Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Dear Team Z! It's so empty here right now :) I hope you're doing well and I'm not boring you with an update from last week.

I was particularly interested in the first few days after withdrawal. So I am writing down my experiences here for other readers.

The nights always brought about 5 hours of sleep. Sometimes it takes three hours for me to fall asleep. I wake up almost every hour. But then it is no problem to fall asleep again. I also had a night with seven hours of sleep a few days ago. I sometimes have a strange feeling for an hour or two in the morning. I can not describe it. Restlessness mixed with slight anxiety. In the morning I sometimes have a strange feeling all over my back (no pain). Overall though, the days are pretty good and luckily the short nights don't affect my work. In my opinion, the first week went surprisingly well overall and I had no desire to take the medication again.

Thanks to this forum and you all!!!

Dear Team Z! It's so empty here right now :) I hope you're doing well and I'm not boring you with an update from last week.

I was particularly interested in the first few days after withdrawal. So I am writing down my experiences here for other readers.

The nights always brought about 5 hours of sleep. Sometimes it takes three hours for me to fall asleep. I wake up almost every hour. But then it is no problem to fall asleep again. I also had a night with seven hours of sleep a few days ago. I sometimes have a strange feeling for an hour or two in the morning. I can not describe it. Restlessness mixed with slight anxiety. In the morning I sometimes have a strange feeling all over my back (no pain). Overall though, the days are pretty good and luckily the short nights don't affect my work. In my opinion, the first week went surprisingly well overall and I had no desire to take the medication again.

I'm thrilled for you Sabitzer, we have another member who is stuck on Ambien and I sent them this way, I hope they'll see your story, its a good one!  :thumbsup:

Sabitzer,

I'm glad to hear things are going well so far!  You have a good attitude and it sounds like you have minimal symptoms at this point.  Congratulations!

Sabitizer I’m very happy for you. I knew you could do it! It’s very kind of you to post about your one week ambien free experience. Once I got down to my last couple of mg I also didn’t have cravings. No one can tell you how long the symptoms will last or if you won’t get any new ones. But, it looks like you will have a much easier road to recovery. The weird symptoms you have will go away with a bit of time. I know in my case ( others have the same testimony too) those weird symptoms just vanished away one by one during acute phase. I was left with these few lingering ones that are now my only ones. They’re also my worst ones since the beginning. They’re improving slowly. I’m ok with that.  :thumbsup: I hope you heal quickly and go on to live an enjoyable Ambien free life. It’s a funny thing that once you’re coming off, there’s such fear of not sleeping and others. Then when you’re off, you look back and see the fear was for nothing because it was the medication not wanting us to let go. But we did…you did ….and good riddance to ambien! You did a great job! I was happy to help you. You’re so very welcome. Just to throw caution into the wind…..you might have good nights and bad nights with your sleep for awhile. This is normal. With time, it will become more consistent. You’re getting 5 hours of sleep with no medication is a great sign. Keep a good sleep routine and hygiene.  :thumbsup:

Good to hear from you! Please pop in from time to time to let us know how you’re doing. Big hugs to you dear!

Team Z where are you all? How’s everyone doing?

Kachina Jerry Deanna Helen ?

Sleepyjo what did you decide?

HELLO PAM SWEETHEART!  :)

As for me I’m having morning dread still but it has improved in intensity and duration. My waves and windows are the same, much improved. I’m walking outside very short distance, sitting up watching tv up to an hour now, doing light chores, taking baths inside my tub, doing art again in short segments and cooking. My windows are longer and better quality. I’ve had them occur for 2 consecutive days ( very welcomed new experience) to the point that I woke up feeling very little dread then spent most of the day feeling almost normal. When I did get a wave, it was short lived and mild. This happened last weekend for two days in a row. I’m so excited about my healing. I’m embracing it but also being mindful not to push things too much just yet. I hope you all are doing well. Love and hugs 🤗

Lady Den,

I'm overjoyed with your improvements!  You are able to walk a little bit and sit up and do art and bathe in your tub!  You are on your way, friend! You're going to be too busy to post on BB and that will be wonderful!  I love your steady patience and optimism.  It's working for you and helping the rest of us as well. 

I am slowly but surely making progress too.  I hit the 8 month mark on Feb. 1.  My sleep is pretty consistent with a few fluctuations. I have no trouble falling asleep at night.  If I wait until around 11pm to go to bed, I'm TIRED and I just switch off the light and fall alseep within 2-5 minutes, I think.  I'm starting to sleep longer segments (like sometimes getting 3-4 hours in that first segment) and then waking up more frequently after that. I average around 6 hours total per night. I wish I could get more but maybe this is fine.  I'm still waking up with some tingling and creepy feelings every now and then (anyone else getting this?) but I know how to handle that better now. I have the luxury of moving very slowly in the morning since I no longer have small kids and I retired from work. 

I hope all the Z drug peeps are progressing and thriving. 

Sabitzer!!! You are not boring us, lol. This is what we live for; recovery from these meds!! I'm so happy to read how well you're doing, that's fantastic. You sound really in touch with what's going on with changes in your body. I am very curious about what you do in the time you are waiting to fall asleep---you say it's been 3 hours, do you lay there in the dark? Do you get up and read? Let us know how week 2 is as well please!

Kachina

Lady Den,

I'm overjoyed with your improvements!  You are able to walk a little bit and sit up and do art and bathe in your tub!  You are on your way, friend! You're going to be too busy to post on BB and that will be wonderful!  I love your steady patience and optimism.  It's working for you and helping the rest of us as well. 

I am slowly but surely making progress too.  I hit the 8 month mark on Feb. 1.  My sleep is pretty consistent with a few fluctuations. I have no trouble falling asleep at night.  If I wait until around 11pm to go to bed, I'm TIRED and I just switch off the light and fall alseep within 2-5 minutes, I think.  I'm starting to sleep longer segments (like sometimes getting 3-4 hours in that first segment) and then waking up more frequently after that. I average around 6 hours total per night. I wish I could get more but maybe this is fine.  I'm still waking up with some tingling and creepy feelings every now and then (anyone else getting this?) but I know how to handle that better now. I have the luxury of moving very slowly in the morning since I no longer have small kids and I retired from work. 

I hope all the Z drug peeps are progressing and thriving.

Congrats on making 8 months Helen! You’ve had great improvements too. So great! I also go to bed around 11 because when I go earlier than that I wake up too early. So I wake up now about 6:45 to 7 am every morning. It takes me about an hour or less to fall asleep because most nights I’m in a wave at bedtime. So I get about 6 hours of sleep as well. I’m not complaining at all. Yes sounds like you’re experiencing morning dread. It has various symptoms. Sounds like yours is mild. Which is great and hopefully it will remain that way until it goes away. It’s also good that you don’t get it every morning. My morning dread also started much later than others. It began when I had my last setback Oct 2. It took a month to start getting better. Now it’s very mild and much shorter in duration. Recently I skipped 2 mornings in a row…so yay!

What do you plan on doing when you heal? Will you volunteer somewhere or just be home enjoying your freedom? 

Lady Den,

I'm glad you skipped two days in a row with the morning dread. That's a good sign.  Soon, you'll drop that symptom, I predict.  I haven't thought of mine as dread per se, but maybe that's what it feels like.  It's just this gross all over, yucky, sickish morning feeling.  I have to go very slowly to get into my day starting with deep breathing still lying down, then slowly getting up to open the blinds and then a while of just sitting up in bed with my head back and eventually making my way down to the kitchen and then to the couch with my breakfast where I sit another long while.  Morning hasn't feel really good to me yet but I'm having some mornings that aren't as wicked as others.

Good question about what I will do when I'm healed. I know I want to slowly get back on the tennis court and on my bike.  And funny you'd ask about volunteering. I have a local organization  in mind for that that helps provide food for families in need.  I'm SO tired of having to focus on myself all the time and my healing. I want to get out and help someone else!  What about you? Anyone else? What are people hoping to do?  Travel would be nice, right?

Good morning Team Z! I hope you all slept well. I’m not sure why this thread is so dead other than me, Helen and Kachina the past couple of days. I’m hoping it’s because others are doing better. I also think it strange that there are not many more Zdrug BBs here. I’m just curious is it because most took benzos and ADs? Or those who took it didn’t have much of a WD perhaps because they’re on other meds that masked it? Or they’re still taking it? Or no WD?

Anyway….I hope everyone is doing well.

Helen it sounds like you’re having morning dread for sure. Yours sounds like how mine first started. Just an overall yucky feeling in the morning that lasted until around lunchtime. Your symptoms was nearly identical to mine. And you’re right, it does get better. Mine now is milder and last a couple of hours. It still sucks but much more bearable. The past two nights I’ve had nightmares. I never have two nights in a row. Weird! Do you have them? Please don’t tell me what they are coz mine are bad enough. I’ve had these off and on but never two nights in a row. I’m also wanting to not have to focus on my healing all the time. Soon enough we won’t have to because we’ll be healed. I’d like to help people too. The same as you, maybe volunteer at an orphanage or a food bank. I wish I could start a benzo recovery support locally. There’s such a huge need for those kinds of facilities. They have all other kinds for pills, alcohol, sex, etc but none for benzo WD. That’s sad after all these years. I think I’ll volunteer at a library as well. I will definitely be traveling. A vacation after going through this is much needed. Even if it’s a short drive to a beach for the weekend. Or a weekend in a neat little town that has activities to do. I have a long list of things I’m going to do when I’m healed. I can’t wait!

It's coming LadyDen.  I feel I can do more and more lately.  One of the most "stressful" things for me was shopping in stores.  It was so visually stimulating that it overtaxed my system and sent me right into a wave.  The worst offenders were Hobby Lobby and antique stores, probably because I loved the merchandise.  I always got too excited when I was in those places, and I did too much scrutinizing and such.  Well this weekend I apprehensively spent 3.5 HOURS with my sister-in-law at a huge antiques mall searching for a piece of furniture she was hoping to find.  I've previously been there and had panic attacks before I even knew the drugs were to blame, so this place was a huge challenge for me physically and psychologically.

Well, I am amazed to report that not only did I get through the session with glee, but I did NOT have any ill effects afterwards!  I knew I was going so I made sure to have rested beforehand.  I also packed snacks to keep my blood sugar even.  I felt a bit icky about half way through, but had my sandwich and felt better in about 15 minutes.  I had a slight tension headache afterwards, but that is normal for me when I concentrating hard.  Also, that night I did have a restless sleep, waking many times and not sleeping so well, but that is nothing compared to the 3am pain flares I used to have after a stressful day!

This is a milestone.  I should have posted it over on the milestone thread LOL.  But it just poured out of me here.  I do think going wheat/gluten free has helped me feel so much better.  So I wanted to share this with all of you!  There will no doubt be waves ahead, but I feel the hope of being NORMAL again someday!  Oh please please let this last.  I was so afraid to go to that store, but I am so glad I did!!

Finally I do not know why this thread has been so unpopulated - I do hope it is because no one else is suffering from taking these sleeping pills!

I hope everyone enjoys a peaceful Sunday  :smitten:

LadyDen! I also can't believe there are so few affected. My online research shows at least 3 Mio. patients on Ambien in the US alone. I think most of them are on other meds too (and they mask most of the withdrawal).

It's coming LadyDen.  I feel I can do more and more lately.  One of the most "stressful" things for me was shopping in stores.  It was so visually stimulating that it overtaxed my system and sent me right into a wave.  The worst offenders were Hobby Lobby and antique stores, probably because I loved the merchandise.  I always got too excited when I was in those places, and I did too much scrutinizing and such.  Well this weekend I apprehensively spent 3.5 HOURS with my sister-in-law at a huge antiques mall searching for a piece of furniture she was hoping to find.  I've previously been there and had panic attacks before I even knew the drugs were to blame, so this place was a huge challenge for me physically and psychologically.

Well, I am amazed to report that not only did I get through the session with glee, but I did NOT have any ill effects afterwards!  I knew I was going so I made sure to have rested beforehand.  I also packed snacks to keep my blood sugar even.  I felt a bit icky about half way through, but had my sandwich and felt better in about 15 minutes.  I had a slight tension headache afterwards, but that is normal for me when I concentrating hard.  Also, that night I did have a restless sleep, waking many times and not sleeping so well, but that is nothing compared to the 3am pain flares I used to have after a stressful day!

This is a milestone.  I should have posted it over on the milestone thread LOL.  But it just poured out of me here.  I do think going wheat/gluten free has helped me feel so much better.  So I wanted to share this with all of you!  There will no doubt be waves ahead, but I feel the hope of being NORMAL again someday!  Oh please please let this last.  I was so afraid to go to that store, but I am so glad I did!!

Finally I do not know why this thread has been so unpopulated - I do hope it is because no one else is suffering from taking these sleeping pills!

I hope everyone enjoys a peaceful Sunday  :smitten:

Deanna girl you have me doing the happy dance for you! Way to go sweetie  :highfive:

That’s definitely a sign of healing. We don’t have much longer. So excited for us both. As you know I’m doing new things too…taking baths inside the tub, cooking, walking and sitting up. Wow we’ve come a long way. You did soooooooo great! This made my day. I’m so happy for you. You know what? I almost want to attempt a car ride just to see how I’d do. I think I might do that soon. Yes I would count that accomplishment of yours as a milestone for sure. Lol I love antique malls. I love looking at the things from back in time. They’re so beautiful and was made with the best materials which is why they’ve lasted this long. I’m sure your new progress is here to stay. Now you must do it again soon.  :thumbsup:

Love and hugs. Enjoy your Sunday deary ❤️ Thanks for sharing that. I’m so inspired now to try another new thing.

Sab I agree. There’s no way all those people are doing fine. The WD from Zdrug is just as bad as benzo and in some cases worse. I know because I’m a living witness. Sad but true. Maybe some more will stagger in here soon.

Enjoy your day today . ❤️

LD,

I love all your volunteer and travel ideas!  I'm with you! Volunteering at the library would be awesome! I'm a big reader now that my brain can handle it.  We have a beautiful library in our town and I think I'd love to work in there.  You are making such great progress that I just know that this time next year, you're going to be way too busy to be on your computer in the morning so we better enjoy you now!  Thanks for confirming my morning symptoms match yours, Twin Sister.  I'm VERY tingly, buzzy today.  I hope I'll get that much needed deep breath in the next hour or so. 

Deanna,

Your HUGE outing is such inspiration! You handled it!  I often find that some food keeps me going too.  That's just fantastic how you handled that and enjoyed it too! You weren't just going through the motion and trying to keep from crashing.  You did a thing and you liked it!  Stores really get to me too. My body gets really tight and my chest gets tight along with it.  Standing in lines for checkout is what really gets to me.  There have been times I thought I wouldn't make it and I'm basically just standing there muttering prayers under my breath.  I managed yesterday at the mall for a brief time but had to hold on to my husband's arm. But I'm giving myself exposure therapy about every other day and pushing just a little bitty bit.  Thanks for sharing your antique mall victory! 

Whether some people get Z drug WD or not is an interesting question. Sabitzer, you make a valid point that people may not thing they are having symptoms because they are masking it with other meds or alcohol. Coincidentally, I have a good friend who has been on 10mg of Ambien for a long time (at least 15 or 16 years).  She's worried about her memory and I had been noticing she was very forgetful (telling me the same things every time we talked).  She was also reporting being jumpy around loud noises and some other things.  I've been encouraging her to taper and she is now down to 2.5 mg which is amazing and she was telling me that she is sleeping some nights (not all) and feeling pretty good.  She has not been debilitated at all like I have been at stages.  As we continued to talk she told me she is also using melatonin, ashwaganda and Unisom, CBD (without THC) and a glass of wine in addition to the 2.5 mg of Ambien!  Of course, she's sleeping, right?  I think I survived my taper doing some of that stuff too (not all at once) so I'm not judging....just noting how she might be getting through without some of the bad stuff.  But she has no trouble with her balance and no tingling or anything. I guess when she fully jumps, we'll see. I so hope she doesn't suffer as I care fo her.  But it is an interesting question why some people and not others. 

Perhaps many have real side effects only very late. I only had the first side effects after about 13 years (I only know that thanks to benzobuddies). The corona pandemic has probably caused the number of prescriptions to skyrocket. I know two people at work who also take Ambien now (probably the number is much higher). Unfortunately, they haven't realized it yet. Ambien is seen by them as a miracle cure for 4 hours of sleep. Unfortunately I was like that too. I'm sure I'll never poison myself for 4 hours of bad sleep again. I'd rather have 4 hours of sleep without medication and be at peace with myself the next day.

Me too Sab I’d rather have my natural no medicated sleep. That is strange how people can take Ambien for so long before they realize it’s causing symptoms. This happened to me too. It wasn’t until I was tapering that symptoms went away immediately that I realized they were there. What a sneaky devilish little pill. A miracle??? More like a nightmare! But I see why they think that. I did too.

So many good topics to respond to here today!

First of all thank you all for your good wishes about my Antiques Mall victory.  It makes me emotional to hear all of you cheering me on as we all have had a horrible go of this journey.  The fact that we are all supporting each other brings tears to my eyes.  I don't think I would have survived this experience without this forum in general and you guys in particular!

LadyDen, I would encourage you to indeed try new things and take a 5 minute car ride soon.  It isn't going to go well right away but if you keep at it and let time pass in between attempts that is how we change our brain via neuroplasticity.  There were so many times I went to the stores and felt crappy and left.  Then I would stay a little longer and get through it but have after effects later on.  I just kept doing it.  Then I started to see the improvement ever so slowly.  Hobby Lobby was my test ground, the exposure therapy I needed to keep going.  And it did take a long time, but eventually it worked.  So keep up that walking, and perhaps even push through the sitting up watching TV past when you would normally.  That way you are one second away from stopping the exposure and laying down is in your total control at a moments decision by you.  That should keep the fear down about trying it!  We are gonna DO THIS TOGETHER!

Helen that good friend of yours should kiss your feet.  You are saving her from this horrible experience.  I think it may be easier to get off the Ambien when your body hasn't yet hit tolerance.  The fact that she is using all those other meds and alcohol means she is getting close.  They may be masking the tolerance but she will need to deal with it all someday.  I read in my new book about epigenetics that Ambien, benadryl and others lower acetylcholine which is needed to make memories so that is definitely going on there. 

Sabitzer you are so right - there is an epidemic coming from this pandemic of mental health issues and higher prescription drug use.  It is so sad really.

Love you All! 

I think the reason that there aren't too many who post on this thread is because this is BENZObuddies.org, and most people who come on this forum are taking benzo's OR benzo's and Z-drugs-like I did, and not exclusively Z-drugs.

So many good topics to respond to here today!

First of all thank you all for your good wishes about my Antiques Mall victory.  It makes me emotional to hear all of you cheering me on as we all have had a horrible go of this journey.  The fact that we are all supporting each other brings tears to my eyes.  I don't think I would have survived this experience without this forum in general and you guys in particular!

LadyDen, I would encourage you to indeed try new things and take a 5 minute car ride soon.  It isn't going to go well right away but if you keep at it and let time pass in between attempts that is how we change our brain via neuroplasticity.  There were so many times I went to the stores and felt crappy and left.  Then I would stay a little longer and get through it but have after effects later on.  I just kept doing it.  Then I started to see the improvement ever so slowly.  Hobby Lobby was my test ground, the exposure therapy I needed to keep going.  And it did take a long time, but eventually it worked.  So keep up that walking, and perhaps even push through the sitting up watching TV past when you would normally.  That way you are one second away from stopping the exposure and laying down is in your total control at a moments decision by you.  That should keep the fear down about trying it!  We are gonna DO THIS TOGETHER!

Helen that good friend of yours should kiss your feet.  You are saving her from this horrible experience.  I think it may be easier to get off the Ambien when your body hasn't yet hit tolerance.  The fact that she is using all those other meds and alcohol means she is getting close.  They may be masking the tolerance but she will need to deal with it all someday.  I read in my new book about epigenetics that Ambien, benadryl and others lower acetylcholine which is needed to make memories so that is definitely going on there. 

Sabitzer you are so right - there is an epidemic coming from this pandemic of mental health issues and higher prescription drug use.  It is so sad really.

Love you All!

Thank you for that suggestion and encouragement. I definitely will try a car ride soon. I feel I’m nearly ready anyway. I just had to get to the point to where I could even walk out to the car. I’m getting there slowly but surely. I’m pushing past some things then I go rest. That’s how I’ve gotten this far. So yes you’re right! It is my motto…..push but don’t shove. Your getting out certainly is motivating me.  :thumbsup: No way of knowing what we can do unless we try it.

Love to you my dear friend. The support from you all is also overwhelming me to tears too.

♥️❤️🌹

Wow! Lots of good healing and support going on! I so relate to the overwhelm of stores ... and to being absolutely clueless that ambien was causing my symptoms and taking benzos and ADs to try and cope. But now I'm free. Yes, Becks, I agree, the site is benzos. Maybe a whole new site for ambien ...

Congratulations Helen, LadyDen and Deanna, on your progress:  I'm really happy for you!!!

Jerry? TwiLila? John? Others? ... sorry I forget names.

I've had some very emotionally challenging things going on in my relationship with my mother and not sleeping as well which is stressful and upsetting especially since I'm just a few weeks in to a new job. Have you seen the video where the woman calls to order a pizza and uses code to have them send the police as she's in an abusive relationship? Last night I dreamt I made that call. That's how I feel and I won't go into more about it...but the up side is that I AM DREAMING, LOL.

Overall, though, I never saw myself here, in a new career and without those mysterious symptoms ... and I am SO HAPPY and THANKFUL.

Hi zzzzzers,

After a week maintenance, my swimming pool opens again this week. A good moment to do a next taper step. It is appr. 1 mm less than my previous step. I am following the Olympic Games, mostly the Dutch skaters. I also play saxophone once in a while. I still get a weekly lesson. I hope to improve so much mentally, that I can start painting again in spring. Recently I made a book with emails and photos from the year I studied in Copenhagen, Denmark. That book proved, that I still can do certain tasks, if I want too.

Huggs and success for all of you!  :thumbsup: Jerry

Thanks for checking in Kachina and Jerry. Good to hear from you both. My best wishes!

Good morning Team Z. I hope today is a better day for you all. Lately I’ve been having nightmares each night. I recall Dr Ashton saying that they’re a sign of healing. So Kachina you’re not alone with having bad dreams. I was only having them every blue moon. The past 3 nights in a row…bad dreams. I’m keeping in mind that they are just that.

Yesterday was a good day mostly. I walked a bit outside even though it’s cold. Sat up for half the day in intervals. My waves were not too bad. All of my bathing is now inside the tub so far. Good progress! So yes I’ll take it  :thumbsup:  I’m noticing I’m getting more annoyed at my symptoms ( waves) that’s also a good sign of healing. Hopefully that means I’m entering the next phase. I hope so because I’ve been in phase 2 a long time.

Keep holding on as you press forward everyone. We’re getting there.  :thumbsup:

♥️❤️💗♥️❤️💗

Kachina, I'm thinking of you with your mother/daughter relationship issue.  That stuff is HARD.  It's very exciting you can hold down a job. You're leading the pack!

Lightspacer, 

Good luck with your next cut in your taper.  I'm watching the Olympic Games as well. 

Lady Den,

You are DOING THIS THING!  I'm so happy for your progress report!

I had a good day yesterday. I felt nearly normal for a good portion of the day and was able to do some gentle yoga and housework. When I put on my headsets and listen to a book or podcast or music, even doing housework seems fun compared to being bed or couch bound.  I'm ready for some REAL fun though. I'm getting itchy to get out more. 

Here's wishing everyone a great day!

Kachina, I'm thinking of you with your mother/daughter relationship issue.  That stuff is HARD.  It's very exciting you can hold down a job. You're leading the pack!

Lightspacer, 

Good luck with your next cut in your taper.  I'm watching the Olympic Games as well. 

Lady Den,

You are DOING THIS THING!  I'm so happy for your progress report!

I had a good day yesterday. I felt nearly normal for a good portion of the day and was able to do some gentle yoga and housework. When I put on my headsets and listen to a book or podcast or music, even doing housework seems fun compared to being bed or couch bound.  I'm ready for some REAL fun though. I'm getting itchy to get out more. 

Here's wishing everyone a great day!

Heck yeah girlfriend! How awesome to read this. I’m feeling antsy too to go try to go somewhere. I’m also ready for real fun! Well at least my brain is but my body maybe not so much. Lol

Love ❤️