Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Wow jerry that sounds like a great day! Filled with things u enjoy! Started off by a delicious coffee from ur new machine! So glad U had a good day and dinner with ur dad will be lovely x how is he by the way? I know he is lucky to have you keep him company now x

Today I am home, I will get the coffee machine in the evening. I am not feeling great, but it is ok. A friend of me will come along too, to pick up some music on paper that I copied and printed. My father is ok. I see him often. Mostly for dinner.

I’m glad ur friend is coming to visit and ur dad is doing okay x do something nice for urself jerry when u are feeling down. I have a bunch of movies that are my favorite that I watch on the bad days. I know them off by heart but they’re funny

Hi Leann.  I definitely had mental symptoms, but they took a backseat to the physical ones until I hit tolerance withdrawal on Ambien. At that point I was depressed, had anxiety and panic attacks and had no idea what was happening to me.  Once I started tapering the mental symptoms improved first, and now 3 months post jump I have mostly physical symptoms, but really I am not the same person mentally.  My short term memory is shot, and I do notice that I get very angry even with the ppl most dear to me.  I can't believe how mean I can be in my thoughts about my loved ones.  It surprises me and makes me realize the drug has really impacted my thought patterns.  If I lived alone I would not even notice it, bc I wouldn't be interacting with anyone that closely.  I am almost dead emotionally, and I'm looking forward to the day I can find joy with my loved ones again.  I feel like the drug has made me the most selfish person in the world :-(

Hey dee! Haven’t seen u around lately x hope ur doing ok x think we all have mental symptoms but some of us seem to get them more so than others. I feel the same around my family too some days. Some days I’ll be in the car with them and not say a word. Don’t want to talk to them at all. It’s horrible x

The last few years about 3 years was taking 1.87 mg a night. Did try stopping first in Oct 18 and think then started getting withdrawal symptoms, I was planning to gradually withdraw over time but when GP retired they suddenly stopped them wouldn't give me any more. It was being made to stop cold turkey triggered it all off. Tapering slowly I'm sure you will eventually be OK just gradually taper down.I went through period feeling emotionally dead coming  off AD's it will pass. Mornings are bad for most people. You are doing the right thing gradually tapering just do it at your own pace. You will do it don't be disheartened if takes few goes, you will get there.

Glad some other zdrug buddies are here to tell u their stories about mental sxs Leann. Xx

Just really had enough now every few nights can't sleep on top of everything else. Really feel like reaching for the zopiclone. Back to where I was 14 years ago when first started taking them

Really feel like reaching for the zopiclone.

leann, can you just throw them out? It seems like unnecessary torture, knowing you have something on hand that *might* help, but also knowing it will be really bad for you to take one. OMG I couldn't do it. Plenty of buddies have to toss their leftover pills away because they don't trust themselves to "just say no" when things get rough and take one to deal with w/ds.

Why not just chuck them, then start researching other things to help your insomnia? Like a double-strength cup of chamomile tea.

I'm sorry for what you're going through. Its familiar. I've been there. But I knew I had to get rid of those pills.

Katz

Why not just chuck them, then start researching other things to help your insomnia? Like a double-strength cup of chamomile tea.

Really? Chamomile tea? Why do you think people started these meds to begin with?

Leann perhaps we can have a flush party together!  :laugh:

Not going to throw them away in some ways they are bit like a comfort blanket throwing them away not going to stop it just make it feel worse if didn't have any. Had about hours sleep took phenergan and some melatonin. Think I'll get some valerian drops seemed work better than tablets. Feel like crap this morning. Just can't understand why after 21 months off starting to get insomnia again unless it's AD withdrawal, life sucks!

Really? Chamomile tea? Why do you think people started these meds to begin with?

[/quote

Literally tried everything having had sleep problems for years. Thought was done with this after being fairly Ok with sleep for about 20 months.

Hey john katz had terrible insomnia for a long time too and once she was off the camomile tea helped her. We all have to try different things and see what works. I drink chamomile tea nightly and it does help calm me down, unfortunately not to sleep yet but once we’re off this crap who knows it might work for us too. Worth a shot!

Leanne maybe don’t take phenergan they made me feel like shit too. Get some valerian drops if they helped. Understand if ur not ready to flush, I’m not worried about taking them that’s the only reason they’re still in my bathroom else they’d be down the loo by now. I’m not tempted to take one at all

Hey john katz had terrible insomnia for a long time too and once she was off the camomile tea helped her. We all have to try different things and see what works. I drink chamomile tea nightly and it does help calm me down, unfortunately not to sleep yet but once we’re off this crap who knowWorth a shot!

Leanne maybe don’t take phenergan they made me feel like shit too. Get some valerian drops if they helped. Understand if ur not ready to flush, I’m not worried about taking them that’s the only reason they’re still in my bathroom else they’d be down the loo by now. I’m not tempted to take one at all

[/quote

Maybe coz they didn't work for you, whereas worked treat for me, but know that aren't long term answer. Chamomile tea does actually  help if u put 2 bags in.

Not it’s not coz they didn’t work for me it’s because they made me incredibly sick ands it’s taken me the best part of 2 years to get off them. I don’t want to rely on pills to sleep I want to just go to sleep like I used to. Everyone has bad nights even people that haven’t been in our shoes. It’s up to u if u want to take them occasionally but if u want to heal u have to try not to. I don’t believe they are benign tablets because of what they did to me. Everyone should make their own decisions tho. No judgement from me. Xx

Exactly.

And I've yet to meet anyone here with CRD, non-24.  If anyone does have it, how have you dealt with it without meds in a world that is NOT non-24...

I don’t know why people are suddenly being lynched on here for offering advice and support to other buddies but that’s not why we’re are here. This is a support forum. If u cant be supportive and more careful with your reply please feel free not to comment. We are all struggling in our own way, your struggle Is difficult as is mine. I have felt the pain in ur response and I recognize that, but please don’t resort to being dismissive of other people’s opinions. These opinions are only offered with the best intentions, even if u deem them to be a futile offering. I know I’d rather drink a few double bags of camomile tea over taking the shit our drs have prescribed which as we know harms us far more than just giving us a few precious hours of sleep.

Absolutely. I have actually found chamomile tea is the only thing to slightly help when I have a night when I can't sleep. Think most people on here have already tried most things especially with long lasting problems like mine, but there is always the chance something different is suggested that might help . I have no idea what CRD is maybe you can explain. Zopiclone enabled me to sleep and unlike most on here had no bad side effects which is why it is so hard not to take it again but I know it's not long term solution.

CRD is a circadian Rhythm disorder that a lot of blind people suffer from, and also non blind people too. Ur body doesn’t have a clock so night time shifts every day. It was floated for a while that I might have this.. but since I wasn’t sleeping much at all they ruled it out. Blind people suffer from it because their eyes don’t pick up the changes from light to dark so their bodies don’t produce the hormones necessary to start the processes needed for sleep. Absolutely awful condition and I feel for those who suffer from it x as do I feel sorry for those suffering narcolepsy although I’m so sleep deprived I’d take a couple of weeks of narcolepsy right now. Sleep deprivation makes us crazy and angry but let’s not take it out on each other. We’re all in this shit sandwich together

Just want to add my two cents here about throwing out the pills:  Once I knew I wouldn't need them because of some serious acute withdrawal-related problem (like a seizure) I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.  For me they represented POISON that I had no idea was causing my nearly 2 years of torture.  The act of throwing them out was cathartic for me.  Also I was afraid that I would take them by accident in the middle of the night out of some rote habit.  I never regretted getting rid of them!

And on the subject of Chamo tea: It is the single most helpful remedy I have found that is not causing me problems.  I use various blends of the YOGI brand, my go to is the "Calming" blend.  Stay away from passionflower or kava ingredients.  It eases my physical symptoms and when I am up for 3 hours in the middle of the night it really helps me get back to sleep. 

The pills are a crutch.  We must find alternative less harmful ways to cope.  I was on that poison for 12 years and now I find chamo tea just dandy as a replacement.  So do not discount the ability to change and grow.  That is what neuroplasticity is all about!

Thanks Shayna for asking how I am doing...I think I see some progress as I can now concentrate on doing things around the house.  I am finding some joy in my crafting again.  I think the step towards true healing is getting involved in something else and losing yourself in it so that you don't even think about other things - I think the neuroscientists call it "flow"....

I wish all of you some tiny joy today  :smitten:

Ha all doing a z-drug taper, today is a bit tougher than the last days... even though I went swmming... More depressed. Yesterday evening I recieved my coffee machine. I am quite happy with it. I especially like the cappuccino’s. I went to the pharmacy today and got my medication for the next thee months, luckily in the brand which I am used to. That means I can focus on my zopiclone taper. I have camomile tea here, I will give it a try. Even though my sleep is ok.

I totally get why some people feel they have to ditch the pills if they affected them badly and might be tempted to start again. For me I find it easier to just leave them there been off them 21 months only recently when I've suddenly started getting zero sleep did Cross my mind about taking the odd one. I've only slept 3 nights out of the last 6 but haven't taken any. Wouldn't touch anti depressants with a barge pole again, think we all  deal with stuff differently. But agree reinstating not a good idea. Chamomile is def calming for me. Also drink something called Horlicks add water to it contains lot calcium to help protect my bones.

Hey Z group! I've heard of horlicks but wondered what's in it. I know they drink it in England. I tried chamomile towards the beginning of my taper and it made me feel terrible. Maybe now that I'm almost 5 months post jump, I might try it again. But not any time soon because I'm having bladder issue ( I think UTI). I'm not doing anything else until it clears up. I'm told bladder issue is very common with benzo recovery. This is my 3rd but the other 2 times was when I started taper and after I finished it. I simply drank more water & cranberry juice. The next 2 days it was gone. But this time OMG!!!!! I have right back pain, bladder pain, feeling fatigued and cranberry is barely helping. The other two times I didn't have back kidney pains.  :'( hurts so much!

Glad to hear from all of you. Jerry, Leann, Shay, Kachina & Deanna and whoever I missed. Big hugs

How's the tapers going? Sleeping well?

Glad everyone is doing ok. Deanna I’m so glad to hear u are doing a bit better x that’s great news! Jerry things will improve u are only a few days into reduction, keep up the swimming. Leann I know how tough the no sleeping is. I asked the universe for just a few hours sleep last night for my birthday and I got zero. Oh well  >:( lady I’m so sorry u are unwell but I know once u get the stuff from chemist u will be feeling better. Wierd I’ve had really bad back pain last 2 mornings was thinking not enuf water

Hey Z group! I've heard of horlicks but wondered what's in it. I know they drink it in England. I tried chamomile towards the beginning of my taper and it made me feel terrible. Maybe now that I'm almost 5 months post jump, I might try it again. But not any time soon because I'm having bladder issue ( I think UTI). I'm not doing anything else until it clears up. I'm told bladder issue is very common with benzo recovery. This is my 3rd but the other 2 times was when I started taper and after I finished it. I simply drank more water & cranberry juice. The next 2 days it was gone. But this time OMG!!!!! I have right back pain, bladder pain, feeling fatigued and cranberry is barely helping. The other two times I didn't have back kidney pains.  :'( hurts so much!

Glad to hear from all of you. Jerry, Leann, Shay, Kachina & Deanna and whoever I missed. Big hugs

How's the tapers going? Sleeping well?

Horlicks is sort of malty drink, mix granules to sort of paste then add water meant help with sleep. Do you have maltesers tastes bit like them. I went through period getting load UTI about every 3 weeks few years ago ended up having go on low dose anti biotics for a year. Did some research and cut out fruit juice and any acidic fresh fruit. Bit of pain not being able to eat them but better than constant water infections I ended up with kidney infection so had to do something drastic.

So today I cleaned the house with someone who helps me. I normally do the bathroom and the toilet. I have a replacement cleaning woman today, she is half Italian and half Dutch. I asked her if she liked some music during the work. She said she would like to hear jazz music. That was a surprise for me, because I listen to a lot of jazz.

I slept ok, but am quite drowsy. Also, I feel more light headed and warm too. I have to accept it is part of tapering. Is it normal to feel hot/warm because of tapering zopiclone?

Jerry

Hi jerry x sounds like u have met someone with good taste in music x glad u have had the help. Yes temperature changes are normal. I have had that on and off x