How many people HAVE to work while tapering

[et...]

Hi Eliz

That's great on your workouts! I'll bet you're going to do well with your taper. I overdid my exercising a lot when I got excited about it and would have to slow things down a bit. But there was always month to month progress.

Hi One

I have an elliptical trainer, treadmill, rowing machine and bike at home. The elliptical trainer is definitely easier on the joints than the treadmill. The only reason I use my treadmill mostly is because it has a built in TV which helps the time pass easier with distraction.

Bart

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [et...]

• [...]

• [dr...]

• [Sm...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys - I have been walking for 1 hour through the summer and early fall daily with my wife. When I felt some irritating symptoms we just went for a short walk and it always helped. Now that it is getting cold and flippin raining almost every day I am on the treadmill again. Exercise helps everything!

Bart what's going on?

etown

Hi guys - I have been walking for 1 hour through the summer and early fall daily with my wife. When I felt some irritating symptoms we just went for a short walk and it always helped. Now that it is getting cold and flippin raining almost every day I am on the treadmill again. Exercise helps everything!

Bart what's going on?

etown

Hey man

Just finished my weight workout. Forgot to take my usual "hit" of cortisol blockers until the workout was already underway and never noticed any benzo w/d symptoms. I posted  on another board that this past week I had a dental crown, one particularly busy day at work, an evening of major dietary indiscretions, some heavy workouts and have remained symptom free. I wouldn't say I'm completely healed just yet as a "perfect storm" could probably flare up symptoms but it looks like I arrived at the end of my taper pretty close to healed. The minimally symptomatic taper can be done.

Bart

>>>>>respectfully snipped for brevity<<<<<<

Hi One

I have an elliptical trainer, treadmill, rowing machine and bike at home. The elliptical trainer is definitely easier on the joints than the treadmill. The only reason I use my treadmill mostly is because it has a built in TV which helps the time pass easier with distraction.

Bart

Thanks Bart!  So....between the elliptical and a recumbent bike, which would you choose if you only had room for one?  I still need the treadmill, at least eventually, for the "impact", which gives us that piezo-electric bone-building stimulation. And my super treadmill is already waiting in storage from when we downsized homes last year. Maybe low impact equip would be good for starting out while my ribs and spine adjust to the increase in activity. I just really want to get that BDNF and GABA upregulation cranking.  :D

Hey, is it true that theanine generates production of BDNF? That would be quite nice also.  :laugh:

Bart what's going on?

etown

Hey man

Just finished my weight workout. Forgot to take my usual "hit" of cortisol blockers until the workout was already underway and never noticed any benzo w/d symptoms. I posted  on another board that this past week I had a dental crown, one particularly busy day at work, an evening of major dietary indiscretions, some heavy workouts and have remained symptom free. I wouldn't say I'm completely healed just yet as a "perfect storm" could probably flare up symptoms but it looks like I arrived at the end of my taper pretty close to healed. The minimally symptomatic taper can be done.

Bart

Book!  Book!!  When does your book come out?  This word needs to spread!!!  I have never seen a "success story" this good!!   

Bart - I'm going to carry this little "Bart's the man" pendant in my pocket for the next few years. Congrats to a selfless person always willing to help a friend out. I really hope you check your computer once in a while. Never know when I am going to do something stupid. But stupid or not I get it brother. Whatever it takes...whatever it takes. I'd even contemplate giving you a big bear hug right now!

etown

http://i.imgur.com/5XXIYw6.jpg4ished

Thanks guys.

The above graph is courtesy of my good buddy Braban and represents my taper from where I started keeping track of it. The graph is a decay curve which is seen in a number of biologic systems and particularly with radioisotopes. Now my taper was  entirely symptoms based without regard to the calendar or any type of schedule. During the taper, my symptoms slightly diminished and then fizzled out near the very end. The significance of all these numbers  is that this graph is direct evidence that healing does in fact occur during a taper and that it follows a common pattern seen in biologic and biochemical systems.

Hey One

Sorry, no book and no patent pending. It's all in my posts. I'm aware of one published article where the author appears to have "lifted" a few paragraphs from my posts. I don't care and freely give permission to any future authors who care to use material from any of my posts.

Bart the Done

Bart - I'm going to carry this little "Bart's the man" pendant in my pocket for the next few years. Congrats to a selfless person always willing to help a friend out. I really hope you check your computer once in a while. Never know when I am going to do something stupid. But stupid or not I get it brother. Whatever it takes...whatever it takes. I'd even contemplate giving you a big bear hug right now!

etown

Etown, good on ya for the daily walks! I'm ready to follow suit, just as soon as I can get my body to follow suit, lol. 

On the "Bart the Man" pendants, I think you've got a marketable idea there!  I would carry one too as a totem, amulet, good luck charm, and very interesting conversation piece.  AND it could be included with each purchase of his book. Or maybe only included with the pricier "signed" copies?  :socool:

Yesss thank you soooo much Bart for using education, determination, experimentation, will power, science and True kindness for the times you gave me answers, when my world was dark and bleeding terror. For every time I went to a new doctor or the ER with no help, no answers, no hope.... You took the time to answer my questions in the blink of an eye. Never would I ever imagined that a person I will never meet, never see and never know the name of... Would ever help me sooo much threw the worst chapter of my life..... With wisdom and simple words... Thank you just isn't enough to describe my gratitude...I wish you all the peace, in all your days and the energy you have given me to beat this benzo devil will Be truly reflected in the Life I live in the future.

Btw sure hope you stay around for awhile....

Mr scared Ottawa Canada.

Hi Eliz

That's great on your workouts! I'll bet you're going to do well with your taper. I overdid my exercising a lot when I got excited about it and would have to slow things down a bit. But there was always month to month progress.

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the encouragement.  Unlike you I do not actually like exercise - probably why I have been sedentary for so long.  It is hard to argue with your success though, so I get out of bed every morning at 4:30, down 16 oz of water and vitamin C first thing, then do my squats and get on the elliptical machine.  If I get it over with first thing it accomplishes two things for me; I don't have to make excuses at the end of the work day when I am too tired to want to do it, and I don't have to worry about it being too late in the day to exercise for fear it will prevent me from falling asleep.

Thank you so much for providing a good example for the rest of us with your attention to improving your health during the taper and advice for a slow symptom based taper to still live a productive life.  We can all see proof now that it is possible to end this free of pain and suffering.  I intend to follow your example no matter how long it takes because I want the same thing for myself. 

OneLove,

The treadmill is less overall effort than the elliptical but the elliptical is low / no impact compared to the treadmill.  I had to start with only 5 minutes on the elliptical even at the zero resistance setting at first because it is more work than just walking (at least for me).  But I feel with the elliptical, I am getting a better overall exercise regimen and I have a lot of room to increase intensity and train the brain as I go.  Plus I have the elliptical at home and don't have to go to a gym.  When I reach 30 minutes at zero resistance, I still can slightly raise the resistance as time progresses and continue to challenge myself probably indefinitely.  Maybe you could start with the treadmill and work up to being able to handle the elliptical?  I am glad you are willing to start.  Anything is probably better than nothing, right?

Sign me up for a "Bart the Man" button  :thumbsup:

Hi Bart,

You mentioned dental work.  I have an appointment for my 6 month cleaning on Monday and all should be well but there is a small bottom molar we have been watching to see if it needs a filling at some point.  If it turns out that the xrays show that it is time to do this, is there any type of numbing agent I should tell them not to use?

In case Bart does not see this - anyone else have any advice?

TGIF!

Hi Bart,

You mentioned dental work.  I have an appointment for my 6 month cleaning on Monday and all should be well but there is a small bottom molar we have been watching to see if it needs a filling at some point.  If it turns out that the xrays show that it is time to do this, is there any type of numbing agent I should tell them not to use?

In case Bart does not see this - anyone else have any advice?

TGIF!

Hi eliz

I just ask that the numbing agent have no epinephrine in it. I had a nasty flare up of symptoms once when I got lidocaine with epinephrine for a dental procedure. No problems with plain lidocaine or carbocaine.

Have fun. I hate going to the dentist.

Bart

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the tip.  I don't hate the dentist anymore - It usually is just a minor cleaning since I am a good flosser but with my luck this year, this will be the visit that they decide this tooth finally needs the filling!

Elia and B-man - I have had no problems with freezing and have been torture tested more during my taper than the rest of my life combined.

White knuckles

etown the dentist hater

Thanks Etown!

I never heard of freezing the tooth to fill it..............

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  I have nothing special planned except driving to the west side of town to meet my grass fed meat farmer who drives in from Arizona with her wares once a month for us customers here.  She has the best fresh ham this time of year.  Yummmmmmm.  Oh and farm fresh eggs too!

Hi everyone,

Well I had a job interview for a f/t job last week! I so hope to be joining your ranks. I will be nervous, as I haven't worked f/t since 2008. Not many jobs in my field available on this island. I will also admit, I've been holding so I'm not tapering but I plan to do a micro taper as soon as I get "the ropes" in my new job. Yes, I'm still on a pretty high dose of V but I had to hold. Even at that, I was getting desperate as my w/d Sx were still cycling pretty high. Some research and experimentation (Thanks BB forum) and magnesium, cream of tartar and probiotics have helped me to mostly stabilize with low level Sx. Also learned about glutamates and although they were not a big part of my diet, am now watching out. Sigh of enormous relief!  :thumbsup: I know I'm one of those people who will benefit from working. I love counseling and I get energy from it. Although I think 40 hours/wk is too much for any human life, well that's the system at the moment and I'll be grateful to get it for now. I've promised my body that I'll give it extra attention, rest and care. Love this thread, lost it for awhile, now bookmarked. All the side journeys help me to learn. I hope all of you are enjoying your weekend (it's Saturday night here). With heart, healingme  :smitten:

I had fillings done when I was a kid with no pain killer. It scarred me for life, just the thought.

So no one goes near me unless I get laughing gas. I had it last August, no problems with it AND I had Novocain, (Procaine) . I think I"m lucky because I have no trouble with either.

For many years it was the only experience I ever had at feeling "stoned", because my headaches were so bad that I would not go near even beer, one of my favorite addictions (I LOVE beer!), so I only drank the non-alcoholic brands. Turns out I had a problem with caffeine, not beer. :)

When they put me in the chair to get drilled, I tell them not to come near me until I am so wacked they could cut off my head and I wouldn't care. Even so, I am terrified of the sound of the drill, so I tell them to watch my RH, when I tell them dial it up, they better do it!

It's really amazing stuff if it does not bother you, because I honestly don't care about anything while they drill, and I can deal with the minor irritation of numbness wearing off.

But my wife can't handle the pain killer or the gas. Either one sets her off. She just can't take pills. One half glass of wine is enough to put her under, so if we go any place I remain the designated driver. ;)

Healing - welcome to this thread and your are welcome to hang out with us whether you are working or not. Let us know how the job turns out. What island do you speak of? I'm glad you are well enough to work or just tough enough!

Gaer - nice to hear from you buddy. Sounds like you're on you way. Thanks for stopping by. I must admit I laughed my ass off reading your post. We need your humour so don't be a stranger.

etown

Hey guys - After a tough summer with lots of learning I can say with a clear head and limited symptoms that I have dipped into the single digits. I am going to slow down quite a bit the rest of November so my wife and I can take a week off work and head south. I'm looking forward to a good rest and some warmth. I appreciate all of your support of this thread and I can assure you it will be chugging along with my assistance for some time to come. The biggest lesson I have learned is to take this whole tapering game slow and gauge my taper to my symptoms. I am sorry to say that this method is very much reliant on starting with the right dose. So many buddies poo poo the slow taper but little do they know that if you fast taper, and your taper is ahead of your healing, a significant correction in the dose may be required. Most people are reluctant to correct their dose. I can work and run my business and live my life relatively normal while I taper. I am healing as I taper and I figure to be almost totally healed when I am finished. I tossed the calendar out and ate my pride and now the end, although not that near, is not as fearful as it was. So far I have trained 2 doctors to support me lol. It has been quite a journey and a lot left to come but I pray I can keep my patience and stay healthy mentally and physically to the end. Remember, I was on Clonazepam for over 20 years and on Serax for 15. It has been a lab experiment from the getgo.

Don't lose faith it can be done with a minimum of pain and suffering

etown 

Hello E Town.... Great to hear ur in the single digits!!! I would like to say a huge THANK YOU!!! For all your input and support!!!! I was lost sooo lost months ago, all over the map and I really thought there is no way I will make it threw this....You Always tell me "You Always got options"...hold, slow down, updose. Your words of wisdom give me the lots of the peace I enjoy today.

Keep on.... Trucking!!!

Mr scared.

Yes - Here is to Etown for getting below 10mg and for all the help and support he has provided to me and many others!

Hi Healing,

I hope you get the job for which you interviewed.  I hear ya about 40 hour weeks.  Unfortunately, mine are closer to 60 - it is just the nature of the work I do. 

I hope everyone has a great week!  :smitten:

Thanks everyone - I have switched to dosing 4x daily....2mg at 10am, 2mg at 2pm, 2mg at 6pm and 2mg x2 at 10pm. The plan now is to take all the 2mg equally per day all the way down to 5mg total. Then I'll take all the 1mg daily equally down to zero. A mathematical nightmare but I'll figure it out. This allows for an exactly equal taper all the way down. Going to have to get superwife to help with the excel spreadsheet for this one. It will be more work reducing all 5 doses each day but it will mean routine for my brain.

etown

Working today with my brain rattling around in my head. Positive that everyone is looking at me and thinking...'That person is in w/d.' The paranoia running rampant today. It was Monday to begin with, my personal life is in an uproar, AND I am in w/d. I guess I won't run out of things to think about. :idiot: :idiot:

Colorado - I know the feeling. Just hit 10mg and I'm not really sure what caused the increase in symptoms but I am working through the thought process of doing an adjustment or two to settle things down a bit.

etown