Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Lady Den, Helen HMB

Thank you for asking.

I actually had some improvements that started towards the end of February. We started to leave the neighborhood more. Me as a passenger. It started out going straight from our home to a local park just 5 minutes away. The ride was sometimes a bit of a challenge, but hanging out at the park with the dog playing ball with him went well. Then riding around in the car became much easier. The car sickness subsided & I am building confidence.

We went shopping for Easter. Then things improved even more. We started going to coffee shops (water for me. Coffee for hubby) & enjoying the little bistro tables outside and making little videos of this. Then when I come home to rest I edit the videos to make Instagram reels, while I am resting. They are quirky fun videos.

I started to do more because my body was allowing me. Going on rides 2x a day sometimes. Sometimes gone for just 20 min. Sometimes an hour or more. I was able to go to my sisters and pet her horses. I started to feel things "catch up" with me a bit. I hadn't been doing this much on a regular basis since last July. I started to get that "hung over" I'm doing too much feeling a week ago, & then serious fatigue. But, the boatiness & equilibrium issues have remained infrequent, mild & manageable- thank God.

I dialed it back all last week & cut back on activity. We had a "loose" (if I was up to it) invitation to go to my dads, only 30 min away, for Easter. All last week I was pretty worn out & did not think I'd be able to go. Well, Easter morning I had slept good all night & felt pretty perky & we were able to have a beautiful Easter visit with my dad & family. I laughed a lot & had fun. It was one of the best times I've had in this whole journey.

I'm forgetting some other things we've done. We've been out to parks quite a bit. When I look back on my journal March & April so far, I've been at a higher level of functioning. Today I am taking it easy & probably most of this week.Seeing how well my body bounces back.

Because I've thought I was done/healed  a few times, I get discouraged when I think I'm almost there, & I'm hit with a wave or an uptick in symptoms. . The discouragement & disappointment can cause stress, & in turn, symptoms. I have try learn to be as accepting as possible.

I have to trust the process. It is "back & forth" until it is done. It is a one day at a time thing. I have improved a lot overall. I see this improvement & i get excited. It's like an excitement mixed with fear. Fear that I'll slide backwards. But, on my good days, I don't have that fear. That fear is a symptom in itself.

After doing activities and our little excursions out of the house. I have to take resting & lulling my system down, very seriously. I meditate & use positive imagery. I'm doing this more than ever. My husband gives me at least 2 reiki treatments a day. Its just as simple as him placing his hand on my forehead and the back of my neck and transfer of positive energy. (Maybe your sweet new man can look into this & try it on you) - Its really just healing touch. He's not a reiki master or anything.

I hope I continue on this trajectory. We are spiritual people & we pray & pray. I pray for you to continue improving & everyone on here.

I still have challenging days, or parts of days that are challenging. I just want to get a little bump to that higher level with consistency so that I feel more confident. I do know if I don't sleep well, which still can happen a few times a month, I definitely need to do less that day.

So glad to hear of your exciting improvements dear.  Let's all keep moving forward.  :smitten:

So so happy that you’re getting out. I’m doing all I can to do the same. It’s a real struggle lately to ride in the car but I’m not giving up. I’m taking some motivation from you! Thanks for the detailed post….I needed it!

Big hugs to you Miss F! I’m proud of you dear lady! Great job!

Jerry….check in buddy! How are you?

Hope you’re doing good.

Love and hugs 🤗

Ha LadyDen,

I already wrote you a message, a page back, I guess you didn’t see it. I am busy with my new taper of an anti depressivant. Every two weeks a new step. I do it slow, so I can live my life normally. It will probably cost me just less than a year, but that is fine by me. I think that is the best way to do it. Just like with my zopiclone taper which is a success. Because of the side effects I now experience I feel less motivated to play on my saxophones. Maybe this is just in the first week of a step. I still continue swimming though. My life is quite basic and simple, but it is what it is. Yesterday night was nice, because an uncle of mine came to my house to play chess with me. He is a former doctor. We have an equal level of chess playing which is very nice. After two games we watched football together. He is fan of the same football club as me.

Lots of huggsss,

Jerry  :thumbsup:

Very good Jerry. Glad you’re still doing well and enjoying your life. There’s nothing wrong with a simple life. Tome it’s the best kind because it’s less stress and drama. I live a simple life too, my friend!  :thumbsup:

Your uncle sounds like a fun person to hang out with. I’m curious…who won the chess match?

Keep being awesome, Jerry! Sending you big hug from your friend in the USA…Lady Den!

:hug::highfive::mybuddy:

Jerry….check in buddy! How are you?

Hope you’re doing good.

Love and hugs 🤗

Ha LadyDen,

I already wrote you a message, a page back, I guess you didn’t see it. I am busy with my new taper of an anti depressivant. Every two weeks a new step. I do it slow, so I can live my life normally. It will probably cost me just less than a year, but that is fine by me. I think that is the best way to do it. Just like with my zopiclone taper which is a success. Because of the side effects I now experience I feel less motivated to play on my saxophones. Maybe this is just in the first week of a step. I still continue swimming though. My life is quite basic and simple, but it is what it is. Yesterday night was nice, because an uncle of mine came to my house to play chess with me. He is a former doctor. We have an equal level of chess playing which is very nice. After two games we watched football together. He is fan of the same football club as me.

Lots of huggsss,

Jerry  :thumbsup:

Very good Jerry. Glad you’re still doing well and enjoying your life. There’s nothing wrong with a simple life. Tome it’s the best kind because it’s less stress and drama. I live a simple life too, my friend!  :thumbsup:

Your uncle sounds like a fun person to hang out with. I’m curious…who won the chess match?

Keep being awesome, Jerry! Sending you big hug from your friend in the USA…Lady Den!

:hug::highfive::mybuddy:

Ha LadyDen, we both won a game. We played two games. Today is sunday. I am watching sport on the tv. I am not feeling great. Later my father comes here for a meal. So I have to do some shopping.

Huggs Jerry  :thumbsup:

Haa Team Z, I hope everyone is doing ok. I am not feeling great. In an hour I am going swimming and at 15hr I have a sax lesson. I have passed 5 months without zopiclone, so that is very wonderful. No other news from me.

Huggs to all,  :thumbsup:

Jerry

Congrats Jerry on 5 months! You’re doing great. Enjoy your swim and your day. It’s always good hearing from you, my friend. Have you done any artwork lately?

Hey all new here and just starting.  Due to an acute panic disorder i started Ativan (currently at a 1mg dose /day) on Jan 30th and Ambien on Feb 24th.  I am going to try and drop the Ambien first because i have just a little over 2 months use at 10mg.  Starting the cut today to 7.5mg.  Hoping to cut weekly and be off in a month or 2 max so i can then begin the Ativan taper.  I feel like a more rapid taper will be ok since i only used a few months.  Thoughts?  Guess it's probably different for everyone.

I know for sure i cant rapidly taper the Ativan.  Tried a c/t back on the 18th and made it to the 22nd.  I had to updose back to 1mg and just now feeling better on the 26th.

Edit: 1st night at 7.5mg and next day have been ok.  Hope to stabilize here through the week.

Edit2: 2nd night at 7.5mg was a little harder to fall asleep but still managed after a few hours.  A little more tired the next morning.

Edit3: 3rd night was really tired. Only took 5mg. Slight trouble falling asleep. A few hypnic jerks. Slept ok. Woke up a little shaky and trembly with higher anxiety. Anxiety has mostly gone away within a few hours of morning 0.5mg Ativan

Good plan, Phiz

I just don't understand the docs who want to prescribe both a benzo and a Z drug to a patient.  Even the FDA black box warning about Ativan indicates dependence after only a few days.

You will experience some rebound insomnia which is to be expected.  Just stick with mindfulness tapes for sleep, keep busy -- you'll get there.  It sounds like your head is in the right place and you're motivated. 

Keep moving forward with the Ambien and know the misery ends.

Thank you wannabebetter!

Pretty sure now that i cut too fast to the 5mg form 10mg (it was just over 3 nights).

Going back up and going to hang for a week or 2 at each dose.  Trying to make 25% ish cuts.  Fingers crossed

Progress update.  So i am still taking the 1mg/day Ativan of course.  And after the big Ambien jump down, from 7.5mg down to 5mg, it def felt some anxiety kick in the following day but nothing terrible.  What really made me nervous was the night i took the 5mg I had some hypnic jerks return which were something i was dealing with prior to the Ativan and Ambien prescription.

So I returned back to 7.5mg and have been doing a dry micro taper.  Over the course of 4 nights i have dropped to 6.8mg from 7.5mg and feel ok.  One really positive thing is that my dog, who is very old and can't jump off my bed, got extremely sick last night.  He woke me up at about 1:30am panting like crazy and he had pooped in my bed.  Poor lil guy.  I managed to get him off the bed and change a blanket, then went right back to sleep.  It kind of feels like a tiny miracle!

Ha Team Z, an update from me too;

I am not doing great. Feeling groggy. A friend of mine who suffers from manic depression came out of his depression yesterday. He was depressed for five months, a very long time. We swim together when he is ok, so we didn’t do that also for 5 months. Today we will meet in the pool, very nice. Today the weather is very nice, it is even getting a bit warm, the first day of the year. Spring has been very cold until now. Next week my father is going on bus vacation. He is going to Berlin, Prague, Boedapest and Vienna for twelve days. Separately I can’t join him, because of my daily grogginess. Huggg Jerry  :thumbsup:

Phizzie,  that's amazing that you went right back to sleep after the bed clean up!What a really good sign.  :thumbsup: So sorry for your dog though. That's tough. 

Jerry,  I know you are disappointed that you cannot join your father right now. I bet you'll be able to do that in the future though.  What a nice trip he's taking! I'm sorry you are having tough days. I am too so I understand. I think I remember having the heavy grogginess at your stage after jumping off my sleeping pills.  That will get better. Are you sleeping?  My symptoms are aching, burning and tingling in my arms and mostly legs and feet and some mild nausea and stomach stuff.  We'll just have to keep going. Better days are coming is my hope!

Lady Den,  I'm always thinking of you and hoping every day brings you more and more joy and freedom of movement.

Miss Fortitude, if you are reading, I'm thinking of you too. 

Helen

Hey Helen!  Yes it really was.  Gosh it makes me want to do a bigger jump but I know that's where the pain is.  I feel I am already tapering at a fast speed.  So just going to maintain or even hold for a few days and see how I am doing.  After experiencing the acute w/d from four days off Ativan, i never ever want that feeling again.

Hey all new here and just starting.  Due to an acute panic disorder i started Ativan (currently at a 1mg dose /day) on Jan 30th and Ambien on Feb 24th.  I am going to try and drop the Ambien first because i have just a little over 2 months use at 10mg.  Starting the cut today to 7.5mg.  Hoping to cut weekly and be off in a month or 2 max so i can then begin the Ativan taper.  I feel like a more rapid taper will be ok since i only used a few months.  Thoughts?  Guess it's probably different for everyone.

I know for sure i cant rapidly taper the Ativan.  Tried a c/t back on the 18th and made it to the 22nd.  I had to updose back to 1mg and just now feeling better on the 26th.

Edit: 1st night at 7.5mg and next day have been ok.  Hope to stabilize here through the week.

Edit2: 2nd night at 7.5mg was a little harder to fall asleep but still managed after a few hours.  A little more tired the next morning.

Edit3: 3rd night was really tired. Only took 5mg. Slight trouble falling asleep. A few hypnic jerks. Slept ok. Woke up a little shaky and trembly with higher anxiety. Anxiety has mostly gone away within a few hours of morning 0.5mg Ativan

As far as the Ambien….I agree that’s a good plan since you were not on it long. I’m telling you because you weren’t, you are dodging a bullet.  :thumbsup:

I am not doing great. Feeling groggy. A friend of mine who suffers from manic depression came out of his depression yesterday. He was depressed for five months, a very long time. We swim together when he is ok, so we didn’t do that also for 5 months. Today we will meet in the pool, very nice. Today the weather is very nice, it is even getting a bit warm, the first day of the year. Spring has been very cold until now. Next week my father is going on bus vacation. He is going to Berlin, Prague, Boedapest and Vienna for twelve days. Separately I can’t join him, because of my daily grogginess. Huggg Jerry  :thumbsup:

Safe travels to your Dad. I’m sure he’ll enjoy his vacation. I know you wish you could join him but you must do what you think is best. Great job on staying active and socializing with your friends. I’ve been thinking about you when I passed by the swimming pool on my walk yesterday. I hope you feel better soon my friend.

Sending big hugs Jerry,

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Phizzie,  that's amazing that you went right back to sleep after the bed clean up!What a really good sign.  :thumbsup: So sorry for your dog though. That's tough. 

Jerry,  I know you are disappointed that you cannot join your father right now. I bet you'll be able to do that in the future though.  What a nice trip he's taking! I'm sorry you are having tough days. I am too so I understand. I think I remember having the heavy grogginess at your stage after jumping off my sleeping pills.  That will get better. Are you sleeping?  My symptoms are aching, burning and tingling in my arms and mostly legs and feet and some mild nausea and stomach stuff.  We'll just have to keep going. Better days are coming is my hope!

Lady Den,  I'm always thinking of you and hoping every day brings you more and more joy and freedom of movement.

Miss Fortitude, if you are reading, I'm thinking of you too. 

Helen

:mybuddy::hug::highfive:

Helen you’re always on my mind too. I hope you feel great this weekend and enjoy doing something fun. Thank you for the shout out! You know you’re my dear friend always. Love you bunches, Twin!

Hi Z-drug community,

I tried last year to taper and was not functional, I got down to 17 mg and got into an argument that cost me someone I cared about dearly. It was a catalyst to me not wanting to feel like s*** anymore and I already have Pre-existing Dysautonomia. Since then, I subverted my taper and even raised the dose to 30 just so I can maintain my meager status quo. I’m in so much agony now and in a much worse place. I feel like I’ll never make it off, and it just feels like I’m dying even from minor cuts. The pressure from my healthcare providers and family is immense. I just need some support, I’m 31 and feel like a total addict. I don’t know how you guys were able to make this journey.

Has anyone been forced to reinstate the use of Z drugs due to unrelenting insomnia?

I have experienced chronic insomnia for 25+ years. Per my profile, I tapered off the Z drugs 7 years ago. Since then, my only sleep has been with medication.

I've tried all 3 of the new DORA drugs with so-so success. Mirtazapine and Quetiapine offer only marginal positive results.

I was having good results with Xyrem/Xywav but have developed significant side effects.

Recently, I have been using 1/4 of a tablet of zolpidem ( 2.5mg) a couple of times a week, in an effort to get 3 or so hours of sleep. I certainly realize it is a slippery slope and loathe the thought of becoming dependent on the Z drugs again, but have no other options.

I would be appreciative to hear from anyone who has had to resume using these drugs and how you were able to keep tolerance and dependency at bay.

Hi Z-drug community,

I tried last year to taper and was not functional, I got down to 17 mg and got into an argument that cost me someone I cared about dearly. It was a catalyst to me not wanting to feel like s*** anymore and I already have Pre-existing Dysautonomia. Since then, I subverted my taper and even raised the dose to 30 just so I can maintain my meager status quo. I’m in so much agony now and in a much worse place. I feel like I’ll never make it off, and it just feels like I’m dying even from minor cuts. The pressure from my healthcare providers and family is immense. I just need some support, I’m 31 and feel like a total addict. I don’t know how you guys were able to make this journey.

Your Ambien dose looks almost as large as mine was, almost, I was so miserable.  What are your symptoms and how often are you dosing?

Has anyone been forced to reinstate the use of Z drugs due to unrelenting insomnia?

I have experienced chronic insomnia for 25+ years. Per my profile, I tapered off the Z drugs 7 years ago. Since then, my only sleep has been with medication.

I've tried all 3 of the new DORA drugs with so-so success. Mirtazapine and Quetiapine offer only marginal positive results.

I was having good results with Xyrem/Xywav but have developed significant side effects.

Recently, I have been using 1/4 of a tablet of zolpidem ( 2.5mg) a couple of times a week, in an effort to get 3 or so hours of sleep. I certainly realize it is a slippery slope and loathe the thought of becoming dependent on the Z drugs again, but have no other options.

I would be appreciative to hear from anyone who has had to resume using these drugs and how you were able to keep tolerance and dependency at bay.

What is your insomnia like, so you have difficulty getting to sleep or going back once you wake?

Hi Z-drug community,

Your Ambien dose looks almost as large as mine was, almost, I was so miserable.  What are your symptoms and how often are you dosing?

Hi Pamster,

My symptoms right now are insomnia, nausea, agitation, some dizziness. I dose 5x per day for inter-dose 15 in the morning/afternoon and 15 at night. (5 is at 4:30am or close to depending on when I wake up). Just overall discomfort and hard to get up from bed even though I’m agitated.. I have to reduce back to 20 pretty quickly as I’ll lose access to the 30. Wow, I can’t believe you were at a higher dose than this. Due to pre-existing condition and medication sensitivities I don’t know if I can C/O. I don’t think I can cold turkey either, I’m really stuck.

Hi

have a question. I took Imovane for a week and it triggered inter dose symptoms. I got insomnia, anxiety, stomach pain, diarrhea, intrusive thoughts, tingling in my body, tinnitus and nausea. As soon as I realized what had happened to me, I stopped cold turkey. It’s been 2 months. Still suffering with occasional diarrhea, bad insomnia, and mild anxiety (the anxiety and diarrhea has gotten so much better).

I’m looking for people who have taken it for a short amount of time. What is your story? Please share this or connect with me on messages if you want. I realize we are not many, but if someone can relate or if you know any helpful information. Please share this! I do realize that there are far worse people than me but I hope you can understand that this whole thing is very frightening and strange for me.

Safe travels to your Dad. I’m sure he’ll enjoy his vacation. I know you wish you could join him but you must do what you think is best. Great job on staying active and socializing with your friends. I’ve been thinking about you when I passed by the swimming pool on my walk yesterday. I hope you feel better soon my friend.

Sending big hugs Jerry,

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Ha LadyDen,

Thank you for your compassion, the swimming pool is my best friend at the moment. My days are really tough. I will really miss my father, but he has organized that I can eat the other day at houses of family and friends. That is really kind of him!  How are you doing at the moment? Are you still improving?  I really hope so! Huggg Jerry :smitten:  :thumbsup::smitten:

Hi

have a question. I took Imovane for a week and it triggered inter dose symptoms. I got insomnia, anxiety, stomach pain, diarrhea, intrusive thoughts, tingling in my body, tinnitus and nausea. As soon as I realized what had happened to me, I stopped cold turkey. It’s been 2 months. Still suffering with occasional diarrhea, bad insomnia, and mild anxiety (the anxiety and diarrhea has gotten so much better).

I’m looking for people who have taken it for a short amount of time. What is your story? Please share this or connect with me on messages if you want. I realize we are not many, but if someone can relate or if you know any helpful information. Please share this! I do realize that there are far worse people than me but I hope you can understand that this whole thing is very frightening and strange for me.

It is definitely possible that you are just extremely sensitive to these drugs.  So even a week can have some effects that linger.  I would just stay patient and you will see improvements.  Did you start the drug for insomnia reasons?  It could be pre existing issues that are still causing insomnia for you .  Keep trying to maintain a strict sleep hygiene habit every night.  Keep a schedule.  No caffeine, exercise if you can (but not too late in the day), try and keep a moderately healthy diet, no TV or electronics in bed, sleep meditation apps, etc.

You are extremely lucky to stop at only a week.  I even considered myself lucky at 2 months use before i started a taper.  I am doing a fairly fast taper because I have the aid of the Ativan that my doctor prescribed me about a month before I started the Ambien.  I have chunked away at my dose fairly fast and so far I am feeling ok but have noticed some minor w/d symptoms.  Mostly today after I cut to 5mg again (was at 10mg a night just ~14 nights ago).

Pamster,

Unfortunately, my insomnia effects both sleep onset and sleep maintenance. I believe it is genetic as my mother had it and my brother does also.

Been to several " Sleep" doc's and they just say there is nothing they can do. Believe me, I have tried every device, OTC option and Rx drug over the last 25 years. It is a nightly struggle. 

I had great hopes for the new DORA drugs that have come to market in the last few years. Non habit forming, up regulate at completely different brain receptors vs Z Drugs and benzo's. Sure wished they were more efficacious.