Completely Healed at Almost 7 months off After 7 Years of Klonopin!!

[Mo...]

Congrats on your success- I can so relate to your last year on the drug. I still have medical bills from trying to find out what was wrong with me. Then realizing it was the drug that was supposed to be helping me. Peace to you.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Lo...]

• [Dr...]

• [gr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Thank you all so much for your great success stories. They are so encouraging. I am now 4 and 1/2 month since I quite and I am starting to feel better. I am in a good window right now but I am still not really "me". I have been a long term, 30 years benzo. I read this post and it is as if I wrote it my self; except for I'm a man. I so appreciate your writing what happened to you.

Two questions to anyone that can answer them.

1. Is there a general rule as to the amount of time to get over this horrible withdrawal? Do people by in large feel better in the 4, 5, 6, 12 months.? I know everyone is different but I was wondering is there a more common theme?

2. How do you know if you are getting better? To me it seems that my windows come more and the waves less. Is that a sign of  bettering condition or is it the pick of the draw and things could get worst?

Any help would be appreciated.

Life4me :thumbsup:

Hi life4me,

there  has been a study by dr. Pittman in collaboration with BB. it stated, the average

recovery time was 14 months. of course there are people who took less and some

took much longer.

i have noticed a lot of people get set backs around 9 months sometimes, including my self,

but don't be discouraged if it does happen. its quite normal.

2 steps forward sometimes and then 1 step back.

the main thing is , we will get there in the end. all the best. :)

p.s. windows are a good sign , means your gabaas are coming back.

Oh how I so want to be where you are, I have just started this journey and I am sooooo scared but I cant turn back. I have spent so much $$$$ on drs dx me with everything except Clonazepam interdosing.

so I am trying to be encouraged and stay focused (eye of the Tiger) Jesus has a lot on His plate with me

Oh how I so want to be where you are, I have just started this journey and I am sooooo scared but I cant turn back. I have spent so much $$$$ on drs dx me with everything except Clonazepam interdosing.

so I am trying to be encouraged and stay focused (eye of the Tiger) Jesus has a lot on His plate with me

Lainey, I often admire the folks who are so far along in their tapers and kinda know what to expect.  You're at the beginning of yours and I haven't started mine yet.  I think Jesus has a lot on his hands with all of us  :)

I felt compelled to say the more it scares you the worse it will be. So much of this is mental. Overcoming the battle means giving up fear and just living in the moment. It's like carrying an umbrella when there's no rain.

I felt compelled to say the more it scares you the worse it will be. So much of this is mental. Overcoming the battle means giving up fear and just living in the moment. It's like carrying an umbrella when there's no rain.

It's like carrying an umbrella when there's no rain.

Good morning abirdonawire, Reading this this morning was just what I needed to hear. I will soon be making the big jump from Valium and the past couple of days the fear has really been strong. Last night was the first night in a long time a didn't sleep from 11:30 on.

I was even trying to figure out a different way to time out my jump date due to a big meeting I have March 19TH. I was fearing how I will cope with taking no more drug. It was like a record skipping in my brain all night to the point of I was sick of it.

I especially like the carrying an umbrella when there is no rain. That is me right now. I need to get a grip on this because I know how this can snowball. Thank you for posting this and bringing me back in reality. I am curious how you felt when you finished your taper?

Thank you again

Love Jackie :smitten: :smitten:

It's like carrying an umbrella when there's no rain.

Good morning abirdonawire, Reading this this morning was just what I needed to hear. I will soon be making the big jump from Valium and the past couple of days the fear has really been strong. Last night was the first night in a long time a didn't sleep from 11:30 on.

I was even trying to figure out a different way to time out my jump date due to a big meeting I have March 19TH. I was fearing how I will cope with taking no more drug. It was like a record skipping in my brain all night to the point of I was sick of it.

I especially like the carrying an umbrella when there is no rain. That is me right now. I need to get a grip on this because I know how this can snowball. Thank you for posting this and bringing me back in reality. I am curious how you felt when you finished your taper?

Thank you again

Love Jackie :smitten: :smitten:

My first withdrawal attempt failed miserably and in all honesty it was due in part to come to sites like this. I read "horror story" after horror story and got myself so worked up I ended up with every symptom under the sun. I had to avoid coming here and other sites. I was far too impressionable. It is just now over a year out I can come here and feel totally at ease with what I read. I struggle with describing it because I don't want anyone to get the impression that I think withdrawal is all in our minds- I don't believe that but I do believe that our fear of what may or may not happen increases the symptoms to the point that yes it feels like hell. I know when we are in it it is hard to realize that we are making it worse with our fears.

I was not well when I finished my taper, but I would not describe it as being in hell. I just needed a lot of support and to take really good care of myself. And I did. Slowly, slowly the symptoms vanished. Time, time, time, it all goes away. There is no way to avoid some of the withdrawal symptoms but we do have some control over how bad it truly gets. I can't stress this enough. If I worried and obsessed I was going to get a brain zap- I ended up with one. It is a horrible cycle. I know people need support but I would avoid reading symptoms of others withdrawals until you are in the clear. Let this be your journey, don't take anyone else's.

Thank you abirdonawire, I agree. And yes that is what I started doing, reading how others felt at so many months off.

Thanks again

Love Jackie :smitten:

Hi morechocolate,

I finally got the courage to read your success story after you posted on a string I wrote last week.  Thank you for doing that.  I tend to despair and think there's no hope that all of this depression and anxiety is a result of 12 years of benzos and now 20 or so months of tapering.  Maybe things like my akathesia and sweating are from the taper but not the things that really scare me like my anxiety and depression and loneliness.  It becomes a deep feeling of hopelessness and I just barely hang on to that glimmer of hope that it is the benzo's and someday I'll be happy and free.  One of the biggest problems I think is that my current psychiatrist says, "no.  You had anxiety and depression before and so the benzo's aren't causing this and once your finished with the taper you will need ECT and different antidepressants."  It really takes away your confidence and hope and even the strength you need to keep the taper going!  I just want to cry all the time because I've worked really hard at this and I'm almost done!

So, your success story DOES mean so much to me.  I do of course find all kinds of reasons why I'm different and probably won't have the success you had (God I want it so badly.  It's why I started the tapering!). The biggest two differences I see are that I am currently on two other meds (cymbalta for depression and propranolol as a beta blocker). I hope they don't interfere with my recovery because I just can't taper them now too.  I wanted to start feeling the healing from the benzo's withdrawal so that I could then get off of them too!!  I hope that's what happens.  The other difference is that you got off nicotine first.  I still chew 2mg Nicorette as a result of quitting the bad smoking habit years ago.  I just can't seem to tackle getting off this too now.  I know that sounds "weak" to a lot of people, but it's the one thing that gives me some solace still.  And it is a craving in the midst of all this hell.

I'd love to hear from you if you get a chance some day.  I saw that you're a busy single mom so I understand if it's hard to post a reply.  But, you are living the success I had believed in and so much hoped for when I started this taper after 12 years of benzo's and feeling like they must be causing me so much depression and anxiety in my life.  No doctor would listen to me, so I had to just take the chance and do it myself. 

Thanks again for posting!

Very best,

John

• 1 month later...
I apologize for not responding to the last several posts. I normally get an email when someone posts on here, but I didn't get one. :(. I am now 10 months off and still doing great. The reason I went on benzos was for terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I don't have that anymore. :) Keep going and you will come out the other side just as I did. Sending my love to everyone still suffering.

Thanks Morechocolate.  It's amazing how just a short post like yours just now lifts my spirits.  You don't even say, "maybe..."  I hope you're right!!!  I am so looing forward to feeling better.

Very best to you!!

Duesie

Thanks Morechocolate.  It's amazing how just a short post like yours just now lifts my spirits.  You don't even say, "maybe..."  I hope you're right!!!  I am so looing forward to feeling better.

Very best to you!!

Duesie

I am right. :)

Yep, I agree Morechocolate. Klonocide gave me on and off depression and anxiety from tolerance withdrawal for many years and I never knew that's what was causing it. And withdrawal gave me depression from hell that I never want to feel again in my life. Hang in there Duesie, your time of feeling good is coming soon !!

Wow, this is an amazing thing, not short of a miracle. I'm so happy to read your post MC and know that maybe there is hope somewhere down the road for me and the others stuck in the same loop of daily despair you were in. I'm going to sign out now with this thread being the only one I have read today instead of running across one that will scare me. Be well everyone :smitten:

Yep, I agree Morechocolate. Klonocide gave me on and off depression and anxiety from tolerance withdrawal for many years and I never knew that's what was causing it. And withdrawal gave me depression from hell that I never want to feel again in my life. Hang in there Duesie, your time of feeling good is coming soon !!

Thanks ama732.  I'm glad to hear you're still doing ok.  I hope I'll start to feel better even before I have to start tapering the cymbalta when the benzos are done.  I hadn't counted on the cymbalta being trouble as well.  I hope it's not because I'm at 0.5mgs of the Valium and really looking forward to starting the healing!!!

Very inspiring.  Thank you.

Chazin your taper schedule does sound hellish.  I hope you're hanging in there.  Good luck.

MoreChocolate...I have read your success story several times...because I desperately want to believe that healing by 12 months is possible. I am approaching 5 months and after 3 days in a row of complete windows, sunbreaks and improvement of s/x I want to think that at least I might be emerging from acute. The months 2 1/2-4 were excruciating. I know I may be overly optimistic. I was just wondering how you are doing now at even a few more months out. I hope you still check in from time to time as your story is so encouraging and inspirational.

.....Hope your healing is complete and you are about your life with your boys...happily being a mom and a healthy happy person....coop

• 5 weeks later...
[18...]
I LOVE YOUR STORY, I READ IT EVERYDAY.. I GET SO EMOTIONAL WHEN I READ WHAT YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH.. I TOO AM FROM CANADA..

[18...]
DID YOU GO THROUGH STAGES OF CRYING AND ANGER BEFORE YOU HEALED..I KNOW YOU CRIED , BUT DIDN'T SEE ANGER.. AND DID ANY FOODS BOTHER YOU..?

• 1 month later...