Completely Healed at Almost 7 months off After 7 Years of Klonopin!!

[Mo...]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Lo...]

• [Dr...]

• [gr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking in. The holidays are coming up and I hope everyone spends it in light and love. :). Life is beautiful after withdrawal. I promise!

Just checking in. The holidays are coming up and I hope everyone spends it in light and love. :). Life is beautiful after withdrawal. I promise!

Hi morechocolate,

I am just curious; did you ever feel like "this won't end", or "its like this forever, no more progress", etc? Also, I'm having some challenges with seeing my future with hopeful eyes, and seeing myself as "capable" sometimes -- its like my brain is "veiled" from feeling/believing these things. So weird to try and explain it! Anyways, did you feel like this at all?

I am feeling SO much better, and am amazed at the progress...just some things that feel a little bit stubborn to leave is all. They will leave soon! God bless you for coming back and posting updates :)

Take care,

Mrs. :smitten:

I literally cried as I read your post! I'm a mother of 4 one of which is a baby that I have to take care of all day by myself. I have three other children were all in school and I don't know how to be a part of that life for them. As you can see in my signature I've been through hell for a few months now thanks to tolerance. I just want to know it will be ok. I just crossed from klonopin to Valium and will be tapering beginning of January. I don't know how to do it... I will be tapering from 10 milligrams of Valium and I hope and pray it gets easier as I go. I am married but my husband doesn't really process this whole thing well and basically gets irritated when I talk about it and basically we will be fine when he pretend like the whole thing is just not happening. I feel so alone, I do have friends but its not the same. I really don't know how I'm going to get out of this alive! I'm praying my body can take the cuts and I can do the straight Ashton method but I'm worried I might have to slow down and this might takealmost a year or more for me.I don't know I'm just plain scared and worried! I was the same as you before finding out what was causing it. I thought I was dying I had a month long migraine, visual distortion, my hearing would be out of whack here and there, and fell into deep dark depression that I'm still battling.I was in an out of the ER, my doctor's office, neurologist, optometrist and on and on. Ihad CAT scans, MRIs, spinal tap, and I don't even know how much blood drawn... Finally I committed myself thinking I was crazy.they detoxed me in 5 days then it all came clear. Now I've just been trying to stabilize, educate, and get ready to taper... I just wish I could be over now! I even fear that my marriage won't make it through. 4 months ago I had such a normal happy life until all broke loose... I feel like I have been stolen from my children and family and I feel like they have been taken from me because I feel nothing these days. Anyways your post did give me he tiny smile as I cried.

Morechocolate,im so glad for you!!You must be so over the moon happy to be feeling better!You mentioned dizziness was your worst symptom,and as that is also mine,what month did it completely stop?Also did you get weird adrenaline rushes with anxiety?Thanks!

Hi morechocolate,

I am just curious; did you ever feel like "this won't end", or "its like this forever, no more progress", etc? Also, I'm having some challenges with seeing my future with hopeful eyes, and seeing myself as "capable" sometimes -- its like my brain is "veiled" from feeling/believing these things. So weird to try and explain it! Anyways, did you feel like this at all?

I am feeling SO much better, and am amazed at the progress...just some things that feel a little bit stubborn to leave is all. They will leave soon! God bless you for coming back and posting updates :)

Hi there. I'm sorry you are suffering with this. This was absolutely one of my major symptoms! I was terrified of the future! I was convinced that I would never get better and my life was over. Withdrawal really changes the chemistry in our brains. That will completely go away! You will see the light again. :). Keep moving forward.

Take care,

Hi morechocolate,

Take care,

Hi there. I'm sorry you are suffering with this. This was absolutely one of my major symptoms! I was terrified of the future! I was convinced that I would never get better and my life was over. Withdrawal really changes the chemistry in our brains. That will completely go away! You will see the light again. :). Keep moving forward.

:smitten: :smitten: (((((Morechocolate))))) :smitten: :smitten:

I hope you read these often enough that you will get this response...I have the same exact timing as you...7 years of Klonopin.  I am in the process of starting to get off but I wanted to look at your past posts to see how you stopped the benzo and what steps you took...if you had to take breaks...what your symptoms were, etc but I cannot find anything under the old name that you used.  Would you be willing to give me a quick recap?  I have three children, my oldest is autistic and I wish they didn't have to watch me go through this.  What did you do with them while you went through this withdrawal?  I will be so happy to be in the same place as you at 7 months....that would be amazing....

I literally cried as I read your post! I'm a mother of 4 one of which is a baby that I have to take care of all day by myself. I have three other children were all in school and I don't know how to be a part of that life for them. As you can see in my signature I've been through hell for a few months now thanks to tolerance. I just want to know it will be ok. I just crossed from klonopin to Valium and will be tapering beginning of January. I don't know how to do it... I will be tapering from 10 milligrams of Valium and I hope and pray it gets easier as I go. I am married but my husband doesn't really process this whole thing well and basically gets irritated when I talk about it and basically we will be fine when he pretend like the whole thing is just not happening. I feel so alone, I do have friends but its not the same. I really don't know how I'm going to get out of this alive! I'm praying my body can take the cuts and I can do the straight Ashton method but I'm worried I might have to slow down and this might takealmost a year or more for me.I don't know I'm just plain scared and worried! I was the same as you before finding out what was causing it. I thought I was dying I had a month long migraine, visual distortion, my hearing would be out of whack here and there, and fell into deep dark depression that I'm still battling.I was in an out of the ER, my doctor's office, neurologist, optometrist and on and on. Ihad CAT scans, MRIs, spinal tap, and I don't even know how much blood drawn... Finally I committed myself thinking I was crazy.they detoxed me in 5 days then it all came clear. Now I've just been trying to stabilize, educate, and get ready to taper... I just wish I could be over now! I even fear that my marriage won't make it through. 4 months ago I had such a normal happy life until all broke loose... I feel like I have been stolen from my children and family and I feel like they have been taken from me because I feel nothing these days. Anyways your post did give me he tiny smile as I cried.

I hope you are ok, sweetie.  Giving you big hugs for toughing it out.  You are incredibly brave and I wish you the best!

:smitten:

Thank you for the success story.  I am a single mom of two boys also.  It has been simply horrific and long lasting (I am protracted at this point).  The healing phase I am in now is super intense.  The fear is through the roof and I'm having trouble leaving the house.  Luckily I have a good amount of support but I still worry constantly about whether my kids are getting what they need and fear getting even worse and less functional.

It's so depressing and scary to be so needy and low functioning.  So happy for you morechocolate!

Karen

I re read your success story this morning MoreChocolate. I have it copied and saved to my computer. I always return to it to get inspiration.

Thank you my dear and have Happy Holidays!  :smitten:

This may sound absurd after reading your story but I began taking Ambien one year ago.  After month or so at the lowest dosage I began suffering severe confusion and memory loss.  A well meaning but poorly informed friend (a pharmacist no less) suggested I start lorazepam 0.5mg nitely instead and it worked beautifully ... Til the afternoon panic attacks started and I finally linked them to lorazepam withdrawal 13 to 15 hours after taking it.  I tried to stop cold turkey followed by 2 nites of hell!  A psychopharmacologist was recommended to me and I snapped up the bait and he put me on klonopin  0.5mg with tapering for 6 months... From what I read diazepam would have been the wiser choice.  At any rate I went from June to November and tapered from 0.5 to 0.0625mg nitely and STILL felt the effects.. Waking, anxiety, headaches, lack of joy, etc.  now though I am left with residual insomnia after 6 weeks.  And an actual phobia about going to bed.  I wake after 1 to 3 hours and if I get up I am unable to lie back down even with getting up and down multiple times.  Did you experience this ?  I am soooo tempted to take even half a lorazepam 0.5 just to get some real rest for one nite a week.  I have a low grade sinus infection with dry burning stuffy nose and that is what triggers my waking but can't get past it because of lack of sleep. 

Kman,Hang in there,the sleep problem did go away for me,but it took about 5 months.I also was tempted to take just a small dose of Lorazapam to get some sleep,but I didn't,because it will just prolong all the awful symptoms much longer.I just wanted to tell you that the sleep now is so much better and restful without those dang benzos!I only awaken with anxiety,and have a hard time sleeping only rarely now,where before it was sooo bad.Stay gritty,and hang tough!

• 5 weeks later...
I have been off klonopin since last March. I am now tapering off valium. I feel so awful most of the time. Does this ever get better?I am praying that I will feel better once I am completely off benzos, but I begin to think I will need to take them forever. Do you think the awful feelings I  live with are still from klonopin or it is from the valium taper? Help please.Hope, is there any?

Freetodance,Yes,you will feel better,but gosh you are off Klonipin and now tapering off Valium?Thats a lot of benzos in your system,and you are going to have withdrawal symptoms for awhile.Its so great you are off the Klonipin,and you will get through the Valium taper too.You should be very proud of how far you have come,some of us were on one benzo,but you are trying to stop two!I am over 9 months off Lorazapam and I am still having withdrawal symptoms.So don't give up,you will have withdrawal symptoms,sometimes for months while tapering and after being off them.It does get better,I cant believe how much worse I was just a couple of months ago,so stay gritty,and don't give up!

I have been off klonopin since last March. I am now tapering off valium. I feel so awful most of the time. Does this ever get better?I am praying that I will feel better once I am completely off benzos, but I begin to think I will need to take them forever. Do you think the awful feelings I  live with are still from klonopin or it is from the valium taper? Help please.Hope, is there any?

Hi FtD,

I surely feel for you, buddy! I am no doctor, but gauging from my own personal experiences and reading of the experiences of many buddies on this site, I have no doubt in my mind that what you are experiencing now is a combination of both klonopin and valium withdrawal. Unfortunately, it can be a longer healing process for some people. Not to worry, FtD, because you WILL heal 100% again :)

There is a support group specifically for those who have previously, or are currently, tapering from klonopin, found here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=57791.10530 Likewise, there is also one for valium as well, found here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96753.11050 I am certain that between these two wonderful groups of people, you will be able to find valuable information, support, and relateability for the remainder of your taper and post-withdrawal experiences :) This section is the "Success Story" section, and as such many of the buddies who have posted their success stories are now out living life again! So there isn't as much 'chat' going on here as the "support group" section ;)

Feel better soon, FtD ~ you have found a wonderful website for support :) Feel free to PM me anytime, and God bless you on the remainder of your taper & post-withdrawal experience!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone. I apologize for not coming on here to answer any questions or personal messages. I have been "laying low" for awhile. I will be coming to update my story shortly. I hope everyone is hanging in there and leaning on each other for support.  :smitten:

Hi everyone. I apologize for not coming on here to answer any questions or personal messages. I have been "laying low" for awhile. I will be coming to update my story shortly. I hope everyone is hanging in there and leaning on each other for support.  :smitten:

Hi MoreChocolate! I can't wait to read the update  :smitten:

Ok, so here's an update for everyone.  :D

First of all, when I said I was completely healed at 7 months off, I was delusional.  :idiot:  I'm sure this comes as no surprise to many. A few months after writing my success story, I started having waves again. Some of them were really bad and lasted for weeks at times! It was very discouraging! Symptoms that continued to come back were vertigo, really bad blurred vision, anxiety, feelings of fear and doom, gut issues, insomnia, feeling unsteady on my feet and DP/DR.

At first, the waves happened a lot and for long periods, then they died down. I would get a wave for a couple days and then be fine for a month or more. The major difference between these waves and earlier ones? I was able to cope with them. I was functioning, working full time, and raising my kids on my own. I didn't miss out on anything. I also didn't feel like I was on another planet anymore! I just had annoying symptoms here and there.

Where am I now? I am 22 months off and the waves are pretty much gone. I occasionally have a few hours of vertigo every so often, but everything else is gone. I want people to understand that it's not withdrawal that lasts this long. However, it does take a long time for our brains to heal. As the brain heals, symptoms happen, but they are more manageable. It truly becomes mind over matter.

I am in a strange way, grateful for what I went through because it has led me to where I am today. I am stronger, wiser and humble. I am in the process of starting my own private Counselling service with a focus on anxiety, depression, and supporting people weaning off their meds. I have worked in mental health and addictions and this experience has allowed me to finally take my education and experience, and offer my own services. I am so grateful for that.

So, for those still suffering, yes it's going to take some time for your brain to heal, but it will.  :thumbsup:

Hi more chocolate. I'm so glad to hear about your healing, and thank you for being so honest and open about it. I'm also thrilled that you will be working in this field because you will be so compassionate and understanding having been through what you have. I also wanted to ask how many months off were you when the anxiety and DP/DR left?

I am 11 months off and have been doing very well, and then bam, anxiety, shaky and fog again. It can be discouraging, but I believe I will be completely well again. Just curious when it happened for you. Thank so much for sharing your story.

All my best to you

Love Jackie :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for the update MC. You weren't delusional at all. I think we all have thought we were healed only to get slammed again. This is just a really strange roller coaster we're on. :D I've accepted that at the pace I'm healing it will probably be between 1-2 years or more for me as well. I'm okay with it. It seems to be the norm.

Your story inspires me because I was on klon for anxiety and panic too. The wonderful part of this is we learn it does go away without the drugs. I'm glad you are on your way to healing and will be helping others with counseling. I also work in mental health and plan on counseling in some way in the future when I feel better.

Take care.