Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Thanks Left. Hope also jumped in and helped me too!! i so appreciate how we can count on each other! :smitten:

I have the same problem with lidocaine because of the epinephrine. My dentist uses carbocaine. Even when I had my dental implants and extractions, I did great on it.

The reason for 2 (or more) dose per day of V is NOT due to concerns about blood levels.  Because of the long half-life, even dosing once every 24 hours does not result significant variations on blood levels.

It is usually recommend that V be divided into 2 or more doses to minimize the initial effect of the dose.  As most V users know, V is very sedating, and for most folks, a strong depressant.  Multiple dosing (several smaller doses instead of one big one) just minimizes the initial effects of the med.

That makes perfect sense. It was terribly sedating at first. Thanks for the info!

I have also found that certain therapeutic effects of V dont last as long as the majority. In my case muscle relaxation...  But as my body adjusted to the lower doses its less of a problem... So perhaps one could just say its WD..?? -Or more a higher dose thing?? IDK..

Im back to once daily dosing, and most days forget to dose for an hour or two..

Cant, I dont feel many of the sedating side effects anymore except right after I take it. Used to be I was tired most of the day. Now Im fairly close to where I need to be I can tell the wd is ahead of the V because of the wd symptoms- rarely do I feel " ahead" of the game when I feel tired. I would much rather feel the valium than the w/d but then I would never get off of it. Or maybe 10 years from now...

GsGirl,

I have tried it AM then PM, and back again... And Twice daily, when I thought fatigue was interdose WD... -it wasnt... -Back to once daily, just prior to C14 getting home from school, as It picks me up for the evening..

But I take V originally as a muscle relaxant, and that effect only lasts about 5-6 hours for me...

But laying down does the same thing as its all abdominal and GI for me, so I push through the next morning... -Or I would be here the 10 years that KittyBB refers to...

The GI is the thing that guides my taper speed, as it heals, -though its not technically ALL benzo WD in my case... But thats a whole other story...

So in my opinion there can be other facets than just half life, for some people...

But im not sure how much one should let them affect their taper..?? Case by case, I guess, what one can tolerate... I just try things and see what works (within reason)..

I cant see me having to split my dose again from here, and half my current low dose may not provide the releif I need anyway...

All the best...

Today is the first day that I had to sort of 'cheat' and take a little nibble off my night dose during the afternoon.  I am currently a 2 mg AM and 2.5 mg PM.  I'm scheduled to go down .25 mgs on Tuesday, for two weeks, then another .25 mgs again until September. I'm doing the Ashton method, but only half as much for twice as long. I generally haven't been feeling well the last few days, so I took just a 'pinch' off my night dose and took that a few hours early.  I know that probably doesn't do a thing, but I've always taken my Valium 3x a day, and I'm pretty sensitive to meds. I just stopped the afternoon dose last month.  I took the rest of my night dose at my normal time. I may have to hold at the dosage I'm on, because I'm starting to have some more consistent w/d symptoms that are making things more difficult.  I'm also dealing with some additional stress - hubby is struggling with peripheral neuropathy pain/Sjogren's flare in spite of it having been under control, so he's not sleeping much.  That means I'm not sleeping much.  It's 3:45 a.m. as I type this.  My right ear is screaming with brain noise/tinnitus, fine body sweats, and I have the ever present bilateral facial paresthesias and body pain. Of course having lupus and dealing with the hot, humid weather here in SoCal isn't helping either.  So I'm thinking of going ahead and going down the .25 mgs and then see how I feel.  It's taken me since January this year to go down from 7.5 mgs to the 4.5, and I have actually toyed with the idea of throwing in the towel and just going back to the 7.5 mgs a day.  I know that Valium is long-acting, but I think that perhaps my 'cuts' are catching up with me.  I'm eating well, trying to rest when I can, etc.  Everything is always so convoluted with me because of the chronic illness issues...hard to tell what symptoms are coming from what malady. So I'm sort of feeling a bit like a lab rat in a maze... :idiot:

Today is the first day that I had to sort of 'cheat' and take a little nibble off my night dose during the afternoon.  I am currently a 2 mg AM and 2.5 mg PM.  I'm scheduled to go down .25 mgs on Tuesday, for two weeks, then another .25 mgs again until September. I'm doing the Ashton method, but only half as much for twice as long. I generally haven't been feeling well the last few days, so I took just a 'pinch' off my night dose and took that a few hours early.  I know that probably doesn't do a thing, but I've always taken my Valium 3x a day, and I'm pretty sensitive to meds. I just stopped the afternoon dose last month.  I took the rest of my night dose at my normal time. I may have to hold at the dosage I'm on, because I'm starting to have some more consistent w/d symptoms that are making things more difficult.  I'm also dealing with some additional stress - hubby is struggling with peripheral neuropathy pain/Sjogren's flare in spite of it having been under control, so he's not sleeping much.  That means I'm not sleeping much.  It's 3:45 a.m. as I type this.  My right ear is screaming with brain noise/tinnitus, fine body sweats, and I have the ever present bilateral facial paresthesias and body pain. Of course having lupus and dealing with the hot, humid weather here in SoCal isn't helping either.  So I'm thinking of going ahead and going down the .25 mgs and then see how I feel.  It's taken me since January this year to go down from 7.5 mgs to the 4.5, and I have actually toyed with the idea of throwing in the towel and just going back to the 7.5 mgs a day.  I know that Valium is long-acting, but I think that perhaps my 'cuts' are catching up with me.  I'm eating well, trying to rest when I can, etc.  Everything is always so convoluted with me because of the chronic illness issues...hard to tell what symptoms are coming from what malady. So I'm sort of feeling a bit like a lab rat in a maze... :idiot:

I sure understand the lab rat confusion..!!

Hang in there..!!

Asides The reinstating (I would try some lesser options first..), I think all your thoughts/ponderings are spot on..!!

-So I just wish you all the best as you aim for a bit more stability...

[68...]
I am needing advice. I am really struggling right now with withdrawals. I thought I was going to be able to push through this taper and be finished within 6 months, but that doesn't seem feasible. I was doing well until I got down to 7 mg. I'm just under 4 now. What should I do? Do I updose and go slower? Do I stick  it out and stay in the bed?? I also just found out that I am an intermediate metabolizer of valium, meaning I metabolize it slower than normal. Thanks everyone, I'm almost ready to throw in the towel.  :(

Keep hanging in there, redpeach.  7mg is where things got really rough for me as well. If I were you, I'd considering holding for a bit at 4mg. Things got really bad for me at 3.8mg, so I went back up to a round 4mg and hung out for 3 weeks to gain some traction. Then it was back to the grindstone.  Good luck to you.

Best,

Ed

Right behind you on this...I'm at 4.5 mg of Valium, downfrom 7.5mg since January of this year, and the skin stinging,  itching, twitching, and feelings of wanting to jump out of my skin have started over the last few days. I don't even want clothing next to me...it feels like sandpaper. I'm scheduled to go down to 4.25 for the next two weeks and then 4.0 two weeks after that...any advice on hanging out at 4.5 mgs for a few more weeks? I really want to keep tapering, but I wonder if I'm at a place where I should slow down a little more (I'm doing the Ashton taper). I keep telling myself that this means my nerves are starting to do their thing without the Valium, which is a good thing, but I can only tell myself that so long before I feel like I want to give up. I do have good support, so I think I need to just hang in there. Any advice based on experience out there? Grateful for a scrap of hope. Thanks.  :-\

Hi GsGirl, Ashton is too fast for many here. Holding at 4.5 mgs for a few weeks will do no harm. Sounds as though you could use a break to reassess your next step. Most of us have to slow down as we go lower.

Wishing you peace and healing, Left

Hi GsGirl, Ashton is too fast for many here. Holding at 4.5 mgs for a few weeks will do no harm. Sounds as though you could use a break to reassess your next step. Most of us have to slow down as we go lower.

:thumbsup:

And anyhoos its not cheating to nibble a dose early. Even people with " normal" metabolisms can have things affect the way their bodies metabolize the meds at times. Some days it might be a good thing for you to take a smidge of your dose a little early. You still end up with the same amount in total- no harm done. " whatever gets you through the night"... and day. Its a long journey and there are a lot of puzzle pieces we each have to manage to fit together somehow

Cant, I dont feel many of the sedating side effects anymore except right after I take it. Used to be I was tired most of the day. Now Im fairly close to where I need to be I can tell the wd is ahead of the V because of the wd symptoms- rarely do I feel " ahead" of the game when I feel tired. I would much rather feel the valium than the w/d but then I would never get off of it. Or maybe 10 years from now...

That's interesting Kitty - I feel the exact same thing.  Like really spacy when I have too much of the med built up and when I cut, that spaciness goes away.  I also don't seem to feel the spacy and the w/d sx's at the same time.  The spaciness kinda tells me maybe I'm ready to taper again. 

Builder -thanks for clearing up why dosing twice or more instead of once a day. I don't feel the dose when I take it - but I'm on Librium which doesn't "hit" so quickly - so staying at once at a day.

OK Buddies, I am new to the group. I am currently tapering from a compounded Diazapam, it is 2.5 mg/ml and I'm down to .2mls 3x a day. I started at 18 mgs about 2.5 years ago after crossing from Ativan. For the most part my taper has been mainly uneventful, until last month. I made my normal .01 ml reduction 3x a day and within days I went into BENZO HELL. Doc up dosed me from .16 back to .2 but I never improved much and certainly haven't stablized.

I've been told that I'm on a fairly small dose and I'm wondering if this small does is no longer therapeutic and if that is so then could I possibly be an acute withdrawal? Although I also hear that you can't be acute until you no longer or taking any benzo.

I am in and out of despair. I am trying to hold on to hope but I'm finding it more difficult each day that I'm like this.

I read on Ashton where it says (SMH!) - " last dose is .5 mg then you reach the acute phase"- well thats not a direct quote but DAMN - why do they think everyone needs to go into acite at all? You very well could be, but hopefully not for long. Even though thats not considered a therapeutic amount, your brain chemistry is not the same as someone who is not healing from WD. Your balance is MUCH more sensitive, or at least its likely to be. So even a small amount is helping you stay in balance. Everyone is so different Im not sure if reinstating to where you were and going down again would help- thats what I would do if all had gone well until then. Hopefully others will chime in. Im so sorry that happened- guess some people can jump at that dose with no symptoms but many have to go all the way to zero. Im going to below zero if I have enough to keep me going that long... just in case

OK Buddies, I am new to the group. I am currently tapering from a compounded Diazapam, it is 2.5 mg/ml and I'm down to .2mls 3x a day. I started at 18 mgs about 2.5 years ago after crossing from Ativan. For the most part my taper has been mainly uneventful, until last month. I made my normal .01 ml reduction 3x a day and within days I went into BENZO HELL. Doc up dosed me from .16 back to .2 but I never improved much and certainly haven't stablized.

I've been told that I'm on a fairly small dose and I'm wondering if this small does is no longer therapeutic and if that is so then could I possibly be an acute withdrawal? Although I also hear that you can't be acute until you no longer or taking any benzo.

I am in and out of despair. I am trying to hold on to hope but I'm finding it more difficult each day that I'm like this.

Hi,

Welcome... Acute is just a name, its all WD... In your case from earlier cuts catching up...The lag time can be much longer than a few weeks... It stands out more at lower dose... more so if one hasnt adjusted their cut % quite enough...

It would be tempting to just get off now, but thats not what I would do...

Hope you get stable soon...

Hi All:

I've been reluctant to post b/c I keep thinking this is NOT a w/d issue but I have really been suffering from bad headaches for about a month now. They did start around my cut from 4 to 3.75 but I can't put my finger on timing. I NEVER have had headaches before. Headaches come and go and while I've had vision issues all along, this is totally new and a COMPLETE drag. It feels like a last straw. The only thing that helps at all is if I have a glass of wine. Do you guys think this is benzo related or do I have a brain tumor....again? I can't go back to neuro--he thinks I'm crazy. Anyone? I just can't figure why they have come on seemingly out of nowhere. Aleve keeps them from blowing out of control but they hover all day--almost like a post migraine feeling. Everyone is my life is so sick a me---I never feel well. It stinks. Thanks anyone who can relate or has advice---

Blue

Blue :)

If u have history or r worried, u will have to decide on value of getting it checked...

I never get headaches, but do in WD.. -after exercise (lots) and/or after a big cut...

Also light can "hurt" my brain (photo sensitivity -mornings), as can irritating noise or sudden noise...

A kinda "Dry" headache... -Codeine helps me...

Some get a tension headache too, -tight neck, etc...

Been tapering Valium for a while now and my most debilitating sxs's are mostly physical at the moment. If anyone has any suggestions for help with muscle pain and extreme tightness besides the obvious yoga, massage, PT and heat/ice I'd be really appreciateive. Also, trying to keep weight on or gain weight? I'm just pushing through right now. No supplements or other meds but if you've had something help you I'm all ears. Thanks guys and gals.

Been tapering Valium for a while now and my most debilitating sxs's are mostly physical at the moment. If anyone has any suggestions for help with muscle pain and extreme tightness besides the obvious yoga, massage, PT and heat/ice I'd be really appreciateive. Also, trying to keep weight on or gain weight? I'm just pushing through right now. No supplements or other meds but if you've had something help you I'm all ears. Thanks guys and gals.

You dont want a natural medicine? -I had something that was great for cramps when doing 2 day motorbike enduro's... 

Thanks, Can't. Have never had them before. Had a brain MRI 2 years ago when I began taper and tingling started but I guess something could grow in between now and then. Gawd! Can't deal with this worry and pain. Maybe it will pass. Aleve helps a bit. I'll try Coedine. I guess I was just curious if this was a common issue as I don't see it much here...

Thanks!

Bluw

Thanks, Can't. Have never had them before. Had a brain MRI 2 years ago when I began taper and tingling started but I guess something could grow in between now and then. Gawd! Can't deal with this worry and pain. Maybe it will pass. Aleve helps a bit. I'll try Coedine. I guess I was just curious if this was a common issue as I don't see it much here...

Thanks!

Bluw

sorry Blue..  I missed the sarcasm in your "or do I have a brain tumor.... -again?"

-probably cos I had a headache, which is very rare for me...

my cause... -extreme exercise... (I retraced my history) -Or a slight one after a day of gabapentin..

There are more threads on head pressure i think..??

When I asked about headaches ages ago, I didnt get much back... -a good sign...

You could try the surch bar, if you get stuck...

Dont stress, You will be fine... just normal precautions like anyone else would... (minus benzo health anxiety)

Best wishes...

Hi All:

I've been reluctant to post b/c I keep thinking this is NOT a w/d issue but I have really been suffering from bad headaches for about a month now. They did start around my cut from 4 to 3.75 but I can't put my finger on timing. I NEVER have had headaches before. Headaches come and go and while I've had vision issues all along, this is totally new and a COMPLETE drag. It feels like a last straw. The only thing that helps at all is if I have a glass of wine. Do you guys think this is benzo related or do I have a brain tumor....again? I can't go back to neuro--he thinks I'm crazy. Anyone? I just can't figure why they have come on seemingly out of nowhere. Aleve keeps them from blowing out of control but they hover all day--almost like a post migraine feeling. Everyone is my life is so sick a me---I never feel well. It stinks. Thanks anyone who can relate or has advice---

Blue

Blue, I get headaches off and on while tapering...also vision issues too. You said a glass of wine helps and gives you relief. Since alcohol and benzos act on GABA, my guess - and that's all it is - is that this is WD related. Sxs wax and wane....and sometimes new sxs appear seemingly out of nowhere...it happens to me. I've had all kinds of crazy head sxs throughout my taper, some of them can be quite distressing. If your neuro work up came back normal that would be another indicator that the problem is WD related. I'm sorry you feel so sick...my only suggestion would be to hold until you feel better. Perhaps your body needs more time to adjust to the .25 cuts now that you are lower.