What is happening in your brain?

[pa...]

Hi Mimi,

Thanks for sending that link. i read through a little of it. i am really confused about all this right now after reading so many article by Peat and Dr. Guy Shenker? i'm going to still do a lot of research about it. i've been doing a lot of research about Fermented Cod Liver Oil too.

i guess the link you sent is basically saying that it's still good to eat fish and to take Omega's and Essential Fatty Acid's and Fish Oils? i just skimmed it and will read it through tomorrow on Turkey Day.

Happy ThanksGiving!

Pretty

prettydaisys again ~

okay, well, now i'm a little annoyed that i read so many articles by Dr. Ray Peat & Dr. Guy Shenker who are both against all PUFA's. that means all fish oil, all oils period! and i am assuming they also mean nuts and seeds and seed oil like sesame which is known for wonderful detoxifying Auyervdic and PanchaKarma Treatments. and i'm wondering about nut butters, seed butters?

and i'm also freaking out because as an Esthetician i use so many different oils in my treatments and for facial massage like Evening Primorse Oil, almond & Avacado Oils and JoJoba oil.

and i know that those 2 mad Scientist Doc's don't think it's beneficial to put a so call toxin on the skin as skin's absorbs way more than ingesting it. they just call everything a PUFA! so now when i look at my skin and see those dark hyper pigment area's, i say in the mirror, 'that's from a PUFA' because that is what Peat say they are. he says age pigment are from PUFA's.

so i don't really know what to do just yet? i did get some really good Coconut Oil from Garden of Life and i will definitely start that.

but i was taking about 5 grams of fish oil by Minami Nutrition Mor 03 and i would cut the softgel and suck out the oil, so as to not have anything but the pure oil.

and i was also taking really great Flax Oil from a pure source and also a EFA formula all of which i've stopped because of the finding's/articles from Peat and Shenker.

oh and i was also taking Carlson's Fish Oil nad Carlson's Vitamin D. i've been taking a lot of different oils because i was diagnosed with MS and i heard that fish, cod and Vit. D were good for rebuilding the mylien sheath.

and even though i am unsure if i really do have MS or if all of this is possibly from benzo's, that remains to be seen.

still, i am upset that i don't know enough about it and is it safe?

i will do plenty more research about this as long as possible and also read the whole link that Mimi sent in detail. but it's almost 2am and now i'ssss goiwwwnnna goes to seeeps and hopefully dreams of keanu reeves.http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/flirt/flirting-lips-smiley-emoticon.gif

he's really helping me get through this withdrawal. nope i don't mind laying in bed all day. nope nope.http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/kiss/funny.gif

but i do really want to have the full on right information about these oils? i really do!

g'night

Happy ThanksGiving ~ pretty

Thanks Mimi - for that link....lots of info there and I plan to read it all...I have not read the Reg Peart info and from reading just the comments on it, I am afraid to - as I have just started taking fish oil....and was confident it would help.  Such a dilemna in knowing who to believe....sure doesn't help the anxiety.  But thank you so much for your input.

Hoping2BFree

I think we can use a little common sense when it comes to fish oil.

Too much of anything is probably a bad gig. But some things are essential, too.

For every Ray Peat who doesn't like fish oil, there are very good docs who do - like Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Barry Sears.

Weil is a Harvard grad and has a dual-practice with alternative medicine and Western medicine. He's written tons of books. Same with Sears.

Ray Peat may have a point that fish oil isn't the end-all be-all miracle for everything, however, many prominant physicians feel it is absolutely a part of an essential diet. (He's a professor, but not a doctor -from what his own website says.)

I think the common sense is just looking at the reviews of folks who were helped by fish oil. There are lots of reviews for all kinds of brain-related issues - including mood, apraxia, bipolar, etc.

So if you want to try it, it's probably a safe bet. There's plenty of evidence, study-related and anecdotal - that it helps folks feel better. :)  And you'll only know if it helps YOU feel better.  If it makes you feel worse, you're not gonna take it anyhow! :)

No worries.  I think it's easy to get scared reading anything.

:)Parker

Thank you so much for your WONDERFUL post!!!!!  That is one of the most comprehensive enlightening posts I have read throughout this arduous journey. :thumbsup:

I wonder why some of us have a much easier time than others.  I would really appreciate your insight. 

Charlie :smitten:

WARNING for Charlie or anyone else who does not want to read something that might be discouraging to you: PART OF THIS REPLY HAS SOME INFO IN IT THAT MAY DISTURB SOMEONE WHO IS SUFFERING BENZO WITHDRAWALS.  IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO READING INTENSE THINGS, PLEASE STOP NOW AND DO NOT READ THIS POST.  I DO NOT WANT TO SCARE YOU OR MAKE YOUR SYMPTOMS WORSE OR DISCOURAGE YOU IN ANY WAY.  I KNOW WHAT THAT FEELS LIKE SO IF THIS APPLIES TO YOU, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT.......DO NOT READ THIS REPLY IF IT DOES...THANK YOU.

I truly believe this is due to the amount of time one has taken benzos more than any other factor besides other meds taken (polydrugging).  There are probably thousands of other factors involved as we all live completely different lives and expose ourselves to different foods, chemicals, drugs, from living in different upbringings and living in different environments and also whether we were exposed to things that worked against us at a very young age during the developmental stages of life and growing up, etc....and our morals and belief systems and how they can have a serious affect on how intense the emotional parts of this can be.

I could name hundreds of factors without effort, but I think the MAIN ONE is the amount of time spent taking the benzo.

PS - Thanks to you, Parker for such an encouraging post. 

I just want to add that some akathisia is so bad and lasts so long, it can kill a person.  Akathisia is one of the main reasons people commit suicide.  It is the one symptom that can get so bad, no human can endure it.  This is what happened to me.  I had to reinstate to save my life and I was too paranoid to try taking another drug like remeron or something that could have helped me endure the akathisia (if it is not permanent) that may have been able to help me endure the suffering of akathisia long enough to heal enough to stay off benzos.  I had the dry heaves for 18 hours a day for two months.  I should have died and I can't prove it, but I know I would have had I not reinstated.  The torment from this akathisia was so intense, I had to beat my arms and legs with a brass pole (almost breaking the bone) for weeks and my entire body was covered with yellow bruises and all this to try to endure the akathisia and insomnia that kept getting worse for months. 

I thought my stomach was going to come out of my mouth.  My gut was so sore from 18 hours a day of dry heaves, the pain was excruciating.  I believe it is possible that I may have been saved from reinstating had I not been so TERRIFIED to take ANY medication after that experience.  It is also important to keep in mind that I was on a high power old school seizure med called Dilantin that I was trying to get off of at the time.  Nevertheless, my PTSD symptoms from this VERY NEAR DEATH experience haunt me so much, I am now convinced I could never get off and stay off benzos and live.  I hope I'm wrong.  It's the same as talking to a doctor who does not understand the seriousness of LONG TERM benzo use due to ignorance on their part and my part.  I believe akathisia is the number one cause of suicides in the USA.  I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.  A person could only take this amount of torture for so long.  If you have never felt it, maybe it is because you have never been on benzos long term with a seizure med, too.

Parker, I want you to know, I really appreciate you writing this for us.  Please forgive me for sharing this detailed information on your post, but one of the reasons I did it was to let people know who are long term klonopin users or benzo users who end up experiencing the same thing I did so maybe they will seek an alternative to reinstating and not make the same mistakes I did.

I believe in healing after benzos and I don't want to discourage anyone by my comments here.  Most people have not taken benzos as long as I have and will suffer, but will recover.  I'm also not trying to imply that short or shorter term users do not suffer just as much....I'm just trying to say there is an aspect of benzo withdrawals and tolerance and post acute withdrawals that many people don't recognize that is real and more severe after extreme long term use.  I was nearly as horrified of trying to take another med to endure what I had no idea was akathisia at the time I reinstated as I was of dying.  I wish I would have tried another med to stay off benzos.  I'm not promoting taking other meds while taking benzos and I'm not promoting taking other meds at all, but when it comes to death and dying, and being moments away from the end, it is impossible to make these decisions while in this state.  That is why I decided to make this post so that maybe some long term user who gets THE WORST KIND of akathisia might save his/her own life without reinstating and adding YEARS, if not A LIFETIME of additional unbearable non stop suffering.

Readers, please don't be upset with me or discouraged or afraid by reading my post.  The MASS MAJORITY of people who have taken benzos....even long term DO RECOVER and are able to live their life without benzos, so take what Parker has written here to heart.  I wish someone would have read this to me when I was having my near death post benzo experience when I reinstated at 7 months out.  I swore on pain of death, I would not EVER take another benzo, and I meant it, but was unable to endure the pain.

It's not over yet, and I thank God for people like Parker who have worked hard and taken the time to write something that could help many people get through benzo withdrawals or perhaps even save their life.....giving them the necessary hope not to give up.  That is what her post has done for me.

Parker, if you learn more about the akathisia part of this with regards to the torment that I have spoken about, please let me know because the main med prescribed for akathisia is benzos and mostly KLONOPIN which I have been on for almost 22 years now.  I've tried other AD's and Remeron is the only one I can tolerate (I only take 1/4 of a pill of it because more increases my akathisia and anxiety, etc.) but you seem to be really on top of things and I need more hope about the akathisia part of this because if I get off benzos only to face the same fate as before or even worse, there is no way I will survive this.  I guess you could say I'm desperately seeking a "back up plan" when the time comes when I have to face this again.  Ironically, Remeron is the 2nd most prescribed medicine for akathisia and the meds that help it also can CAUSE IT when taken long term.  I've already tried seizure meds and SSRI's, and SNRI's and they just made my akathisia MUCH WORSE and I simply could not tolerate them.

Deep down, I know I'm going to need a specific med to have on hand to get me through this part after I get to the low doses or perhaps after I get off the benzos (Lord willing)......I am just desperate and reaching out for help for advice in this area.....the TIME theory is true for most people, but not in my case with akathisia.  I'm going to need a backup plan because I already tried enduring the time, and it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to do so.  This is why I have PTSD and am so dismayed and discouraged and don't think I will ever be able to live benzo free.

I have not given up though.  I'm still trying my best every day to get off benzos again in spite of all I have been through and am going through. 

Just please let me know if you can find out more about SEVERE AKATHISIA and if there is a way to help it at all.  It's a big part and I believe the MAIN PART of why many people fail in trying to taper and end up reinstating.  It is an under emphasized part of this experience and I believe to be the main reason why people like me fail.  Please keep working on your benzo withdrawal research and sharing what you learn with us and please no one be upset with me for writing some things that may have been hard to read.  I did post a warning at the beginning of my reply to give people the opportunity to avoid reading part of my horror story.  The last thing I intend to do is discourage anyone...especially not on an encouraging thread.

Kian

Morning Kian

I have just read what you have written with regards to Akathisia  and if I said that that I had no idea what the word meant until I looked on Google and was somewhat shocked, I was first put on Remeron in April of this year because I had lost a lot of weight and had sleep issues, even though I was then on Nitrazapam 10 mg a benzo sleeping tablet.

I was in a psych hospital when I was put on the Remeron I had c/t and was having w/d sxs but has far as they were concerned I was suffering from depression, I can remember but I don't know how long it was when I started having RLS and I went screaming to the nurses that my legs would not stop, I was writhering about on my bed, I would pace up and down the dormitory and the ward, I was told to stop it or else I would be given  more Valium, but I could not stop my legs

I can remember when I dragged myself to the main office screaming that I can not live like this for the rest of my life and was told if I did not stop screaming they would make me have Valium, I said that is the answer to give people Valium the next thing there was 5 nurses ready to hold me down so that they could inject me with Valium, I reluctantly took a 5 mg tablet.

Hubby would come and visit and thought I had gone mad, I told the nurses that it was the Remeron that was causing it as it was the only drug that I had been given that was new, I had been on the Nitrazepam for over 2 years, but they would not believe me and I was told that it was not the Remeron but I was suffering from agitated depression, some weeks later I was given a leaflet that one gets with your drugs.

And there it was in black and white may cause RLS, I can't put into words how I felt after reading it and pointed it out to the nurses and doctors but they still said I was suffering from agitated depression  I am still on Remeron I am now on 10.5 mg as I had liver and pancreas issues, and once off the benzo as I c/o to Valium ironically from the Nitrazepam will then taper off the Remeron and then the lithium which was added as a mood stabiliser and  I am not bi polar.

DD

Thank you so much for your WONDERFUL post!!!!!  That is one of the most comprehensive enlightening posts I have read throughout this arduous journey. :thumbsup:

I wonder why some of us have a much easier time than others.  I would really appreciate your insight. 

Charlie :smitten:

WARNING for Charlie or anyone else who does not want to read something that might be discouraging to you: PART OF THIS REPLY HAS SOME INFO IN IT THAT MAY DISTURB SOMEONE WHO IS SUFFERING BENZO WITHDRAWALS.  IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO READING INTENSE THINGS, PLEASE STOP NOW AND DO NOT READ THIS POST.  I DO NOT WANT TO SCARE YOU OR MAKE YOUR SYMPTOMS WORSE OR DISCOURAGE YOU IN ANY WAY.  I KNOW WHAT THAT FEELS LIKE SO IF THIS APPLIES TO YOU, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT.......DO NOT READ THIS REPLY IF IT DOES...THANK YOU.

I truly believe this is due to the amount of time one has taken benzos more than any other factor besides other meds taken (polydrugging).  There are probably thousands of other factors involved as we all live completely different lives and expose ourselves to different foods, chemicals, drugs, from living in different upbringings and living in different environments and also whether we were exposed to things that worked against us at a very young age during the developmental stages of life and growing up, etc....and our morals and belief systems and how they can have a serious affect on how intense the emotional parts of this can be.

I could name hundreds of factors without effort, but I think the MAIN ONE is the amount of time spent taking the benzo.

PS - Thanks to you, Parker for such an encouraging post. 

I just want to add that some akathisia is so bad and lasts so long, it can kill a person.  Akathisia is one of the main reasons people commit suicide.  It is the one symptom that can get so bad, no human can endure it.  This is what happened to me.  I had to reinstate to save my life and I was too paranoid to try taking another drug like remeron or something that could have helped me endure the akathisia (if it is not permanent) that may have been able to help me endure the suffering of akathisia long enough to heal enough to stay off benzos.  I had the dry heaves for 18 hours a day for two months.  I should have died and I can't prove it, but I know I would have had I not reinstated.  The torment from this akathisia was so intense, I had to beat my arms and legs with a brass pole (almost breaking the bone) for weeks and my entire body was covered with yellow bruises and all this to try to endure the akathisia and insomnia that kept getting worse for months. 

I thought my stomach was going to come out of my mouth.  My gut was so sore from 18 hours a day of dry heaves, the pain was excruciating.  I believe it is possible that I may have been saved from reinstating had I not been so TERRIFIED to take ANY medication after that experience.  It is also important to keep in mind that I was on a high power old school seizure med called Dilantin that I was trying to get off of at the time.  Nevertheless, my PTSD symptoms from this VERY NEAR DEATH experience haunt me so much, I am now convinced I could never get off and stay off benzos and live.  I hope I'm wrong.  It's the same as talking to a doctor who does not understand the seriousness of LONG TERM benzo use due to ignorance on their part and my part.  I believe akathisia is the number one cause of suicides in the USA.  I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.  A person could only take this amount of torture for so long.  If you have never felt it, maybe it is because you have never been on benzos long term with a seizure med, too.

Parker, I want you to know, I really appreciate you writing this for us.  Please forgive me for sharing this detailed information on your post, but one of the reasons I did it was to let people know who are long term klonopin users or benzo users who end up experiencing the same thing I did so maybe they will seek an alternative to reinstating and not make the same mistakes I did.

I believe in healing after benzos and I don't want to discourage anyone by my comments here.  Most people have not taken benzos as long as I have and will suffer, but will recover.  I'm also not trying to imply that short or shorter term users do not suffer just as much....I'm just trying to say there is an aspect of benzo withdrawals and tolerance and post acute withdrawals that many people don't recognize that is real and more severe after extreme long term use.  I was nearly as horrified of trying to take another med to endure what I had no idea was akathisia at the time I reinstated as I was of dying.  I wish I would have tried another med to stay off benzos.  I'm not promoting taking other meds while taking benzos and I'm not promoting taking other meds at all, but when it comes to death and dying, and being moments away from the end, it is impossible to make these decisions while in this state.  That is why I decided to make this post so that maybe some long term user who gets THE WORST KIND of akathisia might save his/her own life without reinstating and adding YEARS, if not A LIFETIME of additional unbearable non stop suffering.

Readers, please don't be upset with me or discouraged or afraid by reading my post.  The MASS MAJORITY of people who have taken benzos....even long term DO RECOVER and are able to live their life without benzos, so take what Parker has written here to heart.  I wish someone would have read this to me when I was having my near death post benzo experience when I reinstated at 7 months out.  I swore on pain of death, I would not EVER take another benzo, and I meant it, but was unable to endure the pain.

It's not over yet, and I thank God for people like Parker who have worked hard and taken the time to write something that could help many people get through benzo withdrawals or perhaps even save their life.....giving them the necessary hope not to give up.  That is what her post has done for me.

Parker, if you learn more about the akathisia part of this with regards to the torment that I have spoken about, please let me know because the main med prescribed for akathisia is benzos and mostly KLONOPIN which I have been on for almost 22 years now.  I've tried other AD's and Remeron is the only one I can tolerate (I only take 1/4 of a pill of it because more increases my akathisia and anxiety, etc.) but you seem to be really on top of things and I need more hope about the akathisia part of this because if I get off benzos only to face the same fate as before or even worse, there is no way I will survive this.  I guess you could say I'm desperately seeking a "back up plan" when the time comes when I have to face this again.  Ironically, Remeron is the 2nd most prescribed medicine for akathisia and the meds that help it also can CAUSE IT when taken long term.  I've already tried seizure meds and SSRI's, and SNRI's and they just made my akathisia MUCH WORSE and I simply could not tolerate them.

Deep down, I know I'm going to need a specific med to have on hand to get me through this part after I get to the low doses or perhaps after I get off the benzos (Lord willing)......I am just desperate and reaching out for help for advice in this area.....the TIME theory is true for most people, but not in my case with akathisia.  I'm going to need a backup plan because I already tried enduring the time, and it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to do so.  This is why I have PTSD and am so dismayed and discouraged and don't think I will ever be able to live benzo free.

I have not given up though.  I'm still trying my best every day to get off benzos again in spite of all I have been through and am going through. 

Just please let me know if you can find out more about SEVERE AKATHISIA and if there is a way to help it at all.  It's a big part and I believe the MAIN PART of why many people fail in trying to taper and end up reinstating.  It is an under emphasized part of this experience and I believe to be the main reason why people like me fail.  Please keep working on your benzo withdrawal research and sharing what you learn with us and please no one be upset with me for writing some things that may have been hard to read.  I did post a warning at the beginning of my reply to give people the opportunity to avoid reading part of my horror story.  The last thing I intend to do is discourage anyone...especially not on an encouraging thread.

Kian

Hey Kian,

It's totally okay that you shared all of that. This is HARD.  VERY hard.

Klonopin had such an awful reaction to me once I got off of it.  It was unreal. It wasn't exactly like your experience becuase it did not cause akathisia for me early on, but it caused severe emotional and physical trauma that I thought would really kill me. I was on the way to take myself to the hospital when my doctor offered me the Remeron. I had been through it before a year earlier - the same thing - and I DID reinstate. So I understood that I could not reinstate again - and that is why I accepted the Remeron. And for me, it helped. I'm aware it may not help everyone, but I will tell you - that for me - it was like someone gave me a VERY drowsy Benadryl. It just knocked me out and I slept. The whole thing was awful, but the Remeron was a good stand in for reinstating.

Another buddy mentioned Remeron can CAUSE akathisia. I have read this as well. I had this happen to me several times early on when I was on it, but it was only for one night, and I am not sure if it was the Remeron or the benzo withdrawal that was really causing it. It happened after I had taken it at 15mg - but it was not NEARLY as severe as the akathisia I got later on in benzo healing. So - while Remeron can cause akathisia it seems, it was - for me - very mild.  BENZO AKATHISIA is AWFUL.  I do understand that. 

If you have to do it all over again, Remeron may be an option to ask about.  I have no other options to mention, but that is because my experience is limited to my own. I don't have much information as to what to do to "get off benzos" wihtout reinstating.  Other buddies have tried things like microtapering and holding and letting the body heal on the way down as a potential answer to not even NEEDING to worry about reinstating. But it seems like everyone handles it all differently. 

The way I look at it, whatever we have to do to get off and stay off of these drugs is helpful. I'd never judge another person's way of being successful. I had to reinstate the first time I tried - it was too hard. I used Remeron the second time. That helped. But in general, this whole experience is very very difficult for some people (myself included) and just getting through it is a success - however that needs to happen.

Kian - it was 8 months after I reinstated until I was able to try to get off benzos again.  It took me those 8 months to again hit tolerance.  But I've been off 14 months now since that second time I jumped.  So don't think it's not possible at some point.

In the meantime, don't beat yourself up either.  :smitten:  You did what you had to do to survive.  And everyone understands that.  Your story shows how very difficult benzo withdrawal can be - and while some people dont' have it that hard, others like me, did.  So what you shared does not alarm me at all. 

In time, you can decide what is best for you and what you most want to do.  Getting off the benzo or staying on it - or whatever is best.  You can make that choice when you're ready.

:smitten: Parker

Morning Kian

I have just read what you have written with regards to Akathisia  and if I said that that I had no idea what the word meant until I looked on Google and was somewhat shocked, I was first put on Remeron in April of this year because I had lost a lot of weight and had sleep issues, even though I was then on Nitrazapam 10 mg a benzo sleeping tablet.

I was in a psych hospital when I was put on the Remeron I had c/t and was having w/d sxs but has far as they were concerned I was suffering from depression, I can remember but I don't know how long it was when I started having RLS and I went screaming to the nurses that my legs would not stop, I was writhering about on my bed, I would pace up and down the dormitory and the ward, I was told to stop it or else I would be given  more Valium, but I could not stop my legs

I can remember when I dragged myself to the main office screaming that I can not live like this for the rest of my life and was told if I did not stop screaming they would make me have Valium, I said that is the answer to give people Valium the next thing there was 5 nurses ready to hold me down so that they could inject me with Valium, I reluctantly took a 5 mg tablet.

Hubby would come and visit and thought I had gone mad, I told the nurses that it was the Remeron that was causing it as it was the only drug that I had been given that was new, I had been on the Nitrazepam for over 2 years, but they would not believe me and I was told that it was not the Remeron but I was suffering from agitated depression, some weeks later I was given a leaflet that one gets with your drugs.

And there it was in black and white may cause RLS, I can't put into words how I felt after reading it and pointed it out to the nurses and doctors but they still said I was suffering from agitated depression  I am still on Remeron I am now on 10.5 mg as I had liver and pancreas issues, and once off the benzo as I c/o to Valium ironically from the Nitrazepam will then taper off the Remeron and then the lithium which was added as a mood stabiliser and  I am not bi polar.

DD

dd,

Thanks so much for sharing...we both just have to keep on trying and I need to try not to make any more posts that are so depressing. I made the post because I thought it might possibly help maybe one long term benzo user from reinstating.  That could save a life or save many years of pain and grief and sorrow.  I'm not going to make any more depressing posts on the forum.  I did it for the sake of the person who may have to go thorugh what I did and hopefully they can see an option that could help them stay off benzos.

We just can't give up....and I have to be more positive and optimistic but it's hard when the memories of the trauma return as so clearly explained by Parker.  Wishing you the very best on this long journey we are on.  I'm still fighting and so are you.  Otherwise, we would not even try to get help on a forum.  HUGS and try to hang in there...

Kian

Parker,

Bless your heart for such a kind reply.  I'm hoping that was the last depressing post I make on a public forum.  Please pray for me to make it off benzos and stay off.

As you can see, I am on Remeron and I was not on Remeron the last time I got off benzos so maybe, just maybe the Remeron will help me endure and stay off after I finish my cross over and then taper valium...(Lord willing)

I want to thank you so much for what I believe is the best explanation ever written about this experience.....I think it will help many many people to understand this better and to win this battle.....no matter how long it takes!!!  HUGS.

If your explanation does not rip open some hardcore light on this experience for people, NOTHING WILL..... way to go dear Parker...  :thumbsup::smitten:

Kian

Parket,  Just thought I'd chime in on Fish oils... It seems that every time I take fish oil, I will get a subdermal bleed resulting in a huge red/blue/purple  hematoma-looking black and blue looking area on one of my arms.  Anyone else report this?

Thanks

Benzotired,

Wow! i have no idea why you get that on your arm but my father gets the same exact thing and we've been trying to figure out what it is from? he doesn't take any fish oils so we don't know.

are you sure it's from the fish oil? what brand are you taking?

pretty

Hi Pretty,

I've had similar episodes over the years, but usually just a small bruise inside of my finger joints if I would grab something too hard. .  Since I've started the WD taper, however, I got this twice on my arms.  It looks like I'm  a nursing home patient whose arms look like I'm about 95 years old.  Know what I mean?  Anyway, I stopped the fish oil, didn't have any issues, waited a month, started it again, and got more bruising.

I've been taking the brand  Doctor's Pride, but the brand doesn't seem to matter regarding the bruisability from the fish oil.  I've had blood tests, platelet counts, bleeding times, etc., and all are normal.  I'm not taking any blood thinners or aspirin, etc, so I'm attributing it to the fish oil.

Has anyone else had bruising issues?

Yeah, i do know what you mean as i see it on my father;s arms and he is not in his 90's. he is on coumadin though.

i'd say it's got to be from the fish oil. that's really strange though. i never heard of that happening from fish oil.

have you read previous pages of this thread about where i was talking about that i had just recently heard about Dr. Ray Peat and his articles about PUFA's?

and how i am now feeling cautious about taking any fish oils at all until i read up more about this thing. and most other's on here are still pro fish oil.

i'm very upset about it and not sure which way to go as of now until firther research. maybe because i am still knee deep in early benzo withdrawal  i am feeling extra paranoid about everything. i'm sure when i have some nice windows i will understand more about where i stand about the fish oils. for now, i am just doing research and staying away from them.

and i don't know if that's good either--they could very well do me some good right now--i don't know?

all i do know is my f'ing brain is violent again after having calmed down a bit. and i can't walk or move or breathe and just being hit with another wave when i thought i was through the other side of this after 7 months. very upset. very very upset tonight! help!

oH God, this really hurts me tonight and i am crying right now. my brain is pounding so violently!!!!! i feel like screaming on here. wait maybe an emoticon will help ease this painhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sick/headache.gifthis is exactly what it's like right now. i feel nauseated. i wish i at least felt more like thishttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sick/resting-in-bed.gif

oh my God. i don't what just happened? my brain is just pounding so ferociously. i can't stop writing either. so nauseated. what's inside my brain? maybe i should read Parker's post again. i really think that i am the only one with this severe brain stuff. i know i've said that before. i really think so. no one would be able to handle this.

sorry for going off like this.

pretty

prettydaisys, have things eased for you at all now.  Really really hoping they have and also that you found something in Parker's legendary post that helped.  That is one expressive emoticon. 

I was going to report in that I've started on the Nordic Naturals fish oil that Parker is taking now.  I'm only on 1/2 tsp a day at the moment but strangely enough I was just commenting to someone earlier how my leg is all bruised and in too many places to be from one bump or the like. 

Thisbe - Do you take aspirin or any NSAIDS - they all thin your blood and could also be contributive to your bruising.  I am taking one capsule of fish oil in the morning and haven't seen anything like what you describe.

Also Pretty - if your father is taking Coumadin - that definitely could cause the bruising...that is known to do that...but please do keep up your research on the fish oil...anything you find could be helpful to all of us and I hope you feel better soon.

Hoping2BFree

I don't know if anyone has seen this article before, but I will link it for those who have not:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3225186/

God bless.

Very nice post Kev !!

I'm also taking Omega-3 (a regular dose nothing huge) and I think it does help a bit... anyway it didn't cause any bad symptoms and it also might help with raising my good cholesterol level, since on my last blood test it was too low... (which is the reason I'm taking it).

Anything in moderation should be fine I think...

Anyway, guess now according to the article, we should eat every other day ... but since a lot of people suffer from GI problems here (myself included), that might not be such a bad idea at all  :laugh:

Anyway, guess now according to the article, we should eat every other day ... but since a lot of people suffer from GI problems here (myself included), that might not be such a bad idea at all

There is evidently more than a little research to support the idea that intermittent fasting is beneficial to the brain. I wonder if anyone here has tried it?

There was an article in the Denver Post last week discussing how hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been used for brain injury patients. They have had success for coma victims and now are trying it for traumatic brain injury patients returning from  Afghanistan.    The people involved were trying to get FDA approval for this for TBI, and it might eventually follow that it would be covered by insurances. 

After reading this, I was naturally wondering if this might help us benzo folks once we are actually off the drug.

Seems like a realistic expectation if it helps nerve regeneration as it stated in the article.

We shall see.  Anyone else know anything about this??

I don't know if anyone has seen this article before, but I will link it for those who have not:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3225186/

God bless.

Thanks for another great article. I still think exercise is the most under appreciated part of recovery here on BB. Granted, a lot of us are too sick to do much but if and when we can the benefits are really significant.

i will definitely do the hyperbaric chamber. i already found a lady who i will go to.

not now though. i think my brain would freak out. i will wait until i'm healed of this benzo syndrome kindling withdrawal o my God, terrible wave right now.

but yes, since there is obviously a device inside my brain that's moving back and forth and hissing and cooking and sizzleing, i think i should have some oxygen for the little guy who has been saturated with benzo's. oh and opiates too.

oh and soma too. oh and maryjane and coffee and cigarettes. i quit the coffee and cigarettes the day i c/t'd in the detox. i quit it all. i'd say!

thank you Thisbe and Hoping2bFree,

the wave, my wave came on when i made that post last night and is going even stronger right now. i posted a new topic about it. i can't believe it. i thought i had turned a corner. i was feeling better. all i can still do all day long is just lay on the couch. but i am sleeping a lot. this is a bad wave. i don't know what's going on?

i will definitely keep doing the research on the fish oils. do you think that nordic naturals fish oil caused you to have a bruise?

pretty