Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hi guys,

checking in to see how everybody is doing and to give an update. I've reached 6,7 mg now and so glad my taper is going well. I taper around 0,3 mg which is about 4%. It's generally recommended to taper in % and not mg but I feel as long as I stay below 5% it's fine. Read my signature and see how much I progressed over time after my healing progressed. :)

I generally have a lot of good days and some lesser days, but it's never unbearable. And it sounds crazy, but I actually look forward to going down in my dose again because I feel like I am becoming more and more like myself. I felt so sedated and at the same time a little overstimulated but since I reached 7 mg I feel much more confident to drive, even in the afternoon.

I've gained additional weight though which I didn't expect but I figure since I am a small female, the point where I start losing weight is lower than most people since the dose is higher for me relatively due to my small size. It bums me out, but as long as I keep going it will come off eventually.

I have no idea when I will be off in this pace, but I don't care. I just take it step by step. I take supplements (multi, silicium, kelp, vitamin C and fish oil) but no DAO. Pollen season is coming up though, so I might use it to keep my histamine managable.

How is everybody doing?

@Slowphie, how are you? Are you feeling any better?

@Hotcoldhotcold, I'm sorry you are not feeling OK. Hope you feel better soon. I can not give you medical advise, but I think it helps to play

around with the amount you want to taper and the period between tapers. I generally do a 4% cut and wait 14 days after that. In the beginning I could only handle a 2% cut and it was much worse to handle. I guess my nervous system has healed in the meantime.

@seekingtoheal, how are you doing now?

@Rosemarie, welcome. Haven't seen you before. Hope you get a lot of information here.

@Finalhealing, I read you asked about feeling sedated. It's gotten better since I got below 7 mg, but yes! I feel major sedation. It's the main reason I wanted to get off so bad.

@Quinn, how are you doing?

Sorry if I forgot anyone. Keep up the good work everybody! Small progress is progress too. :)

Hi Oxa,

Great to hear your update. Congratulations on getting into the 6's. I'm glad you are feeling better as you get lower and have good days.

I'm am okay. My last cut was very rough and I was trying to figure out why, knowing that some cuts are just tougher. I did realize that my trying to shift to a vegan way of eating was too much for me at this time. As soon as I added some protein back into my diet, I felt better.

The sedation has been better but I now wake up with anxiety. I feel it's both cortisol and the fact that my nervous system has less medication suppressing it.

I, like you, am cutting every 14 days. I am doing about 3.5% for each cut. So far I seem to be able to handle it even though my system is still heaing from my setback.

I wanted to share that I have had good experience using an alcohol free stinging nettles tincture for allergies. Its a natural antihistamine. You can research it's effectiveness for seasonal allergies.  I make sure to get a tincture with only stinging nettles and not a blend.

Good to hear your update.

Final Healing

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

checking in to see how everybody is doing and to give an update. I've reached 6,7 mg now and so glad my taper is going well. I taper around 0,3 mg which is about 4%. It's generally recommended to taper in % and not mg but I feel as long as I stay below 5% it's fine. Read my signature and see how much I progressed over time after my healing progressed. :)

I generally have a lot of good days and some lesser days, but it's never unbearable. And it sounds crazy, but I actually look forward to going down in my dose again because I feel like I am becoming more and more like myself. I felt so sedated and at the same time a little overstimulated but since I reached 7 mg I feel much more confident to drive, even in the afternoon.

I've gained additional weight though which I didn't expect but I figure since I am a small female, the point where I start losing weight is lower than most people since the dose is higher for me relatively due to my small size. It bums me out, but as long as I keep going it will come off eventually.

I have no idea when I will be off in this pace, but I don't care. I just take it step by step. I take supplements (multi, silicium, kelp, vitamin C and fish oil) but no DAO. Pollen season is coming up though, so I might use it to keep my histamine managable.

How is everybody doing?

@Hotcoldhotcold, I'm sorry you are not feeling OK. Hope you feel better soon. I can not give you medical advise, but I think it helps to play

around with the amount you want to taper and the period between tapers. I generally do a 4% cut and wait 14 days after that. In the beginning I could only handle a 2% cut and it was much worse to handle. I guess my nervous system has healed in the meantime.

@Rosemarie, welcome. Haven't seen you before. Hope you get a lot of information here.

@Finalhealing, I read you asked about feeling sedated. It's gotten better since I got below 7 mg, but yes! I feel major sedation. It's the main reason I wanted to get off so bad.

Sorry if I forgot anyone. Keep up the good work everybody! Small progress is progress too. :)

Wow, I love that you're going as slow as you need to. And that it's never unbearable, not anymore. Also nice to read that you feel more and more like yourself. THAT is GOLDEN!!!

I go by weight because that's the only way I know to do it! I'm also tapering my Lactimal. The doctor said to just stop taking it, because I'm on the lowest dose. But I cut 1/4 of a pill last night. Didn't sleep all that well but I felt more like myself today than I have for a long time. I'm alternating between Lactimal and Mirtazepine. The Mirt is 1000X harder! But I'm pretty low by now. I'd say I'm at 2.5 mg of Mirt.

Anyway, thank you for the kind words and advice! It's very sweet of you!!

Hey Oxa and all. Glad everyone is progressing and wish all much success.

For me it has been rough. Almost 3 months since I jumped and have had 2 instances where I took a small amount of mirt. Still trying to figure out to reinstate or hang on. Tough decision. I fear reinstating and it does not help then I am back to tapering again with the same symptoms.

My main symptoms are in my head. Head pressure, tingling/prickly sensation mainly on my forehead but on my head to...which causes some type of ear ringing. I thought my appetite would subside but it has not. Sleep is ok with melatonin.

I think I am still in likely acute based W/D. I really hate to lose the suffering progress I made. I keep thinking/hoping improvement is around the corner.

Still trying to find triggers. I take melatonin for sleep and take Astepro nasal spray (which is a anithistamine) and thats it. My diet I have had to restrict to sensitivities.

In retrospect I should have just waited a year or so after klonopin and then tackled mirt. But it is what it is.

Wishing all much healing and better days ahead.

Seeking.

Hey Ox,

I suppose I’m better than I was at month 1, I’m 2 months & 5 days since my positive test now, and still feel far from total recovery. :(

I also lost my job on Monday because I’ve had to be on sick leave for so long. Feeling pretty scared atm and desperately hoping this won’t be forever. Still holding my taper at 2.33mg. I wish I never got this stupid virus 😭

I’m glad you’re all moving forward.

Hi guys,

How is everybody doing?

Hey Oxa!

Thanks for checking in! Glad you have found a tapering rhythm that agrees with you! I am working on the same myself.

I was doing a weekly taper, coming down by 1mg every 1-2 months, which was around 20%. But when I got covid and then long covid again, and got to around 2.6mg, I started having bad sleep issues and histamine overload. Insomnia and some nausea. I literally didn't sleep barely at all in the month of January. So I backed it up to 2.8mg and am now cutting every week, coming down by about 4% per month. SO I have REALLY slowed it down.  Good news is that I am sleeping again and feeling great! (But I have to do sauna 3x per week to get that nightly sleep-- nitric oxide made by sauna lowers histamine) No real symptoms now.  So slow and steady wins the race for me.

Of course, I am still so encouraged by how much DAO changed my tapering experience that I am still looking for another supplement to help speed this up and to help others. So I'm still over here tinkering with potions.  :idiot: If you're bored, you can check out my blog to see the rabbit holes I am in.  :laugh:

Slowphie, I am so sorry to hear about your job. I also once got fired for being sick. It should be illegal. I'll keep praying for you.  :'(

Final Healing, thanks for the tip on the Stinging Nettles!  :thumbsup:

HotcoldHotCold, congrats on being so low on the Mirt!!  :yippee:

SeekingtoHeal, hang in there, friend. Healing is on the way.  :therethere:

Best to all, Quinn  :smitten:

Hello Buddies....Wanted to use mirtazapine on and off when needing some sleep...Not like a daily use...Until my sleep stabilizes...Just to break the insomnia cycle...I know most of members in this group are knowledgeable about pros and cons of Mirtazapine...Any advice will be appreciated...

Bexlan

Hello Buddies....Wanted to use mirtazapine on and off when needing some sleep...Not like a daily use...Until my sleep stabilizes...Just to break the insomnia cycle...I know most of members in this group are knowledgeable about pros and cons of Mirtazapine...Any advice will be appreciated...

Bexlan

Hi Bexlan,

It is such a personal decision on whether to take Mirt on a as needed basis.  Most everyone here is trying to taper  and going through varying degrees of symptoms.

For me personally, I would try other non medication things to sleep before I would use Mirtazapine. I truly understand the trauma around not sleeping because insomnia can range in intensity. I'm on Mirt for the second time to try and fix sleep due to a setback but it did not work and I'm tapering.

I have read some posts where people do use Mirt as needed and rotate it with other things.  If you decided to use Mirt on an as needed basis, I would only use the lowest dose possible. Again, I'm not suggesting you do because I'm not a fan of the medication but I understand the pain of insomnia.

Have you tried any supplements for sleep?

FH

Bexlan

Hi Bexlan,

It is such a personal decision on whether to take Mirt on a as needed basis.  Most everyone here is trying to taper  and going through varying degrees of symptoms.

For me personally, I would try other non medication things to sleep before I would use Mirtazapine. I truly understand the trauma around not sleeping because insomnia can range in intensity. I'm on Mirt for the second time to try and fix sleep due to a setback but it did not work and I'm tapering.

I have read some posts where people do use Mirt as needed and rotate it with other things.  If you decided to use Mirt on an as needed basis, I would only use the lowest dose possible. Again, I'm not suggesting you do because I'm not a fan of the medication but I understand the pain of insomnia.

Have you tried any supplements for sleep?

FH

Thank you for your kind reply..

I use some supplements like Ashwaganda...I also use Cryptoheptadine once in a while till my sleep gets back on track...

Haven't started the remeron yet though..Still thinking through it..

Bexlan

I hope you find the decision that's right for you.

I use things like magnesium glycinate, L-theanine and Calms Forte to help me relax into sleep. They don't knick me out but do eventually relax me.

FH

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everybody is doing ok. Slowphie, I really hope you are recovering from Covid. I'm so frustrated on your behalf that you have to deal with this virus on top of everything else.

I wanted to share that I finished my mirtazapine taper a couple of weeks ago, sort of unintentionally. I was tapering rather swiftly with no real issues (still had a few benzo w/d sxs, but nothing new) and then I went on a trip for 10 days and accidentally left my scale there. I was down to .8mg of mirt and was planning to be off it in about a month anyway, so I decided to just stop instead of buying a new scale and dealing with the tiny crumb.

I was a bit surprised at how rough it got! My sleep has been choppy ever since, my gut issues (already existing from w/d) took a sharp uptick, and I have all around felt like crud. I think I'm slowly starting to restabilize. I will add that I had way too much going on with work and visitors, and the stress I'm sure did not help.

But all in all, I'm doing ok and now I am totally drug free! Taking a bunch of supplements for belly and sleep, but zero drugs!!

Sending lots of care to everyone. It's a long road but it does end.

Openroad

Congratulations @Openroad!  Well done on getting off all meds.

I'm sorry the jump off has caused some symptoms but it's good you feel you are stabilizing. I've known other people who have jumped off Mirt at about 1mg and they have healed and are living life.

You did a steady taper and as soon as you come out of this final rough patch you will get to enjoy your success even more.

May I ask how long you were on Mirt before you started tapering?

Great job!

Final healing

FH -

Thank you so much.

You can see in my signature that I started taking 7.5mg on 1/24 of last year to help with acute in benzo w/d.

But i have not been tapering mirt this whole time. I was mostly tapering the benzo.

It’s all in my signature - anywhere you see the ‘m’ or ‘mirt,’ I’m referring to mirtazapine. :)

Hope that helps!

Openroad

Yes, I did see that but wasn't sure if you had been on it prior to the benzo.

You have done a fabulous job of tapering both meds and breaking free.

Look forward to future updates as you heal more and more.

FH

Hi Everyone,

I’m 8 years post cold turkey off Benzo and find myself in a setback because I wasn’t fully healed. My main issue is panic/anxiety and insomnia. They gave me Remeron to try also Trazodone. Please give me your advice on the Remeron. It sounds like it’s a tough one to eventually taper. Scared to death of trying anything but also the insomnia is brutal.

Hi Everyone,

I’m 8 years post cold turkey off Benzo and find myself in a setback because I wasn’t fully healed. My main issue is panic/anxiety and insomnia. They gave me Remeron to try also Trazodone. Please give me your advice on the Remeron. It sounds like it’s a tough one to eventually taper. Scared to death of trying anything but also the insomnia is brutal.

Hi Niners,

I'm sorry to hear about your setback. I too am healing from a setback and have gotten much better since it occurred 7 months ago.

Setback Insomnia is brutal and it's how I ended up on Remeron for the second time. It did not help me sleep during the initial part of my setback. As I have tapered lower, it has given me some sleep, which also coulld be due to my nervous system and brain healing from the setback.

It is a personal decision on whether to take Remeron or not. Most people on this thread are currently or have tapered off of the medication. If your read through this thread you will see that people have had symptoms of varying degrees as they  they tapered. 

If you can, and it's only my opinion, I suggest trying different supplements or herbs for sleep before a psych medication. That  is what I did before I reluctantly turned to Remeron and only did so because I was so sick. I would have used Benadryl but it causes a paradoxical reaction for me.

If you decide on Remeron, I would suggest the lowest possible does you can. You can do that by using a pill cutter and splitting a 7.5mg pill in half and then half again. Again, I can't advise you to take the medication or not. Reading through this thread will help you get more of a perspective of what it is like to taper Remeron. 

I hope you get relief soon.

Final Healing

Hi Everyone,

Hi,

I took Remeron. The doctor wanted to get me up to 45 mg but I couldn't get past 15 mg. It knocked me out. I didn't like how tired I was during the day. At that point I'd lost a boatload of weight and Remeron will make you put it on. 15 mg is the usual starting dose. The less you take of it, the more tired it makes you. I went from 15 mg to 7.5 mg in a heartbeat. Went down more and more until I'm just on a chip. Anyway, it helped. I makes symptoms flare when you titrate down, so I'm doing it slowly for less of a reaction. I'd try the lowest dose possible if I were to do it over, like half a 7.5 mg pill.  :thumbsup:

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to give an update. I'm now at 4.8mgs of Mirt from my original dose of 7.5mgs.

I'm doing a dry cut taper with a nail file and scale, which is the same way I did my benzo taper.

Once I got into the 5s, the Mirt started to help me sleep after doing the opposite at the higher doses. I do feel pretty sedated in the morning along with nausea and head pressure. I also cry a lot when the cuts hit and I remember that from the first time I tapered from Mirt. Overall though, things are generally better as I move down on the dose.

I usually taper between 3.5-4% twice a month. I've just tried a 5% cut this month to see if I can handle it.  Now that I have healed more from my surgery setback, I was willing to try.  We shall see how it goes.

I hope everyone who is tapering is hanging in there and doing the best they can. Openroad, I hope your post Mirt jump is getting easier.

FH

Wow open road, congrats on getting off Mirt!! SO happy for you ❤️ other than the crappy withdrawal symptoms, it must feel like such a relief.

I’m just over 3 months into my covid journey from hell and thankfully I’m feeling a little better. Hoping I will be able to work again in the next month or two. I also restarted my Mirt taper this week and I’m at 2.23mg now. Still quite a while to go. 🥲

I'm glad you are feeling a little better post Covid Slowphie. I know it's been a long road to recovery. 

I'm doing all right after trying a 5% cut. I definitely felt it at about day 7-8 but did not cause much more discomfort then what I feel doing smaller percentages.

I'm still functional though I feel pretty low energy most of the time. I think the antihistamine properties of Mirt are affecting me. I am eating low histamine and taking DAO but I still feel draggy.  Really looking forward to the medication loosening it's grip as I move lower.

Hope everyone is doing all right.

FH

Hi All -

I hope everyone is doing ok.

I'm reporting back to let folks know I had to reinstate. I jumped off mirtazapine at appx .8mg. I wasn't having any withdrawal sxs, so I figured it was safe to do so. In the 4 weeks that followed, I got continuously sicker. Stress and taking a claritin for a few days may have contributed. It's unclear. But by week four, I was having severe adrenal rushes, heart palpitations, nausea, severe GI distress, and complete inability to sleep. I took a risk and reinstated at .6 mg and it seems to have done the trick. My sleep immediately came back and the other sxs lessened.

This drug is no joke that it holds this kind of power at half a miligram. I'm astounded.

I'm going to stabilize on .6 and then start to taper down again. I have been dry cutting, but if I need to go much lower, I will likely need to get a compounded liquid.

Just leaving this here in case this information is helpful to anyone else now or sometime in the future. I have benefitted so much from the stories left by those who tapered before us.

Stay strong y'all!

openroad

Hi All -

I'm reporting back to let folks know I had to reinstate. I jumped off mirtazapine at appx .8mg. I wasn't having any withdrawal sxs, so I figured it was safe to do so. In the 4 weeks that followed, I got continuously sicker. Stress and taking a claritin for a few days may have contributed. It's unclear. But by week four, I was having severe adrenal rushes, heart palpitations, nausea, severe GI distress, and complete inability to sleep. I took a risk and reinstated at .6 mg and it seems to have done the trick. My sleep immediately came back and the other sxs lessened.

This drug is no joke that it holds this kind of power at half a miligram. I'm astounded.

I'm going to stabilize on .6 and then start to taper down again. I have been dry cutting, but if I need to go much lower, I will likely need to get a compounded liquid.

Just leaving this here in case this information is helpful to anyone else now or sometime in the future. I have benefitted so much from the stories left by those who tapered before us.

Stay strong y'all!

openroad

Hi Openroad,

I appreciate your update.

Sounds like you made a good self-care choice because there is nothing fun about suffering.

You've done such a good job tapering that I'm sure you will be able to work your way off Mirt again.

FH

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you think. I believe I may be having my first taste of Mirt withdrawal. I forgot to take my dose (1.94mg atm) on Friday and on Saturday I felt a little light headed but otherwise ok. Took my regular dose again on Saturday night, but on Sunday I started having waves of nausea hit me and developed diarrhea. Monday was a bit better, but then yesterday was much like Sunday, along with post-covid POTS hitting me hard. I had waves of nausea come over me several times and I woke up 2 hours into sleep trembling. I was running to the toilet all night and threw up in the morning, I haven’t vomited since before I took Mirt. 😕

It’s so confusing because I can’t be sure if it’s a long covid flare up, but my other long covid “bad days” didn’t quite feel like this, and when I was throwing up, I remembered the Mirt dose I forgot to take on Friday, and wondered whether I could be having some withdrawal. Any thoughts? I feel pretty gross, uncomfortable & anxious rn. 😩

Slowphie -

That sounds super unpleasant! I’m sorry you’re dealing with that. It could be related to the mirtazapine. It could be w/d or it could even be that the mirtazapine was helping with some of the long covid sxs, and then when you didn’t take it, you felt worse.

I can vouch for this stuff still having power at very low doses.

If it’s w/d, you’ll be ok in a few days. Just keep taking your dose, and you should even out. If you don’t feel better in a few days, it may not have to do with the mirt.

Keep us posted, ok?

Hi All -

Stay strong y'all!

openroad

Openroad take it from someone who made the bad decision to jump because I could not stabilize. You made a wise decision.

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you think. I believe I may be having my first taste of Mirt withdrawal. I forgot to take my dose (1.94mg atm) on Friday and on Saturday I felt a little light headed but otherwise ok. Took my regular dose again on Saturday night, but on Sunday I started having waves of nausea hit me and developed diarrhea. Monday was a bit better, but then yesterday was much like Sunday, along with post-covid POTS hitting me hard. I had waves of nausea come over me several times and I woke up 2 hours into sleep trembling. I was running to the toilet all night and threw up in the morning, I haven’t vomited since before I took Mirt. 😕

It’s so confusing because I can’t be sure if it’s a long covid flare up, but my other long covid “bad days” didn’t quite feel like this, and when I was throwing up, I remembered the Mirt dose I forgot to take on Friday, and wondered whether I could be having some withdrawal. Any thoughts? I feel pretty gross, uncomfortable & anxious rn. 😩

Hang in there. Give it a few days and I know you will improve.