Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hey all.

Just wanted to say I'm off the remeron and doing ok. I was put into hospital and slowly came off it over 4 weeks.

My last post was a bit doomsday so didn't want to let that be my last one.

My biggest mistake was letting myself believe I would have to taper off this stuff for years after reading the posts here. Everyone is different, some people can come off it ok, others unfortunately have a bad time.

Much respect to those who are still coming off this stuff.

Glad you’re doing so much better. I agree it’s important to get the info we need but not make assumptions about what our individual journeys will be like. I had a horrendous loraz withdrawal but so far, Mirtazapine has been easy for me. I’m hoping it’s the same when I get to 0. I’m at 3.36mg atm and have about 49 weeks of tapering left.

Happy holidays everyone :) I hope you all have a decent time and are able to relax a little. :)

Good to hear some positive feedback about a Mirt taper.

I'm hoping as I get lower, I will feel better.

I usually feel my cuts pretty quickly and then things level out.

Have you felt better as you have gotten lower??

FH

Well, I guess to start with: I don’t feel my Mirtazapine cuts. I haven’t noticed any withdrawal pattern in the last 10 months I’ve been tapering it. Mirt made me feel sedated and sleepy when I’d take it for the first 3-3.5 weeks and then became useless. I was put on it whilst I was being instructed to rapid taper off lorazepam, and by the time I was in acute withdrawal, I could barely sleep and had all the other horrible withdrawal symptoms. So it’s quite frustrating that in my case, Mirt was useless. Thankfully my sleep returned eventually and now I seem to sleep in-spite of this pill and the tapering process.

I even forgot to take it about 2 months ago one evening and got really worried the next morning about what could happen - but nothing happened. I slept normally the evening I forgot to take it. I have felt better as I’ve gotten lower but I think that has more to do with the fact that I’ve been healing from benzo withdrawal. I guess we’ll see what happens when I finally manage to get off Mirt.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your frustration, Mirt has been useless in my case as well.

After my surgery setback I lost my sleep. After trying numerous natural things, I finally caved and tried Trazadone.

Then after a month, I was switched to Mirt.

It maybe gave me about 5 times where I slept. The rest of the time it has actually caused me to feel hyper. So much so that I switched it to the morning. No matter when I take it, I experince flushing of my skin.

I'm now trying to heal my sleep using herbs and natural supplements. 

I do experience wd symptoms when I cut the Mirt.  Mostly crying and low grade depression.

I'm hoping that i will feel better as I have less medication in my system.

Hey “Final healing”, I’m sorry to read about your setback. It’s so frustrating that these medical interventions can cause reactions like this. I really hope I can avoid any pharmaceutical products or surgery for a few years.

Really hope you’ll experience improvements as time passes.

As for the other question, I’m currently cutting 4% per week and will increase to 4.5% next week.

Hey “Final healing”, I’m sorry to read about your setback. It’s so frustrating that these medical interventions can cause reactions like this. I really hope I can avoid any pharmaceutical products or surgery for a few years.

Really hope you’ll experience improvements as time passes.

As for the other question, I’m currently cutting 4% per week and will increase to 4.5% next week.

Thank you Slowphie. It has been very frustrating though I am making progress.

You are really doing well with you taper. To be able to make 4% cuts per week is an achievement. I'm aiming for 4-5% cut every two weeks, depending on how my body reacts. I want to keep moving forward because I haven't been on the med that long.

Wishing you a continued successful taper.

Hi guys, I'm not very active anymore on the forum. I'm still not where I used to be, healthwise, but I'm still tapering. I hate it and I feel every cut. I'm currently on 8.6 mg. but I feel less foggy and sedated after each cut. Hope the weight will come off as well. One day I will be off! Take care everybody. Hugs!!

You will be off one day.

I feel every cut too and am in it today.

The last time I was on Mirt, I was on a dose of 41mgs. I gained 30 lbs very quickly.  The weight started to drop as I go lower and then soon after I stepped off, I dropped 25 lbs in 2 months with no effort.

It is so upsetting to me that I allowed myself to go back on it again. Never again.

FH

Good to hear from you Slowphie and Ox. I'm down to 2.5. Slowly, slowly.

Are both of you dry cutting? Or did you get a compounded liquid? The pill is starting to get pretty small ...!

Tnx for your reply Final Healing. You are doing so well.

Good to hear from you open road, you are so far in your taper! I am still dry cutting and will keep it up till 2 or 3 mg. Went to 8.4 mg on Christmas eve. I will get there, even if it takes years.

Tnx for your reply Final Healing. You are doing so well.

Good to hear from you open road, you are so far in your taper! I am still dry cutting and will keep it up till 2 or 3 mg. Went to 8.4 mg on Christmas eve. I will get there, even if it takes years.

Thanks Oxabuddy.  I don't feel I'm doing well at all because I feel every cut like you do and I'm not sleeping well.

But I am determined to get off this medication, heal from my setback and live life again.

I too am dry cutting and hope to do so all the way to the end.

I hope we can keep this support group active. I know I'm in need of support in getting off and am happy to offer support as well.

Having my first real window in my setback or tapering t with a coating of Remeron haze on top.

I wanted to share because I have felt so scared and depressed about ever feeling like myself again.

I have anxiety about the window because I know it will probably shut at some point due to being in withdrawal. I know that's normal to feel.

I'm going to make an effort to not overdue it today. All I have is a short walk planned.

FH

Good to hear from you Slowphie and Ox. I'm down to 2.5. Slowly, slowly.

Are both of you dry cutting? Or did you get a compounded liquid? The pill is starting to get pretty small ...!

2.5mg is a great accomplishment open! Good on you. I’m still dry cutting, will try to stick to this method until the very end. I suspect I’ll be taking a mere crumb at the finish line. I’ll be going down to 2.94mg tomorrow.

Very impressed with everyone on this board. Lots of folks at 3mg or under and other folks plugging along under 10mg! Endurance and determination are the name of the game. May I have some in the coming months, too!!

2023 is our year, people!!  -Quinn  :)

Wishing everyone a good start to the new year.

Question for those who take DAO. I am eating low histamin, which I like.  I have tried taking DAO with my meals but end up with a runny nose, slight stomach and occasionally sneezing.  Curious if this is a common reaction when people take DAO.

I've gotten into the 6s and am looking forward to making it into the 5s with Mirt.

Fh

[84...]

Question for those who take DAO. I am eating low histamin, which I like.  I have tried taking DAO with my meals but end up with a runny nose, slight stomach and occasionally sneezing.  Curious if this is a common reaction when people take DAO.

I've gotten into the 6s and am looking forward to making it into the 5s with Mirt.

Fh

What are you eating. I think DAO needs to be taken 15 minutes before a meal.

Fh

That reaction sounds more like a histamine reaction than a DAO reaction. aidenhome2009 poses a good question about timing of the DAO consumption. The DAO I take is a vegetarian version, I find it is a bit lighter on my system than the animal-based versions: https://naturdao.com/en/ But the packaging clearly states it needs to be taken 5 minutes prior to food ingestion. If I deviate from that and eat too quickly, it doesn't seem to offer me the full benefits of the DAO histamine mitigation.

Keep up the good work, all and hang in there.

Dave

Fh

That reaction sounds more like a histamine reaction than a DAO reaction. aidenhome2009 poses a good question about timing of the DAO consumption. The DAO I take is a vegetarian version, I find it is a bit lighter on my system than the animal-based versions: https://naturdao.com/en/ But the packaging clearly states it needs to be taken 5 minutes prior to food ingestion. If I deviate from that and eat too quickly, it doesn't seem to offer me the full benefits of the DAO histamine mitigation.

Keep up the good work, all and hang in there.

Dave

Thank you for your response Dave. So you took or take the DAO even if the meal you are eating is low histamine?

I'm thinking that it was helpful for the Mirt taper even if the meal was low.

Having you stop by and offer your support is deeply appreciated.  This thread is not as active as it was when you were tapering.

Hope you pop in again from time to time.

FH

Fh

What are you eating. I think DAO needs to be taken 15 minutes before a meal.

[/quote

I think the day I took the DAO was with a more rice based dish.

Thanks for you question. I don't think I timed the DAO correctly.  Now I will time it better.

Are you tapering or off of Mirt?

FH

Thank you for your response Dave. So you took or take the DAO even if the meal you are eating is low histamine?

Having you stop by and offer your support is deeply appreciated.  This thread is not as active as it was when you were tapering.

FH

Hi FH,

So I didn't learn about DAO until much later in my taper. That said, I took it towards the end and still take it today periodically, as my histamine receptors, while having healed profoundly, are still not back to their factory settings.

I think there is value in taking DAO with all meals during times of high histamine sensitivity. Even low histamine meals, either via histamine liberation or due to the foods containing histamine themselves, have the potential to overflow the histamine "bucket" and cause symptoms when sensitivity is at peak. For me, this can happen during allergy season when environmental histamine is high, and certainly during mirtazapine tapering, the potential for higher histamine sensitivity is more profound. I also find I am more sensitive to histamine when my immune system if fighting a pathogen.

I'd say a good rule of thumb would be to use DAO more regularly when foods are causing frequent histamine symptoms. But when you can get away without, then good to refrain as well.

I'm glad to help, it's been a long time since I stopped by.

Hang in there,

Dave

FH

Hi FH,

So I didn't learn about DAO until much later in my taper. That said, I took it towards the end and still take it today periodically, as my histamine receptors, while having healed profoundly, are still not back to their factory settings.

I think there is value in taking DAO with all meals during times of high histamine sensitivity. Even low histamine meals, either via histamine liberation or due to the foods containing histamine themselves, have the potential to overflow the histamine "bucket" and cause symptoms when sensitivity is at peak. For me, this can happen during allergy season when environmental histamine is high, and certainly during mirtazapine tapering, the potential for higher histamine sensitivity is more profound. I also find I am more sensitive to histamine when my immune system if fighting a pathogen.

I'd say a good rule of thumb would be to use DAO more regularly when foods are causing frequent histamine symptoms. But when you can get away without, then good to refrain as well.

Hang in there,

Dave

I take my DAO right at bedtime and first thing when I get up in the morning on an empty stomach. It has done more for my withdrawal symptoms this way than taking it with food. But I don't seem to have any histamine food sensitivities that I notice, although I know food adds to the histamine bucket.

FH

Hi FH,

Hang in there,

Dave

I take my DAO right at bedtime and first thing when I get up in the morning on an empty stomach. It has done more for my withdrawal symptoms this way than taking it with food. But I don't seem to have any histamine food sensitivities that I notice, although I know food adds to the histamine bucket.

That is so interesting and another way to take.

I haven't had histamine issues with food but I'm eating low histamine to help with my taper. If DAO helps with withdrawal symptoms and makes tapering easier, then I'm in.

Thanks for sharing.

FH

After some very hard days of withdrawal, I'm starting to stabilize. I did too big of a cut too fast so I won't be doing that again.

Because I'm recovering from a setback, I never feel really great though I had a few hours of feeling normal last night before I went too bed. Didnt sleep but that is my pattern for now.

Plan to cut in about a week and still trying to figure out how I will taper going forward. I won't do a single big cut but maybe two smaller cuts.  Can't wait to get out of the 6's.

Read on a thread, which I now can't find that we heal as we taper down. It was referring to benzos but I'm choosing to believe it applies to Mirt as well.

Hope everyone else is doing all right.

FH

Hi there,

I was advised to taper my Remeron dose and directed to this string, so here I am—hope to see all of us recover!

I was put on Remeron for sleep and eating (and as an antidepressant.) First she had me go up from 15 mg to 20 mg and then to (I think! Brain fog here!) 45 mg. At 45 mg my longstanding RLS went nuts. I dropped down quickly and landed at 15 mg. The psych doc who put me on it shrugged a few weeks later and said to stay on it or not, up to me. She tried a lot of A/D's on me and the only thing that I didn't violently react to was Lactimal 25 mg. It made me able to say no the the blackest thoughts, although it definitely made me edgier and kind crabby inside. But I didn't act on it; still, not fun. I would rather have something that made me happier!

After a couple of months I dropped the Mirtazepene to 7.5 mg. The first day I felt great and then the second day suddenly I felt AWFUL. Same for several days. I didn't put two and two together. I kept dropping until I hit 3.75 mg, and talked to the psych doctor again. She only prescribes. I get these 15-20 minute televisits. This time I told her where I was and she made that quick-intake-breath-through-teeth. You know, the one that means you're on a precipice, LOOK OUT!!! I found her advice confusing. (Especially when I complained about not feeling happy. She told me to get a cat. It was funny but freaky because she meant it.)

So I held for a few months at 3.75 mg. I was starting to feel pretty darn good—well, comparatively, after being off Clonazepam for four months! A whole lot better than I'd been feeling, finally. So I thought I'd get rid of the Mirtazepine and then the Lactimal (Lamotrigine).

I made a cut of about 11%. Tough to make accurate cuts; I have a jeweler's scale though. I've been feeling as bad as I did three months ago, which was unexpected. So I think the next cuts will be smaller.

Any feedback or advice? Thank you!