Remeron HELPS benzo withdrawal.

[...]

In that case I must be one of the really unlucky ones with Remeron.  I am finding w/ds as bad as if not at times worse than Benzo w/d.

Typical symptoms still experiencing at 7 weeks off:

Insomnia

Massive panic attacks

Anxiety/ agitation

Depression

Tingling limbs

Brain zaps

Headaches

Feeling like crap

It is more or less constant although I had a few better days last week but it came back with a vengeance with no end in sight.

I can't tell you how much I regret ever going on this drug.

Angel

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bu...]

• [pa...]

• [Sm...]

• [Th...]

In that case I must be one of the really unlucky ones with Remeron.  I am finding w/ds as bad as if not at times worse than Benzo w/d.

Typical symptoms still experiencing at 7 weeks off:

Insomnia

Massive panic attacks

Anxiety/ agitation

Depression

Tingling limbs

Brain zaps

Headaches

Feeling like crap

It is more or less constant although I had a few better days last week but it came back with a vengeance with no end in sight.

I can't tell you how much I regret ever going on this drug.

Angel

When I went off Remeron the first couple times, it was pretty bad, but only lasted 2, maybe 3 weeks. There was some irritable gut and psychological irritability, but other than that I don't think it was really that bad,nowhere near as bad as benzo w/d. Plus those times, I was in benzo w/d too, so that made it a lot worse and amplified the effects.

Hi :)

Sorry to hear Angel that the remeron w/d has been so difficult for you.

In my own case, there were 3 times I tried a remeron taper from a small dosage.

The first time, I was nearly successful until my father's death.

The second time was when benzo tolerance hit. I had no way to know which med it was. I tried stopping the remeron first and that just made things worse.

The third time was post valium taper. I still was in some benzo w/d plus an up and down sleep schedule at work.

In each case, it was difficult for me to discontinue remeron but there were so many life factors affecting it. I am hoping that once my work schedule improves, I can then attempt a fourth taper without outside static!

Best to you and I hope that your coming weeks will improve :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been prescribed Mirtazapine to help with my taper but I am scared of bad side effects and the inevitable withdrawal.

Angel, I suspect most of your pain was benzo withdrawal and yet could be the AD also.

I hear so many conflicting stories, some say withdrawal was not anywhere near as bad as benzo withdrawal, others say it is total Hell.

What if I took this and it did not help my anxiety? Then I would be stuck on another drug to taper.  :-\

Where does it end?

After unsuccessful (or worse) experiences with xanax, zoloft, diazepam, buspar, lorazepam, geodon, and probably some others that I don't even remember, I was prescribed remeron for my severe anxiety and sleep problems.  It relieved my sleep problems immediately, and after about 2 weeks, relieved my anxiety. 

I took 22.5-30 mg/day for about 3 years...no significant side fx.  When I stopped, I did a 2 week taper (15 mg for a week, 7.5 mg for a week, then off) no WD sxs at all.  I feel like I could have actually CT'd, but chose to err on the side of caution.

Still use very small doses (3.75 mg) on rare occasions for sleep problems.

I have been prescribed Mirtazapine to help with my taper but I am scared of bad side effects and the inevitable withdrawal.

Angel, I suspect most of your pain was benzo withdrawal and yet could be the AD also.

I hear so many conflicting stories, some say withdrawal was not anywhere near as bad as benzo withdrawal, others say it is total Hell.

What if I took this and it did not help my anxiety? Then I would be stuck on another drug to taper.  :-\

Where does it end?

It ends when you start tapering off I guess. Im not making progress either though.

After unsuccessful (or worse) experiences with xanax, zoloft, diazepam, buspar, lorazepam, geodon, and probably some others that I don't even remember, I was prescribed remeron for my severe anxiety and sleep problems.  It relieved my sleep problems immediately, and after about 2 weeks, relieved my anxiety. 

I took 22.5-30 mg/day for about 3 years...no significant side fx.  When I stopped, I did a 2 week taper (15 mg for a week, 7.5 mg for a week, then off) no WD sxs at all.  I feel like I could have actually CT'd, but chose to err on the side of caution.

Just out of interest what made you choose to taper remeron while you were still tapering the benzos?

Just out of interest what made you choose to taper remeron while you were still tapering the benzos?

At the time I stopped Remeron, I was not tapering my diazepam.  I was taking 9mg diazepam and 22.5 mg Remeron daily.

I originally started these meds for a severe anxiety disorder just , but my anxiety seemed to have gone into remission.  I had long since became completely tolerant to the diazepam, and knew it had no therapeutic effect, so I decided to the Remeron and see how it went.

I (re)started my diazepam a year later.

[b6...]
My Dr. prescribed 7.5 mg. remeron yesterday....I took half of that (3.75) last night and slept good.  A little drowsy in the morning, but as day is wearing on feel less anxiety than usual.  I like it.

Thanks, Parker, for coming back to post that interesting and helpful info.

I've had a very hard time eating adequately due to lots of gastric pain and a bit of resulting paranoia towards foods because of the constant pain. But I've been checked out thoroughly and odds are that the GI pain is just a benzo issue.

Does the Remeron help reduce gut tension and pain in addition to enhancing the appetite? I have a doctor that says drugs that act on serotonin help with GI pain. But then again, a doc said Ativan would fix me right up too,  :D, so I'm very cautious.    :smitten:

Thanks for posting Parker. I was hoping one day U'd post how u tapered off of remeron!

I'm down to 4.2mg and holding for another week or so before I cut again.

I've also just started 50 mg of 5 htp which is helping too!

[b6...]
Yesterday I went to the ER for an infected foot.  To my surprise, I was admitted to the hospital and heard something about possible surgery.  Still being early in withdrawal, I was really scared and wondering how I could handle it.  When my doctor came to see me he told me I would not need surgery, but I had to stay there overnight.  All I can say is I amreally glad I had started the remeron.  I was able to sleep through the night at the hospital and handle my anxiety while I was there.  It really is taking the edge off of things for me.

Oh my, notright. I am so sorry about your foot and your predicament. I'm glad you've got the aid of the Remeron to keep things steady. How on earth did your foot get so infected? I hope you heal well and soon and that you don't need the surgery.  :smitten:

[b6...]

Thank you OneLove,

I was given an antibiotic IV and am taking one orally now, as well as some other therapy.  It should be OK, just glad I got it under control before it got too bad. :):thumbsup:

Hi All , My Doctor prescribed Mirtazapine 15 mg PRN for insomnia .She told me I could take it as needed if I wanted to . I really did not want to go on another AD drug full time . But it would sure help if I could take something as needed . Also I would like to have something to take when I jump for post-withdraw symptoms. Has any one had any luck taking Remeron as needed ? Thanks MM

I took 22.5 mg for about 3 years.  Went off of it 2 years ago...2 week taper and no WD sxs.

I still take it occasionally for sleep problems.  I think you would find 7.5 mg more than enough for sleep.  When I take it, I actually take 1/4 tablet (approx 3.75 mg, and it works great.

[b5...]
I take a small piece of remeron as needed for sleep, usually even less than 3.75mg. It really works for sleep, and keeps me calm if Im starting to get anxious about something. It doesnt upset ur stomach the way the ssris do.

I also have benefited from small amounts. Usually 4mg. Like Ingrid, I take a small cut. Usually, I divide the pill into 2 pieces. Next, I take the half piece and divide that into two. I then take the larger of the two because the pill splitter I have never cuts these exactly. A fourth would really be 3.75mg but since I take the larger piece, I say 4mg.

In addition to post benzo issues, I have had a work/sleep schedule that changes often. The remeron has really helped me to cope with that :thumbsup:

[b5...]
Pange, do u consider melatonin to be a mild sleep inducer? What is ur experience with it? I have been afraid to try it, but would like to take a crumb one night and see how it does.

Hi Ingrid

In addition to the remeron, I do use 1.5mg melatonin regularly.

I started using melatonin in July or Aug 2006 when I developed a benzo induced problem getting to sleep. Other than morning grogginess, I don't notice any ill effects. There was a time when tapering when I started noticing some agitation while on decreasing valium plus small amounts of remeron plus 3mg melatonin. When I cut the melatonin, I noticed less agitation. I'm not sure if the agitation was brought on by the melatonin or the valium cuts.

To answer your question directly, yes, I do consider it to be a mild sleep inducer. In my case, it seems to bring sleep on much quicker than it had been previously. I take 1.5mg 30 minutes before bedtime. When I lay down, sleep will come within 10 minutes.

My sleep even before benzo use or any med had gotten rather flaky. I think it was due to ongoing stress at work plus an erratic schedule which would cause anyone's sleep to get messed up.

Anyway, you may want to try small amounts and see how you do. I wouldn't worry about bad effects from a one time small dose even at 1/4 tablet or .75mg. Certainly, if any occur, stop usage immediately! Also, if you are under a doctor's care or using any other med, let them know if you plan to use melatonin. This is one thing I've always let my family doctor know.

Take care and best wishes :thumbsup:

[b6...]
The only regret I have about remeron is not starting it 2 months ago....I mean it is helping me big time. It seems to take a couple hours to kick in though and I'm wondering if that is true for others here?

The only regret I have about remeron is not starting it 2 months ago....I mean it is helping me big time. It seems to take a couple hours to kick in though and I'm wondering if that is true for others here?

Notright,

I'm so glad it's helping you with withdrawal, especially after a cold turkey off many years of benzo use. Can you tell me how it's helped your sxs? And how much you are taking? Are you eating & sleeping again? How else has it helped you? I'm taking 7.5 mg & have been on it since my failed ativan taper in June. I could never get to the full 15 mgs though that was prescribed. I'm now on klonopin to taper, using a compounded liquid but it's moving fairly slow this way, & I'm curious to know if I start dry cutting at .125 mg every 10 days it would help speed things up a bit for me.

I've never taken remeron without klonopin, so I'm not sure how it will affect me, or if it will continue to help with a smoother, quicker taper. Just wanted to know how it affects you especially after a cold turkey. And to answer your question....no it doesn't take me 2 hours to feel the effects, it takes about 15 min to a half hour depending on how tired I am.

Thanks so much,

Laelani

[b6...]

Hi Laelani,

I was prescribed  7.5 mg.  I started out taking half of that, I was afraid to take it because I am also on 200mg of zoloft, which I was put on at the time I was taken off K.  I had heard about serotonin syndrome and was nervous even though my doctor and the pharmacist told me that it was safe at that dose.  I have been taking 7.5 mg. the past few days.  Insomnia was a problem, and with the remeron I am able to sleep through the night.  I also feel like my anxiety symptoms are not as intense.  It could be because I am reaching the 3 month point, but I really noticed a difference when I started it last Friday.  I also notice my appetite has increased a little but not over the top.  I can only guess that it is helping you with your taper.  My understanding is that it works better on anxiety on a lower dose, so you're probably good at 7.5mg.  I really hope things go smoothly for you as you become benzo free! :D

All the best,

NRxo

[b6...]

ingrid,

The zoloft did not help with my withdrawal symptoms at all, except that I think it helps with panic attacks. I've only had about 3 major panic attacks since going off K, but I have had really bad anxiety.  I want to get off the zoloft -- unfortunately I was not told that it had a withdrawal syndrome when it was given to me, so I'm going to wait a while before I start to taper it.