Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Ha Hellen and LadyDen,

Is very nice that you care for me and think of me. I am in a very tough period. I am still using other medication, which I have been using for years. An anti depressivant, citalopram,  and an anti psychotic, clozapine. These two mix not good together I discovered a long while ago on a Dutch official medication website. Therefor, I think, that that is the reason for my horrible mornings and noons too. So the plan I made with my shrink is to slowly taper citalopram soon.  I waited with this taper till I was finished with the zopiclon taper. I think it was not a good idea to do these simultaneously, so therefor I waited so long. I wait with the start of this taper till I have had my birthday, coming Saturday the 11th February, when I will become 50 years. A real milestone, considering my mental state. I wished I would have reached that in a much healthier condition, but it is what it is. I also organize a small party with a few friends.

Hugggs Jerry  :thumbsup:

Your plan sounds good to me. I wish you success on your tapering off. You can do it! And I agree that you might feel much better pretty quickly as you taper.

I also thank you for caring for me too. I only want to see you doing well, enjoying your art and your dad. Happy!

I’m wishing you an early happy happy happy 50th birthday my friend! 🎁🎂🎈❤️

I hope it will be the best day.

:hug::highfive::balloon:

Thank you for wishing me a very nice birthday. 😇 🌷🎈Tomorrow my friends will come first to my appartment in the noon. Than we visit the special wooden house of my sax teacher. He will show us around. Then we go to the house of my father and we dine with very good sushi. We are with six people in total. A small group but thats fine by me. Before all of this I will go swimming…. Huggs Jerry  :thumbsup:

Ha Jørgen, I hope you are improving, I experience it as a very slow process.  I wish you lot of luck…

Helen, I hope you will  get better from your cold. A lot of people get sick here in Holland. I hope you will get more waves….

Hi everyone!

I’m new to this group and here is my story.

I was using zopiclone for 2 months, but didn’t actually take it every night. I took maybe 20 pills in total, but noticed that my sleep got progressively worse without the drug so I stopped. In my case I was never struggling with sleep, and was put on them after a couple of nights of “bad sleep” caused by exam anxiety. I didn’t noticed how quickly I got hooked on them, and was never informed on how addictive they were, and stopped when I realized that. Then I developed insomnia, heart palpitations and tinnitus. Have any of you had heart palpitations, anxiety or tinnitus and did they go away?

It’s been 4 months since I “jumped” and my sleep has gotten a bit better, but it’s still not what it was prior to the drug. I’m getting between 5-7 hours on good nights, but the sleep feels very light and I’m waking up multiple times a night. I’m also getting some sleepless nights.

I was wandering if any of you had nights where you would wake up every 2-3 hours or so?

Any advice would mean a world to me!

Thank you! 

Hi everyone!

I’m new to this group and here is my story.

I was using zopiclone for 2 months, but didn’t actually take it every night. I took maybe 20 pills in total, but noticed that my sleep got progressively worse without the drug so I stopped. In my case I was never struggling with sleep, and was put on them after a couple of nights of “bad sleep” caused by exam anxiety. I didn’t noticed how quickly I got hooked on them, and was never informed on how addictive they were, and stopped when I realized that. Then I developed insomnia, heart palpitations and tinnitus. Have any of you had heart palpitations, anxiety or tinnitus and did they go away?

It’s been 4 months since I “jumped” and my sleep has gotten a bit better, but it’s still not what it was prior to the drug. I’m getting between 5-7 hours on good nights, but the sleep feels very light and I’m waking up multiple times a night. I’m also getting some sleepless nights.

I was wandering if any of you had nights where you would wake up every 2-3 hours or so?

Any advice would mean a world to me!

Thank you!

I can see you’ve made steady progress but you’re not quite there yet.  You were so wise to stop taking the drug when you did, your recovery while slow is steady and it looks like you’ll finally be free from this soon.  I’m happy you’re not looking at years like so many are.

Best advice, keep doing what you’re doing, don’t look for artificial methods to get your sleep back, your body knows what to do and it will when you’re fully recovered.

cur019,

You were SO smart to stop the pills when you did.  I wasn't aware enough to realize the Lunesta was making me feel weird but it definitely was and I took sleeping pills for over 15 years.  You are definitely going to get better and Pam is right.  Avoid other artificial means of  getting to sleep like the plague.  Yes, it's very typical to have palpitations and broken sleep and tinnitus and anxiety.  I have a feeling that's going to go away soon for you if you stay the course.  Avoid alcohol while you are getting past this as well.

Sorry for the uncomfortable symptoms but again, congrats to you for recognizing it was the Zoplicione causing you problems. You have a clear path ahead of you to heal.  Eat healthy food, stick to a constant bedtime routine, do some deep breathing and let it all heal.

You've got this...

Helen

Dear Pamster and Helen,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your encouraging words! Yes, I will stay away from any sleep aids and alcohol. I hope this won't last for too long.

I'm actually a medical student from Norway. When I become a doctor, I will do EVERYTHING in my power to inform people about the damage these horrible drugs can do. Like probably all of us do, I just can't understand why doctors and the medical community don't acknowledge benzodiazepine withdrawal. My doctor just laughed at me and told me that it couldn't possibly be the Zopiclone that was causing these symptoms, but rather depression, which I certainly don't have. I guess what I can learn from that is acceptance and forgiveness.

I just have one question for you guys. Have you seen any improvement since you stopped taking the drug? I know that I've only been in withdrawal for 4 months, but it feels like forever.

Thank you!

cur019

Ha Cur19,

I have been using zopiclone for many many years, from 2006, but always in a low dosage, still enough to cause interdose withdrawel. After a very slow taper I finally managed to come of it, and so now I am almost 3 months off it. I am still haveing anxiety (mostly height anxiety) problems. But I hope this will slowly improve. So I wouldn’t worry too much, if I was you.

Huggs,

Jerry

Cur,

I'm so glad you will do what you can to inform people in the medical community about this "plague". It's really quite something and very few doctors adknowlege it or are aware of it.

To answer your question, YES, I am feeling better even after all those years of heavy doses of Z drugs and benzos.  You will get better soon. 

Helen

Hi Cur! Welcome to Team Z! I agree with everyone that you were SMART to stop when you did. I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t go on to heal pretty quickly ( in comparison to us who took it longer). You’re doing well getting 5-7 hours although your sleep is broken. That is still very good. It will take some time to return to your normal sleep. Time. Patience. Good sleep routine/ hygiene. Healthy diet. Taking walks. You’ll be just fine.  :thumbsup:

Yes I’ve has palps and the other things you mentioned. Unfortunately it’s what these fake “ safe” pills do. But it will settle back down in time. Enjoy your day everyday and take good care.

Ha LadyDen,

Nice to see you here. How are you doing at the moment?

I have found a psychologist who is going to help me with my anxiety problems. i will start next week.

Hug,

Jerry

Ha Z group,

I hope everyone is doing ok, it is very quiet here. I have reached three months without zopiclon. Yes!!! I discovered something new, that I feel better without coffee. I now only take two cups in the morning now, but I am even thinking of quitting completely. I am much less lightheaded. My regular routine was 3 to 4 cups of normal coffee and then 4 to 5 cups of decafé. I also have the idea that decafé has a bad infuence on me. It is a pity, because I really like coffee. But I prefer to be less lightheaded. I am not much of a tea drinker, but maybe I should drink that instead of coffee. Yesterday my father and I went to a very nice concert of a choir. Monday next week it is my father’s birthday, as a present for him we go to a jazz concert.

Hugggsss Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jerry,

Congratulations on reaching 3 months!  That's wonderful and I hope your new psychologist is helpful to you. Anxiety is no fun.  I love coffee too but I've been drinking black tea mostly for the past 2 years and I love it too. It has less caffeine. I will occasionally have coffee now but not very often.

Hang in there and keep doing all the good things! I'm really happy you've made it to 3 months. Enjoy your Dad's birthday and the jazz concert.

I'm doing pretty well still. I get waves (like today) but they seem less severe and don't last as long. 

Jb and LD, I'm thinking of you!

Helen

Ha Helen, thank you for your kind words. it is good to hear, you are doing better and better, with less severe waves. For me it is hard to tell whether I have waves or windows. My days are dominated by very harsh mornings and noons. I use an anti depressivum, citalopram, which I want to taper soon. Hopefully it will reduce the mental suffering. I want to do it slow. Probably as slow as my zopiclon taper. My shrink says I can do it faster, but I don’t want to suffer too much. If a small step is easy, then I know I can do it faster. I also want my brain to heal from my zopiclone taper. What I read here in the posts on benzobuddies, is that a taper is not finished after one stops taking the benzo’s or benzo related medication. I also tried tapering the citalopram many years ago, I think too fast, and it was really tough then and reinstated.

I am also hope that Jørgen and LadyDen, and also Becksblue are doing well.

Hugs Jerry  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:

Ha LadyDen,

I have found a psychologist who is going to help me with my anxiety problems. i will start next week.

Hug,

Jerry

Jerry I’m doing fine. Still enjoying my improvements each day. Loving the extended walks mostly everyday.it’s like being reborn! I thank God for it! It’s nice of you to ask…thank you my friend!

I’m very happy that you’re going to see psychologist. Hopefully they will be of help to reduce your anxiety more.

How has your sleep been? Are you still swimming? Sax? How’s your dad?

Sending my love and hugs to you 🤗❤️

Jerry,

Congratulations on reaching 3 months!  That's wonderful and I hope your new psychologist is helpful to you. Anxiety is no fun.  I love coffee too but I've been drinking black tea mostly for the past 2 years and I love it too. It has less caffeine. I will occasionally have coffee now but not very often.

Hang in there and keep doing all the good things! I'm really happy you've made it to 3 months. Enjoy your Dad's birthday and the jazz concert.

I'm doing pretty well still. I get waves (like today) but they seem less severe and don't last as long. 

Jb and LD, I'm thinking of you!

Helen

Thinking of you too Helen! Love you bunches!  :smitten:

As far as coffee…I drink decaf ( 99% decaf). Folgers brand. Maybe Jerry can try that! It doesn’t bother me at all. I love it because it allows me to enjoy coffee with the taste and not the caffeine. I drink a nice cup with hazelnut creamer nearly every morning as I watch the birds from the patio.

I’m excited that you’re doing better. Those waves are losing steam on you….AWESOME!

Ha LadyDen,

Hug,

Jerry

Jerry I’m doing fine. Still enjoying my improvements each day. Loving the extended walks mostly everyday.it’s like being reborn! I thank God for it! It’s nice of you to ask…thank you my friend!

I’m very happy that you’re going to see psychologist. Hopefully they will be of help to reduce your anxiety more.

Ha LadyDen,

My sleep is ok.  And yes I still swim, the coming week is a holiday week, so there are more people in the pool. That is ok with me. Coming Monday my father becomes 75 years old, and my present is a ticket for a jazz concert that is in the evening in Alkmaar, where we live.

Yesterday I went to the intake talk with the psychologist. He is 73 years old, so he is very experienced. A while ago I have written a kind of autobiography, so I gave it to him to read. Our next meeting will be on 30 march, so I have to wait for some time. Still I am glad he is able to help me. It is very hard to get a psychologist at the moment.

It is great that you are able to walk now, instead of being bedridden. I hope you also sleep ok!

Huggs! Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did anyone here experience their cognition (memory, speed of thought, focus) returning to normal eventually after stopping Z-drugs?

Semmieboy,

Hi there. Yes, I am almost 21 months off Lunesta and Sonata and I do think my brain is working much better!  There is hope!

take care,

Helen

Jerry,

I'm glad you can sleep and got in to see an experienced psychologist. You sound pretty good. I hope your Dad's birthday and the concert are a lot of fun.

Helen

Ha LadyDen,

Hug,

Jerry

Ha LadyDen,

My sleep is ok.  And yes I still swim, the coming week is a holiday week, so there are more people in the pool. That is ok with me. Coming Monday my father becomes 75 years old, and my present is a ticket for a jazz concert that is in the evening in Alkmaar, where we live.

Yesterday I went to the intake talk with the psychologist. He is 73 years old, so he is very experienced. A while ago I have written a kind of autobiography, so I gave it to him to read. Our next meeting will be on 30 march, so I have to wait for some time. Still I am glad he is able to help me. It is very hard to get a psychologist at the moment.

It is great that you are able to walk now, instead of being bedridden. I hope you also sleep ok!

Huggs! Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did anyone here experience their cognition (memory, speed of thought, focus) returning to normal eventually after stopping Z-drugs?

Semmieboy,

Hi there. Yes, I am almost 21 months off Lunesta and Sonata and I do think my brain is working much better!  There is hope!

take care,

Helen

Hi Helen, thank you for the reply. Apologies if this is pedantic as I know it's much of my anxiety speaking but--

Do you feel like you've completely returned to baseline in terms of memory, focus, reasoning - this kind of thing? Returned

to how you were before you ever started?

It's been my biggest problem.

Thank you and sorry if it brings up bad memories.

----

Also I'm concerned about what I could have done to my GABA receptors with how I took Lunesta and Ambien - for about two months, it wasn't steady. I'd have half-hearted attempts at lowering the dose to 'see how I feel' or if I could sleep with less, combining the two, or abruptly switching them.

It was like there were these multiple marked decreases in my cognitive function; my ability to turn things over in my mind, visualize, and my inner monologue kept getting more and more quiet. Now I can barely hear it, and can only briefly procure a quick, blurry picture in my head for a fraction of a second.

Could this be why my mental cognition got so bad so quickly, while other people seem more or less functional after years and years of Z-drugs?

Just want all this to stop, sorry

Do you feel like you've completely returned to baseline in terms of memory, focus, reasoning - this kind of thing? Returned to how you were before you ever started?

Yes, I felt that definitely. But it took awhile. I would say after 2  years off Ambien (sorry to give bad news in terms of time) I felt back to normal in terms of mental functioning. It was a long slog -- getting off benzos then getting off Ambien. But worth it. I now have a new business that I could never have run on benzos or Z drugs.

:smitten:

Best,

Katz

Semmieboy,

take care,

Helen

Hi Helen, thank you for the reply. Apologies if this is pedantic as I know it's much of my anxiety speaking but--

Do you feel like you've completely returned to baseline in terms of memory, focus, reasoning - this kind of thing? Returned

to how you were before you ever started?

It's been my biggest problem.

Thank you and sorry if it brings up bad memories.

----

Also I'm concerned about what I could have done to my GABA receptors with how I took Lunesta and Ambien - for about two months, it wasn't steady. I'd have half-hearted attempts at lowering the dose to 'see how I feel' or if I could sleep with less, combining the two, or abruptly switching them.

It was like there were these multiple marked decreases in my cognitive function; my ability to turn things over in my mind, visualize, and my inner monologue kept getting more and more quiet. Now I can barely hear it, and can only briefly procure a quick, blurry picture in my head for a fraction of a second.

Could this be why my mental cognition got so bad so quickly, while other people seem more or less functional after years and years of Z-drugs?

Just want all this to stop, sorry

It's hard to say exactly.  I'm not sure I'm 100% but I'm also almost 16 years older than when I first started the meds.  My brain is pretty sharp though and it most definitely was NOT before.  Can you sit and read or is it too hard to focus? If it helps you, I read over 50 books last year and solved about a thousand word puzzles and improved in my speaking of a 2nd language.  I still have a few moments of difficulty with word retrieval.  And occasionally, I'll just feel sort of detached but that is becoming less frequent. I was having a terrible time finding things before like my phone, remote controls, etc and that is improving steadily.  I strongly believe your brain will repair and start functioning better as time goes.  Be good to it and gentle with yourself. 

Oh I now see the second part of your message.  Oh my gosh...I took Xanax, Lunesta and Sonata randomly and heavily for about 15 years so what you are telling me about the random use for 2 months doesn't change my opinion at all for your chances of recovery. Believe me...I took  A LOT and every single day AND I was drinking wine the last few years. I really went all in on messing up all of my receptors.  But I am most definitely improving.  You will too.

Hang on...

Helen