Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Did anyone here experience their cognition (memory, speed of thought, focus) returning to normal eventually after stopping Z-drugs?

Semmieboy,

Hi there. Yes, I am almost 21 months off Lunesta and Sonata and I do think my brain is working much better!  There is hope!

take care,

Helen

Hi Helen, thank you for the reply. Apologies if this is pedantic as I know it's much of my anxiety speaking but--

Do you feel like you've completely returned to baseline in terms of memory, focus, reasoning - this kind of thing? Returned

to how you were before you ever started?

It's been my biggest problem.

Thank you and sorry if it brings up bad memories.

----

Also I'm concerned about what I could have done to my GABA receptors with how I took Lunesta and Ambien - for about two months, it wasn't steady. I'd have half-hearted attempts at lowering the dose to 'see how I feel' or if I could sleep with less, combining the two, or abruptly switching them.

It was like there were these multiple marked decreases in my cognitive function; my ability to turn things over in my mind, visualize, and my inner monologue kept getting more and more quiet. Now I can barely hear it, and can only briefly procure a quick, blurry picture in my head for a fraction of a second.

Could this be why my mental cognition got so bad so quickly, while other people seem more or less functional after years and years of Z-drugs?

Just want all this to stop, sorry

It's hard to say exactly.  I'm not sure I'm 100% but I'm also almost 16 years older than when I first started the meds.  My brain is pretty sharp though and it most definitely was NOT before.  Can you sit and read or is it too hard to focus? If it helps you, I read over 50 books last year and solved about a thousand word puzzles and improved in my speaking of a 2nd language.  I still have a few moments of difficulty with word retrieval.  And occasionally, I'll just feel sort of detached but that is becoming less frequent. I was having a terrible time finding things before like my phone, remote controls, etc and that is improving steadily.  I strongly believe your brain will repair and start functioning better as time goes.  Be good to it and gentle with yourself. 

Oh I now see the second part of your message.  Oh my gosh...I took Xanax, Lunesta and Sonata randomly and heavily for about 15 years so what you are telling me about the random use for 2 months doesn't change my opinion at all for your chances of recovery. Believe me...I took  A LOT and every single day AND I was drinking wine the last few years. I really went all in on messing up all of my receptors.  But I am most definitely improving.  You will too.

Hang on...

Helen

Thank you, it helps to see that you have gone through something similar with the drug switches and instability in this way.

I can't really read it's like, I see the words, and I repeat them in my mind, but then I forget them and I forget what's going on in the book. I have no insight into the characters or anything I would have before. It's like everything is just taken at face value and has no meaning to me. I'm reading words, but the words mean nothing. It's how my mind kind of processes everything now when I'm not totally ruminating - like the only response it can give to anything is a confused, ambivalent "Okay?"

Thanks again.

Semmie,

I felt like that for several years while on the meds and then for a little while afterward but it's not like that anymore. 

Are you still tapering?

Semmie,

I felt like that for several years while on the meds and then for a little while afterward but it's not like that anymore. 

Are you still tapering?

Hi, yes, I'm rapidly tapering down after reading some old posts from WorriedDad about his recovery. Down from 3mg to 1mg Lunesta in one week. I am actually feeling some tiny improvements. Trying to be optimistic, I just hope it continues as I keep getting down and then better after I stop.

Did anyone here experience their cognition (memory, speed of thought, focus) returning to normal eventually after stopping Z-drugs?

Yes!

And it made me realize just how awful the zdrug wasn’t. I didn’t realize how it so sneakily stole my reasoning, memories, focus and much more until after I came off it. Then I was like WOW!!!

But I thank God it returned to normal.

Hugs to you Katz! Good to see your post although not directed to me. Thank you for being such an awesome person

Helen I’m doing fine. Making progress, enjoying my new life as it unfolds, walking more and rode in the car successfully two days ago. I’m over the moon happy! I’m planning on doing it again this evening. How are you doing?

Jerry I’m glad to see you celebrate your 3 months! You’re awesome 👏 Thank you for your well wishes in my progress. I also am cheering you on. Your new psychologist sounds good. Hopefully all will remain well with your visits with him.

Sending everyone my love…hugs and happy healing!

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I cut from 3mg to .5mg within a week. Was going fine but I think I was just laying in bed for 16 hours having these little shocks going through me - heart beat was unsteady and seemed to be beating in different parts of my body, sometimes extremely fast. Kept waking up, wasn't really asleep, even with seroquel.

Couldn't think at all.

Please someone just tell me it's all going to stop and my brain is not permanently damaged.

I reviewed every pill I took on the pharmacies website, and it seems I only took Lunesta/Eszopiclone for a little bit under two months. I feel like this is the drug that utterly robbed my brain - I was more or less okay on Ambien for the prior three months, aside from the insomnia. I don't feel human, don't feel like me. Don't hear my memory - every tap on the keyboard is so loud it hurts my ears.

Did anyone here feel much, much closer to normal after 1 month off? Can 100% normalcy even be returned to?? I read these sentences and they have no meaning to me, like anything longer than a few words just doesn't register - I can't turn sentences around in the front of my brain.

i am so terrible at everything i used to do

i tried to play a game i used to

i cant compete

i cant keep up

i cant learn, i used to learn languages

nothing sticks in my head

i don't understand concepts

i don't have awareness of anything going on around me.

i cant do this

Ha Zzers,

I have some really bad days. The usual bad mornings/noons. I also woke up earlier than normal. I am not in the mood for playing my saxophones. The only thing I do is watching some tv, play some games on my Ipad and sit on my bench. Yesterday I went swimming, so not today. It is what it is…  :crazy:

Jerry :'(

Sorry Jerry you’re having a rough patch. It will calm down soon. You’re doing better than you think. The feeling bad is normal. That’s how this goes…back and forth. But you know that lol I’m sending you big hug my friend! Hope you get back to swimming again soon.

❤️ love you

Morning hugs and love Team Z! Happy weekend. Go enjoy the sun. Call a friend or relative to do something with. Enjoy your day. Hang in there!

Happy healing wishes to you all.

❤️

Hi everyone

On here to post a question that I’ve asked before, but just wondering if there’s any new insight…

Are z drugs easier or harder to withdraw from than benzos like Valium?

And do symptoms on z drugs (like insomnia, burning skin, heart racing) improve as you reduce the dose? I’ve heard that with Valium the symptoms can get worse the lower you go…

Thanks in advance

Katie

Good morning Team Z! I hope everyone had a great weekend and was in windows so you can enjoy. I’m doing fine still. Little uptick in my waves but they’re bearable. We are on medium to high pollen alert here on the east coast USA. And wow this early spring already is making allergy sufferers miserable. I’m one of them. But I’ve not let that stop my walks. I put a mask on and go for it! I’m loving the pretty white blooms on the dogwoods. Beautiful!

KT I don’t have anything new to add to what’s already been addressed. I only can say that for some people zdrug is worse and some Valium is. It’s an individual thing IMO. I don’t have any experience with Valium and so glad I don’t! All the stories I’ve read or heard are terrible on that drug. But it’s natural with either one of those to give you symptoms as you come down on your dosage. It’s why it’s recommended to go low and slow. Give the brain time to adjust between the reductions as you go down ( about 2 weeks if using Ashton regular method). This has the highest rate of success and softer landing when taper is complete ( speaking from others experiences). As far as me…it was my experience as well. I wish you a successful taper.

Helen 🌹❤️

Jerry ❤️🌹

Miss and love you!

Ktkat, speaking just for myself, Ambien was  a LOT easier to withdraw from than valium. Valium took me 3+ years  . . . Ambien only 6 months (and I could have gone faster). I didn't experience many wd s/x -- mainly headaches and feeling crappy. Of course, sleep disturbances also. But really, I'd been on Ambien for 10 years and it had long ago stopped working. I tried a lot of fixes for my insomnia -- some worked well, some not so well -- but eventually everything settled out and I can now sleep "naturally" again.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Thanks so much, guys and I’m so sorry to ask the same question again! I’m suffering from another condition and hence why I still haven’t started my taper. Thank you so much again for sharing your opinions

Katie 

Ps I suffer so badly from interdose withdrawal every day that I’m hoping things might be easier if I get to a lower dose

Ps I suffer so badly from interdose withdrawal every day that I’m hoping things might be easier if I get to a lower dose

I always hesitate to share my experience with Ambien because I don't want to be seen as endorsing it but its good to get different perspectives.  I quit Klonopin cold turkey, about 5 months later I started Ambien knowing full well it was a mistake but I rationalized it of course. 8 months later I was taking large doses of it because I'd grown tolerant, in the end I was only getting 3 hours a night.  I blamed everything I was feeling on my cold turkey from Klonopin but one night I said, that's it, I'm done and stopped.  No sleep for a few nights and horrible, hideous slasher dreams but I felt wonderful.  I was tired and traumatized from lack of sleep and bad dreams but I had no inner trembling, no interdose, no anxiety, no nervous ticks like rubbing my tongue on the roof of my mouth until I had blisters and most importantly, no dark and dangerous thoughts. 

I have no idea when I recovered from my cold turkey from Klonopin but I have no doubt my continued use of Ambien made me sick and kept me sick.  I have a new relationship with sleep, I no longer chase it, it comes when it comes and life is good.

What exactly were the symptoms that resolved completely once you stopped Ambien, Pamster?

These are what I remember, its been a long time, its been 15 years.

I always hesitate to share my experience with Ambien because I don't want to be seen as endorsing it but its good to get different perspectives.  I quit Klonopin cold turkey, about 5 months later I started Ambien knowing full well it was a mistake but I rationalized it of course. 8 months later I was taking large doses of it because I'd grown tolerant, in the end I was only getting 3 hours a night.  I blamed everything I was feeling on my cold turkey from Klonopin but one night I said, that's it, I'm done and stopped.  No sleep for a few nights and horrible, hideous slasher dreams but I felt wonderful.  I was tired and traumatized from lack of sleep and bad dreams but I had no inner trembling, no interdose, no anxiety, no nervous ticks like rubbing my tongue on the roof of my mouth until I had blisters and most importantly, no dark and dangerous thoughts. 

I have no idea when I recovered from my cold turkey from Klonopin but I have no doubt my continued use of Ambien made me sick and kept me sick.  I have a new relationship with sleep, I no longer chase it, it comes when it comes and life is good.

Thanks pamster. Just out of interest, joe much Ambien were you on when you stopped it?

Thanks pamster. Just out of interest, joe much Ambien were you on when you stopped it?

I'm embarrassed to admit this but full disclosure, my issues with benzo's and z-drugs are the same as my issue with alcohol, I've been sober since 1991 but like an idiot started messing around with benzo's about 10 years later and it went badly of course.  Anyway, at the end of my Ambien use I was taking it to get to sleep and taking it to stay asleep.  Because Ambien is a hypnotic, I may not even remember how much I took but at the end it could have been up to 60 mgs a day.  All or nothing for me it seems, thank goodness its nothing now.

Hello Everyone,

Just dropped by to post an update. It's been six months since I completed my taper off 10 mgs of Ambien.

Everything, except alas sleep, is much much, much better.

At night, I still take a small dose of magnesium, 1.5 mg melatonin and some glycine before bed.

Also sometimes take l-trytophan and valerian or hops when I wake in the night.

I know this is not ideal and I plan to start tapering those very soon.

I feel like the supplements helped ease the taper (I take taurine and lithium orotate in the morning) but I wonder if they are counterproductive now...

I can't say I'm recovered because my sleep is still very bad. I get some nights of six hours and some completely sleepless nights.

Had a spell of 6-7 hours sleep per night at about 3-4 months out but recently things have gone south in a big, big way.

Frustrated and discouraged right now but still this is infinitely better than being on the Ambien and Rohypnol.

I'm very seriously considering starting a CBT-i program with Martin Reed who seems reputable but don't know if I'm recovered enough to make it worthwhile and effective. Anyone care to venture an opinion? 

Thanks to everyone here who has offered support (and continues to) along the way.

Hope everyone is well.

Best,

Agoura

Agoura it’s been my experience that CBT-I was very beneficial for me. I began it at the same time as my taper. It has served me very well to fall asleep naturally. I’m still using it every night and will continue for the rest of my life. Soothing relaxation music with no words ( spa music especially water sounds) has been great too. And even instrumental lullabies. For some reason it made me revert back to being a sleepy little child at bedtime…I’d nod off with a smile on my face, cozy, warm and relaxed.

Wow Pam you were on a high dose. I’m glad it all turned out well for you. I also had terrifying nightmares off and on for awhile. Ambien is a culprit for those when you come off. It’s all a part of returning the brain to normal. I also had the brain zaps every night when falling asleep. They are now as of 2 months ago nearly non-existing. Time is surely what’s needed to heal.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I’m planning on going for another ride in the car.  :thumbsup:

Wooohoo  🥳

Love ❤️ and 🤗 hugs

I'm embarrassed to admit this but full disclosure, my issues with benzo's and z-drugs are the same as my issue with alcohol, I've been sober since 1991 but like an idiot started messing around with benzo's about 10 years later and it went badly of course.  Anyway, at the end of my Ambien use I was taking it to get to sleep and taking it to stay asleep.  Because Ambien is a hypnotic, I may not even remember how much I took but at the end it could have been up to 60 mgs a day.  All or nothing for me it seems, thank goodness its nothing now.

Wow that’s such an impressive cold turkey

I was prescribed zopiclone for 2 to 3 months as temazepam was then not available.  I hated the zopiclone.  It did help me sleep but I had to double up the 7.5 mg dose or mess around with the doses to avoid feeling like absolute $$$ - I felt like $$$ anyway.  Bad intestinal distress and interdose withdrawals, including feelings of panic etc.  I kept this to myself and didn't tell anyone apart from my husband and a couple of close friends. I now have a prescription for temazepam again. Thanks for this thread!