Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Hello everyone,

I have been warmly welcomed by some of the active members of the z-drug support group thread and for that I am very grateful. Thank you!

I hope all of you are well.

I would like to prevail upon the collective wisdom of this community for advice on tapering off 10 mgs of zolpidem.

I have been taking it since early July 2021.

I have just completed a six month taper off 2mgs of flunitrazepam (having also been taking since early July 2021). I have been able to remain functional and continue working to date while tapering the flunitrazepam despite sometimes considerable discomfort.

I very, very much hope to remain functional and continue working while tapering down the zolpidem as well.

I should say that my sleep is pretty terrible (about 5 hours per night). I know sleep may get worse while tapering the zolpidem. However, I also feel that my sleep won't ultimately improve until I get off this poison.

Regarding the zolpidem taper, a dry cut and weigh taper plan (using a Gemini 20 scale) of 10% every 2 weeks or so has been recommended to me by someone knowledgeable and well respected in the benzo recovery community. The plan recalculates each percentage cut based on current dosage and, based on a 2 week hold per cut, works out to a 40 week taper. This seems reasonable to me but would welcome opinions.

It seems that some of the active members of this group thread tapered 5% of the original amount every 2 weeks without recalculating and by eyeballing their cuts.

I hope to hear from some of you with your thoughts on my plan (and when I can start).

Thank you in advance! 

My knowledgeable opinion is 10% every 2 weeks  :thumbsup: or 1/2 mg every 10-14 days. You may or may not having an increase of insomnia. But if you do, If I were you, I’d start good sleep hygiene and sleep routine that includes meditation with soothing music at bedtime during and after taper. Even if it doesn’t work well at first, it can train the brain to induce when it’s time to sleep because your brain is sent signals by what you do…soothing music, dark room, reading a bit tells the brain “ oh we need to start going to sleep”

Also morning sunlight about 15-20 minutes may help to reset your circadian rhythm and give you vitamin d which is usually low from taking the pills. Proper vitamin d levels improve sleep.

When I started tapering, I made a rule….I can go down and if it gets rough I can hold but I’m not allowed to go back up on my dose. I followed that rule and successfully tapered off with ease. I’m now 20 months free. Best wishes to you. You got this! We’re cheering you on and here to support you.

How are you all! It's so quiet here. Are you actually better with the symptoms in summer or in winter? I myself can hardly wait for spring or summer ;)

3 weeks + 1 day have passed since my last tablet. Nights were like this from week 2: 7-4-7-5-7-4-7-7-6-5-4-7-8-5-8-5 hours of sleep. It is currently leveling off somewhat. But I still wake up very often. Other symptoms are currently short-lived (back, neck and shoulder pain). Sometimes mild anxiety for a few hours.

If Covid is now even less of an issue (hopefully), the mood will also improve. I'm thinking about a little vacation for two days. I'm interested in sleeping in a different bed or in a hotel.

Best regards and I wish you a great start to the day.

Morning Team Z! Wow it is very quiet in here as Sab said. Hopefully you all are doing well and getting ready for spring. Sab I’m not sure if seasons make things better or worse. That’s a good question. But from my experience i didn’t see any difference as seasons changed. But I do know that because we are sensitive, extreme temperatures like cold and hot can make symptoms worse. For example, if people get too cold, the brain will react more extremely than it normally would. I know I’ve gotten too cold and it took me hours to warm back up and I was achy. It definitely triggered a wave for me. The same when I was too hot outside…triggered a wave and took me a couple of hours to get back to normal. Some people in WD can’t tolerate the direct sun for a certain amount of time. They’re just too sensitive to it. Congrats on your 3 week Zdrug freedom. Sounds like you’re doing well so far. Short lived symptoms are a good sign. Your sleeping doesn’t look too bad either. You did a great job! I’m proud of you. A vacation is ideal if you’re up to it. Please check in to let us know where you’re going and how did you sleep/ feel. Have a great day today.

As for me I’ve been absent because I just got a divorce. I needed to pull back to self love so the stress wouldn’t overtake me. That’s very important no matter what comes our way….pamper ourselves each day.

I hope everyone is doing well. Healing and enjoying yourselves. I’m loving the singing of birds for the past few mornings right outside my window. Spring is definitely arriving.

Love to you all 💗💋

Hi there!,

Anybody from the Z-drug group get Akathisia? How did you manage?

Hi Cali, I have gotten akatihisia since I stopped ambien ... like if I eat a bunch of sugar or doritos--or a junk food which I rarely do. I also get it when I take benadryl which I've done a handful to times to help sleep. I take a hot bath and that helps. What's going on with you?

Kachina

Hello everyone,

It seems that some of the active members of this group thread tapered 5% of the original amount every 2 weeks without recalculating and by eyeballing their cuts.

I hope to hear from some of you with your thoughts on my plan (and when I can start).

Thank you in advance! 

Yes, that is how I did it, eyeballing the same amount each night, taken off one of 2 5mg pills until i only needed 1 5mg pill. WOW thinking about that ... omg I thought I'd never get off ambien. Take heart my friend, you will find just the right way for you, what feels right, what you decide and it will be a journey! We're here for you as you relearn life without ambien.

Cheers, Kachina

How are you all! It's so quiet here. Are you actually better with the symptoms in summer or in winter? I myself can hardly wait for spring or summer ;)

3 weeks + 1 day have passed since my last tablet. Nights were like this from week 2: 7-4-7-5-7-4-7-7-6-5-4-7-8-5-8-5 hours of sleep. It is currently leveling off somewhat. But I still wake up very often. Other symptoms are currently short-lived (back, neck and shoulder pain). Sometimes mild anxiety for a few hours.

If Covid is now even less of an issue (hopefully), the mood will also improve. I'm thinking about a little vacation for two days. I'm interested in sleeping in a different bed or in a hotel.

Best regards and I wish you a great start to the day.

Super awesome! Happy for you! I relate to the sleep pattern, up and down.

I'll look forward to hearing how you do with sleep in a hotel. I stopped in June last year and did a few trips to hotels in the summer.

Cheers! KB

Morning Team Z! Wow it is very quiet in here as Sab said. Hopefully you all are doing well and getting ready for spring. Sab I’m not sure if seasons make things better or worse. That’s a good question. But from my experience i didn’t see any difference as seasons changed. But I do know that because we are sensitive, extreme temperatures like cold and hot can make symptoms worse. For example, if people get too cold, the brain will react more extremely than it normally would. I know I’ve gotten too cold and it took me hours to warm back up and I was achy. It definitely triggered a wave for me. The same when I was too hot outside…triggered a wave and took me a couple of hours to get back to normal. Some people in WD can’t tolerate the direct sun for a certain amount of time. They’re just too sensitive to it. Congrats on your 3 week Zdrug freedom. Sounds like you’re doing well so far. Short lived symptoms are a good sign. Your sleeping doesn’t look too bad either. You did a great job! I’m proud of you. A vacation is ideal if you’re up to it. Please check in to let us know where you’re going and how did you sleep/ feel. Have a great day today.

As for me I’ve been absent because I just got a divorce. I needed to pull back to self love so the stress wouldn’t overtake me. That’s very important no matter what comes our way….pamper ourselves each day.

I hope everyone is doing well. Healing and enjoying yourselves. I’m loving the singing of birds for the past few mornings right outside my window. Spring is definitely arriving.

Love to you all 💗💋

Good morning LadyDen,

I'm feeling for you going through a transition right now, you are so wise to use good self care and to model that to all of us. That's what this is all about, taking care of ourselves instead of using a pill to do so. Many hugs to you and lovely to hear about birds singing. Still cold here today. Hugs, Kachina :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I hope everyone is doing well.

Thanks LadyDen and Kachina for your replies.

LadyDen,

I'm sorry to hear you've been going through a divorce.

I appreciate your advice.

I have had good sleep hygiene and a sleep routine for many years now.

In the past six months, my wind down has been better than ever.

I have tried meditation, relaxing music, sleep stories, tai chi, Qigong, yoga, reading, watching heartwarming dramas etc. Recently, I have tried to drop all the effort and just read for awhile before bed. 

The real problem I've had for months now is waking up in the early morning hours and being unable to fall back to sleep. I'm so scared that my sleep will never recover.

I've been on 4 to 5, 5/12 hours per night for six months now. I don't know how long it's possible to hold on with this little sleep. I have a seemingly permanent headache and am beyond exhausted. Nevertheless, I am going to push forward with my plan to taper the zolpidem. I have to believe that eventually sleep will get better.

Do you guys think I should get started or wait a bit to see how I respond to being off the rohypnol (knock on wood, so far nothing dramatic)?

Thanks again! 

Do you guys think I should get started or wait a bit to see how I respond to being off the rohypnol (knock on wood, so far nothing dramatic)?

Thanks again!

Good to see you Agoura, can we work on your signature so we can see at a glance what your situation is, especially when you jumped off of the Rohypnol?  Here are the instructions, if you need help just put the information here and I'll insert it into your signature. Add your history/signature 

As for your question, I'm excited for you to get started on your Ambien taper, the sooner you can get that out of your life, the sooner you'll be able to sleep but don't let my excitement rush you, caution and patience are good things.  ;)

Good morning Team Z! Hope you all are doing well and remembering to self love. That’s what I’m trying to do. Especially now since I’m going through such an extremely difficult time. It has caused me to have an uptick in my waves and symptoms. I’m praying that I heal very soon. And hope you do too.

Thank you for your kind words and support. I really need it. ♥️💗❤️

Agoura,

You are doing well! I know it doesn't feel like it but you are on the path.  I agree with Pam that your sleep will improve once you get past the Ambien. I know it seems counterintuitive. I was on high doses Lunesta and Sonata (and sometimes Xanax) for sleep for a very long time (around 15 years). I never thought I'd sleep again when I stopped taking the meds.  I get 6-7 hours every night and have no trouble falling asleep. it's actually easier now. You will know when the right time to start tapering down is. You'll figure it out and get through it.  I'm sorry for your headaches. That was one of my worst problems but they got better!  Hang in there.

Lady Den,

I'm supporting you and thinking of you non stop. I'm so sorry you're having a wave from the stress and emotional upheaval.  Sending you a big, warm hug and lots of caring, friend.

Helen

Thank you dear Helen. How awesome to have a friend like you. I’m also sending you feel better wishes. We just got to hang in there. We don’t have long. Rest up my dear. I’m doing the same. 🤗

Yes I felt better the first night when I started tapering.  I went right from 10 mg to 5 mg and noticed a reduction in my symptoms.  I tapered very quickly (5 weeks) but I felt it the right thing for me to do as I was suffering very badly from interdose withdrawal.

I have been told that a lot of Z-drug users start feeling better on the way down. Has that been true for most of you?

Yezzz! Many of my symptoms went away as I tapered. Especially at the last 1-2 mgs

Hi Zzers,

Today it is my fathers birthday. We will go to a restaurant close to the beach tonight. I bought a book about glass art for him. Recently he started collecting glass birds, so thats why. It was hard to find an interesting book about glass art. I am not doing great at the moment. Luckily tapering goes well. Huggs for you all. 

:thumbsup: Jerry!

Hugs and love Team Z.

Jerry hope you and your dad enjoy his birthday. The glass art book sounds like a great gift. My daughter is newly interested in painting on glass. We’re going to try it and see how it goes.

Wishing everyone a joyous day. Hope all is feeling better.

Happy Sunday!

My fathers birthday was nice, we had a wonderful meal. At the moment we have good weather here, which is great. I feel brackish though, groggy. Not good. I wish you all a good thursday… huggs Jerry

Morning Team Z! Hope you all got some nice sleep.

Jerry hope you feel better soon and have a good Thursday too. I’m also feeling yucky with morning dread and waves. Sending you hugs my friend.

Sleepy, Zolpidem (ambien) was the only medication I was on. Never in a million dreams did I think it would do this to me. Others have said it’s just as bad as a regular benzo if not worse. I totally agree. The WD symptoms are basically the same. I’ve noticed that it does have a few differences but it acts on the exact same gaba receptors so that’s why it’s the same wd when coming off. Z drugs are not the only medications that do that so please be careful of anything you take. My advice is to research meds to see if they attach or affect gaba receptors in ANY way. Some affect the directly and some indirectly. My current symptoms are boatiness, balance issues, intolerance to walking/ standing, intolerance to sitting up, intolerance to any exercise, muscle tightness, ear ringing, mild nausea, diarrhea, constipation, itching fingers/toes at bedtime, decaying teeth/teeth sensations, sensitivity to light and sounds, feeling vibrations/shaky, yawning spells, ear popping, loss of appetite, feeling warm in certain areas, feeling cold, morning dread, sinus pain, head pressure, headaches, tight belly, tired spells, trouble falling asleep, nightmares/weird dreams, sensitivities of certain products/foods/smells, extra salivating, intrusive songs and intrusive thoughts.

I don’t have all of these symptoms at one time. They have become milder and most occur less frequently or only when I have a wave. When they show up for about an hour or so then leave as my wave is dying down. The constant ones I have are vestibular system related such as boatiness ( feeling like I’m on a boat) head pressure, intolerances of walking/standing/sitting up and ear ringing. I’ve had those my entire recovery. They started at the end of my taper. They are milder now but still debilitating. I’m now having better windows to the point that those symptoms disappear or nearly disappear. I’ve had other symptoms that are gone now. Those symptoms went away quickly as I tapered such as hair loss/thinning hair, teeth numbness, tingling arms and legs, twitching face muscles, tremors/ muscle twitching, feeling faint, high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, adrenal surges, sweating spells, can’t stay warm, strange fears of things, feeling drops of water on my arms/legs when there’s no water on me, sinus popping, random pains, irritability, sadness, anxiety, feeling like something crawling in my hair or hair on my face, physical appearance of aging 10-20 years, coughing spells, yawning spells, severe spells of suddenly sleepy, prickly areas on my body, neck tightness/swelling, trouble swallowing, no appetite, fatigue and a few strange sensations such as numbness spells in my groin area, feeling like bladder infection without an infection, seizure like feeling, perception disturbances ( things looking or feeling titled/ warped/ etc), low blood sugar sensation, strange body odors like rotten medication, no libido, panic attacks and visual disturbances.

As I said….the same symptoms as a regular benzo because they’re really the same ( benzo cousins) IMO.

LD,

That symptom list is LONG!  Sadly, I can identify with almost everything you listed. I haven't had the dental issues (yet...gulp) but I really and truly recognize almost all of the others. I find it interesting what you say about Z drugs being as bad or worse than benzos. Clearly they have been for me.  Boy, do I wish I had never started on them. 

Helen

Helen, I also wish I never took them. If I could turn back the hands of time! But, I trusted my doctor at the time that he knew what was best for me. I was always one of those patients that followed the doctors orders to the T most of the time. Lesson learned! Now I’m burned! And only time will heal this. So, I suffer. I wait. I endure. I wait. I distract. I wait.

I’m so sorry that we have to go through this long drawn out back and forth recovery because of a tiny pill to help us sleep. By God’s grace and mercy we will recover. For that, I’m grateful.

That list is very long. Unfortunately it’s very true. As you said, you experienced those symptoms too. At a little over 20 months it’s mind boggling that I’m STILL quite sick. Most importantly is that I’ve healed quite a bit looking at that list. Wow how amazing I survived. I was a victim of medical malpractice IMO. But now I’m a survivor! You are one too.

❤️🤗

I have been told that a lot of Z-drug users start feeling better on the way down. Has that been true for most of you?

Hey Cali! YES, for me I had so many horrible symptoms I was sufferring from but didn't realize it was the ambien. I will say that emotionally I felt so excited (and scared) from day 1 of my taper that that boosted me up. Hope. But my physical symptoms got better and better as I tapered. I almost feel like I'm the opposite of what I hear here. I couldn't function due to pain and sensitivity due to lights, noises, scents, activity, etc. for a long time, then started the taper and all that got better!

Was zop the only pill you took? What wd symptoms are you having?

Hey SleepyJo,

So you're having pain after surgery still?? I was on tramadol for pain, occasional anti-anxiety med and ambien that I tried supplementing with different meds to sleep better and hopefully switch to to get off ambien. So grateful to say I got off all of the meds when I came here. Have you started your taper?

KB