Remeron HELPS benzo withdrawal.

[...]

It has helped me tremendously. I dont know where id be without having started it. It really lifted me out of a very dark depression post withdrawal.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bu...]

• [pa...]

• [Sm...]

• [Th...]

I have been taking 4mg remeron for about 4 months and it starting not to work.

I am wondering is it tolerance to REM or am I tapering too fast again?

Has anyone ever had to increase their remeron dose after a while?

Thanks

Bird

Hi,

I am 4 months out of a 17 month klonopin taper. I now take 15mg of Remeron and after a really bad time currently with WD symptoms, I'm beginning to think that some of the deep deep dizziness may be due to the Remeron. 

I was hoping to get stabilized post taper before getting off remeron, but things seems to be worsening rather than better

My doctor says that I should wait at least a year before tackling getting off the remeron, but I'm anxious to get going with it, thinking that it may be causing part of my symptoms.   

Am I being dumb in wanting to get off Remeron?  It does help with my sleep a bit  (6 hours/night), but I'm groggy all day. I've been on it for 7 years.

So, how long do you wait after you've tapered from a benzo before getting off an antidepressant.

Anyone else think that Remeron is causing bad symptoms?

Is it common to get a worsening of symptoms 4 month off?

MAny thanks for your opinions.

BT

Hi Benzotired

Remeron at dosages higher than 7.5mg (half a tablet) caused me dizziness also. You may just want to cut the pill smaller and take less, say 7.5mg or even just 4mg if you can cut that small.

I tried a remeron taper about 4 months after valium taper. It took me 3 months to taper 4mg but I wasn't successful. I think it was due to a unsettling work/sleep schedule. I've decided that I'm staying with the 4mg until I can get a permanent schedule which should be soon.

Birdman: I've been at low dosages remeron (4mg) for some time now and I haven't noticed a tolerance. Actually, I get the opposite effect in that if the dosage or cut of tablet is too high, I get symptoms of remeron overload, meaning dizziness and such.

Birdman: I've been at low dosages remeron (4mg) for some time now and I haven't noticed a tolerance. Actually, I get the opposite effect in that if the dosage or cut of tablet is too high, I get symptoms of remeron overload, meaning dizziness and such.

Thanks pangelingua,  I think I cut too fast then.  Maybe I will try 7.5mg tonight just as a test.

Thanks

Bird :)

[25...]
I would love to take remron daily but I gained 30+lb when I took it for 2 1/2yrs. It affected my apetite & metabolism, I believe. I now just take occ. I always take it when I'm on vacation & sleep so well. For some reason, while traveling, I never get a hangover next morning & I'm up by 7 ready for hiking.

Hi,

I am 4 months out of a 17 month klonopin taper. I now take 15mg of Remeron and after a really bad time currently with WD symptoms, I'm beginning to think that some of the deep deep dizziness may be due to the Remeron. 

I was hoping to get stabilized post taper before getting off remeron, but things seems to be worsening rather than better

My doctor says that I should wait at least a year before tackling getting off the remeron, but I'm anxious to get going with it, thinking that it may be causing part of my symptoms.   

Am I being dumb in wanting to get off Remeron?  It does help with my sleep a bit  (6 hours/night), but I'm groggy all day. I've been on it for 7 years.

So, how long do you wait after you've tapered from a benzo before getting off an antidepressant.

Anyone else think that Remeron is causing bad symptoms?

Is it common to get a worsening of symptoms 4 month off?

MAny thanks for your opinions.

BT

Yup one of the main symptoms of mitrazepine is dizziness/poor balance.

I get RLS from it so I can't really take it. I might try taking 4 mg if I get desperate

Hello a few months ago a tried 7.5 mg Remeron it put me to sleep great but in the morning I couldn't stop tossing and turning my body from side to side in bed, moving every 30

Seconds, it was really weird... I think there is a name for this...

Anyway it seems my body just can't handle Remeron.

That's my experience

Mr scared in Ottawa

I'm glad you had good luck I may try that.  Mornings are the worst for me too.  I could stay in the fetal position all day every day if it were up to me.  I did find a natural supplement called Serrapeptase 80,000 that stops the burning pain within about 4 days but I can't figure out how to pass that on to everyone else. I can only hit reply vs posting to everyone.  I'm new and haven't figured this out yet.  Maybe you can pass it on :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this since I am starting Remeron tonight and I am very nervous about it.

My Dr put me on it for more restful sleep and to improve my appetite, since I have lost so much weight.

I jeep seeing people talk about dizziness. Does it happen on only the higher doses? I am already having dizziness without it. But, that could be because I am not sleeping deeply enough.

I go to bed at 10:00 and wake at 3:00. But, I can tell that it is not a restful sleep. Will the Remeron help with that?

Does it raise your heart rate, or lower your blood pressure?

Also, does it really help with anxiety and depression on the smaller doses?

I would really like to start at 3.75.

Thanks,

Denise  :smitten:

Bumping this since I am starting Remeron tonight and I am very nervous about it.

My Dr put me on it for more restful sleep and to improve my appetite, since I have lost so much weight.

I jeep seeing people talk about dizziness. Does it happen on only the higher doses? I am already having dizziness without it. But, that could be because I am not sleeping deeply enough.

I go to bed at 10:00 and wake at 3:00. But, I can tell that it is not a restful sleep. Will the Remeron help with that?

Does it raise your heart rate, or lower your blood pressure?

Also, does it really help with anxiety and depression on the smaller doses?

I would really like to start at 3.75.

Thanks,

My experience is limited. I've taken it for a week or so - twice now - and then start getting restless legs so have to stop it.

Buutttt.. yes - unless it doesn't agree with you - you will get a long deep sleep, your appetite will probably improve and you can get anxiety relief on small doses. I'm less sure about getting anti-depressive relief on small doses. You probably will a bit. It doesn't say anything about blood pressure and hearts in the list of sx. I'm pretty sure it will help you. I hope it does :)  :smitten: Take care xx

Thanks, Smiff!!

Sorry about the restless legs! Is that something you've had before? What dose were you on?

So, it didn't elevate your heart rate? What about dizziness the next day?

Sorry about the twenty questions.  :)

Thanks, Smiff!!

Sorry about the restless legs! Is that something you've had before? What dose were you on?

No problem... 20 questions away love. After benzos we are all a little drug wary :)

umm restless legs: I've had it kind of before but not as bad as on mitrazepine. It is a common-ish side effect of it. It might be worse for me because I'm still on a bit of citalopram and SSRIs can cause a bit of restless legs too.

It hasn't yet elevated my heart rate :). In fact it does the opposite because it does reduce anxiety. As for dizziness: I don't really notice dizziness per se but more not as good balance. Some balance issues are also a common side effect but that doesn't mean at all that everyone will get it. I only really notice it though when I'm dancing - and then only at higher doses - or doing yoga - even at low doses - so it really may not prove something you will have or notice.

Hope that helps xx

Thanks, Smiff!!

No problem... 20 questions away love. After benzos we are all a little drug wary :)

umm restless legs: I've had it kind of before but not as bad as on mitrazepine. It is a common-ish side effect of it. It might be worse for me because I'm still on a bit of citalopram and SSRIs can cause a bit of restless legs too.

It hasn't yet elevated my heart rate :). In fact it does the opposite because it does reduce anxiety. As for dizziness: I don't really notice dizziness per se but more not as good balance. Some balance issues are also a common side effect but that doesn't mean at all that everyone will get it. I only really notice it though when I'm dancing - and then only at higher doses - or doing yoga - even at low doses - so it really may not prove something you will have or notice.

Hope that helps xx

OH! Are you allowed to take Remeron with Citalopram? I thought they both acted on seratonin. But, I could be very wrong.

What dose did you start at?

So, dancing, huh? What kind? I love dancing. Any kind. But, my favorite has always been ballet. I took lessons as a kid, and still love it. But, then the 80's hit and I found even better dance moves. Hey, who can forget Dirty Dancing!!  :)

Thanks, Smiff!!

Hope that helps xx

OH! Are you allowed to take Remeron with Citalopram? I thought they both acted on seratonin. But, I could be very wrong.

So, dancing, huh? What kind? I love dancing. Any kind. But, my favorite has always been ballet. I took lessons as a kid, and still love it. But, then the 80's hit and I found even better dance moves. Hey, who can forget Dirty Dancing!!  :)

Yup you can take remeron and citalopram. Remeron doesn't act on serotonin. Its actions are pretty different to most anti depressants. Wikipedia has a good article on mitrazepine where it goes into some detail about what parts of the brain are acting.

I started on 30 because that was what my Dr suggested and I hadn't become so med wary. That was too much for me with citalopram as well. The anti-depressant action starts at higher doses and the sedation ironically goes down the higher dose you go. 6mgs can get you some sleep and maybe some anxiety reduction. 15mgs is supposed to be the lowest clinically used dose. I'd start at 10ish maybe and see how I went if I were in your shoes.

Ha! Love Dirty Dancing. I do belly dancing. Its a bit of an odd hobby I guess but i've been doing it now for almost a decade so it is part of my life. I do wish I'd done ballet as a kid though even for that lovely posture and extension :)

Thanks, Smiff!!

Hope that helps xx

Yup you can take remeron and citalopram. Remeron doesn't act on serotonin. Its actions are pretty different to most anti depressants. Wikipedia has a good article on mitrazepine where it goes into some detail about what parts of the brain are acting.

I started on 30 because that was what my Dr suggested and I hadn't become so med wary. That was too much for me with citalopram as well. The anti-depressant action starts at higher doses and the sedation ironically goes down the higher dose you go. 6mgs can get you some sleep and maybe some anxiety reduction. 15mgs is supposed to be the lowest clinically used dose. I'd start at 10ish maybe and see how I went if I were in your shoes.

Ha! Love Dirty Dancing. I do belly dancing. Its a bit of an odd hobby I guess but i've been doing it now for almost a decade so it is part of my life. I do wish I'd done ballet as a kid though even for that lovely posture and extension :)

I am thinking about starting ay 3.75 for tonight. Just to see how I react to it.

Belly dancing!! How awesome is that!!  :)

Well, the lovely posture and extension goes away after you stop and get older!  ;)

I can still do a plie, but my knees crack!! I am only 46 yrs old. I still have my toe shoes, but haven't had them out in years. Don't think my ankles would hold me now!!  :laugh:

I also did gymnastics. I really enjoyed it, too.

Btw, how are you doing? I saw something about a concussion in your info below. Are you still tapering as well?

Dancing is awesome food for the soul. You should give an easy class a go! Belly dance is an easy dance to be a beginner at :)

The concussion really wasn't pretty with the benzo withdrawal. I kept withdrawing at first but my brain was not at all happy about that. Glutamate, anxiety and wobbly neurotransmitters, are the enemy of benzo withdrawal and concussion so it was not a good combination. They were getting unpleasantly co-morbid and it wasn't healing. It was made worse because I couldn't do yoga while I was concussed and yoga has helped with the benzo sx immensely. In the end I updosed to give my brain a chance to not have to deal with benzo withdrawal and at least stop being concussed. It worked so I should be able to start reducing again next week (after I give my brain a full week without concussion symptoms).

Take note: Concussion is ill advised during benzo withdrawal! ;)

Good luck with mitrazepine. Let us know how you go xx

Dancing is awesome food for the soul. You should give an easy class a go! Belly dance is an easy dance to be a beginner at :)

The concussion really wasn't pretty with the benzo withdrawal. I kept withdrawing at first but my brain was not at all happy about that. Glutamate, anxiety and wobbly neurotransmitters, are the enemy of benzo withdrawal and concussion so it was not a good combination. They were getting unpleasantly co-morbid and it wasn't healing. It was made worse because I couldn't do yoga while I was concussed and yoga has helped with the benzo sx immensely. In the end I updosed to give my brain a chance to not have to deal with benzo withdrawal and at least stop being concussed. It worked so I should be able to start reducing again next week (after I give my brain a full week without concussion symptoms).

Take note: Concussion is ill advised during benzo withdrawal! ;)

Good luck with mitrazepine. Let us know how you go xx

Oh honey, so sorry about the concussion!! Hope things are better for you now.

ME!! Belly dancing!! HA HA!! Nobody would want to see this belly dance!! :D

And, I live in a very small town that doesn't offer that sort of class. It would shock the whole town if someone did offer it.  :)

I read threads like this before I started my remeron experiment and all I saw was the good stuff. I really am happy for the people who get relief, but it made me terribly sedated and more anxious and unfortunately dependent in only two weeks. I decided to stop it quite abruptly rather than taper for longer than I was on it. Now I am sitting here hoping the withdrawal ends on the shorter of the typical 2-4 week timeframe. Probably made worse my stopping my Valium taper around the same time. I think I may have finally accepted that there is no chemical solution, at least not for me. I'm glad it works for some people but I wish I hadn't taken it. 

I read threads like this before I started my remeron experiment and all I saw was the good stuff. I really am happy for the people who get relief, but it made me terribly sedated and more anxious and unfortunately dependent in only two weeks. I decided to stop it quite abruptly rather than taper for longer than I was on it. Now I am sitting here hoping the withdrawal ends on the shorter of the typical 2-4 week timeframe. Probably made worse my stopping my Valium taper around the same time. I think I may have finally accepted that there is no chemical solution, at least not for me. I'm glad it works for some people but I wish I hadn't taken it.

I'm sorry it didn't work swimming.

There are also a lot of people on here struggling to get off mitrazepine.

I took it just this last week in a desperate attempt to get my heart to stop beating rapidly and when I stopped it abruptly - after a week of so - I did get withdrawals - shaking, restless legs and hands and hyper sensitivity to sound. But it wasn't consistent and was over after 48 hours. Your withdrawals wont take long to resolve because as you say you haven't been on it long. By the end of this weekend you will hopefully be feeling better. It is scary though when you see how quickly and strong the dependence is. I'm glad I experienced that brief look into it so I could categorically say that I don't want to deal with worse than that in future.

The other thing getting off it does is pull back the curtain a bit on the benzo withdrawal. So any benzo withdrawal hanging around is heightened. Where is your benzo withdrawal at?

Thanks smiff. I am definitely in a hole right now. I slept 3 hrs last night. I am trying to be proud that it was three hours without meds but it is difficult to face the day like this. Some of it probably is Valium withdrawal since I stopped 0.5 Valium a week before stopping remeron. It just feels so destructive to reinforce the idea that I need a med to sleep. But in the dark hours of the night I find myself researching if there is anything else I can take. I am going to try to take care of myself today and justkeepswimming but I am scared of what the next few days will bring. I know so many buddies have walked this path before me but I honestly don't know if I have the strength. If I knew it was one more week or ten days then maybe.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi BB's! I have been on Remeron since about 2003 for Panic attacks and PTSD. 30 mg once a day..They tried me on 45 Mg and I felt like I had snorted a eight-ball of coke! Went back down to 30 mg.. I'm currently on 2 mg's of Xanax and 3 mg of Clonazepam per day along with the Remeron. I think I may be having tolerance withdrawals from the benzo's, but after reading the posts here..I'm starting to wonder if I'm just 'Amped Up' from the 30 mg of remeron. I went from wearing a size 32 jeans to a 44.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 255...All I know is after years of being on these drugs my health has went into the toilet.!

I'm starting a slow titration taper from Xanax, after that I'll attack the Clonazepam staying on my 30 mg dose of Remeron..We'll see how I feel after that!

* Just out of curiosity,has anyone experienced ringing in the ears after taking remeron for long periods of time?*

Hi BB's! I have been on Remeron since about 2003 for Panic attacks and PTSD. 30 mg once a day..They tried me on 45 Mg and I felt like I had snorted a eight-ball of coke! Went back down to 30 mg.. I'm currently on 2 mg's of Xanax and 3 mg of Clonazepam per day along with the Remeron. I think I may be having tolerance withdrawals from the benzo's, but after reading the posts here..I'm starting to wonder if I'm just 'Amped Up' from the 30 mg of remeron. I went from wearing a size 32 jeans to a 44.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 255...All I know is after years of being on these drugs my health has went into the toilet.!

I'm starting a slow titration taper from Xanax, after that I'll attack the Clonazepam staying on my 30 mg dose of Remeron..We'll see how I feel after that!

* Just out of curiosity,has anyone experienced ringing in the ears after taking remeron for long periods of time?*

Hi Pepsimoon,

I have been on remeron for 7 years and have had dizziness and tinnitus for 7 years.  No weight gain at all.  I feel it helped with sleep during my 17 month taper from klonopin, but that's about all.  I began my Remeron taper when I was 6 months off klonopin.  I'm now  6 weeks into a liquid titration from Remeron and after the 2 week, my WD symptoms became pretty awful, adding to what was still  benzo wd symptoms.    By the way, rather than first doing a xanax taper and then a klonopoin taper, have you considered adding the benzo equivalencies together  ( they are equal) and just taper once from the total benzos.  That is what I did as I too was taking both klonopin and xanax.  Why go through that hell twice?  Good luck.