Remeron HELPS benzo withdrawal.

[...]

Hi:

I so happy that the remeron has worked for so many people. Unfortunately, remeron, even at a 7 mg dose, gave me high anxiety. The SSRis put me into anxiety cyberspace. I wish I could take an A/D, but I can't. Everyone is different and I guess I should count my blessings that I have never suffered from depression. I'm sure I'd be in bad shape. No telling down the road whether I'll suffer from depression as a s/x. Am praying it won't happen. Betsy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bu...]

• [pa...]

• [Sm...]

• [Th...]

Remeron has helped me,

BUT! The weight I've put on is SO bad. I'm also 5.10 and I have gained two stone!

For this reason I need to come off of it. It's making me very unhappy to keep gaining so much weight.

• 3 weeks later...

It's pretty encouraging to see that Remeron is an AD that can help a lot with benzo withdrawals, since I'm already on it alongside Klonopin. I'll start to taper 0.75mg of K soon - not having dreams about saving me from the whole withdrawals even by a slow taper, but definitely a music to my ears that many ppl seems to find it ease them. Somebody even said it masked the WDs so good that he/she just realized that the CNS is still healing when wanted to taper Remeron 4 months post-benzos and got smashed with symptoms - yet had nothing after going back on it and tapered a year later.

However, as I see a lot of you just use it as an add-on during taper. I was started on it alongside the K, and my p-doc worked my way up to 45 mg what was a good idea, feeling better here than I did on 30. I plan to keep this dose for good now.

Anyone has an experience with tapering benzos with a steady 45mg of Remeron during the way? The sedating effects aren't that pronounced at this dose.

• 2 weeks later...

Without Remeron, I would never have been able to get off or stay off benzos.

I added Remeron when I got down to 1.5 mg of Valium on my taper. A week after I added it, I was able to walk off the rest of the benzos without too much of a problem.  (which was amazing considering how disabled I had been before)

However, I gained weight - 17 pounds. Because I was still having a lot of the negative thoughts and depression caused by benzo withdrawal, I decided that I hated myself fat and couldn't abide the weight gain. At 3 months off, I started trying to taper the Remeron and I had a huge return of benzo withdrawal symptoms. AWFUL!! HUGE MISTAKE! I then had to up the Remeron to 45mgs to make it go away. Then, again at 6 months off benzos, I tried to taper Remeron again because of weight. Again, huge return of most horrible benzo withdrawal symptoms, freaking out agony, and I had to go up to 60mg Remeron to make the symptoms go away.

After that, I decided that I was not going to try to taper the Remeron again until I was sure that the worst of my benzo withdrawal had passed.

I started tapering the Remeron after 18 months ? (see sig, I can't remember) off benzos with NO problems at all-- cutting it by 15mg at a time. This was in huge contrast to earlier in benzo withdrawal where I would cut it by 3mg and all hell would break loose. My CONCLUSION: the horrible withdrawals that people on here report about Remeron are actually BENZO WITHDRAWAL symptoms, NOT Remeron withdrawal symptoms. The Remeron covers up the benzo withdrawal symptoms, so when you quit taking it, they come raging back. Every cut of remeron that I did much later into benzo withdrawal has been a breeze-- one night of slightly fitful sleep and then fine.

Remeron helps me sleep and has realy been good to me anyway codent haw coped whit out it ,,,,,But i quit remeron before so whith out a doubt Remeron has  withdrawal. problems but for the moment im trying to quit benzoz,,, not Remeron,,,,,,,,so  its a god sleep agent and a bit calming to,,,,,,and not so hard to get of when that day coms  about 14 days and then i was fine,,, if i remeber right,,,,,,,,,,  :)

so  its a god sleep agent and a bit calming to,,,,,,and not so hard to get of when that day coms  about 14 days and then i was fine,,, if i remeber right,,,,,,,,,,  :)

I took 22.5-30 mg remeron for almost 3 years.  I too did a 2 week taper, and had no WD sxs at all.

• 1 month later...
[d5...]

Without Remeron, I would never have been able to get off or stay off benzos.

I added Remeron when I got down to 1.5 mg of Valium on my taper. A week after I added it, I was able to walk off the rest of the benzos without too much of a problem.  (which was amazing considering how disabled I had been before)

However, I gained weight - 17 pounds. Because I was still having a lot of the negative thoughts and depression caused by benzo withdrawal, I decided that I hated myself fat and couldn't abide the weight gain. At 3 months off, I started trying to taper the Remeron and I had a huge return of benzo withdrawal symptoms. AWFUL!! HUGE MISTAKE! I then had to up the Remeron to 45mgs to make it go away. Then, again at 6 months off benzos, I tried to taper Remeron again because of weight. Again, huge return of most horrible benzo withdrawal symptoms, freaking out agony, and I had to go up to 60mg Remeron to make the symptoms go away.

After that, I decided that I was not going to try to taper the Remeron again until I was sure that the worst of my benzo withdrawal had passed.

I started tapering the Remeron after 18 months ? (see sig, I can't remember) off benzos with NO problems at all-- cutting it by 15mg at a time. This was in huge contrast to earlier in benzo withdrawal where I would cut it by 3mg and all hell would break loose. My CONCLUSION: the horrible withdrawals that people on here report about Remeron are actually BENZO WITHDRAWAL symptoms, NOT Remeron withdrawal symptoms. The Remeron covers up the benzo withdrawal symptoms, so when you quit taking it, they come raging back. Every cut of remeron that I did much later into benzo withdrawal has been a breeze-- one night of slightly fitful sleep and then fine.

I found this post very helpful. Thanks. Ive been given a script for 15mg remeron to use as I go down on my valium. Im stabilizing at 10mg now. Ive taken remeron b4, I only take a very small amt and get relief, and had no trouble w/drawing from it. So I haven't had to use it yet, but I will if necessary. Did u also know that remeron is good for nausea as well sleep?

Ask

Your post about quiting remeron and returning benzo sxs hit a chord with me.

Six months post taper, I tried to cut small amounts of remeron. Three months later, I started having a bad period hit. It lasted until I went back on the small dosages of remeron. But, it also took some time for me to realize what the solution was. In particular, I had some awful trouble handling stress and work/sleep shifts. I went through 2 months of irregular or no sleep.

As I mentioned, going back to the remeron put me right back on track.

Thanks for your post which reaffirms what I already suspected :thumbsup:

Update: Went off Remeron, about 6 months into my w/d, and switched to Citalopram... lost sleep again, became jittery and irritable, angry suicidal, etc...

decided switch back to Remeron 15-30mg for the past 3 months now. I would NOT be able to sleep without it... before i was getting 1-2 hours of sleep at night. Now I sleep 8-9+ hours a night and almost always feel refreshed.

This a/d is a godsend, especially later in w/d when you are less sensitive to meds. It also helps tremendously with depression (I rarely get sad and hopeless, and all suicidal thoughts have left) and my appetite is  quite good. My digestive problems have been cleared up for the most part, too. I will probably be taking this med for the next year at least.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about 4 days since I've started on 7.5mg of Remeron in the evening and I have to say the past two days have been the best I've had in a while. I've been eating and sleeping which is a REALLY good thing for me. Last night I wanted to see if I could fall asleep without it and I had not problems. Although I did wake up 5 hrs later. The drowsiness the next morning is the only thing that bothers me  bit about it, but otherwise no complaints at all.  ;)

Remeron can cause a withdrawal syndrome just like all psych drugs can, so for those tooting this drug from the rooftops, be aware, and for those who fall into the trap of thinking this drug is great, read up about it before you end up on a ssri  withdrawal forum too.

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47954

http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/21324-remeron-withdrawal-hell/

Discontinuation[edit]

Mirtazapine and other antidepressants may cause a withdrawal syndrome upon discontinuation.[5][56][57][58] A gradual and slow reduction in dose is recommended in order to minimize withdrawal symptoms.[59] Effects of sudden cessation of treatment with mirtazapine may include depression, anxiety, panic attacks, vertigo, restlessness, irritability, decreased appetite, insomnia, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms such as allergies and pruritus, headaches and sometimes hypomania or mania.[56][57][60][61][62]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtazapine#Discontinuation

Interesting thread.  Pdoc wanted to put me on remeron today, to ease the V taper.  I said no, but will re access later.  I don't come off a/ds easily! or benzos easy!

OC  :smitten: :smitten:

Anyone do cold turkeys with benzos and get help with Remeron. I am 2 years post my 5th cold turkey (very short reinstatement) and I am so desperate for depression and pain relief that I do have a RX for Remeron, but I took 3.75 mg and slept for 2 days and I think it sent me into a nasty wave, so I have been scared to try it again. I know the higher doses are less sedating, but I am still scared. Any thoughts?

I was on 15 mg of remeron since my detox. It helped immeasurably with sleep and appetite. I CT'd it two weeks ago with only minor insomnia. Great med.

I will be starting on Remeron in a week or so, if it helps at all with anxiety it may just help me taper a little better, not expecting miracles but I hope it helps a little at least, at this juncture I don't really think it is wise to remain stubborn on the med front... I just want to be benzo free and if that means being on an anto depressant for some years then so be it.

I need to give this a try at least...

[d5...]
I think ur doing the right thing, Oscar. It may really help u out & get away from benzos. I did best on low dose Remeron for anxiety & sleep. I never had trouble starting or stopping it. Just had hangover next until I got used to it. Good luck

I think ur doing the right thing, Oscar. It may really help u out & get away from benzos. I did best on low dose Remeron for anxiety & sleep. I never had trouble starting or stopping it. Just had hangover next until I got used to it. Good luck

Thank you Ingrid.  :)

[d5...]
Oscar, I have 15mg remeron pills rx by my pdoc to use any time during my taper, daily or whenever. What I plan to do is go as far as possible down on valium b4 adding the remeron. I will take 7.5mg or less of the remeron as that is what I took b4 and it worked for me. I wont go above 15mg tho, I felt more anxious when I tried that one time. good luck to u :)

Oscar, I have 15mg remeron pills rx by my pdoc to use any time during my taper, daily or whenever. What I plan to do is go as far as possible down on valium b4 adding the remeron. I will take 7.5mg or less of the remeron as that is what I took b4 and it worked for me. I wont go above 15mg tho, I felt more anxious when I tried that one time. good luck to u :)

Hi Ingrid,

Someone else told me they took 15 mg and it made them anxious, I have read about this med and everyone seems to agree it is more sedating at lower doses so that is what I will try first of all.

Thanks again and hope you are healing.  :)

I have 15 my round tablets and quarter them with an exacto knife. I chew the 3.75 mg. and let it dissolve under my tongue for several minutes. It makes me very sleepy within minutes. It has worked very well for me for about 7 months now.  :smitten:

[d5...]

I have 15 my round tablets and quarter them with an exacto knife. I chew the 3.75 mg. and let it dissolve under my tongue for several minutes. It makes me very sleepy within minutes. It has worked very well for me for about 7 months now.  :smitten:

Onelove,  I have never tried the remeron with valium on board. So, I assume it works out good? Did u use the 3.75mg remeron when u were on the higher doses of valium? Im at 9.5mg valium now. thanks :)

Onelove,  I have never tried the remeron with valium on board. So, I assume it works out good? Did u use the 3.75mg remeron when u were on the higher doses of valium? Im at 9.5mg valium now. thanks :)

Ingrid, I think I was about 3 mgs. in valium dosage when I started remeron.  I was only 5 mgs. at my highest and rapidly (too rapidly) cut that down to 2.12, then went back up to 3.  However, I do know of someone who is in the dosage area of about 10-12 mg I think and he has been very pleased with the remeron results.If you like, I can ask him if he would be comfortable talking to you about it.  :smitten:

[d5...]
Yes, if he wants to pm me about it, that would be great. I have not felt the need for it yet, but you never know. I get super nervous when trying 2 meds together for the first time. Thanks.

I guess he could also just reply to this thread. It might help others :)

I'll be happy to point the way here.  :)

We can sure use all the help we can get in benzoland. It can be anything from smooth sailing to a minefield.  :wacko: