here. I will do the best I can..She talks to me on phone alot. Don't get to see her much . The depression, and lethargy....I didn't know this when I decided to change over...Oh, Moo I hope I get better, cry everyday, esp when husband goes to work. Im so not myself, can't get a job now...just trying to do household, dog, bathe myself, bills, see mother's affairs..The "run over by a truck" feeling is awful...I want to get better. I have come down from 2mgs of ativan and Im proud , but this process seems so long and sad for me.... Im falling short..I dont look the same, my house..my garden...sorry , Im missing out..Hate this..

[a3...]

Morning.. I have been so depressed on the valium, Moo and buddies. I have past ruminating, etc..So tired also, I have to push so hard to do dialy activities...Have a wedding shower coming up at my house in two weeks..My only sister here. I will do the best I can..She talks to me on phone alot. Don't get to see her much . The depression, and lethargy....I didn't know this when I decided to change over...Oh, Moo I hope I get better, cry everyday, esp when husband goes to work. Im so not myself, can't get a job now...just trying to do household, dog, bathe myself, bills, see mother's affairs..The "run over by a truck" feeling is awful...I want to get better. I have come down from 2mgs of ativan and Im proud , but this process seems so long and sad for me.... Im falling short..I dont look the same, my house..my garden...sorry , Im missing out..Hate this..

Yes Rose, the process is long and not easy. We need to get rid of this benzo. It's the only way.

I don't look the same. My face went 20 years I to the future. My pile of laundry is ridiculous and some days I don't even take a shower. My household is none, really. I used to have a very tidy and Clean house. Those things? They are not I portent right now.

You want to do it, but it just isn't happening.

No, your not yourself. Be patient with yourself right now..okay ?

The shower : can you have someone help on that? I know I woud not be able to pull that off either.

It is the way it is. You're the most important right now.

Does your sister understand? When you talk and explain?

Maybe they can have their shower at your home, but you stay on the side and go to your bedroom here and there?

I have people staying at my house for 2 weeks and I can't cook for them. It's the way it is. It's hard to accept but I just can't.

You're on the right path IMO Rose...it will get better when more stable.  :smitten:

Me too, I just took a bath after 2 days. My house very dusty, try to keep up..I know...

My niece will help with the wedding shower. Im just nervous about guests and how I look and my home.. I may hire a houscleaner to help a few days before.. Just not wanting to socialize much..

Maybe I will feel more joy soon...

Patience...working on it Mom..you are a treasure. Thanks again for replies :smitten:

[a3...]

Me too, I just took a bath after 2 days. My house very dusty, try to keep up..I know...

My niece will help with the wedding shower. Im just nervous about guests and how I look and my home.. I may hire a houscleaner to help a few days before.. Just not wanting to socialize much..

Maybe I will feel more joy soon...

Patience...working on it Mom..you are a treasure. Thanks again for replies :smitten:

Yes, ask for help. You can't take all that one right now.... :smitten:

Rose:  definitely ask for help.  This is not the time to be taking on more stress!  Believe me I know.

xo OC  :smitten: :smitten:

Mom, lynn, overcomer...will ask niece for help. Will just dust and tidy up. Order all food. Simple decorations..Will be from 1-3pm I believe Sat after next.. ugh!

My sis (getting remarried) has been an angel to me, she listens when I call, even though she doesn't know how to help, she listens..love her so

That's why I have to do this shower...It may help my sadness to see her happy and see some gals...Hope my jitters and social panic let up by then ...I hope  :)

They are coming for love and fun, not to judge me I know on my house....I will smile even if I have to fake it a bit....

Mom, lynn, overcomer...will ask niece for help. Will just dust and tidy up. Order all food. Simple decorations..Will be from 1-3pm I believe Sat after next.. ugh!

My sis (getting remarried) has been an angel to me, she listens when I call, even though she doesn't know how to help, she listens..love her so

That's why I have to do this shower...It may help my sadness to see her happy and see some gals...Hope my jitters and social panic let up by then ...I hope  :)

They are coming for love and fun, not to judge me I know on my house....I will smile even if I have to fake it a bit....

Let's just hope since it is the Sat. after next that you will feel much better by then. Glad you are going to ask for help. :)

lynn

overcomer,I need that so much. Thank you. Scared tis morning..maybe w/ds..I feel alone. Took  bld press med and will take V at 11am. Gosh Im so glad you are all here. Husband left for work. Love you all 

Im sooooo sad....Im a weak one, you all keep going. Im crying now. Praying for my strength. It's only 10:30am. Oh dear.

Don't want to scare new members. Just me, stressed out, sorry buddies..

I know you are having a hard time as am I.  I haven't felt good in months and there are many of us who feel like this day after day.  Some days are more bearable than others - others are 'bed days'.  Each day though you need to tell yourself that your body is healing and you are getting better.  Valium doesn't give me depression it makes me totally spaced out, leaves me anxious and nauseous every day.  If I could just cold turkey I would but we both know that is not the answer.  I do meditation - some days it helps others not so much. I do a beginning yoga tape - again some days it helps others not so much.  But listen to me - you will do this, you can do this, many have been through this and been where we are now and are okay - they just don't post on BB anymore because they are fine and too busy living their lives.  So every minute you get through is a minute you are healing and tell  yourself this over and over again -let your mind take over your body - and understand when things are awful it is not YOU is is the DRUG - and in order to get better we all have to heal.  I failed two tapers and I am back here - had I stuck it out I would be done now -so believe me I know going backwards is not the answer.  As miserable as I was I should have just pushed through - because now it is worse not better and all those months I suffered were for naught.  Rose you will be fine - we all need to tell ourselves this each and every day. 

Kgirl. I will try so hard to keep reminding myself it is the benzo w/ds. You must know how much it means to me to read your rely. It truely helps keepe going. This is the hardest thing I have ever been thru so far. The vlium does make me more depressed. I have been down from family issues. This just feels much worse. yes, some days what works, doesn't work on a different day. You are right. You sound wise now Kgirl, strong..I want to be like that too. I take it minute by minute lately. This robs us of joy and peace of mind. Im fighting it so that i can feel those things again. It gets hard you know day after day..I keep thinking Im healing...I do so want it more than anything, as you and all the members. You are so kind to reply and encourage. Thank you for reaching out Kgirl... :smitten:  rose

Rose and Kgirl,

I am not a poster child of a success story yet, but my taper was long and brutal.  If I did it so can you.  It feels better to know I will never take another benxo and I have begun to heal without having more withdrawals every time I made a cut.  It still feels like this nightmare will never end but I have faith I will be healthy again.  Trust me...you both can do it if I did

drew, thanks for your honesty and encouragement. I get worried because I am working thru some exteme family issues now also. I don't want to lose it. Feel really challanged right now. Fighting hard.  :smitten:  much respect to you