Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Good morning Team z! HUGS  :hug:

Jerry good to hear from you. Alive and kicking. I hope that kicking means you’re kicking butt.  :thumbsup:

Lockdowns are hated by people but they save lives and are necessary. I’m not throwing shade on you but I’d rather our country be on lockdown than see little kids or many people who are sick already get COVID. It is good that omicron is mild. It’s so bad in our schools here. Spreading like wildfire. IMO even if they don’t lockdown the country, I think they should send the kids back home for virtual learning to let this settle down. Anyway, keep your head up and take care.

Deanna how are you sweetie? Are you excited about being 18 months? Sounds like things are settling down for you? Unlike you, I was NOT surprising by all the different variants. That’s what viruses do. They mutate sometimes stronger sometimes weaker. There’s no telling how long we’ll have to deal with this. It might be like the flu, having peaks for a certain time. This might be our new normal. As soon as we adjust to it then here comes something else. These are the times we are living in. Everyone has to keep their guard up and navigate safely. Too many ignorant people are taking this as a joke STILL. It’s amazing how I’m seeing people who kept living like we’re not in a world pandemic then next thing you know they’re on tv in the hospital fighting for their life begging people to take this seriously. Anyway, let me stop rambling on….wishing you a nice long window. Love and hugs

Kachina how are things in your working world? I hope you’ve adjusted more and doing well. We miss you! ❤️

Helen, is your snow melting? Ours is melted and has left a mess! I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a bit more snow before spring arrives. Kids here are back to school this morning since the roads are clear. Hope you’re staying warm and cozy with plenty of rest. Big hugs

Everyone else I hope you’re doing all you can to finish your tapers and if finished then do all you can to get from one day to the next.

Hello Team!

Jerry, I started water aerobics and then the pool closed!!! Glad to hear from you and that you're gearing up for your next taper!! The taper rocks, it's the best and the answer. Today I woke early but on those night that I sleep 7 or more hours it feels so luxurious and wonderful.

LadyD glad you got to enjoy the snow and yes, afterwords is a mess!!! Hope you're getting some good windows!

Deanna, you said it, we would have never believed this pandemic if we saw it coming.

I worked (part time) for 2 weeks and now have to quarantine for 2 because my husband tested positive after not feeling well. He got hit with exhaustion for 24+ hours, then felt better, now had a bad sore throat. Take home test showed positive! Hope he'll be better asap and no more symptoms. Thankful it's now with Omicron, not prior. I am feeling tired of not being with people and not going out places. Perhaps another month for this to pass and we'll get to enjoy more things. Then Spring will be on its way.

I do have worry each night and during the night when I wake up to use the bathroom ... will I sleep, will I go back to sleep, etc.! BUT YES I WILL SLEEP and I DO SLEEP. I'm struggling overall with some dark feelings but, hey, that is part of life. Some stress and negative thoughts but I'm also growing and healing ... it's not all sun and roses all the time. I am, after all, human. On a positive note, glad you are here and I am here, glad we're on this journey together!!!

Happy week friends,

Kachina

Kachina am sorry your husband has COVID. Yes it’s good that it’s the mild variant. I know you’re not liking the quarantine but it’s for the best and temporary. Good to hear you’re sleeping and able to go back to sleep. I’m hanging in there with my morning dread and waves during the day. Sometimes they’re bad and sometimes they’re very mild. But I am making progress. I’m healing. So I’m grateful. Lately my waves are more intense since turning 19 months. Hopefully things will settle for me soon. Perhaps this is the end of this recovery for me. Upticks in symptoms or waves are common at the end. So I’m praying that this is what will be my case. I’m so ready to be done with these waves. My windows are so much better when I have them.

Hang in there. Wishing speedy recovery for your husband and hope you don’t get it. Love to you sweetheart  :smitten:

Thank you LadyDen, seems I'm not getting it! Hoping this is the last hurrah for you! So glad you're improving!!

Helen, how are you doing? Twila?!

Onward! Is this considered a chatroom? I really enjoy our small group and ongoing comments and check-ins.

Peace Out :thumbsup:

Hi :) I am still trying to catch up with all your posts here. I am glad i found the forum to learn from your experiences and work on plan to get rid of Ambien. My native language is German (sry for my English). I took Ambien for 15 years (always 5 mg - half a pill) and never experienced problems. I don't drink alcohol and never used other medication.

Just three weeks ago I realised that my strange backpain and anxiety within the last months could relate to the drug. Time to get rid of it. My plan is to taper it and reduce 10% of it every once in a while. Atm I am down to 2.95 mg and had my first night without sleep (= too fast). Yesterday i saw a new doctor and he wanted me to switch to "Trazodone". I refused. I don't want to replace one drug with another.

At the moment I am sometimes struggeling with anxiety when going to bed because I fear not being able to go to work the next day (without getting enough sleep). I am learning to accept having rough nights. 

Have a nice day!!

Welcome Sabitzer to Team Z! Glad to have you onboard with us. This is a very supportive group so please hang your coat on the rack, take a seat and make yourself comfortable here. From your post I see that you figured out your strange symptoms are because you’re tolerant to Ambien. So you want to get off it by tapering. This is a good idea IMO because Ambien is a very sneaky evil little pill that is known to cause many doctor and emergency room visits resulting in all testing to be normal. After going from doctor to doctor visit, they will start thinking you’re making it up and tell you that you need other medication. In your case, I see that has happened. IMO you’re wise not to start something else. If you do, those other medications will have their own effects, withdrawal and require a taper to get off them while you’re already dealing with Ambien withdrawals. Ambien has a very short half life. What you may also be experiencing is interdose withdrawal. Interdose WD is when you have strange symptoms between your doses. It’s almost always gives you fast relief when you take your next dose. With Ambien, it’s usually around bedtime that the desire is very strong to take your dose because of symptoms. I see that you’ve already started your taper plan. If I’m not mistaken, is your plan to reduce by 10% once in a while? Or once a month? You are already at 2.95mg? You have done well so far. There’s nothing wrong with your plan that I can see. But if you’d like, the ideal taper is 10% every 2 weeks according to the Ashton manual. In my opinion this is a more ideal plan because of Ambien being a short half life drug. Also it’s the only medication you’re on. But this is your choice. At low doses that you’re on, I don’t see any harm in speeding up a bit to get off. I know that might seem scary. That’s normal. We all were scared too. Because Ambien is a sleep drug, it’s very common to experience rebound insomnia when tapering or after tapering. This is also normal and is temporary. Coming off Ambien makes people think they won’t sleep without it. That is NOT true. ALL of us had this fear. ALL of us are sleeping. I started a very strict sleep and bedtime routine as I tapered using CBTI techniques. It gave me a tool to build my sleep confidence as well as corrected bad sleep habits. Are you using a sleep routine at night? Our dear friend Kachina was on Ambien for 20 years and a higher dose than you. She’s sleeping too. I’m sure she’ll chime in to message you. But having some rough nights are to be expected. You will be able to function at work on a little sleep. It’s surprising how much the body can do this. Will you be tired? Yes but you will make it. And getting only a little sleep won’t kill you. We have all been through what you’re going through and alive to share with you. I hope that gives you some peace of mind.  :)  We are here for you. You’re not alone. We understand what you’re going through. You will do well. You’ll be free of Ambien and will be sleeping without it.  :thumbsup:

Big hugs and again WELCOME!

Wow! Thank you LadyDen for your motivating words!!!  :smitten: I started to have a bedtime routine and go to bed/get out of bed the same time every day for two weeks now. It was important for me to understand that it is not normal to sleep for 8 hours without waking up (I used to sleep 7-8 hours with Ambien). Today I went to work without any sleep for the first time and my students were as tired as I am now because of their computer/mobile phone routine in the evenings ;)  After a rough night I try to figure out what to do. Stay awake until my sleep window starts (bedtime routine) or go to bed earlier. Thanks again for the nice welcome message!! CU

Welcome Sabitzer!

I think Lady Den gave you some good information.  I took Z Drugs for around 15 years too and I'm completely off of them now and I do get a reasonable amount of sleep.  It will take some time but you will get there! 

Wow! Thank you LadyDen for your motivating words!!!  :smitten: I started to have a bedtime routine and go to bed/get out of bed the same time every day for two weeks now. It was important for me to understand that it is not normal to sleep for 8 hours without waking up (I used to sleep 7-8 hours with Ambien). Today I went to work without any sleep for the first time and my students were as tired as I am now because of their computer/mobile phone routine in the evenings ;)  After a rough night I try to figure out what to do. Stay awake until my sleep window starts (bedtime routine) or go to bed earlier. Thanks again for the nice welcome message!! CU

You’re very welcome sweetheart. Going to bed at the same time and waking at the same time is a very good idea. This trains your brain and body to start inducing sleepiness. Sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Keep a strict schedule of this and you will do well. Good thing your students were tired too  :laugh:  When you have a rough night here are some suggestions….

1. Get out of bed and set a time for 1-2 hours of reading with a soft lighting only

2. Walk around the house for a few minutes then sit down to listen to soothing instrumental music with your eyes closed

3. Wear a sleep mask and earplugs to bed picture yourself on a nice beach or garden. Make sure you’re very comfortable and staying still with your body relaxed

4. If you can tolerate milk, drink a warm glass then go back to bed.

5. Be at peace with how much sleep you get. If it’s only 3-4 hours then that’s ok. If you stress about it, it creates more anxiety. The anxiety will make you sleep even less. So the sooner you can make it not be a big deal the better  :thumbsup: Oftentimes when you do this, many start sleeping well.

6. If you’re a religious person, when you can’t sleep then read the Bible. This one works pretty well. The last thing Satan wants is you looking to God! :laugh: Sleepy you will get….think about people being sleepy in church.  :thumbsup:

I didn't have any problems at all with low dose Trazodone.  It helped me sleep.  Also I took the AD imipramine and norpramin for years and had no side effects, did a one month taper, and had no withdrawal symptoms at all when I got off it.  Not all drugs have side effects, need a long taper, or have w/d symptoms.  It depends on the person.  If you try other drugs start a very tiny dose to see how your body reacts to it.  Dr. Ashton even said that some people do take AD's to help them. 

I noticed something interesting tonight. I took 2.80 mg yesterday. The next two hours were filled with symptoms (back pain, insomnia, anxiety, etc.). After that, the seemingly minimal effect wore off and I was able to sleep for 5 hours afterwards. My conclusion would therefore be to stop taking the pill completely. It no longer has any effect and only brings problems. During the day there were no withdrawal symptoms at all. Do you have any ideas? The 5 hours of sleep were no longer possible because of the pill, but without.

Sab you may be having paradoxical reactions. I had this also when I got down to my last couple of mg of Ambien. After taking your dose, if paradoxical then you feel bad for awhile in stead of the relief it used to give. I HATED when it was time for my night dose because I knew it would make me feel terrible. So yeah I’ve experienced that.

As for you deciding to jump at this point, I can’t tell you to do that. It’s your personal choice. But I will advise you to do a little research about your dosage equivalent to Valium. Then make a decision. If you look through this Z group thread you’ll see other buddies who C/T, jumped half way, jumped at 2mg or 1mg or tapered all the way to zero. Personally I jumped at 1/2 a mg because it made no sense to take such a crumb every night just to make me feel sicker. But I will say that I mentally prepared myself….acceptance is key. Accept the process. Expect symptoms and that I might not feel good for awhile. Distract myself during symptoms. Something to keep the brain and hands busy each day is ideal. Also in place of taking your nightly dose ( after you jump) replace it with something positive. For example, your brain and body is used to you taking a pill at night so to make it easier to transition to not taking something, try adopting a new habit of reading a book instead or having a glass of warm milk or doing a crossword puzzle.  :thumbsup: Oh and once you jump…celebrate it!  :thumbsup:

Hi Sabitzer, Welcome!!

I'm glad you've gotten some input and are off to a great start on your taper. That's awesome that you went 15yrs without noticing too many side effects, or any really, until recently! Also congratulations on your bedtime routine!

I am curious to see how your nights and symptoms occur going forward---especially in relation to your last post about if it's better to just jump.

I'll share my thoughts based on my experience, BUT I see that you are thinking of jumping soon so perhaps what I'll say is not relavent to you. When you said you didn't get any sleep I was concerned that if you kept having sleep problems you'd suffer and struggle, so I was going to suggest that you stay at the lowest dose for at least 2 weeks if not longer before dropping again. The main point is don't rush if you are struggling--which is why we taper low and slow, at 0.50mg every 10-14 days, to have an easier time. There's really no hurry unless it feels right to you to go faster! We do want to avoid going down so far and struggling and then thinking going up higher is what we need to do so we get some sleep!

Your body will re-set itself after a bad night or two. I didn't struggle too much with sleepless nights during my taper. Hot bath at night and getting offline early helped a lot. I do sometimes struggle now though and had to learn what you're already saying:  I can get through my day even if I get lousy sleep or not sleep or little sleep! I CAN MAKE IT. Whereas when dependent on the med I didn't think I could!

It's an awesome thing to be off and done! We're glad you're here, keep us posted on your journey! The medical doctor I consulted with wanted me to stop in a matter of a few weeks but I just knew that wasn't right for me. I was scared and didn't want to fail at my taper so went very slow!! I held the dose more than 2 weeks a couple of times when I was under a lot of stress, and I also shortened it when it felt right.

You'll know what's right for you! You're off to an amazing start! You are also avoiding a lot of health problems by getting off, but Deanna got off quite fast and still had/has symptoms to work through. LadyDen too. I haven't had too many since I stopped after my long taper.

Thank you all for your kind words! I believe today is the day. I jump. I'm excited and expect a few days of restless sleep. Bye for now! Take care!  ::)

The first night I was awake for three hours and then slept for six hours. I'm tired but I made it thanks to your testimonials. My first day off medication in 15 years! I still can't believe it. The next few weeks will show how it goes on. I have thrown away all the pills. I wish you a great weekend!

Congrats Sabitzer!!!  The first step is the hardest psychologically - once you get past it you will find yourself committed to the med-free psyche.  You did pretty well for the first night off meds and it will get better and better as time goes by!

Thank you all for your kind words! I believe today is the day. I jump. I'm excited and expect a few days of restless sleep. Bye for now! Take care!  ::)

Best of luck, Sab. Welcome to being Ambien free! Your first night went well. Expect that you’ll have some rough nights then better ones. It’s all part of your brain getting back to normal. please keep us posted.

Big hugs and

Congrats!

Good morning Team Z! I hope you all slept well. Big hugs 🤗 and decaf coffee ️ with a nice breakfast 🍳 🧇 🥓 to start your day. It’s a cold morning here in the upper 20’s. I’m staying warm under my blankets plus an extra heater on in my room. Stay distracted everyone and warm.

The first night I was awake for three hours and then slept for six hours. I'm tired but I made it thanks to your testimonials. My first day off medication in 15 years! I still can't believe it. The next few weeks will show how it goes on. I have thrown away all the pills. I wish you a great weekend!

Very Awesome!!!! That's a very good amount of sleep too! Woo Hoo, Congratulations! So wonderful to be done with it and to have none in the house!!

Cheers to us all! Stay warm! I actually slept until 7:20am, wow! That was because the night before I only had 4 hours I guess.

Onward toward Spring!

Congratulations Sabitzer! That's a great accomplishment. I was on the meds for a little over 15 years and the fact that I don't  take ANY now is what gets me up in the morning. I thought the day would never come and I imagine you feel the same.  Be proud of yourself. And you had a GOOD first night by comparison to most of us.  You're off to a good start. 

Warmly,

Helen

Hi Sleepy welcome to Team Z! I’m not knowledgeable about temazepam. And I can’t say that it will mask the zop for sure. But I do know zop is short acting and it’s advised that if you’re on two medications, if one is short half life then the you can taper the short half life first. I’ve also heard of people doing the opposite so that the short acting one will allow them to sleep at night. IMO I think it’s a personal choice that you must make. Perhaps you can decide which is the better route to take by doing some research. Have you posted this question on the taper threads?

There is a board on this forum that will give you some good advice about tapering and which drugs to taper first and about cross-overs.  I only give advice about my own experiences and never about things I haven't gone through.