Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

J-bird,

I printed out this article to give to my dad a couple of weeks ago. It's a Q and A with Matt Samet.

http://www.alternativemedicine.com/alternative-medicine/features/hidden-epidemic

It definitely helped my dad understand what I am going through and specifically that depression is a serious symptom of benzo withdrawal. I don't know how knowledgable/understanding your adult kids are, but I thought of it when you mentioned your family. Everyone needs to know what benzos can do!

Thanks Human, good article. I actually somehow read...skimmed rather through his book.

J-Bird

Best, Human

Actually J-Bird can't go trazadone because we are in Aus and therefore we don't have access to it. I don't know why. I don't like mitrazapine/remeron as a general rule but it is the only other big sleeper anti depressant.

I'm glad you felt the explanation resonated with you J. I'd hope your Dr and husband would understand that they need to listen to you. There is only one person who knows how fast to taper anything and that is the person tapering. The person tapering is the only person in direct contact with their brain as their very own very independent and individual complex organ. This isn't drug detox where you just keep pushing on through. You are not an addict that need others keeping you strong and forcing you on. You know what you want and have no psychological addiction to this crap. But you can only go so fast as your brain can heal/up-regulate without consequences. Cutting any faster than your brain is healing and it will not be in a state of proper functioning. And no force of will or outside help will make that brain heal faster then it will.  Anyone else heard of someone willing a bruise to heal quicker? Or being so supportive of another person their cut healed faster?

Sorry.. I'll stop ranting now. I just don't like to see someone suffering this much and long. Wish there were some obvious answers for you.

In any case take Care

Smiff

Hi, I agree that going slower is best. I fluctuate between .02 and .03 and occasionally i might go to .04 however I only do that for a day or two. I just reached 7.5 today from 8mg after my crossover from Ativan,  so I will hold that for a few days to make sure my body adjusts and then continue tapering at .03 daily till I reach 7mg ands forth. It is so tempting to go quicker however for me it does not work and i need to function as I work full time.

Do most of you find that after a dose change it takes 4-5 days for any symptoms to show up if it is too large of a cut? Do some of you feel it before 4 days and some afterwards? I know with Valium it is a longer lag time. So I have to be careful and also let my body catch up with cuts after about 2 weeks. I plan on holding a dose for 3-5 days after every .5mg to make sure I am ok on that new dose.

I am off all other medications except for 50mg of Trazadone which does help with sleep and I plan to taper off of that once the benzo taper is finished.

I personally have to take small amounts every 3-4 hours through the day or I get symptomatic and start to feel more tension in my body and some mild palpitations. I take 2mg about 3 times a day and some times I add 1mg or 1.5 at night. Most people here seem to be be fine on only 2 doses a day however my body seems to metabolize it quickly and I find that I would rather give myself small doses and not be symptomatic then take a larger dose all at once and have symptoms until it is time for the next dose. I am not sure why my body functions this way, however I have tried taking more in the morning and I still need another dose about 3-4 hours later so I just take smaller doses which seem to work well for the same time period and spread it throughout he day and make sure I stay within my daily limit.

It seems like it goes on forever, however eventually I know this will be over and it feels good to make daily progress with each small cut. I have to listen to my body as it tells me when to take a dose, how much to take and how often and how much to reduce each day. I don't see another way that could work at least for me, Concerned

Bird - I agree with Smiff totally. I do believe in most cases there is a stable dose of Valium. I don't know exactly why you didn't stabilize at 20mg. Maybe not enough hold time maybe the other drugs maybe this maybe that. The fact is until you stabilize you are probably going to extend your taper with one brain attack after another and have waves and windows and on and on. You have to be committed to do whatever it takes to minimize the suffering. Your husband will have to get with the program and help you do what is right for you or do what a lot of spouses do and play a minor role. I have taken complete control of my taper. I begged my wife to help me when I was experiencing a dark time like you are in and I know now I was expecting way to much from her. I forgive her for not having the capacity to understand so I took the ball, got stable and now she asks me stuff because I leave her out of it as much as possible. I am functioning so we are functioning period. Tough pill to swallow but I've already digested it! I will do whatever it takes to minimize the symptoms of Benzo withdrawal and that's that. Say that 100's of times over and over and the sun will come up on your taper. Ask Okatz and Colorado to name a few. And even me. Learn the hard way but learn once!

etown

Thanks Etown!

J-Bird, I think you should either up-dose till you feel better or hold your dose for as long as it takes to feel better before tapering any more. You may be feeling the effects from changing previous medications and going to quickly and your body just needs time to stabilize. and catch up.  I tried tapering to quickly in the past and i really suffered until I figured out the best way to do this. Once you do and feel ok, you can then make better decisions about tapering more slowly. This process just an can not be rushed without feeling the effects of it. There are no shortcuts and that applies to all the medications you have already gone off of till now. It takes time to adjust however it is worth the wait. Hope you feel better, Concerned

Hi, I posted in here a whole back I think but, i am still not having success with ativan taper and was wondering advice for a crossover.  I mean for someone who is incredibly sensitive to 0.01mg curs in ativan. What might be a good way to cross? I know it says 25% at a time but is this too much? How long might it take? Months?

DP I was thinking I could mix it with some brand new stuff too. Half half.. or would I be wasting both?

Sometimes it is fine. but there have now been 2 occassions where I haven't tasted it at all. And I can see tiny specs floating in it now which I didn't notice when I originally got it

The Dr is ER one time was particularly interested whether it was the end of a bottle. I wish I'd asked why

It's your call. Personally I would prefer to keep the two totally separate. I always decant a small amount from my main bottle into a much smaller glass bottle, because I'm always scared I'm going to be clumsy enough to drop the whole bottle and lose the lot. So I have two small bottles - one that I've marked "new" and one I've marked "old", and then every so often I just take my 1ml from the "old" bottle.

I have Diaz-Pam to thank for refocusing my attention.  She gently nudges me in the right direction when my natural stubbornness tries to win  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: I'm good at nudging other people, but not so good at nudging myself, when my own stubborness and impatience kicks in...lol...

Ks 1994 welcome to this thread. Yes we can help with a c/o to Valium from Ativan. 25% is a good number actually. Can you update your signature so we know where you are at today?

Thanks

etown

concerned: nice work :)

Ks: sorry not much help with C/O

Human: I agree with E-Town: you have integrity and insight and you are applying it to this problem well. You are doing well

DP: I suspect no matter what I do with that last bit I'll think it is dodgy. Last night's was really strong tasting.

also..

anyone else notice Bart is now a moderator 

:laugh:

ahem.. I mean.. I think you'll be excellent Bart and good luck with traversing the whole BB-verse.

I noticed and checked the BB Team intro's and his is not there yet.

It will be interesting to read his introduction.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/about-us/meet-the-team/

Congrats Bart and you are an excellent addition to the team!

Has everyone also noticed that Bart is now....

[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]BART  THE  ZERO !!!!  CONGRATULATIONS !!![/glow][/shadow]

Who was it who was struggling to draw up small enough reductions for their mum and didn't want the hassle of dilution?

I can't remember.

Anywho I just saw someone using something that might help: micropippettes

I just did a quick google search. They can be got on amazon too. Not cheap but still... (ul = microlitre; 1 ul = 0.001 ml or 1000 ul in every 1ml)

http://www.sciencestuff.com/ctgy/L-PipeVV

Yes, Congratulations Bart on your success and I want to personally thank you for all your help in helping me find a good strategy and in answering all my questions along the way! Concerned

I do think Bart would be a good moderator as an aside.

It made me laugh at first because I was imagining him going on all and every thread as part of his role - including the ones that are getting a little wacky - and thinking of barely restrained sarcasm. But mostly Bart just gives good sensible advice and is in general very knowledgeable and a calming influence.. so.. yes.. a good mod

Who was it who was struggling to draw up small enough reductions for their mum and didn't want the hassle of dilution?

I can't remember.

Anywho I just saw someone using something that might help: micropippettes

I just did a quick google search. They can be got on amazon too. Not cheap but still... (ul = microlitre; 1 ul = 0.001 ml or 1000 ul in every 1ml)

http://www.sciencestuff.com/ctgy/L-PipeVV

Yes, my husband got disposable micro pipettes  from some local supplier

And that's what I'll be using.

I actually started a microtaper when I stabilized somewhat after my c/t

But only lasted a month because of my Zoloft taper.

Didn't know about not w/d from two meds at once back then.

J

Hi all,

I must say the only negative of valium is the lag time. When i start to feel symptons of my daily taper i hold. Sometimes its too late. Im now on day five of some bad withdrawals and waiting to stabilize. Tonight is the worst as i have the feeling in my brain that i am going crazy. I get scared when i get this symptom. :(.  Hope everyone is doing better than me right now. Ugh!

Drew

Hi Drew...I agree with you, the lag time is sneaky. I held for over a month after being surprised with ugly symptoms. I hope you start to feel better soon. That feeling of going crazy is not uncommon. I have been there too. Remember it's the drug...not you.

Thinking of you...sending you support,

Carita

Hello all, and a Happy New Year to you.  I haven't been on here for almost 2 weeks, but thanks for all the replies you gave me after my last post.  I have now been on my current tapering dose [cut and hold] for 12 weeks.  I have never seemed to stabilise, had bad withdrawal symptoms , decided to hold until after Christmas and then review the situation. To my amazement from 23rd December until yesterday 2nd January I felt really good, almost like my old self.  Managed to do some of the Christmas cooking and generally felt happy and alive.  Then BANG yesterday I woke feeling just awful again, physical sxs,joint pain, mouth ulcers etc also extreme anxiety and insomnia.  In the meantime I have decided to follow Diazepam's tablet/liquid microtaper and and getting my syringes and jars ready.  As she suggest am going to do a trial run to get used to it before actually starting.  Anyway, my question is - I felt so good the past 10 days and now feel so rotten, should I start the microtaper?  Keeping on holding obviously isn't working and why did I feel so good and then go backwards?  I feel so depressed.  I really don't want to updose if I can help it, but feel that I am going backwards.  Also I take my dose once a day at 11.00pmon the dot.  I have thought as some of you have suggestedof splitting my dose, but because I now want to microtaper am thrown into total confusion.  Can anyone give me some guidance here please - I really feel so down and can't cope with too many changes at the same time at present, i.e. microtaper + dose splitting.  Am really in a quandary.  Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Dorothy-the healing and symptoms are not linear in nature. We can feel fine for a few days and then get whacked.  One of the most frustrating things about tapering off benzos is the unpredictability.  You are making progress! 

As to your question of dose splitting it would help if the board could see what your taking and dose history on your signature.

Carita-thanks for the well wishes

Drew

Windows and waves with benzo withdrawal. You had a window. I don't know much about it because I try my hardest to keep out of benzo withdrawal. I suppose if you had a 10 day window you must be closeish to a stable dose for you current healing rate.

I do know however about microtapering from stable: and yes you want to be 'stable' - with minimal s/x - before you start or you'll just stay sick.

Hi Drew,

I have just added my signature so as you can see I have held for some time between dosage reductions.  I have had days [and they usually seem to come in a block] when I have felt somewhat better and then I have tapered again.  This time because I want to microtaper & am rather nervous about the procedure & want to as Diazepam suggests and do a 'dummy run' to get used to it before actually starting, I haven't tapered immediately after having my 'better days'.

I am wondering if I am overthinking and getting too anxious - well to be absolutely honest my mind is in a complete muddle and I am scared of how to proceed now and feel stuck.  I really need HELP.  Sorry my last post I didn't put a header in.  Am in rather a panic

Hello Dorothy,

You seem to be like me and at the same stage.  I also am wandering alone feeling helpless and scared. Why won't someone reply?  Are you going to do the tablet and then make your liquid with 1mg tablet & milk taper?

I want to do that one but like you can't understand why I have felt so bad for such a long time on this dosage then felt OK and now bad again.  I thought last week I was going to be able to do Diazepam's method this week, but wanted reassurance and no one seems to be answering. I see you are taking your dose once a day.  Today I am having difficulty in coping, worse I have felt in a long time - I am really scared as to how to proceed so am staying on this dose until I feel confident enough to make my move, whichever way that might be.  Perhaps people who might help don't come on this support group that often.  Where are those who can help us? Sorry for this rant but I feel really awful and |I see you do too and it is nice that someone replies. Sorry I haven't been able to give advice but I really need some myself.  Best of luck to you.