Remeron HELPS benzo withdrawal.

[...]

Small doses of remeron like 3.75 or 7.5 hit within 30 minutes.  At that level it is only a antihistamine and makes me sleepy right away.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bu...]

• [pa...]

• [Sm...]

• [Th...]

I was going to try Buspar. I asked my Doc for it and he wants to give me Lexapro. I tried Lexapro for a few days  ( pre taper) and had weird 'violent images in my mind. It was creepy. But then I felt great. Like a super xanax . Calm fine. But everyday I would just see a gory image scene in my head for the first half of the day. Then Poof, feel totally calm and great. I was on 10mg, the starting dose.

I want to try something else, that's why the Buspar seemed good. But maybe Remeron is the ticket?

I have agorapoboia from Xanax WD and get anxious. Dose remeron really help? I just want something to help me try and leave the house without being so uptight and nervous. Just something to help me rotate back to the 'normal' world. And then I want to taper off of that too.

I just need to get my feet wet first again. I need help with that first little push....

Any ideas?

Thanks all!

I heard remeron has a short tolerance life?

...tolerance life?

According to Crazy Meds it has a short "poop out" rate ( you reach tolerance on it pretty quickly.)

Yes, for some users, it loses its efficacy as an anxiolytic/depressant, bit will usually continue to be an effective sleep aid.  Most, if not all, AD's eventually lose their efficacy.

I was concerned about this initially, but I found many remeron users still were benefitting from it as an anxiolytic/AD for as much as 5 years.  I took it for almost 3 years, and never experienced any decouline in its effects.

IMO opinion, you should concentrate on the potential benefits of the med, rather than worrying over potential shortcomings.  JMHO.

I was put on Remron 3 wks ago. I have never been on an Anti-d before..but, after waking up day in and day out in a sheer panic, along, with suicidal thoughts. I was glad to be given something!

I am 80 days off of Klono and the last 30 days have been sheer hell on earth.

I consider this med as my answer to prayer.

15mg of Remron

I was put on Remron 3 wks ago. I have never been on an Anti-d before..but, after waking up day in and day out in a sheer panic, along, with suicidal thoughts. I was glad to be given something!

I am 80 days off of Klono and the last 30 days have been sheer hell on earth.

I consider this med as my answer to prayer.

15mg of Remron

It was truly a life-saver for me!

I just wanted to say that I am on 22.5 Mgs a day of remeron.

I was always concerned to try an increased dose but honestly I have tried so many med and this one is great.

I just cut my dose of k from .5 Mgs a day to .25 a day and survived.

I feel a bit dopy and slightly disconnected on it but I'll certainly take that over sever anxiety, panic and horrible depression.

I doesn't hugely help with the physical sx of wd but at least calms the anxiety enough that I can survive through it

I thought I would put my 2 cents in on Remoron, as I have taken it pre and post benzo problems/ taper. Due to depression, anxiety and insomnia being a recurring theme throughout my life I had around or over 3/4 years experience on Remoron prior to hitting valium addiction.

It certainly helped with sleep initially however when I was suffering from Graves' disease (hyperthyroidism) it did very little with the hyper vigilance side effect of the disease. I would have nights - particularly around menstruation where I would have NO sleep whatsoever - saying that I was on 45mgs which is a high dose, and I only read about the sedating effects being better at a lower dose when I choose to C/T off the drug January this year. I would take temazepam to help with sleep during that time but fear that this has led to kindling now that I am on my valium taper. I really had no idea about any of these things at the time, I had lost 15 kgs due to graves (I think that's about 36pounds) and I was only 56kgs at 5f8 (120ish pounds) so the weight gain issue was never a concern for me, rather a benefit. I also lost a baby due to the disease (at 11 weeks pregnant) and that certainly added to my anxiety and depression at the time.

I had been in remission from Graves since early 2012 and was going to the gym - happily putting on weight as it was mainly muscle. Even though I had an operation to remove CIN3 in my cervix (second time I had this diagnosis and operation) so they decided to remove my whole cervix to prevent any future recurrence. I was told that I would no longer be able to have children. I already had 2 and had returned to work when they started primary school so I just felt blessed that my original opp in 2000 had left enough of a cervix for me to carry my first 2 angels. During the opp in 2012 (June) they removed my marina as I thought pregnancy no longer was an issue for me...... 3 months later however I found myself pregnant. There were many complications due to the no cervix but I am proud to say that I have a beautiful baby boy who is now 16 months old.

I did put on a tonne of weight for me (I was around 150pound - I know that's not overweight but I'm used to being small if not tiny) and although tall i do have a very small frame. I am a couple of years younger than Kate moss and must admit I was glad as a young lady when she became in as I too have always been waif like. I dieted and excersized like crazy to get back to the size 4 I wanted to be but found on remoron very little weight dropped off. I was crazy hungry all the time so in Jan this year decided to C/T off the stuff. It did work with weight loss and I didn't have too much withdrawals except a little insomnia which I used as an excuse to get some valium from my dr. I had always seen valium as a 'wonder drug' and had often thought that if I could only use that as my anti-depressant life would be peachy (how little I knew).

When I made my bad choices this year and saw the Val's running out I put myself back on 22.5mgs of  remoron as I thought it might help with the stopping of benzo's. Unfortunately my body was too far gone by then. An ER visit after C/T of valium got me on my current taper and I have to say that I only stabilised on that taper 4 weeks after reinstating my Remoron. I feel that this was when the Remoron started to kick in with its anti depressant anti anxiety properties. Yes I do think it helped with the withdrawals immensely. I wish I hadn't asked my doc if I should increase my dose back to 45mgs as I had great relief at 22.5 and now that I'm further into my taper, sleep really is an issue. But when I asked my GP, weight loss, anxiety and depression were the most crippling of my side effects so I wanted to make the most of the higher doses easing these issues. After reading this thread I am scared to try and reduce during the taper in case I need the anti-depressant/ anxiety properties of the drug that my body has become adapted to on the higher dose, but would love to be able to benefit from the sedating qualities of the lower dose. I know this is a bit of an epic. But having had a lot of experience with remoron (we call it mirtazipine or avanza here so sorry if I keep mis-spelling it) I thought I would share my story.

I would also like to ask if any others who have taken a high daily dose have managed to cut down during a taper without any ill effects?

Thanks everyone for your info, and giving me a place where I can talk honestly and openly. It really helps with my journey  :)

• 3 weeks later...
were you on the remeron while you were pregnant or did you come off of everything? I am currently only taking 7.5mg for sleep, but, we are going to try to start for baby #2. my whole reason for coming off the benzos. i am going thru hell and only 19 days off. so, i know i need to wait it out. the anxiety is awful! i didn't know what a therapeutic dose to kick the anxiety would be?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I took the remoron during pregnancy, it is a category B whilst most ADs are category Cs. My baby boy is healthy and thriving. (15kgs or 36lb at 17 months). He's bigger than half the 3 year olds at playgroups lol!

I was advised that taking an anti-depressant especially one of category B was far better for pregnancy and the baby than suffering from anxiety and depression during pregnancy.

I have always felt a bit hormonally challenged (and as I have Graves' disease that is an actual fact). I suffer quite badly during pre-menstruation and am a bit of a lunatic when I'm pregnant. I get OCD, sleeping disorders and completely change in temperament - I am just very lucky to not ever have suffered post partum depression as from what I have read that is pure hell. My heart goes out to any who have suffered it.

I still stand by my conviction that remeron is helping with my benzo taper, it has also helped with my appetite - my weight gain is unfortunately minimal currently because of the graves. When I go into remission or the meds start to work I will have to resist going off remeron, being used to being skinny means I get really anxious when I start putting on weight. I have to give up on this vanity though, as being happy and healthy is far more important than being skinny but anxious. I could also help by eating less chocolate. I plan on not even attempting to go off remeron until 18 months post taper. But I may try to taper down to a lower dose.

With regards to the poop out rate. I think I can agree here. I no longer get much benefit after the 6 month part but after reading this thread for the second time I will not risk an increase in benzo WD symptoms as they are so incredibly brutal.

Hi Bad choices,

I was curious about your post regarding Remeron and its class since from recollection I always thought it was a class C. From basic google search:

Brand names: Remeron, Remeronsoltab

Molar mass: 265.35 g/mol

Pregnancy risk: Category C (Risk cannot be ruled out)

May treat: Major depression, Depressive Disorder

Drug classes: Antidepressant, Antiemetic

But perhaps there's something I'm missing? Good luck to you.

It was a dr who told me it was category B - this is why I changed from Prothiadon to remeron in the first place - I unfortunately miscarried at 11 weeks then but that was more health related than anything else.

There's me again believing a dr (this was in 2010) maybe it has changed, but I never looked it up because of the verbal advice I received.

It will never cease to amaze me how stupid I am when it comes to listening to dr's advice - looks like I'll never learn. Thanks for filling me in though.

My breeding days are over now though, I have 3 gorgeous children and a 4 bedroom house. We do have 2 cars but not a 7 seater which I would need to get if I had another.

We really miss my income as my kids go to private schools and do a mountain of extra curricular activities - another child would mean more years without my income. I was lucky enough with my first 2 to be able to care for them until they reached grade school, but with 3 i will probably start looking for a job when he's 2-3. They are only little once and I selfishly like to enjoy that time with them. I know a lot of people aren't financially able to, and we certainly are no longer in the position that I will be able to get my Bub to primary school this time, but I wanted to wait until at least 2 as I don't think children enjoy childcare until after that age, after then they are more social and I think they get more out of it.

Bad choices,

You are certainly NOT stupid. You believed the word of a doctor, just like I did when I was 20 and had mild hyperthyroidism. I mentioned I had a bit of anxiety and was prescribed 1 mg of Klonopin and 10 mg of Lexapro without him giving the anti-thyroid medication a chance to work. I was young, uninformed, and now my health is in shambles to put it euphemistically.

I'm sorry about your hardships and wish you luck and happiness with your family.

• 4 years later...
I'm now 14 months of K and thinking of giving Remeron a try. I have been suffering for a long time with what seems to be symptoms of anger and postpartum OCD and depression. I'm wondering if it would help me at all.

I don’t know, I’m terrified of meds.  Do you have a “trusted” doc to help you?  I think in BWD we sometimes have to make very difficult decisions about meds.

Hoping you feel better soon!

SaraSue  :smitten:

I tried Remeron. did not help at all. Frankly, I no longer believe in ADs, especially the SSRIs. This is a personal opinion, but I think they were only created to make a lot of money. Some of the older tricyclics seem to work a lot better but they have risks and side effects as well.The fewer drugs I take, the better.

Personally I would stay away from Remeron. The only reason I went on it was from pure desperation. When I went on it was just after getting off CT. The reason I went on it was to help with sleep. I would go days without sleeping then the 3rd day or so pout of complete exhaustion I’d sleep on the 4th day. The remeron did help initially but 6 weeks into it, it became toxic every time I’d take a dose. What I didn’t know was that I was totally sensitized to mostly any meds.

You are over a year off. I’d hang tight for another 6 months and re-eval.

I also had the most horrific waves of depression anyone could imagine. The problem here is that this journey is not easy and can take a shit load of time for things to begin normalizing. I always wondered

If I never would have taken the Rem those 5 months, would I have began to sleep and feel better sooner? Don’t know but for the little short relief and the double whammy coming off it, was not worth it. Also I never got on a higher dose than like 3.5 mg. Then tapered to down to 1.5 then came off.

Knowing what I know now, I would not go there, because after 5.5 years off, I know it gets better without all that crap.

Ive been off benzos for some time and was put on remeron 4 years ago to help with sleep. Im in the process of tapering off it. Im curretnly at 3.75 and it is without a doubt the most miserable taper I have ever endured. At the lower dose it is very sedating and makes me feel like crap. I wake up every morning feeling like warmed over dog poop and feel that way much of the day. A terrible drug to get off of. Way worse than my benzo taper

Ive been off benzos for some time and was put on remeron 4 years ago to help with sleep. Im in the process of tapering off it. Im curretnly at 3.75 and it is without a doubt the most miserable taper I have ever endured. At the lower dose it is very sedating and makes me feel like crap. I wake up every morning feeling like warmed over dog poop and feel that way much of the day. A terrible drug to get off of. Way worse than my benzo taper

Worse than benzo? I cant imagine something worse than benzo.

For me mirtazapine 10000 times worst than benzos, it messes with multiple receptors while benzo messes only gaba receptors. Some here i read even had to return to benzos to mitigate mirtazapine withdrawal, me included.

All I can say is that getting off Xanax via cross over to Valium was way easier and didn’t make me feel as bad as getting off mirtazapine. I’m now down to 3.75 and thinking of cutting the umbilical thinking in doing I don’t think I could feel any worse. I really want this crap out of my system.