Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

ACS in my opinion I think you should taper the ambien reducing about 10% every 10-14 days. Without using or crossing over to a benzo. A benzo is no joke! If I were you I’d stay completely clear of any benzo. Your withdrawals from ambien may not be too bad that you can’t tough it out. The worst stretch for most ambien users is the first couple of months. You have trazadone and gabapentine to buffer withdrawals. I think a dry cut….shaving off your ambien every 10 days is the way to go.

Benzo will add another drug you’ll have to taper as well as has its own withdrawals that would be added on top of ambien withdrawal. So I say please spare yourself that agony!

My best wishes to you.

You got this!  :thumbsup:

Hugs 🤗

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I definitely don’t to add anything else to the mix if at all possible.  I want to get off as soon as possible but also hoping for some settling/healing of the nervous system after the Covid experience.  When you tapered the Ambien did you split the doses or stayed with one dose a day?  Thanks!

Acs…..I forgot to ask if you’re on regular ambien or CR ( controlled release)?

Yes I took mine one dose at bedtime. Never took in the day. To me splitting dose makes your body crave more. That’s my opinion.

Your brain will tell you that you can’t do this….it will be too hard….you need another pill to help….it’s too hard….you will fail….quit…..updose…..you won’t sleep ever again…..etc etc

Don’t listen to it! That’s not true!

You can do this. Fear is normal in this. It’s also a symptom. Make your plan and go for it! We’re here to support you.

To Acs, here is a thought of how to taper off the 10mg Ambien.  This is how my sleep doctor recommended tapering off of Z drugs, however, in my case I had to taper off Lunesta and Sonata.  Ambien typically comes in two doses.... 5 mg and 10 mg (of which you are currently on the 2nd)... you slowly step down a dose in the following manner:

1st week:  On the first two nights, take your regular 10 mg but on the 3rd night, take a 5 mg dose (you could simply cut your pill in half). Repeat the same pattern nights 4-6.

On the 7th day, take your 10 mg dose again.

2nd week: take the 10 mg dose one night and the 5 mg dose the second night until you complete out the week.

3rd week:  Take the 5 mg dose for 2 nights in a row, and then the 3rd night take the 10 mg dose.

4th week:  This week you take the 5 mg dose every night.

5th week:  Repeat the same pattern that I told you about for Week 1  except take the 5 mg dose the first two nights, and NOTHING the 3rd night.

6th week:  One night take the 5 mg dose, the next night take nothing.... and repeat .

7th week :  Take nothing two nights in a row, and on the 3rd night take the 5 mg dose and repeat.

By the 8th week, you are off the Ambien.

To repeat more clearly so you see the pattern:

10mg 10mg 5mg 10mg 10mg 5mg 10mg

5mg 10mg 5mg 10 mg 5mg 10mg 5mg

5mg 10mg 5mg 5mg 10mg 5mg 5mg

5mg 5mg 5mg 5mg 5mg 5mg 5mg

5mg 5mg nothing 5mg 5mg nothing 5mg

nothing 5mg nothing 5mg nothing 5mg nothing

nothing 5mg nothing nothing 5mg nothing nothing

nothing

That's the general pattern but you can always go slower if you wish.... like spend an extra week doing the pattern for Week 1, etc. based on how difficult your withdrawal symptoms are. I used this general pattern to get off my Z drugs but sometimes I would give myself an extra few nights or a week at one particular step if I wasn't quite ready to proceed to the next stage.  The advantage to this with the Ambien is it doesn't require slicing miniscule amounts off your pill like some people here were doing their taper... in other words, it is fairly easy to just cut 10 mg of Ambien in half. Like I said, once you understand the general pattern which I tried to explain above, you can always proceed with the taper at your own pace.

To Acs, here is a thought of how to taper off the 10mg Ambien.  This is how my sleep doctor recommended tapering off of Z drugs, however, in my case I had to taper off Lunesta and Sonata.  Ambien typically comes in two doses.... 5 mg and 10 mg (of which you are currently on the 2nd)... you slowly step down a dose in the following manner:

1st week:  On the first two nights, take your regular 10 mg but on the 3rd night, take a 5 mg dose (you could simply cut your pill in half). Repeat the same pattern nights 4-6.

2nd week: take the 10 mg dose one night and the 5 mg dose the second night until you complete out the week.

3rd week:  Take the 5 mg dose for 2 nights in a row, and then the 3rd night take the 10 mg dose.

5th week:  Repeat the same pattern that I told you about for Week 1  except take the 5 mg dose the first two nights, and NOTHING the 3rd night.

6th week:  One night take the 5 mg dose, the next night take nothing.... and repeat .

7th week :  Take nothing two nights in a row, and on the 3rd night take the 5 mg dose and repeat.

nothing

That's the general pattern but you can always go slower if you wish.... like spend an extra week doing the pattern for Week 1, etc. based on how difficult your withdrawal symptoms are. I used this general pattern to get off my Z drugs but sometimes I would give myself an extra few nights or a week at one particular step if I wasn't quite ready to proceed to the next stage.  The advantage to this with the Ambien is it doesn't require slicing miniscule amounts off your pill like some people here were doing their taper... in other words, it is fairly easy to just cut 10 mg of Ambien in half. Like I said, once you understand the general pattern which I tried to explain above, you can always proceed with the taper at your own pace.

I’m curious about this plan, I’ve never seen it used before, did you have interdose withdrawal before your taper and how did you feel on the days you cut the dose in half? Also, what did you experience when you went back to the full dose on the designated nights?

You mentioned Sonata and Lunesta, did you taper them one at a time or together?

nothing

I’m curious about this plan, I’ve never seen it used before, did you have interdose withdrawal before your taper and how did you feel on the days you cut the dose in half? Also, what did you experience when you went back to the full dose on the designated nights?

You mentioned Sonata and Lunesta, did you taper them one at a time or together?

IMO, this is NOT a good way to taper off. Going from 10 to 5 is a HUGE drop. Then going back to 10 after shocking the brain like that….doesn’t seem good to me. Keep in mind that many doctors DO NOT know the proper way to taper off these specific drugs. IMO all this does is have the brain very confused. It’s ideal to send the brain a strong but GENTLE message that you’re tapering. This is done by a slow but steady taper which has been shown to have less intense withdrawals. And has a great success rate.

In the case of someone who hasn’t been on zdrug for long ( couple of months)  then if it were me, I’d go down pretty quickly but definitely not going back to the full dose after dropping it in half!

I agree with you, Pam…those questions are warranted. I wouldn’t take a chance with any of these drugs. You never know what it might do dropping big chunks at a time. Not to scare anyone but there are risks of seizures in doing that. Be careful….be wise…avoid unnecessary torture. Be safe, not sorry.

Hugs!

Regular Ambien 10mg at bedtime since mid September.

Ok that’s good! You can do this. But don’t reduce big chunks at a time. You can do 1mg every 10-14 days to try it out. IF you do well with that drop then continue….next you’ll take 8mg for 10 days….then 7, etc

Thanks.  I’m definitely going the slow approach.  What type of scale did you use in weighing the doses?

Most members use scales you can pick up on Amazon for about 30.00 USD.

In response to Acs504 and Pamster and Lady Den who commented on the plan:

I want to have the opportunity to clarify. Honestly, although I've been doing slightly better in the last month with my sleep, yesterday was a lousy day with a bad headache and I think I may have neglected to give the most thorough response possible.

First, this was a plan given to me by my sleep doctor and it is based on what typical doses are.  For instance, in the United States typical doses for

Lunesta are :  1mg, 2 mg , 3mg        Ambien:  5 mg, 10 mg          and Sonata: 5 mg 10 mg 20 mg

I had to taper off both Lunesta and Sonata, one at a time (I would never try to taper off two pills at once !!!), so first I tapered off the Sonata, then the Lunesta.  At my maximum, I was on 3 mg Lunesta in the beginning of the night and 10 mg of Sonata in the middle of the night.... although to be fair,  at the time I started the full taper, I was already down to 3 mg Lunesta and 5 mg Sonata and had been for one full year so I was really tapering off 3 mg Lunesta and 5 mg Sonata.

The idea is to taper one step down (see medication doses above) per month. The plan I presented was as the sleep doctor gave it to me -- although as stated, I was doing Lunesta and Sonata and NOT Ambien, however, and this is important --- I did go slightly slower which I neglected to include in my initial message. The reason I went slower, was Pamster indicated, was that I wasn't doing that great on the pills to begin with... I was only sleeping 4 -4.5 hours on both the medications (that could have been interdose withdrawal). I did not read the whole thread to know if ACS504 mentioned how long he/she was on the drugs, but I think that is less important of a question than how he/she was doing while on the drugs. As I mentioned, I was not sleeping well on the drugs and I was deathly afraid that if I went too fast, I would go down to sleeping 0 hours and that informed my decision to go slightly slower. 

I just glanced at the Excel spreadsheet I used to chart my taper and it looks like I took 6 months to taper the 3 mg Lunesta and 5 mg Sonata.  If I had just followed the method as the doctor gave it to me, it would have taken just under 4 months to do the same. However, I should point out that a large part of that extra time was because I got cold feet and held at 3 mg Lunesta (after I tapered the Sonata as prescribed) for 5 weeks.

I feel like I generally followed the procedure as prescribed (with some extra days here and there) to taper off the Lunesta which actually would have been the most difficult pill.  As for the taper, I didn't have too many problems with it and looking back, I don't wish I had gone any faster or slower.

I don't know that I really agree with LadyDen about the 10mg to 5 mg to 10 mg being too much of a shock to the system... although what ACS504 may want to consider if he/she decides to do this plan is to (similar to me) go a bit slower and HOLD at various levels. For instance, you could take twice as long to do this taper--- which I think actually might be a better plan since 3-3.5 months seems like a normal amount of time to taper off of 10mg Ambien.  For instance, you could take two weeks to do each step... like the 10 mg Ambien, 10 mg Ambien, 5 mg Ambien pattern for 2 weeks instead of one.

In any case, I proposed this taper as an alternative because even though everyone on this board is into shaving off minute parts of pills, I have problems using a pill cutter sometimes to even get equal halves of a pill, much less shave off minute quantities of a pill and weigh the parts. And since ACS504 already has 10 mg pills, it isn't too much of a bother to just cut the pills in half when necessary to use this plan.         

Sorry ACS504 for not being more thorough with my initial post  :)

I really don't think the plan I proposed above is that bad if you're not into shaving off pills and weighing things... although I do think it is better to take twice as long at each step than I initially proposed (more like a 3.5 month taper as opposed to a 7 week one).

Thanks for your reply.  I am curious how your sleep was during your taper.  I know everyone is different but I guess that’s my biggest fear is that once I start the taper although I plan for a slow one, that sleep will be totally out the window.  I am also not starting with great sleep but I’m thankful for every hour I get which is usually 5-5.5.

I want to have the opportunity to clarify. Honestly, although I've been doing slightly better in the last month with my sleep, yesterday was a lousy day with a bad headache and I think I may have neglected to give the most thorough response possible.

First, this was a plan given to me by my sleep doctor and it is based on what typical doses are.  For instance, in the United States typical doses for

Lunesta are :  1mg, 2 mg , 3mg        Ambien:  5 mg, 10 mg          and Sonata: 5 mg 10 mg 20 mg

I had to taper off both Lunesta and Sonata, one at a time (I would never try to taper off two pills at once !!!), so first I tapered off the Sonata, then the Lunesta.  At my maximum, I was on 3 mg Lunesta in the beginning of the night and 10 mg of Sonata in the middle of the night.... although to be fair,  at the time I started the full taper, I was already down to 3 mg Lunesta and 5 mg Sonata and had been for one full year so I was really tapering off 3 mg Lunesta and 5 mg Sonata.

The idea is to taper one step down (see medication doses above) per month. The plan I presented was as the sleep doctor gave it to me -- although as stated, I was doing Lunesta and Sonata and NOT Ambien, however, and this is important --- I did go slightly slower which I neglected to include in my initial message. The reason I went slower, was Pamster indicated, was that I wasn't doing that great on the pills to begin with... I was only sleeping 4 -4.5 hours on both the medications (that could have been interdose withdrawal). I did not read the whole thread to know if ACS504 mentioned how long he/she was on the drugs, but I think that is less important of a question than how he/she was doing while on the drugs. As I mentioned, I was not sleeping well on the drugs and I was deathly afraid that if I went too fast, I would go down to sleeping 0 hours and that informed my decision to go slightly slower. 

I just glanced at the Excel spreadsheet I used to chart my taper and it looks like I took 6 months to taper the 3 mg Lunesta and 5 mg Sonata.  If I had just followed the method as the doctor gave it to me, it would have taken just under 4 months to do the same. However, I should point out that a large part of that extra time was because I got cold feet and held at 3 mg Lunesta (after I tapered the Sonata as prescribed) for 5 weeks.

I feel like I generally followed the procedure as prescribed (with some extra days here and there) to taper off the Lunesta which actually would have been the most difficult pill.  As for the taper, I didn't have too many problems with it and looking back, I don't wish I had gone any faster or slower.

I don't know that I really agree with LadyDen about the 10mg to 5 mg to 10 mg being too much of a shock to the system... although what ACS504 may want to consider if he/she decides to do this plan is to (similar to me) go a bit slower and HOLD at various levels. For instance, you could take twice as long to do this taper--- which I think actually might be a better plan since 3-3.5 months seems like a normal amount of time to taper off of 10mg Ambien.  For instance, you could take two weeks to do each step... like the 10 mg Ambien, 10 mg Ambien, 5 mg Ambien pattern for 2 weeks instead of one.

In any case, I proposed this taper as an alternative because even though everyone on this board is into shaving off minute parts of pills, I have problems using a pill cutter sometimes to even get equal halves of a pill, much less shave off minute quantities of a pill and weigh the parts. And since ACS504 already has 10 mg pills, it isn't too much of a bother to just cut the pills in half when necessary to use this plan.       

Thank you for further explaining your plan, I’m glad you found what worked for you, and I’m glad you had the freedom to customize it. I think that’s what we all need, just a basic understanding  and willingness from our doctors and the freedom to choose what will work best for us.

You are one of the few people like me who were on BOTH Lunesta and Sonata.  I was like you...I'd take Lunesta 3mg at first and then take Sonata 10 or 5 mg later in the night once I was awake from the Lunesta.  I did this for YEARS.  I'm SO glad to be off the meds as I'm sure you are too.  Just wanted to say hi to someone else whose journey was similar.  I tapered off the Lunesta first (more like CT but ok...).  Looking back I shouldn't have done it the other way around as the Sonata was such a short acting med. 

Hope your head feels better today!

Any direction on best place to start in regards to diet in advance of tapering.  I’m sure sweets, grains, etc are out but what else does it look like? Thank y’all!

Any direction on best place to start in regards to diet in advance of tapering.  I’m sure sweets, grains, etc are out but what else does it look like? Thank y’all!

I never did any diet during my taper. I am only not using any alcohol, but that is not taper related.

Jerry

Any direction on best place to start in regards to diet in advance of tapering.  I’m sure sweets, grains, etc are out but what else does it look like? Thank y’all!>>>

I don't think diet makes too much of a difference in the success of a taper (except alcohol).  What I do think will help, however, throughout your taper and beyond is regular exercise.  Throughout this time off the pills, the only thing that helped my insomnia (in addition to time) was regular exercise. You never said your gender or age, however, regular walking is an exercise that anyone, regardless of their age or physical fitness level, can probably do.  It has to be regular though .. as in at least a mile or two every day or every other day. 

Unfortunately, I can't do the walking because I have a hip injury now (I'll be getting surgery hopefully in a few months to fix the problem and god willing, I'll be back to walking soon) but I found that when I was doing at least a mile a day every day or every other day my sleep duration increased by  ~ 45 minutes. 

Thanks!  I guess I’d read some different posts about cleaning up the diet, avoiding gluten, and even things about avoiding things that could trigger histamine reactions.  I’m just not sure what all that entails.  I’m a 43 year old male that definitely needs to start working some exercise in to my routine.  I don’t drink alcohol so that’s pretty easy to avoid.  Thanks again

All,

I’m on 10 mg of Ambien at night and would like to crossover to Valium. 

I feel like crap every morning, and every day until the evening.

I feel like I’m in tolerance.  Can anybody suggest a crossover?  I already take Valium during the day.

Any direction on best place to start in regards to diet in advance of tapering.  I’m sure sweets, grains, etc are out but what else does it look like? Thank y’all!>>>

I don't think diet makes too much of a difference in the success of a taper (except alcohol).  What I do think will help, however, throughout your taper and beyond is regular exercise.  Throughout this time off the pills, the only thing that helped my insomnia (in addition to time) was regular exercise. You never said your gender or age, however, regular walking is an exercise that anyone, regardless of their age or physical fitness level, can probably do.  It has to be regular though .. as in at least a mile or two every day or every other day. 

Unfortunately, I can't do the walking because I have a hip injury now (I'll be getting surgery hopefully in a few months to fix the problem and god willing, I'll be back to walking soon) but I found that when I was doing at least a mile a day every day or every other day my sleep duration increased by  ~ 45 minutes.

Yes, I also did a lot of exercise; 3 times swimming a week. Made me feel a lot better…

Hey Team Z! I agree with Getmy that walking and keeping the mind in positivity each day is a big help. Me personally I made myself a schedule for each day. On the not so good days, I listen to my body and just rest.

As far as diet. I eat clean….no msg, no preservatives unless they’re natural, no junk food, no sweets but I do eat a little cashew milk ice cream on some weekends, no foods high in magnesium, plenty of water/ fluids, fresh fruits and veggies. Oh yeah and I avoid soy….no Chinese food or Mexican food. I eat pretty much whatever I want. If the food is a “ maybe it will bother me” I eat a little bit to test it out. By the next day if no reaction, then I enjoy it in moderation.

The body needs a good variety of vitamins and minerals that occur naturally in foods. I simply avoid what I know bothers me. Currently I’m in the process of adding back those foods….very small trials at a time.

Ha LadyDen,

My sleep seems to get worse, It takes longer to fall asleep and I wake up in the middle of the night. is it logic to think that this taper related?

I hope you are ok!

Jerry