Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

@hotcoldhotcold -

I have basically been tapering .1 increments at a time since I hit about 4mg. It’s just been easier for me that way. For a while, I was going down .1mg every 8 days or so, but now I’m doing it about every month b/c I had a bad temporary crash last month after trying to jump.

So my plans is .5 for a month, .4 for a month, etc. all the way down to .1 and then walk off.

Hope that makes sense! So silly to draw this out but we’re all so sensitized at this point!

Hey, I totally get it! I'm trying like crazy to be free of this stuff but my body is still like a high strung chipmunk. Whacked out.

Are you dry cutting or using a liquid taper?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, can I ask why you all decided to quit mirtazapine?

It helped me through acute; it helped my sleep and helped me eat. I'd lost 40 pounds. My doctor tried to get me up to a therapeutic dose but at 30 mg it made things worse. So I went back down to 15 mg. It no longer helped my sleep much, and I was eating too much by then, so I halved the amount and then halved it again. Now I'm going much more slowly.

In short, it just stopped helping. The sedating qualities didn't help my sleep. I was sooooo tired every day. I knew the mirtazepine wouldn't help me have more energy, that's for sure! So there was no reason to stay on it, and several reasons to stop. Which is harder than I expected.  :idiot:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, can I ask why you all decided to quit mirtazapine?

Anticholinergic drugs like antihistamines can cause memory loss when used long term. Truthfully, there are no studies showing that any of these drugs are safe to take long term. No studies looking at use longer than 1 year. Drug companies don't do those studies.

Hello my dear friends,how are you all doing, I am again with you. After my car has been collapsed by a weird flood, I couldnt manage the condition and my CNS has been disrupted. I tried not to stick to the problems but rude people made it worse in this process. My problem has been greatly solved, they will pay the price but the problem it brought is making the things a little hard. It seems my sleep also was disrupted by that such that other problems also appeared with. Trying to understand what I could to solve that, even I thought to take my old friend Prozac that I could tolerate well in the past. But then I remembered my CNS is still in the effect of Histamine receptors and I havent wanted to add a new SSRI which could make it worse. So then as most people did in the past, I resorted again remeron at 3.75 mg. I know many people who did that with sucsess. As I see I terminated my taper 6 mg to 0 in a short lime like 6 months, it is not a thing about to worry. Once I get some stabilization and cease the sleep problem which cause the other problems, I will try to be far away from stress in my future life. You know tapering for me was a child's play after I got through half the way. Pray for me to get a stabilized and happy life again

Hello my dear friends,how are you all doing, I am again with you. After my car has been collapsed by a weird flood, I couldnt manage the condition and my CNS has been disrupted. I tried not to stick to the problems but rude people made it worse in this process. My problem has been greatly solved, they will pay the price but the problem it brought is making the things a little hard. It seems my sleep also was disrupted by that such that other problems also appeared with. Trying to understand what I could to solve that, even I thought to take my old friend Prozac that I could tolerate well in the past. But then I remembered my CNS is still in the effect of Histamine receptors and I havent wanted to add a new SSRI which could make it worse. So then as most people did in the past, I resorted again remeron at 3.75 mg. I know many people who did that with sucsess. As I see I terminated my taper 6 mg to 0 in a short lime like 6 months, it is not a thing about to worry. Once I get some stabilization and cease the sleep problem which cause the other problems, I will try to be far away from stress in my future life. You know tapering for me was a child's play after I got through half the way. Pray for me to get a stabilized and happy life again

I hope you have been able to stabilize.  There are many people, myself included, who turned to Mirtazapine for sleep issues.

You sound confident in your ability to taper once you are ready.

Sending you positive thoughts during this time. .

Final Healing

Hi,

I started taking mirtazapine 7.5 mg for help sleeping back in late Sept. 2022. I had successfully gone off of clonazapem in early Apr. 2022 and had difficulty sleeping around that time. My doctor gave me doxepin to help with sleep and it did but eventually he suggested supplemented with mirtazapine. It's been 9 months and I don't think it is helping me much with sleep. I started taking 3/4 of a tablet (5.625 mg) the past two nights. It's hard to reduce by less than 1/4 bc the tablet is so small. I am taking magnesium and melatonin to help with sleep and they do help. I'd appreciate any advice. I plan to stay at 5.625 mg for a length of time probably four weeks or so. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

katyee8

Anybody have advice on how low to go on Mirt before jumping? I'm at 1.3 mg and that little chip is getting hard to measure. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet but oh, man, I hate to feel bad again, even for two weeks.

Any experienced jumpers here?

Hi,

I started taking mirtazapine 7.5 mg for help sleeping back in late Sept. 2022. I had successfully gone off of clonazapem in early Apr. 2022 and had difficulty sleeping around that time. My doctor gave me doxepin to help with sleep and it did but eventually he suggested supplemented with mirtazapine. It's been 9 months and I don't think it is helping me much with sleep. I started taking 3/4 of a tablet (5.625 mg) the past two nights. It's hard to reduce by less than 1/4 bc the tablet is so small. I am taking magnesium and melatonin to help with sleep and they do help. I'd appreciate any advice. I plan to stay at 5.625 mg for a length of time probably four weeks or so. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

katyee8

Hi Kaytee8,

The general advice for tapering any medication is to make 10% cuts or less every 2-4 weeks. This allows for your brain and body  to adjust to the reduction without throwing you into acute withdrawal.

Tapering involves using some consistent method, either dry cutting your pill or making a liquid and using a syringe.

If you decide to dry cut, which is the method I use, you will need a scale and a pill cutter.  I used this scale and many people do as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-GEM20-Precision-Milligram/dp/B00ESHDGOI/ref=asc_df_B00ESHDGOI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134584690&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15878236549294352055&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060351&hvtargid=pla-304071963067&psc=1

A member on this thread named Openroad mentioned a really good pill cutter, which I got and it's made my pill cutting much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/EqualSplit-Splitter-Crafted-Medical-Aluminum/dp/B07MH6XTL7/ref=mp_s_a_1_36?crid=15OMATTFFSVSU&keywords=pill+cutter&qid=1687815480&sprefix=pill+%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-36

If you decide to do a liquid taper, you can always ask for advice on the main tapering thread or maybe someone will post info here.

Lots of people have gotten off of Mirtazapine and you can too.

Final Healing

Anybody have advice on how low to go on Mirt before jumping? I'm at 1.3 mg and that little chip is getting hard to measure. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet but oh, man, I hate to feel bad again, even for two weeks.

Hi Hot & Cold,

While I have not jumped from Mirt yet, I did it once before.

Jumping is a personal decision but I would not jump above 1mg. Most people jump at different mgs once they get below the 1mg mark.

I get how tedious tapering is and have wanted to jump many times. I just keep reminding myself that jumping too high would potentially sabotage all my efforts.

FH

Thanks, Final! I went back on the Remeron string and found a chart with histamine levels and serotonin levels at different Remeron strengths. Yikes! It stays potent until you're well under .05 mg. I can't really wrap my head around the serotonin part but anyway, it looks like it's better to jump at .10 mg or under.

I came on this string a while ago and learned I was going too fast, and followed the directions I was given. It really helped me, so I'll keep going slow. It's tiresome but overall I'm feeling a lot better and am not ready to go back into purgatory just yet. We have summer visitors on the horizon; week after week of them and I need to be okay!

I bought some GABA sprouted brown rice and a Russian natural ed called mexidol. I'm so ready!  But not yet!

First guest is here!  Thanks so much!!

You're welcome.

Try not to get too hung up on all the information about Mirt out there. It's great to have data but we are also unique in our tapering journeys. I've know people who jumped just below 1 mg and were fine. I'm not telling you to do that, I'm just saying that we have to also trust ourselves and our bodies.

FH

@[ho...]

I don’t understand how for some of us it’s like this. But if you go even farther back in the thread, you can see how others had the same issue.

I’m going to take it down to probably .10.

Good luck - you’re almost there!!

@hotcold - if you go back just a bit on this thread, you’ll see I tried to jump at .8 and got terrible sxs a few weeks out. I went back on and they resolved. Now I’m at .4. I’m doing ok. Have a compounded liquid and taking it slow.

I don’t understand how for some of us it’s like this. But if you go even farther back in the thread, you can see how others had the same issue.

I’m going to take it down to probably .10.

Good luck - you’re almost there!!

Thank you! Earlier I went from 15 to 7.5 in one jump. A few weeks later I went from 7.5 to 3.5.  At that point, I wasn't sure if I felt lousy because of the benzo recovery thing or the Mirtazepine. I kept titrating down in smaller increments but I guess I went too fast; felt worse and worse. I found this thread and was advised to go a lot slower and to even updose. I usually have this stoic thing going on that I'd never updose, but this time I did. It was the tiniest amount imaginable, but I did feel better quickly and knew then and there I had to go slowly.

But I always do this: I start feeling better and think I can take more on than I can. But I'm going to bite the bullet and micro-taper. I still am not myself, but once or twice I've felt close to it. Those brief shining moments were great.

I thought I'd prepare for my mirt jump and bought something called Mexidol. It's a natural Russian supplement that is supposed to calm people going through withdrawals. I also have something called clonidine, a prescription med for the same thing.  I also bought some GABA sprouted brown rice, which for some people made a big difference in their recovery, because it addresses the gut's ability to produce more GABA. 

So you see I'm armed and prepped. Turns out instead what I need is an eyedropper  :laugh:. Okay, mirt, coming' at you bro!!

Glad to hear you were able to address your issue. I totally am with you in both camps, get me outta here but not so fast! Will be calling the compounding Pharma tomorrow and messaging my dr.

God bless!!

It is quite easy to do with liquid. I used 2 syringes. One of them 2 or 2.5 ml syringe. The other one was/is 1 ml(diabetic) syringe. I was taking first to 2 ml, then taking it into 1 ml. Diabetic has 100 part. 100 part corresponds to 15 mg and that means every section has 0.15 mg. By doing so I had no problem.

Now I am trying to stabilize at 10 mg. Wish me luck.

It is quite easy to do with liquid. I used 2 syringes. One of them 2 or 2.5 ml syringe. The other one was/is 1 ml(diabetic) syringe. I was taking first to 2 ml, then taking it into 1 ml. Diabetic has 100 part. 100 part corresponds to 15 mg and that means every section has 0.15 mg. By doing so I had no problem.

Now I am trying to stabilize at 10 mg. Wish me luck.

Well, good luck to you times ten! It's helpful to understand about the syringes, thanks you! Very helpful.

Openroad, I tried the clonidine one day and was practically knocked out, but it relaxed me quite a bit. I was glad when it wore off.

There's just no drug that helps, I know. Just trying to lighten my load a bit!

Thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:

Hey guys, I too have had a very rough go of trying to get off Remeron, pretty much worse than the Klonopin.  I'm having a hard time telling if what I'm experiencing is SXS of being on two antidepressants or from wds as i was put on the Rem the same day i jumped off benzos.  I never restablized on the Remeron after my initial cut back in March.  In fact, I have been unstable this whole yr pretty much, despite getting back on a benzo and all for a time.  Is there anyway to tell if you're having an adverse reaction to the medication or perhaps serotonin syndrome or if it's withdrawal? 

Hey guys, I too have had a very rough go of trying to get off Remeron, pretty much worse than the Klonopin.  I'm having a hard time telling if what I'm experiencing is SXS of being on two antidepressants or from wds as i was put on the Rem the same day i jumped off benzos.  I never restablized on the Remeron after my initial cut back in March.  In fact, I have been unstable this whole yr pretty much, despite getting back on a benzo and all for a time.  Is there anyway to tell if you're having an adverse reaction to the medication or perhaps serotonin syndrome or if it's withdrawal?

All the things you lived related to remeron were due to 2 reason to me. First, the changes you made about the dosage. The other one is the antihistamine way of this stuff. When someone takes this one, he/she is easily being affected by histamine high or histamine liberating foods. Most people who say rem wd is bad even dont know the word of "histamine". Yes, the things are not easy on this stuff, but you could make it easy. You could look at that;

https://www.mastzellaktivierung.info/downloads/foodlist/21_FoodList_EN_alphabetic_withCateg.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjxm8yZ4e__AhVMVfEDHfbqCVsQFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3BOdQNOvizx9FTAOVLvIDN

Ugh that link isn't working but I would love to look into it.  So you really think food could be doing this bcuz I have not watched my diet at all.  I'd love to make this easier on myself without a doubt!

Looks like I'll be joining this community soon, though hopefully not for long.

Currently on 45mg mirtazapine and planning to start 30mg duloxetine. In order to do so I'll be lowering my mirt dose to 30mg.

Mirt was actually probably better at a lower dose for me. It's done wonders for depression, but at a lower dose it helped my sleep more. It was a relief to know when I was having an anxious day I could take a mirt and be asleep immediately almost.

So yeah, I'm going to try and make a big 15mg reduction. Give it a day or two, then start the duloxeti e

Obviously if I encounter problems, I'll go back up to 45mg and begin a slower taper. But my initial attitude is that I dint wanna make this a longer process than it needs to be. If I'm one of the lucky ones who can reduce quickly, I will. Hopefully starting the duloxetine will smooth out some of those problem's if there are any, as it gives serotonin too.

I've never had problem's coming off meds, benzos aside, in the past. Citalopram and sertraline gave me no issues.

Wish me luck!

Ugh that link isn't working but I would love to look into it.  So you really think food could be doing this bcuz I have not watched my diet at all.  I'd love to make this easier on myself without a doubt!

If you click on the image of the British Flag that says site map, you will find information.

Or you could look up, low histamine foods or diet and it will give you the foods that are low and high in histamine. I also take a vegetarian formula of DAO. It was recommended to me by a member here and I have found it helpful. I don't normally have a histamine issue but decided to take it during my Mirtazapine withdrawal. I believe it has helped with my withdrawal symptoms. Here is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/NATURDAO-Vegetable-Deficiency-Histamine-Intolerance/dp/B08R5ZVG4L

FH

If you click on the image of the British Flag that says site map, you will find information.

Or you could look up, low histamine foods or diet and it will give you the foods that are low and high in histamine. I also take a vegetarian formula of DAO. It was recommended to me by a member here and I have found it helpful. I don't normally have a histamine issue but decided to take it during my Mirtazapine withdrawal. I believe it has helped with my withdrawal symptoms. Here is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/NATURDAO-Vegetable-Deficiency-Histamine-Intolerance/dp/B08R5ZVG4L

FH

Hey Final!!! Jeff here. I haven't been on BB's for....a LONG time! I got an email today that reminded me of BB's, so I decided to jump on to see if I could find you. Things are ok at my end. 27 years total of high-dose benzo as well as a 5-year or so brutal taper. Thank God I'm off that stuff!! When you get a chance, let me know how you're doing these days. Hugs to you!!!

FH

Hey Final!!! Jeff here. I haven't been on BB's for....a LONG time! I got an email today that reminded me of BB's, so I decided to jump on to see if I could find you. Things are ok at my end. 27 years total of high-dose benzo as well as a 5-year or so brutal taper. Thank God I'm off that stuff!! When you get a chance, let me know how you're doing these days. Hugs to you!!!

Hey Jeff,

Its good to hear from you and thanks for checking in. I remember you finally got off and you deserve all the good the life has to offer.  You just kept going during that hard taper and continued to offer hope to others. So glad you are on the other side.

I'm doing okay despite the fact that I am tapering a medication again. I had been off benzos for 15 months and was doing well when I had to have unexpected surgery.  Even though I asked for no benzos, floriquinoline antibiotics or opiates, I was given a steroid and another antibiotics along with the general anesthesia. Had no idea till I got very sick.

I went into a huge setback after about 2 weeks and it took me down for 6 months. The symptoms were worse than my original benzo taper. Besides anhedonia, which is one of the worst things that ever happened to me, I also couldn't sleep. So I ended up on Mirtazapine again. Unfortunately, it really didn't work well so I started tapering after 7 weeks.

The good news is that my brain healed from the setback after 6 and 1/2 months and I'm now down from 7.5mgs to 2.7mgs of Mirtazapine. Once I got my brain back, things got better.

So, I'm in a good frame of mind. It has gotten easier to taper as I have gotten lower. I also am able to work more and exercise.

I'm all right and feel optimistic about finally being med free again.

I hope you and doing well too and thanks again for checking in.

FH