Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

Well good.... you got a more clearer plan from the doctor.... Are you keeping track of what you are taking? it might be a good idea to start your progress log now because it makes it soooooo much easier to track your dose amounts and time line.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the fastest cut anyone has made...my dr told me to take the depakote and cut a half to a 1/4 pill every2 or 3 days..at that rate i will be off soon...i see him again in a month..i hope i have enough ativan to last me as he didnt give me a script for it,my script is from my old dr...can you believe im actually scared about thinking about being off this poision I mean I have been on it so long,,,i dont know what to exect..im sure u all felt the same,,i had been taking the depakote at night but dr said i could tale like one in the am and the other two at night so im trying it that way..im so anxious dont know if im doing it to myself as im still on 2 1/2 ativan....please any tips let me know!!

Whats the fastest cut anyone has made...my dr told me to take the depakote and cut a half to a 1/4 pill every2 or 3 days..at that rate i will be off soon...i see him again in a month..i hope i have enough ativan to last me as he didnt give me a script for it,my script is from my old dr...can you believe im actually scared about thinking about being off this poision I mean I have been on it so long,,,i dont know what to exect..im sure u all felt the same,,i had been taking the depakote at night but dr said i could tale like one in the am and the other two at night so im trying it that way..im so anxious dont know if im doing it to myself as im still on 2 1/2 ativan....please any tips let me know!!

I really don't know the fastest anyone has made, sweetpea.  If your new doctor won't give you another ativan prescription, you will need to taper off before you run out, right?  Have  you reduced your ativan intake at all since going on the depakote?

BTW, I was really scared to be off the ativan, too, even though I felt awful on it. I had been on it for nearly 20 years and was afraid I'd totally fall apart without it.  Instead, I've been getting my life back ever since I stopped taking it about 18 months ago.  Have faith in your body's ability to heal.  :)

hi Beeper,Yes when i saw the dr a week ago i was on 1 mg ativan 4 times a day plus 1 mg klonopin,,,i stopped the klonopin that day and i have tapered down to 2 1/2 to 3 ativan a day since going on the depakote.He had lowered the depakote for two days to 500 mg till he got my blood tests and i had to go back up to 750 mg last night ,he told me i could take one pill in the mornign and the other 2 at night thats what i did today was take one this morning and wow i feel out of it kinda fuzzy and i am scared ,he said to make another cut in the ativan and im afraid i will go crazy like when i was stopped off klonopin once before and went in mental hospital even thoug i was on ativan..but this depakote is suppose ti help me,,wish i could find some facts of where it does help for withdrawing///where do  i find your story beeper i have been on these meds 20 years too,and how should i taper more without feeling to bad

hi Beeper,Yes when i saw the dr a week ago i was on 1 mg ativan 4 times a day plus 1 mg klonopin,,,i stopped the klonopin that day and i have tapered down to 2 1/2 to 3 ativan a day since going on the depakote.He had lowered the depakote for two days to 500 mg till he got my blood tests and i had to go back up to 750 mg last night ,he told me i could take one pill in the mornign and the other 2 at night thats what i did today was take one this morning and wow i feel out of it kinda fuzzy and i am scared ,he said to make another cut in the ativan and im afraid i will go crazy like when i was stopped off klonopin once before and went in mental hospital even thoug i was on ativan..but this depakote is suppose ti help me,,wish i could find some facts of where it does help for withdrawing///where do  i find your story beeper i have been on these meds 20 years too,and how should i taper more without feeling to bad

Sweetpea -

I'm glad you are just on the ativan (no klonopin) and have reduced your daily dose down to 2-2 1/2mg per day from 3-4mg per day.  Good job!  :clap:  I know your doctor said to take the ativan "as needed" but I'm sure he's thinking you won't need to take it so much with the depakote on board.  You probably can't get away with zero symptoms but as long as you can function in your daily life, even if you feel a little fuzzy or anxious, you can continue dropping off from the ativan as  your doctor suggested.  Just keep reminding yourself of how different it is this time and that you are in control rather than the hospital.

You asked about my story and I had to look for my initial thread.  This is the point where I provided a brief history of my psych meds and depression.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=7207.20

I tapered off of about the same amount of ativan you are on now and without any depakote to help so I know you can do it, too.  :thumbsup:

besides helping me get off ativan does anyone know what else depakote does,i read its used as a mood stabilizer..im not bipolar or have never been told i am...im hoping it perks me up some but i dont know..we have a company dinner party tonight and im sure dreading it since my 10 pound weigh gain from last years dinner and feeling kinda anxious and down im not looking forward to it..there will be lots of drinking there and you know how i miss drinking i dont even thil this place serves non alkie beer and hubby plans on partying hard....wish me luck i will have to take me depakote late in the evening so i can stay awake!!

My computer has been down for a few days had to order new modem...but im still holoding at 2 1/2 ativan will drop again  next week...i think the depakote is kicking in for my mood now.Hopefully..Im still having lots of anxiety went for al long walk today...and meand my friend are going to start walking ot working out 3 times a week

My computer has been down for a few days had to order new modem...but im still holoding at 2 1/2 ativan will drop again  next week...i think the depakote is kicking in for my mood now.Hopefully..Im still having lots of anxiety went for al long walk today...and meand my friend are going to start walking ot working out 3 times a week

This is the best news I've seen from your corner of the world in quite some time, sweetpea.  :mybuddy:  I'm so glad you are getting some help from the depakote as your doctor predicted.  I find that regular walking makes a world of difference in my anxiety, mood and ability to get a good night's sleep.  I walk my dog but you have a friend to walk with at least 3x/week so that is good, too.  :thumbsup:  Maybe you can plan to do something else the other 3-4 days so you always get a little movement and fresh air every day the weather will permit.  Pulling for you.  ;D

Thanks All Im giving it my best...the depakote sure upsets tummy though and bad dierehha but maybe it willgo away

Hmmm, a little too much info there! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do you find the depekote providing relief and have you made any cuts while on it?

lol sorry about that,i cut to 2 yesterday so thats down from 4 yes,i think the depakote is whats helping me doing it,,,,just wish i was a bit more full of  life...but i know in time that will come....got a pool tournamnet to go totoday..wish me luck there

tried to cut to 2 mg but was not able yet so today i will cut to 2 1/4i guess i did do it for 2 days and had to go back to 2 1 1/2.....feeling kinda low anad the diziness is kinda coming back...im scared again

Sweetpea  :therethere:

We all get disturbing and sometimes uncomfortable symptoms both withdrawing from benzos and from other drugs.  I wish you would start challenging those fearful thoughts and "reframing" how you see what's happening.  For instance, when I had the constant body sweats and it went on for months, I told myself the sweating was getting the benzo out of my system and that it was a good thing.  Did I worry occasionally that it might never stop? Sure, that thought would pop up, especially in the middle of the night when I had to change my pajamas because they were soaked through.  But I knew I wanted to get off lorazepam and that this was the price of wellness.  You can do it, too.  :thumbsup:

How did the pool tournament go?

The tournament went well...My dr had me drop 1 deapkote to see if that helps i will see himon the 11th..i saw my counsler yesterday...thats going good,,,,ijust feel sobalh but down to 2 1/4 atiavan now,,,ihope i get the coping skillsdown and over this fear that there is something constantly wrong with me or i may bea basket case once imoff....but im going to church tommorow and i have been exercising.....hopefully tummy problems will settle down

Does anyone here know why cutting back on depakote from 750 mg to 500 mg would make me feel so tired? The pahramist says even id it lowered the body hasd to get used to the new blood level again...today has been awful i can barely stay awake...praying im back up tommorow

and is depakote addicting?

http://www.ehow.com/way_5306468_way-stop-taking-depakote.html

Depakote is a prescription, anticonvulsant medication used to prevent seizures. It is also used to treat some symptoms of bipolar disorder, including periods of abnormally extreme highs, and to help prevent migraine headaches. Some doctors prescribe Depakote for purposes not indicated by its labeling, such as drug addiction withdrawal and obsessive compulsive disorder. Prescribing medication off label is a common practice. Because Depakote is used to subdue an active brain, for those who stop taking Depakote too abruptly, withdrawal symptoms may occur.

Depakote side effects from drugs.com

Seek emergency medical attention if the person taking Depakote has nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or loss of appetite, low fever, dark urine, clay-colored stools, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes). These symptoms may be early signs of liver damage. Some of these symptoms may also be early signs of pancreatitis.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, or if you feel agitated, hostile, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Depakote: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

unexplained weakness with vomiting and confusion or fainting;

easy bruising or bleeding, blood in your urine;

fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;

fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;

urinating less than usual;

hallucinations (seeing things that aren't there);

extreme drowsiness, lack of coordination; or

double vision or back-and-forth movements of the eyes.

Less serious Depakote side effects may include:

mild drowsiness or weakness;

diarrhea, constipation, upset stomach;

depression, anxiety, or other emotional changes;

changes in your menstrual periods;

enlarged breasts;

tremor (shaking);

hair loss;

weight changes;

vision changes; or

unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

Does anyone here know why cutting back on depakote from 750 mg to 500 mg would make me feel so tired? The pahramist says even id it lowered the body hasd to get used to the new blood level again...today has been awful i can barely stay awake...praying im back up tommorow

and is depakote addicting?

It will take some time for the higher level of drug to work it way out of your system, sweetpea.  Also, many psych meds have side effects that go away after you've been on them a while.  It is possible to get depakote blood levels checked and your doctor may want to do that at some point if this side effect doesn't disappear after a few weeks.

As far as I can tell, depakote is not addicting.  HOWEVER, even the manufacturer stresses the importance of tapering off of it.  So when you are ready to stop taking it, get a taper plan from your doctor, okay?

Im not liking how im feeling..im thinking its the depakote more than cutting back on ativan as for so long before i went up to the 4 mg i was on 2 1/2 mg...i just dont feel right and im sickof the loose stools,,,i feel kinda withdrawn.see dr on thursday oh and now i have nausea