Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

I have always drank non alkie beer on all the meds i have been treid on...my new dr even told me i could have a occasional real beer...which i wont do....non alkie has less than 0.5 alchol by volume but i swear i drank some over the weekend and thought i felt a buzz....how could that be...i mean i drank it with ativan,klonopin,celexa,abilify,risperdal u name it and never got a buzz...and back for years i drank reall beer on xanx....would it be from the prozac or my imagination.....i know this is a silly question...have any of you drank on your meds

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Question....you may all remember that i have complained of walking wieerd and feeling like im falling while i was on ativan and abilify....well now im on xanax and prozac and i have a slow unsteady walk..i was reading where xanax can cause that,my counsler even commented on my walk...so he has me doing eg exercises becasue i have been so inactive....but my fear is i have serotonin syndrome as today i have a killer headache..have any of u exxperienced a odd walk while on benzos

Hey sweatpea!

could I ask you to do us 1 favor and update your signature...I for one am losing track of all the benzos you are taking...I think your on xanax now?

Hi Sweetpea,

I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling with the Xanax, this is a tough process. It doesn't sound like the Prozac is doing much for you either.  If I were you, I'd avoid even the nonalcoholic beer, who needs the aggravation?

Here's a link on how to input information into your signature, I hope it helps.  Let us know if it's a problem, we can help!  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.0

Pam

• 2 weeks later...
my dr added adderall to boost my antidepressant a little over a week ago...and im nervous cause i got a new script of prozac and its a different color ...and im having the pain behind my left breast and shoulder yesterday it was pain behind the right breast and shoulder so im thinking it must be heartburn or tension not my heart surely it wouldnt switch back and forth if it was my heart

Hi sweetpea,

Thanks for adding a signature, but since your Dr put you on another med, I guess you'll need to update it!  ::)  What you're feeling sure feels like withdrawal symptoms, probably nothing to worry about.  I wouldn't worry about the different color Prozac either, you probably just got a generic form from the pharmacy. 

Pam

• 2 weeks later...
well i go see my new dr tommorw for the last time he has got his liscence revoked...and im not much bettr..all i can teell the adderall has done is up my heartrate....and my anxiety is bad and all i do is worry about the heartrate..dr said the adderall would boost me abd give me energy for my refractory depression...and im wondering aftr neing off xanax for 2 years will it maybe work better or not at all..i can t tell as im sostressed over the depression

Hi sweetpea,

Are you going to look for another Dr since the one you've been seeing has lost his license?  Maybe when you find one, he'll be better able to manage your situation, since your current one doesn't seem to have done you much good at all.

Pam

the history use of xanax i hate it

that pill was bitter nasty taste i destroy my life with that medicine...

it helped me but after it wore off it was not good no more

i took max 4mg i should of been dead what i have done...

4mg everyday at once 2 pills at once

been on benzos twenty years..juzst dianosgeed as a hyperchrodriac,,,since has come on after stopping xanax and beer cold turkey on 07  nothing has been able to help me since....so my dr added 2 beers a night along with my xanax that i have been put on after 2 years of bouncing between ativan and klonopin..several pharmmsists have said 2 beers and these meds is fine others say no..i just know i never had a problem drinking with xanx for 6 years and i was also on depakote ...now it adderall prozac and xanx and it must take meds longer to work for refractory depresssion i guess

I've known folks who augment their drugs by consuming alcohol, this to me is what these people are suggesting.  Your drugs no longer work as advertised, so instead of upping the dose, they suggest supplementing with alcohol which works on the same GABA receptors.  Why not just increase the dose, why not get off the drug because you've reached tolerance?

Why do your pharmacists and Dr's suggest a reckless and potentially lethal what to enhance the effects of the drug?  There is a possibility of suppressing your respiratory system by ingesting benzo's and alcohol.  I feel the risk far outweighs the benefit.

• 1 month later...

went to new dr onJune3,i like him very much has been in practice 50 years,he wanted me to try to up my prozac and switched me from adderalll to ritalin and said call back in a week Upping the prozac made me worse somy drs assoiate stopped it and put me on wellbutrin sr ,,,3 days ago i got tingling all thru my body i felt it was the ritalin so i called dr he said stop it,..talking to my pharmist he feels its withdrawal from the prozac,and feels i should stay on ritalin called dr back he put me back on prozac,,,but i didnt ask about the ritalin other than we agreed it proberly wsnt causing the tingling..so im  still taking it just to see if the tingling stops by adding the prozac back in...i was doing ok tll the tingling and then i also fekt more depressed..even with the wellbutrin sr so i guess both have to get in my body Im still on the xanx and at this time in my life i just want to feeel some joy...so im exercising...Im also a hyperchrodriac and have somazation syndrome so im not a easy case

Hope u all are well

I'm glad you like your new doctor and have confidence in him.  I hope the med changes will help you and that you do experience some joy in your life.  Exercising is supposed to be great for depression; I really should do more of it myself.

Take care.  :mybuddy:

i think the wellbutrin is causing the tingling but dr says stay on it till i talk to him next week i have never had tingling over my whole body so i dont really thinks it is my anxiety....hope its not allergic reaction,but i have no rash just tingling

I'm glad you are going to give the Welbutrin a chance.  All psych meds have side effects and tingling doesn't seem too bad.  I'll bet you can learn to ignore it after a while.  Also, a lot of the side effects disappear after you take it a few weeks.  Hope this one works for you.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Any advice for me tyou guys..ever since being put on my new meds in march i get this rightsided head eye ear,cheel,neck shoulder and paion under right breast..........its horrrible...looking back i see i used to get in th 90s and i had it i 06...the only simlariteis is i have been on xanax everytime this happens.......its very painful abd burns so much blow rigth breast i want to beaat my head in...no pharcists have ever heard of this and my dr thinks is just a symtom of my somanaztion disorder/////Also big thing is the prozac has killed my desire for sex i could care less,me and hubby havent had actual sex since before maarch well thats depressing so dr addd wellbutrin sr been on it since the 10th and i notcice nothing.........its makinhg me more depressed,plus the weigh i have ganed obprozac i was on it last year and thats when the weight piled on....im no longer dizzy as it stooped as soon as i got off ativan..back all those 17 years xanx was my happy pill now i can tell it barely does anything..will be seeing dr on the 30th,but dont want to cahnge meds right now as we r leaving to alaska on july 9..I dont hink i will every be as carefree as i was when i drank my beer and took my xanax all those 8 years....dr gave me permision to ahve a couple 3.2 beers but it still scares meas im on wellbutrin sr,prozac,xanax and adderall.I upped to 50 mg of prozac today will see how that goes..he wants me up to 80...i dont understand why otehr people feel happy on antidepresants and i dont i think  im  a lost cause

Hi sweetpea,

Your medications are too complex for me to address, perhaps you could write everything down, all your symptoms and when they occurred and take this to your Dr appointment.  Do you have one prescribing Dr, I hope so.  It wouldn't be good to have many of them and them not being aware of what the other is giving you.

Your trip to Alaska sounds fun.

Pam

So you are taking Adderall, it's basically an amphetamine...benzo's and an AD? IMO you are speedballing.  First off I would consider tapering the adderall, just to be safe. I have went through amphetamine withdrawal in the past, it's laughable, but I wasn't going through benzo w/d at the time. I just cried for a few hours.